Forum Settings
Forums

Has an anime had an effect on your relationships?

New
Jan 4, 2013 1:19 PM

May 2011
For e.g. like you broke up with someone because of a character? anything anime related really

(its pretty low but i just thought of it)

but on a good side has it had good effects? more romantic? idk...
please make my breakfast every morning for me sweet cheeks! *bowling position"
Jan 4, 2013 1:22 PM
Apr 2012
Anime such as Eva have made me a lot more introspective, but other than that there's not been that much of an effect on me or my relationships.
Jan 4, 2013 1:23 PM

Aug 2012
Wasn't this already a thread somewhere?

No. Turned me into more of a... "passionate" kind of person though?
Jan 4, 2013 1:29 PM

Dec 2011
If this counts, I started to treat my siblings more kindly after I watched Grave of the Fireflies.
But breaking up/fighting/ending a relationship with someone because of a character? That's plain dumb.
Jan 4, 2013 1:49 PM

Oct 2011
renders said:
What's wrong with MAL lately?
and to answer your question no

Both of these. Why would you let something that happened in anime affect your real relationships? Are you one of those nuts planning on marrying anime characters, or something?
Jan 4, 2013 1:51 PM

Jan 2013
No, a friend of mine did however over a shrine he had built.
Jan 4, 2013 2:16 PM

Jun 2008
My ex and i used to watch anime together if that counts
Jan 4, 2013 2:24 PM

Sep 2012
Yes, my waifu get jealous when I'm watching other anime characters.
Jan 4, 2013 2:25 PM
Jul 2018
Anime can affect you on a deep, personal level, but it really should have no impact on your relationships. Those of which are completely unrelated to anime.
Jan 4, 2013 2:46 PM

Jun 2012
Superpieguy said:
Anime can affect you on a deep, personal level, but it really should have no impact on your relationships. Those of which are completely unrelated to anime.
It has nothing to do with anime. Any sort of story, whether it is about someone who you know, someone who has existed, an epic, a short story, a novel, a tv show, a movie, comic, etc. Story telling in general is meant to present morals for the audience, which connect to us on a personal level. You can't say anime this, anime that.

A story might be able to change your perspective on something that may or may not inadvertently change the way you behave in a relationship, but saying something like, "my relationship changed because of this story, or this character" is not only irrational but retarded, OP.

So, let me ask you the question, OP. Has anime ever changed your relationship(s).
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Jan 4, 2013 3:11 PM
Jul 2018
donotthrowsouls said:

But breaking up/fighting/ending a relationship with someone because of a character? That's plain dumb.

If someone's relationship fell apart because of an anime or a manga, then that relationship was doomed anyway.
Jan 4, 2013 3:25 PM

Oct 2012
Yeah, my girlfriend wanted to break up with me when she found out I watch Anime. Just kidding, I killed her.
Jan 4, 2013 4:49 PM

May 2011
NO XD i got bored and it came into my head and wanted to see reactions XD
Jan 4, 2013 5:06 PM

Nov 2011
I had a little fight with one of my cousins due to anime two weeks ago, was something like this:
- How can you watch that? Anime is so stupid!
- WHAT?! ARE YOU CRAZY OR WHAT? DON'T YOU DARE TO SAY THAT EVER AGAIN IN FRONT OF MY FACE!
- IT'S THE TRUE!
- NO IT'S NOT! AND WHAT DO YOU KNOW? AFTER ALL YOU'RE A SHALLOW AND BORING GIRL WITH NO HOBBIES
Jan 4, 2013 5:09 PM

Aug 2011
Nope. People deal with it.

Jan 4, 2013 5:12 PM

May 2011
I know someone that stopped watching anime because his dad didn't like him watching it saying it was "sad" and that he was "wasting to much time" they blocked the sites and even restricted his time on the computer. :/
Jan 4, 2013 5:16 PM

Jun 2012
Sukha said:
I had a little fight with one of my cousins due to anime two weeks ago, was something like this:
- WHAT?! ARE YOU CRAZY OR WHAT? DON'T YOU DARE TO SAY THAT EVER AGAIN IN FRONT OF MY FACE!
- IT'S THE TRUE!
- NO IT'S NOT! AND WHAT DO YOU KNOW? AFTER ALL YOU'RE A SHALLOW AND BORING GIRL WITH NO HOBBIES

You may want to check this out...
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Jan 4, 2013 5:17 PM

Jan 2012
Holybaptiser said:
Sukha said:
- IT'S THE TRUE!

aaw I thoght the link was the kid shoving his remote control in his ass because his mom cuts his internet xD
Jan 4, 2013 5:19 PM

Dec 2012
The only I could say it has done is made me realize how shallow almost every high school and many college relationships are, and how vital it is to find not the prettiest girl, or the one wiht the most $$, but the one who makes you feel the way you do when you watch things like ToraDora.

