Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Nov 25, 2012 5:08 PM

Feb 2012
More of my Dog Days? :O
Day = Made

Hoping to see more Hero Crystal time :D
Nov 25, 2012 5:11 PM

Oct 2012
NEW SEASON!? What the f*ck, I hope this won't be like the Second Season

"Duty... There is nothing more precious than that feeling, which makes us think of our friends before ourselves."
Nov 25, 2012 5:14 PM

Oct 2012
Nachtwandler_21 said:

Hmmm. I don't mind more Dog Days but I still prefer to see new season of Nanoha. Or at least Sekirei (((

I have to agree with Nanoha there, I especially like to see an adaptation of ViVID or FORCE.

WELL whatever it is, 3rd Season of Dog Days is now ONE of those things to look forward to, can't wait!

"Duty... There is nothing more precious than that feeling, which makes us think of our friends before ourselves."
Nov 25, 2012 5:20 PM

Mar 2012
Glad to hear that the happy olympic war get another season.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Nov 25, 2012 5:40 PM

May 2011
Hoppy said:
Skip Beat is shoujo, shoujo anime don't sell anywhere and definitely not Japan, Shoujo manga however sells in Japan.

+1

but it's kinda shame though that Shoujo anime aren't popular in Japan. There are some exceptional like Kimi ni Todoke and Maid-sama.
Nov 25, 2012 5:50 PM

Sep 2008
Knil said:
Only in Dog Days could each girl in a love triangle be genuinely excited to be the other's maid of honor. Now time to see which one it is!

I'm guessing you're not a follower of Hayate No Gotoku..
Not only would all but one of the girls be excited to be another's maid of honor, most of them would probably expect it :p
The girls have deeper relationships to each other than to the guy.
BastionNov 25, 2012 6:13 PM

"You're such an idiot."
~Celty (Durarara)

"How many seconds until the boy confesses his love to the girl?"
~Durarara

Should it be sad now that twice in a season I've been glad that subs scrolls by to quickly for me to process?

Nov 25, 2012 5:58 PM

Apr 2010
SilentTruth said:
Hoppy said:
Skip Beat is shoujo, shoujo anime don't sell anywhere and definitely not Japan, Shoujo manga however sells in Japan.

+1

but it's kinda shame though that Shoujo anime aren't popular in Japan. There are some exceptional like Kimi ni Todoke and Maid-sama.

It just comes down to that female anime fans are generally more interested in hot guys than typical shoujo romances. Thats why the fujoshi stuff sells well. shoujo manga sells fine though

Nov 25, 2012 6:38 PM
Jul 2018
Why.jpg
Nov 25, 2012 6:52 PM

Apr 2011
I am definitely happy hearing the good news!

I get to see more of Eclair, Vert, and Becky XD
Nov 25, 2012 7:27 PM

May 2011
RyanSaotome said:
SilentTruth said:
Hoppy said:

+1

It just comes down to that female anime fans are generally more interested in hot guys than typical shoujo romances. Thats why the fujoshi stuff sells well. shoujo manga sells fine though

Yeah, that part as well. Female are more interested in fujoshi than shoujo romance. Though does that term apply to boys as well? I haven't seen shoujo-ai or yuri stuff that sells well here so far (aside from Yuru Yuri)
Nov 25, 2012 7:30 PM

Nov 2008
SilentTruth said:
RyanSaotome said:
SilentTruth said:
Hoppy said:

+1

Yeah, that part as well. Female are more interested in fujoshi than shoujo romance. Though does that term apply to boys as well? I haven't seen shoujo-ai or yuri stuff that sells well here so far (aside from Yuru Yuri)

That's because you can get yuri and shoujo-ai in most otaku-o-clock slice of life (shoujo-ai) and ecchi/harem anime (yuri).

Nov 25, 2012 7:46 PM

Sep 2011
The industry is in decline if this kind of shit is what's popular nowadays.
Nov 25, 2012 7:53 PM

Sep 2009
NFlorianWirthG said:
I want reverse conditions for this one!
Meaning plot taking place in the "real" world!
This please! There are so many anime that take place in an alternate fantasy world but hardly ever the other way around. I want to see Millhiore and Eclair experience the "real" world.
Nov 25, 2012 7:56 PM

Feb 2012
saxophone15 said:
NFlorianWirthG said:
This please! There are so many anime that take place in an alternate fantasy world but hardly ever the other way around. I want to see Millhiore and Eclair experience the "real" world.

