Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 11, 2012 4:17 PM
Dec 2012
I recently watched sword art online and I'm searching for an anime similar to this. I really like the style of SAO hero (Kirito) and i wish to watch someone like him.
Dec 11, 2012 4:19 PM

Sep 2012
>inb4shit taste

Hmm I think Ao no Exorcist might fit what you want. The protagonist is sort of OP'd and has the gung-ho act-first think-later mentality.
Dec 11, 2012 4:20 PM
Dec 11, 2012 4:39 PM
Dec 2012
i' l check them out
Dec 11, 2012 4:54 PM

Dec 2012
I suggest trying Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood if you haven't already. The protagonist is lovable like Kirito and has a traumatic background while having skills in alchemy to be reckoned with. It was really popular and for a good reason too.

Another one but a more dark anime I suggest is Darker than Black, just season 1 (the other seasons are bad). The protagonist here is one badass guy named Hei who is also unique in his powers too as a "contractor". If you want more of a serious or realistic theme then this is also a route to go on and includes a little more gore and psychological.

Take it from me who is an avid watcher/reader of anime's with lots of actions and really interesting protagonists.
Dec 11, 2012 4:59 PM
Jul 2012
2nding guilty crown
Dec 11, 2012 6:08 PM

Nov 2012
Also agreeing with Guilty Crown.
Dec 11, 2012 6:17 PM
Dec 2012
I have started 11eyes for now, dunno why:P But then im gonna see both fullmetal alchemist brotherhood and guilty crown for sure!! thank you all for your quick answers :D
Dec 11, 2012 8:03 PM

Jun 2012
Accel world! literally the future of that world. written by the same person, takes place 20 years or so after SAO ( so like 2043), same type of story involving VR.
Dec 11, 2012 8:05 PM

Jun 2012
3rding Guilty Crown if you want to watch something that gets more and more depressing every episode
Dec 11, 2012 8:11 PM

Dec 2011
Accel world is very similiar. In the anime it even showed that nerve gear exists in that anime lol.

Accel world
Guilty Crown

I'd say accel worlds ur best bet though...
Dec 11, 2012 9:29 PM

Aug 2012
4thing Guilty Crown
Dec 12, 2012 12:51 AM
Nov 2012
Guilty Crown
Hellsing Ultimate
Darker than Black

Since you like Gary Stu characters

Accel World was too cheesy for me, but you might possibly like it
Dec 18, 2012 6:19 AM

Jun 2009
Guilty Crown, Accel World and .hack//Sign.
Dec 18, 2012 6:21 AM

Dec 2012
Accel World, it was written by the same guy, that's enough of a plus if you liked SAO.
The forums are dark, and full of ego.
Dec 18, 2012 6:38 AM

May 2012
Does anyone read the OPs post? He said he wants a character similar to Kirito, and people are actually recommending Accel World? Krito, while flawed, is not a whining sissy in every single episode like Haruyuki.

OP, do yourself a favor, do not watch Accel World, it's a piece of crap with an absolutely terrible cast of characters.

I will say Ao no Exorcist, FMA: Brotherhood (though they focus on a wide range of characters, not just one), Scrapped Princess, Tales of the Abyss, Tokyo Majin, and Tsubasa Chronicle.
Dec 18, 2012 6:43 AM

Dec 2012
pilgrimm49 said:
Does anyone read the OPs post? He said he wants a character similar to Kirito, and people are actually recommending Accel World? Krito, while flawed, is not a whining sissy in every single episode like Haruyuki.

OP, do yourself a favor, do not watch Accel World, it's a piece of crap with an absolutely terrible cast of characters.

I will say Ao no Exorcist, FMA: Brotherhood (though they focus on a wide range of characters, not just one), Scrapped Princess, Tales of the Abyss, Tokyo Majin, and Tsubasa Chronicle.

Valinor said:
I recently watched sword art online and I'm searching for an anime similar to this.
Dec 18, 2012 6:54 AM

May 2012
Jovoo said:
pilgrimm49 said:

Valinor said:
I recently watched sword art online and I'm searching for an anime similar to this.

Valinor said:
I recently watched sword art online and I'm searching for an anime similar to this. I really like the style of SAO hero (Kirito) and i wish to watch someone like him.

Read bold above. This does not describe Haruyuki in any way shape or form.
Dec 18, 2012 6:56 AM

Feb 2008
Gundam Seed
Dec 18, 2012 7:02 AM

Dec 2012
pilgrimm49 said:
Jovoo said:
pilgrimm49 said:

Valinor said:

Valinor said:

Valinor said:

Read bold above. This does describe Accel World in every shape and form
Dec 18, 2012 7:45 AM

Dec 2009
I can't think of anything except kinda Araragi, Koyomi from Bakemonogatari
but I have a recommendation... wait for season 3 and you'll be fine ^^
Dec 18, 2012 9:43 AM
Nov 2012
Ixion Saga DT - I haven't watched this yet so I can't say if they are incredibly similar but both in a game. I think it is kind of like SAO just with the Romance replaced with Comedy.http://myanimelist.net/anime/14765/Ixion_Saga_DT

Btooom! - Yet again I don't how similar they are as, I have not watched it yet but from the looks of it they are not that similar however both take place inside a video-game.http://myanimelist.net/anime/14345/Btooom!