In other words, it's made me come to realize one has to be smart about relationships, as one is with everything else.
Jan 4, 2013 5:31 PM

Dec 2012
Kind of a long story but..
my friend named M was having a hard time because another friend of ours just out right rejected and said she doesn't want to be her friend anymore. So M texted me to come over and I did and I suggested watching The World God Only Knows episodes and some other animes to cheer her up and have some sort of entertainment but she down right refused after watching 15 minutes in and I unconsciously got turned off greatly (of course along with other reasons too).
After that I didn't feel like involving myself with neither of them in their drama (that I tried to think of a solution for) for the rest of the summer until school started. Then I would talk and stuff but M was being unreasonably mean and ignored me. That's it in a nutshell.

Other times it influences is in frequent conversations about a certain anime series we're watching or complaining about anime club being cancelled too much/the date being moved around.
Jan 4, 2013 5:32 PM

Apr 2011
It has had no effect whatsoever.
“Suppose, gentlemen, that man is not stupid.”
Jan 4, 2013 5:36 PM

Nov 2011
Holybaptiser said:
Sukha said:
- IT'S THE TRUE!

So I can act calm when someone insults something that I love? Hell no! People around me are going to respect the things I love!
Jan 4, 2013 5:36 PM

Apr 2011
Sukha said:
Holybaptiser said:
Sukha said:
- IT'S THE TRUE!

So I can act calm when someone insults something that I love? Hell no! People around me are going to respect the things I love!

Prepare to be lonely.
“Suppose, gentlemen, that man is not stupid.”
Jan 4, 2013 5:38 PM

Jan 2012
Ineptia said:
Sukha said:
Holybaptiser said:
Sukha said:
- IT'S THE TRUE!

Prepare to be lonely.

Funniest thing I've read today xD
because it's true
Jan 4, 2013 6:02 PM

Nov 2011
renders said:
Ineptia said:
Sukha said:
Holybaptiser said:
Sukha said:
- IT'S THE TRUE!

Prepare to be lonely.

Funniest thing I've read today xD
because it's true

That's hardly going to happen! I'm great and people enjoy being around me! And if it happens, who cares? I'll have more time for my career and hobbies! ;) One thing I know for sure it's that the kind of man I want to be stands up when someone insults something that he loves, so I'm gonna do it everytime that happens!
That happens? It happens? Man, english is so hard! xD
Jan 4, 2013 6:04 PM

Jun 2011
No, I'm naturally a recluse.
Jan 4, 2013 6:07 PM

Jun 2012
while having sex with my significant other, i have blurted out the name of a hentai character instead.

She swiftly chose to break up with me before climax
~"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands." (Pirsig)

Jan 4, 2013 6:16 PM

Dec 2012
I forgot to mention, I also make friends with people at anime conventions. And I bring my already friends friends to the anime panels and we have a jolly ol' time, too.
Does anyone else make friends with strangers at anime conventions? People there are usually very nice and fun.
Jan 4, 2013 6:20 PM

Jan 2013
I'll report about my life a little... I really get drawn into all of the anime relationship type things, as well as lessons animes try to teach. I've recently watched a couple of animes that have really made me want to get back together with my ex girlfriend... call me a crazy hormonal high schooler all you want but anime has really kind of made me realize a lot when it comes to my own feelings of love. I'll still fight for her even though I don't think that she has feelings for me anymore.
Jan 4, 2013 6:24 PM

Dec 2012
Regicide said:
while having sex with my significant other, i have blurted out the name of a hentai character instead.

RaspberryFruits said:
I forgot to mention, I also make friends with people at anime conventions. And I bring my already friends friends to the anime panels and we have a jolly ol' time, too.
Does anyone else make friends with strangers at anime conventions? People there are usually very nice and fun.

Don't I know it, nothing better than getting together with some friends and making fun of a terrible anime over some drinks. The guy with a microphone for a cock in Apocalypse Zero is a surprisingly good talking point when you're tipsy.
"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream!"

- George W. Bush
Jan 4, 2013 6:26 PM

Dec 2010
Yeah.

