Forum Settings
Forums
#1
Dec 8, 2012 8:40 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1532
I've had this thing in my house for my entire life and I'm trying to figure out what it is exactly. To my untrained eye, this looks like 2 Kanji written top down, the bottom one being 吋 (the Kanji for "inch"), but I can't find the top one. Tried a search by radicals but it's the calligraphic nature of it that is confusing (meaning that I don't know how that character would look typed as opposed to "drawn.")

So, anyone out there know what the top Kanji is? I tried cleaning up the image a bit to make it clearer.





 
#2
Dec 8, 2012 8:45 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 235
im chinese and i'ver never seen this kanji before, probably some old traditional one, so searching by radical would be difficult i guess
maybe my parents would know this kanji, if i ask them next time im visting them^^
 
#3
Dec 8, 2012 8:57 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1373
Don't know which kanji it is, but I can tell that it's only one kanji. If the 吋 below it was a separate kanji, it would be of equal size to the one above it.
 
#4
Dec 8, 2012 9:00 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1532
Rasmu said:
im chinese and i'ver never seen this kanji before, probably some old traditional one, so searching by radical would be difficult i guess
maybe my parents would know this kanji, if i ask them next time im visting them^^


Thanks!

Sephiex said:
Don't know which kanji it is, but I can tell that it's only one kanji. If the 吋 below it was a separate kanji, it would be of equal size to the one above it.


I thought so at first but then I couldn't find a Kanji that contained that radical so I figured it was its own thing and the top part was separate (once again - I am totally ignorant about these things).
 
 
#5
Dec 8, 2012 9:01 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 4441


If anything, I imagine it's a slightly different version of this. Means 'longevity'/'congratulations' which seems like the right sort of thing.
 
#6
Dec 8, 2012 9:04 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1532
Scud said:


If anything, I imagine it's a slightly different version of this. Means 'longevity'/'congratulations' which seems like the right sort of thing.


Oh wow, that does look a lot like it (especially if I google image search it).
 
#7
Dec 8, 2012 11:47 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 4528
Does that mean when i have a fucking hard time with my manji homework, i can post it here? (Like "help indentify this anime/manga")
 
#8
Dec 8, 2012 3:20 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 1591
Chineses were obsessed with Long Living, so they had a `hundred` ways of writing this word

Google image for : 百壽圖
It's a picture used as a gift for elders' birthdays or celebrations
 
#9
Sep 8, 2020 7:25 PM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 1
I love anime very much meanwhile.

myAscension is the perfectly designed employee portal that helps Ascension employees to directly login into the portal. They can access Benefit coverage, view your pay stub, employment forms, retirement savings, health plan claims through a extraordinary website.

https://www-myascension.org/