Forum Settings
Forums

Recommend me an anime (be warned, Im the pickiest you'll ever meet).

New
Jan 12, 2013 2:54 PM
Jan 2013
So Im looking for an anime right now. I prefer either samurai/demon/vampire/monsters/fighting genre, doesnt have to be present in one series, which is impossible. I hate anything with high-tech gears in it. I prefer animes wherein the main characters are in an adventure, fighting or whatever.

Hates:
-high tech gears/ robots
-bad art/animation
-lousy motion
-overly creative
-1-story-per-episode

-over 10 episodes or movies.
-string of events, story that goes on as an entire arc

Animes I have watched:
1. Howls Moving Castle (hate it, too overly creative, I find it schizophrenic, didnt bother with the other animes of Miyazaki).
2. Full-metal alchemist (dont like it, the main character lacks charisma, same goes for the dueteragonist, story line is nice, but my dislike for the main character didnt allow me to bother 10+ episodes).
3. Vampire Knight (It was nice, characters are mysterious, storyline was well made up, art work good.)
4. Hunter X Hunter and 2011 (Its a work of art, nuff said.)
5. Betrayal knows my name (I think I like it, even though I find the main protagonist lacking in the appeal department, but it is made up by the mystery that envelopes the other characters. Kept laughing too, since theres i find it rather bishounen, which i ridiculously find "positively" disturbing, artwork is one of the best).
6. Code Geass (it ultimately bored me to death. Robots dont appeal to me, but I thought Id give it a try but i find that the climax just kept on climbing, and climbing, and climbing and climbing so much it
was mentally exhausting and i didnt bother finishing the entire episodes.
7. Claymore (its a work of art, the main character is not like the other main characters of other animes. I find her traits as a main highly unusual and as such, unique, coupled with the dark mystery that surrounds the other characters equals epic anime that i love).
8. Naruto - dont recommend this one.
9. Bleach - dont recommend this one.
10. Trinity Blood (50% I like, 50% I dont).
11. Black Buttler (only watched 3 episodes, I guess Im too unforgiving).
12. Vampire Hunter D (i liked it)
13. Hell Girl (a waste, the everything was amazing, but its kinda episodic. I want a story
that goes on and on. Only watched 2 episodes).
14. One piece - its okay, Im yet to find where I last stopped and continue.
15. fairy tale (when mystogan went away i lost interest).
16. Rurouni Kenshin (its nice as the story flows an entire arc)
17. Samurai deeper kyo - thought it was interesting, watched it 5 years ago.
18. rosario-vampire (i watched 3 episodes yesterday and i already forgot who the main character is)
19. Get backers (50/50)
20. Devil may cry (<3)
21. cant remember the others, probably because i find the other series downright horrid).

Advice, I prefer something thats like hunter x hunter or rurouni, claymore etc. :)
Jan 12, 2013 2:56 PM

Oct 2012
Uhh...I guess check out Magi. Still airing though :s

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Jan 12, 2013 2:56 PM
Jul 2012
Black laggon
Phantom requim
Jan 12, 2013 3:19 PM

Mar 2008
yeah, you might like Black Lagoon
Samurai Champloo
also, have you tried out Death Note? you didn't mention it, but usually it's one of the first anime people watch (just saying, maybe you forgot to list it)
Hellsing Ultimate
Psycho-Pass
Fate/Zero
Jan 12, 2013 3:20 PM

Feb 2012
Try Soul Eater fits description perfect ,but maybe little overly creative.
Also highly suggesting Berserk same genre like claymore ,but way better and darker. Try series ,but art really bad.If you really hate bad art you can watch movies with skipped story .
Jan 12, 2013 3:31 PM

Jan 2013
xeek said:
Also highly suggesting Berserk same genre like claymore ,but way better and darker. Try series ,but art really bad.If you really hate bad art you can watch movies with skipped story .

This, but only as long as you are fine with an unfinished story (covers only a part of the manga). Claymore was the same too i think so it may not be too big of a deal. The story arc is still complete. Avoid the movies though cause they may have worse animation than the series (cg...) and the story is lacking.

And u should give a chance to other Miyazaki movies (Princess Mononoke/Nausicaa).
Jan 12, 2013 3:33 PM
Mar 2012
I think you'll love.....
Death Note (highly sequential)
Durarara!!
Nodame Cantabile ( It's a little outside of your preferred anime,but give it a try)
K Project (The plot is a little all over the place, but the art is sooo good.)
Jan 12, 2013 3:35 PM
Jan 2013
Im watching Magi now. art is well done. :) but we i shall find out if the story is too! Ill give soul eater and black lagoon a try later. :) Watched(and like) death note, everything is reminiscent of code geass, only that there are no robots in there :) I will try the berserk films too :) yes i agree the art is bad :( but no idea there are movies. Thank you all. *big hugs
Jan 12, 2013 3:47 PM
Feb 2012
I'm guessing you like those old fashioned 90s-early 2000s anime so Inuyasha, tenjou tenge
Jan 12, 2013 3:49 PM
Jan 2013
Thank you all for the responses! Please keep recommendations flooding! :)))))

I want something that will make me want to watch the next episode!!! Like Im saying "omfg, what will happen next omg omg" you get the drill. :))
Jan 12, 2013 3:50 PM
Jan 2013
Yusa-pyan said:
I'm guessing you like those old fashioned 90s-early 2000s anime so Inuyasha, tenjou tenge

I actually want new ones, since they tend to have better animation. Or maybe Im wrong? I did watch inu-yasha, and im a sesshoumaru fan before :D
Jan 12, 2013 4:02 PM

Aug 2012
Steins; Gate Derp.