I wonder if their tails would disappear if ever that happens :D
Nov 25, 2012 8:02 PM

Oct 2012
I'm totally going to start watching this now..
Nov 25, 2012 8:14 PM

Nov 2010
YAY! for S3 Dog Days!!
Nov 25, 2012 8:14 PM

Nov 2008
HauntingShock said:
saxophone15 said:
NFlorianWirthG said:

I wonder if their tails would disappear if ever that happens :D

The fans will be pissed if that happened, it's for the best to leave the tails and ears on while they are in the human world.

Nov 25, 2012 8:27 PM

Jan 2012
I was up late last night looking at merchandise images from the event and waiting for the announcement from FlonyaFest to come, but I ended up going to bed knowing when I woke up season 3 would be announced. When I woke up, it was right there on my Twitter feed. Feels good to smile so early in the morning.

The thing is, while I'm happy it's happening, I'm also rather sad as very few anime end up getting more than 3 seasons, and if Masaki Tsuzuki continues Dog Days after the third, it will more than likely be in manga form, which will not get translated.

I'm still excited for what season 3 might include. I'm really not too excited about the idea of them all going to Earth trying to blend in, as I think it would be too cliche and keeping Earth and Flonyard separate would help prevent AN ANCIENT EVIL THAT THREATENS BOTH WORLDS kinds of terrible writing.

Flonayrd has magic, ground birds, sky birds, etc. Now we need a faction that fights with tanks.

Also, since there seems to be sort of a monster-girl craze going on, they could announce an actual demon faction that Valerie is familiar with. The faction could be made up of all kinds of different monster girls like lamias, centaurs, slimes, harpies, etc, and bring even more people into the Dog Days fandom. We also could get a 9-tailed foxgirl.

That's what's so great about Flonyard, is the possibilities are endless, and they can really milk it for many seasons.

Now I'm just waiting for the announcement of the color artbook for season 2 so I can preorder it, and the announcement of the third season's name. I'm seriously hoping for Dog Days BarkerZ.
Nov 25, 2012 8:41 PM

Apr 2010
Haakonwale said:

I find it kinda ironic seeing this coming from someone who has a Neptunia avatar, which is pretty much fanservice, moe and slice of life in video game form.

Nov 25, 2012 8:49 PM

May 2011
RyanSaotome said:
Haakonwale said:

I find it kinda ironic seeing this coming from someone who has a Neptunia avatar, which is pretty much fanservice, moe and slice of life in video game form.

Tell me about it.
Nov 25, 2012 8:51 PM

May 2011
jmal said:
SilentTruth said:
Though does that term apply to boys as well? I haven't seen shoujo-ai or yuri stuff that sells well here so far (aside from Yuru Yuri)

Depends what kind of yuri you mean. There aren't many shows focused on straight-up girl-girl romances. Most shows with heavy (canon or subtext/fandom fodder) yuri are not romances per se. Yuru Yuri is much more comedic than romantic. See also Strike Witches, K-ON!, Madoka Magica, Saki, etc. It's a significant element - in some cases more obviously than in others - for fans in a lot of very successful shows, but said shows are not "romance anime", strictly speaking.

Hmm, I suppose if you want to call that 'yuri' then I guess it apply to boys then, and for romance type anime, I suspect it didn't get successful there?
Nov 25, 2012 9:06 PM

Nov 2007
Cool stuff~

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
Nov 25, 2012 9:24 PM

Sep 2010
Not surprised, will watch 100%
ヽ(o`皿′o)ノ ヽ(o`皿′o)ノ ヽ(o`皿′o)ノ ヽ(o`皿′o)ノ ヽ(o`皿′o)ノ
Nov 25, 2012 9:55 PM

Apr 2011
Hmmm....each season gets more echhi...
"I left everything I own in One Piece" ~ Gol D. Roger
Nov 25, 2012 9:58 PM

Nov 2008
GregZor9 said:
I was up late last night looking at merchandise images from the event and waiting for the announcement from FlonyaFest to come, but I ended up going to bed knowing when I woke up season 3 would be announced. When I woke up, it was right there on my Twitter feed. Feels good to smile so early in the morning.