Now I have the personality that every girl who likes shoujo desires.

But I also have watched too many romance shows so I set the bar pretty high when looking for someone.

Jan 4, 2013 6:39 PM

Dec 2012
CNile said:
Regicide said:

RaspberryFruits said:

Don't I know it, nothing better than getting together with some friends and making fun of a terrible anime over some drinks. The guy with a microphone for a cock in Apocalypse Zero is a surprisingly good talking point when you're tipsy.

Heh I'd sometimes try to criticize an anime and make fun of it myself but sometimes it annoys the heck out of my friends. If I tried to poke fun at something while I'm drunk then nothing I say would make sense at all. I act drunk without even being drunk lol.
Jan 4, 2013 10:38 PM

Jan 2013
What relationship?
Try to defeat me but try in vain.
When I win I end your pain.
Jan 4, 2013 10:44 PM

Nov 2009
Learn from anime, young one
Jan 5, 2013 12:23 AM

Dec 2012
I don't see how it would..
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Jan 5, 2013 12:40 AM
Jan 2013
No, anime just made me look at the world on a different perspective. I've been noticing this though anime has somehow inspired me, you may find it weird but meeeh im happy with it.
Jan 5, 2013 4:08 AM

Apr 2011
I've never had a girlfriend, so no. As for family relations, I've always been an introvert, so no to that as well.
koleareJan 5, 2013 8:38 AM
Jan 5, 2013 5:27 AM

Mar 2012
Had a conversation with my friend yesterday

Him:You watch anime? That shit is for kids bro.

Me:Why do you say that?

Him:Its a fuckin cartoon..we're too old for that.

Me:A cartoon eh,well,I know you like to watch Happy Tree Friends,Family Guy and Simpsons..since they are cartoons as well,I say you have no right to say anything about me watchin anime

Him: Well,thats a different story,they are meant for older viewers.

Me: *Borrows him Hellsing Ultimate,Elfen Lied,Highschool DxD,R-15(uncensored) and School Days anime* When you watched one of these, I'd like to hear what you have to say.

So I left him alone to watch an anime, he decided to go for Hellsing.

When I came back to my room,

Him:Holy %#$$#!! Wtf is this?? This shit can't be legal..

Me: Thats not the point,if you say this is for kids,then you should be sterilized.
Its 420 out there somewhere.

Jan 5, 2013 5:53 AM

Nov 2012
It's made me stronger and I feel like I'm able to open up to people a lot more now. I've also noticed that girls are checking me out quite frequently. I don't mean to brag. Anime has also helped me with my weight lifting. haha it sounds kind of gay, but I'm starting to fear my own strength. I've been getting stronger and stronger every time I hit the gym, that now I have to use those heavy ass dumbells no one uses, and alot of 45 pound plates on all my barbell workouts. I dont have a gym partner so its kind of intimidating to do certain workouts alone with such heavy iron. Anyone have this little phobia? lol it wont stop me, but I'm getting really big into stretching cause the fear of injury from these workouts. It's kind of scary, lol
Jan 5, 2013 6:04 AM

May 2011
IDex said:
Kangaxx said:
What relationship?

friendship
love
etc
What i mean is from relationships i mean all kinds, good things such as meeting people at conventions or friends that think anime is crap and stuff. things that have an effect that could cause conflict between each other.

and yes about the For "e.g. like you broke up with someone because of a character?" i think i went a little to far on that XD Derps
Jan 5, 2013 6:12 AM

Jan 2012
DesolateOne said:
Yeah.

Now I have the personality that every girl who likes shoujo desires.

But I also have watched too many romance shows so I set the bar pretty high when looking for someone.

then you're gonna die a cat lady
Jan 5, 2013 6:14 AM
Jan 2013
I'm not really a open anime fan/weeaboo.
I can only imagine yelling something like that would be a bit ...strange.
To be fair i never tried it so i wouldn't know the outcome.
Jan 5, 2013 7:24 AM

Jul 2012
no, of course not
see MMOs - that shit leads to divorce!

More topics from this board

Poll: » whats the severity of social stigma for anime and its fans now a days?

deg - 32 minutes ago

3 by _cjessop19_ »»
2 minutes ago

» have you guys watched texhnolyze?

brainburger - Apr 21

37 by vampirismsxc »»
2 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

114 by vampirismsxc »»
5 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

86 by vampirismsxc »»
8 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - 23 minutes ago

2 by deg »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.