Eve no Jikan

Sakamichi no Apollon.

Those are my top picks; if you don't like even one of them, then I can't help you .__.
Jan 12, 2013 4:05 PM

Sep 2012
GoldenBRS said:
Phantom requim
Jan 12, 2013 5:13 PM

Jun 2012

Seconding this, it got me attached to the screen, wanting to know what happens next.
Wallace-Jan 12, 2013 5:46 PM
Jan 12, 2013 5:28 PM
Oct 2011
Thirding Basilisk. Imagine Romeo and Juliet in a world of ninjas? That's it! but with some action and war between the clans, gore and some nudity are included too, in addition to supernatural abilities.

Thirding Magi, it's one of the better shounen out there, it has an adventure feel to it too. If you read manga then check out the manga, it has great art.

Seconding Fate/Zero too if you want an anime about a clash of ideologies of those from the past and the present, presented in an awesome execution and one amazing animation.

Seconding Durarara!!, the cast is cool, and the series is all about the cast.

Adding:
Zetsuen no Tempest - it starts with action but the recent 4-5 episodes were a battle of brains, ala Death Note.
Afro Samurai - one bad-ass samurai on the road of avenging his samurai father who was killed in front of his eyes by a gun-wielder . Great animation, great fights, and 5 episodes only. (don't bother with the movies btw)
Sengoku Basara - one of the characters uses Engrish a lot. The series is fun to watch too.
Candor123Jan 12, 2013 5:35 PM
Jan 12, 2013 9:51 PM

Apr 2009
efmp1987 said:

13. Hell Girl (a waste, the everything was amazing, but its kinda episodic. I want a story
that goes on and on. Only watched 2 episodes).
Skip to episode 9 where the main plot kicks in. Also, I can't think of a whole lot of anime where the main plot only takes two episodes to be established, unless they're the average shounen or are only 12 eps long.
Jan 12, 2013 10:09 PM

Aug 2012
Yu Yu Hakusho, hands down. My absolute favourite Anime of all time, as good as Shonen gets. Picture Bleach only far more original, far more creative and in general far better written. Written by the same dude as Hunter x Hunter, so I can guarantee it's the kind of thing you're looking for. I strongly recommend watching the Dub, because it packs a lot more of a punch than the original Japanese version.
Jan 12, 2013 10:22 PM

Jul 2012
Desert Punk, probably not gonna like the art but its really funny.
Jan 12, 2013 11:25 PM
Dec 2011
Berserk, though not the newest anime, but the story is worth it.

Maybe Sword art online
Jan 12, 2013 11:31 PM

Dec 2010
Nurarihyon no Mago - the second season is even better

Juuni Kokuki

Katanagatari - the art is pretty unique but i loved it

also seconding soul eater
Jan 13, 2013 1:01 AM
Jan 2013
lezmurf said:
Berserk, though not the newest anime, but the story is worth it.

Maybe Sword art online

I second Beserk the series and the first movie kinda sucked but the second one is kick ass

suprised no one said baki the grappler I highly reccomend even though it doesnt really end....
Jan 13, 2013 1:16 AM

Apr 2012
efmp1987 said:

20. Devil may cry (<3)

Not sure if troll... of just stupid.
"I’m not going there to die; I’m going to find out if I’m really alive."
~Spike Spiegel - The Real Folk Blues Pt II
Jan 13, 2013 1:20 AM

Jun 2012
Ao No Exorcist

You might enjoy Mirai Nikki but the story it's really complex
Jan 13, 2013 1:39 AM

Apr 2009
OP, forget about everything and watch Hellsing Ultimate =). Takes a couple of episodes to introduce characters and lore, then it's a single story, then it's even more monolith unfolding on a single night and the dawn after for 5.5 episodes. 10 episodes total, but that's an OVA, so those are 40+ minutes episodes.

Oh, actually Fate/Zero is also a good recommendation.
Jan 13, 2013 12:13 PM
Jan 2013
gloomlp said:
efmp1987 said:

20. Devil may cry (<3)

Not sure if troll... of just stupid.

thats suppose to be </3 but whats wrong if people like a specific anime and is loathed by another? Just like how full metalal alchemist is a top choice of so many anime goers but i totally hate it?
Jan 13, 2013 12:17 PM

Apr 2008
It's the second time I suggest Seirei no Moribito today, but it fits your tastes well. Arts are good and story develops gradually episode after episode.
Jan 13, 2013 12:32 PM
Jan 2013
chirale said:
It's the second time I suggest Seirei no Moribito today, but it fits your tastes well. Arts are good and story develops gradually episode after episode.

already watched! Thought it was nice. :)

More topics from this board

» Anime similar to live-action action movies?

Skuletor - Apr 18

10 by Skuletor »»
2 hours ago

» I find it absolutely absurd I can’t find a manga with gay marriage legalized

isseixkoneko - Apr 25

2 by isseixkoneko »»
2 hours ago

» Movies

BitChilly - Yesterday

10 by TheSunLife »»
3 hours ago

» Looking for anime like Aria the Animation and Shiroi Suna no Aquatope

AdityaRizkiS - 11 hours ago

4 by Chisuku »»
4 hours ago

» Almost cyberpunk sci-fi anime

Eternal-Destiny - Apr 25

6 by mo_lave »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.