The thing is, while I'm happy it's happening, I'm also rather sad as very few anime end up getting more than 3 seasons, and if Masaki Tsuzuki continues Dog Days after the third, it will more than likely be in manga form, which will not get translated.

I'm still excited for what season 3 might include. I'm really not too excited about the idea of them all going to Earth trying to blend in, as I think it would be too cliche and keeping Earth and Flonyard separate would help prevent AN ANCIENT EVIL THAT THREATENS BOTH WORLDS kinds of terrible writing.

Flonayrd has magic, ground birds, sky birds, etc. Now we need a faction that fights with tanks.

Also, since there seems to be sort of a monster-girl craze going on, they could announce an actual demon faction that Valerie is familiar with. The faction could be made up of all kinds of different monster girls like lamias, centaurs, slimes, harpies, etc, and bring even more people into the Dog Days fandom. We also could get a 9-tailed foxgirl.

That's what's so great about Flonyard, is the possibilities are endless, and they can really milk it for many seasons.

Now I'm just waiting for the announcement of the color artbook for season 2 so I can preorder it, and the announcement of the third season's name. I'm seriously hoping for Dog Days BarkerZ.

Dog Days has a side story manga that's canon and a 4 vol Light novel, I own the side story manga and a compilation manga which isn't canon. There's no manga for the second season unlike the first and I doubt there will be one for the 3rd season.

I wouldn't mind a 4th season either.

Nov 25, 2012 10:27 PM

Apr 2009
FUCK YEAAAAAAAAAAAH~~!!
Just to clarify I said that aloud upon reading the announcement.
YWAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Nov 25, 2012 10:39 PM

Sep 2011
RyanSaotome said:
Haakonwale said:

Well I have no idea where it's from. Never played that game nor have I heard of it. I just found a random picture and used it.

SilentTruth said:
RyanSaotome said:
Haakonwale said:

Tell me about it.

If that was meant as a "that sure told him" it's hilarious coming from you, who have both an avatar and a signature with SAO in it.
Nov 25, 2012 11:01 PM
Aug 2012
Neet. I liked the first season, just a happy go lucky shounen, very easy to watch. I'll have to do the second sometime in the future I guess.
Nov 26, 2012 1:36 AM

Dec 2010
I don't think I'll be watching this. I watched the first season - enjoyed it. Started the second season - 5/6 episodes - too much fan service and didn't like it all apart from the (fun) war parts. So unless this season is great I ain't watching it. I'll probably check some episode discussion to see if its any good.
Nov 26, 2012 2:19 AM

Sep 2011
Ejc said:

Looking forward to the new season :) Hopefully it airs much earlier in 2013.

I think it'll be on Fall 2013. Since the plot line is set on fall.
Nov 26, 2012 2:46 AM

Mar 2008
I just have to say the following...

[x] Touch Fluffy Tail

Looking forward to it! :3
Nov 26, 2012 4:06 AM

Jan 2012
YES!

I just watched S2 recently. This show keeps getting better.
I'm so happy right now. Thanks for the good news.
Nov 26, 2012 4:30 AM

Jul 2009
Ill admit that I am surprised this got season 3 when I wans't really expecting it to get season two....might watch might not...:/
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 26, 2012 4:35 AM

May 2011
jmal said:
SilentTruth said:
Hmm, I suppose if you want to call that 'yuri' then I guess it apply to boys then, and for romance type anime, I suspect it didn't get successful there?

Yuri is a general term for girl-girl relationships in anime. The division of "yuri is for explicit material, shoujo-ai is for platonic/romantic material" is something western fans just made up a while ago, and that is finally falling out of favor. Some when I say yuri, I mean it broadly, as it's used in Japan. It can be anything from two girls holding hands and blushing to being in committed romantic relationships to full on sex.

Not sure what you're asking about regarding boys. As the characters or the fans? In any case, most of the yuri content in anime is more of the "holding hands and blushing" variety, in anime that are not strictly about romance, though sometimes there's more to it. So I'd say yuri elements are popular in anime, and many successful shows contain them as major plot elements to various degrees, but not as much where romance is the main focus.