I choose these two due to them being in the same setting but unsure if you will like them as they may differ a lot from the different styles.
Dec 18, 2012 12:34 PM

Dec 2012
Sure one of the best anime SOA
Dec 18, 2012 1:20 PM

Dec 2012
btooom! should do the work
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Dec 18, 2012 1:21 PM

Sep 2012
Peten00b said:
why didn't anyone suggest Btooom? The concept is very similar D:
Because someone already did, and they aren't similar at all.
Dec 18, 2012 4:34 PM
Nov 2012
Jovoo said:
pilgrimm49 said:
Jovoo said:
pilgrimm49 said:

Valinor said:

Valinor said:

Valinor said:

Read bold above. This does describe Accel World in every shape and form

I wouldn't go as far to say that Haru in AW is the same or even alike to Kirito. I watched 12 episodes of Accel World because I assumed it would give me a SAO feel, but I was sadly disappointed and dropped the anime. Kirito never cried about mediocre things and is a direct example of a Gary-Stu character, whereas Haru cries WAY too much for his own good and doubts himself to the point where I literally dropped the anime. One memorable line from Accel World was when Silver Crow (whatever his name is), said that he must "atone for his sins" so hes going to help Haru. The level of cheesiness from watching that scene was literally the tipping point from making the anime "decent" to shit-tier. It has no realistic element to it at all. Let's be honest, the perks of competing in the Accel World would be the ability to use it in real life, so why is he calling it a sin when he used it to give him an upper hand in his competitions/tests/whatever.
Dec 18, 2012 6:52 PM

Feb 2010
Red_Keys said:
>inb4shit taste

Hmm I think Ao no Exorcist might fit what you want. The protagonist is sort of OP'd and has the gung-ho act-first think-later mentality.

I wonder what did you watch thinking it was SAO. AFAIK, Kirito most of the time went through the rational route, and that's why he was hated by quite a few due to using his previous knowledge for empowering himself instead of teaching the less experienced players.

The only instances where he went gung-ho were times when he got either desperate or cornered.

Btw, I like SAO but find Ao no Exorcist boring.
Ku ku ku~
Dec 18, 2012 6:54 PM

Sep 2012
Kojiro_S said:
Red_Keys said:
>inb4shit taste

I wonder what did you watch thinking it was SAO. AFAIK, Kirito most of the time went through the rational route, and that's why he was hated by quite a few due to using his previous knowledge for empowering himself instead of teaching the less experienced players.

The only instances where he went gung-ho were times when he got either desperate or cornered.

Btw, I like SAO but find Ao no Exorcist boring.
I think cocky would be a better word for what I was trying to say.
Dec 18, 2012 7:03 PM

Feb 2010
I don't really find him cocky except for a certain chapter when he does it on purpose, but I do recall him thinking he was getting too full of himself on the latest ones.

Well, back on topic...
If we ignore the setting, I think Sara Werec from Soukou no Strain might qualify.
Ku ku ku~
Dec 18, 2012 7:08 PM

Nov 2012
Boku No Pico
Dec 18, 2012 7:37 PM

Jun 2009
James2705 said:
4thing Guilty Crown

5th Guilty Crown
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 18, 2012 7:40 PM

Apr 2011
mars of destruction, just as good
Dec 18, 2012 7:41 PM

Jan 2011
Try watching any of Idea Factory's works. Truly great masterpieces that can satisfy any anime fan.
Dec 18, 2012 7:53 PM
Jul 2018
sagdashin said:
mars of destruction, just as good

Actually, Mars of Destruction is a bit better than Sword Art Online.

I would recommend Eiken and Panzer Dragoon.
Dec 18, 2012 10:15 PM

Nov 2012
try Accel World
Dec 18, 2012 11:19 PM

Dec 2012
Zero no Tsukaima: Saito looks very similar to Kirito and isn't whiny either.
Plus it has the protagonist enter a strange new world and learns to use a sword very well.

More topics from this board

» RomCom Suggestions for someone who's seen a lot of em

Benassiesto - Yesterday

8 by duchessliz87 »»
22 minutes ago

» Battle romance manhwa/manga/manhua

NaTsu879 - 40 minutes ago

0 by NaTsu879 »»
40 minutes ago

» Anime recommendations please

MeZaDefined - Apr 24

3 by Dariat »»
3 hours ago

» Any anime with a despicable/contemptible villain?

Gfralp - Today

7 by H_Castaigne »»
3 hours ago

» looking for anime recommendations from people who has similar taste

windyshadow - Apr 21

22 by windyshadow »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.