But then pure romance isn't a big seller usually anyway. It tends to be one element among many. Dog Days for example, has a heavy romance element but it's alongside all the action and comedy. Some nominally "romantic" harem anime sells well, but most don't, and fans of that seem to be more into the fanservice than serious romance.

Hmm, I see. I think I should say it completely that its regarding boys fans towards Yuri. But your explanation already tells about my question, so I can satisfied with it.
Nov 26, 2012 5:16 AM

Sep 2008
outlawauron said:
Mizuki Nana needs to sell more albums.

How true. And I need moar songs.

S2 got a bit stale towards the end for me, after enjoying the beginning minus dat transformation scene. But hey, if people like it (10k BD sales), I can't really complain. Nor can I complain about another series with 31k BD sales.

Bring it on, DD is miles better than page 3 of 'The Sun' newspaper.
Hyouka and real-life Takayama comparison blog: Completed 31/10/2015
http://hyoukaorigination.blogspot.com/

Aria the Animation and real-life Venice comparision blog:
http://veniceorigination.blogspot.com
Nov 26, 2012 6:33 AM
Jun 2012
I still need to finish up season 1, but I can't wait for this~
Nov 26, 2012 7:18 AM

Jun 2010
Couldn't endure through the first season at all. But didn't expect to get a third season... Then again, it's by the creators of Nanoha.
Nov 26, 2012 8:08 AM

Mar 2011
RyanSaotome said:
Haakonwale said:

The irony doesn't make his intentions(?) any less truthful. That said, it wouldn't have mattered if he had or had not said it because we've gone beyond the decline of the industry. We're already in the anime dumps, everyone knows it and no one seems to want to do anything more than talk trash about it and wallow in this mud (myself included).

But really, how is this as popular as it is? The tastes of the viewers have changed ever so drastically.
junglepenguinNov 26, 2012 7:47 PM
Nov 26, 2012 8:14 AM

Dec 2011
How can such words be truthful when they boil down to "other people have started liking different things to me, therefore the world is going to trash"?
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Nov 26, 2012 8:51 AM

Oct 2011
OMG I am so happy TwT.
Nov 26, 2012 10:15 AM

Aug 2009
I am looking forward to this season.Hopefully they will fight a real enemy in this season.
Nov 26, 2012 5:11 PM

Jul 2010
Zmffkskem said:
belatkuro said:
inb4 why does this show get a new season while <insert title here> doesn't get one.

Actually it's such a valid question I have to quote it without striking it out..

I have to quote this valid question as well. I left speechless. Can't say anything when lots of peoples are happy.

Well. good for them.
Nov 26, 2012 7:39 PM

Jul 2010
jmal said:
Han-yuu said:
Zmffkskem said:
belatkuro said:
inb4 why does this show get a new season while <insert title here> doesn't get one.
Actually it's such a valid question I have to quote it without striking it out..
I have to quote this valid question as well.

It got a sequel because:
1. It sells well and/or makes a profit through other revenue streams.
2. There is no lack of source material (or rather, no source material at all in this case because it's anime original).
3. There's a studio, staff, distributor, and investors available to, and interested in, producing it.

<insert show here> did not get a sequel because:
1. One or more of the above is not true.

It really isn't complicated. You're never going to get a more specific answer than that unless you go get an interview with major players in the production committee of <insert show here> and somehow convince them to explain their internal deliberations to you.

But people just asking over and over in every thread when something else gets a sequel are wasting their time.

While i agree with what you said and because one of those reasons i lost my faith on oricon charts long time ago, i rarely bother to look at it anymore and whenever i do, i think it keep getting worse, just like it left me speechless in this thread. Not that it matters for anyone else i know. So you can ignore it.

Also there are some <insert titles here> which i believe should've good sales but never got a sequel. Baccano! for the moment comes to my mind but as i said above i don't check sales much and if you're going to reveal that it had bad sales then...... well.. I can't do anything because of my powerlessness except.

I don't read LN but I heard there is enough source material.

And lastly, just like a news can make some peoples happy, it can hurt some peoples for whole different reason and that's why those some peoples waste their little bit time just like defenders. Not that i hate dog days, it was just not my cup of tea but getting higher sales while Nichibros from a few seasons back didn't get much sales. That offends me but i can't do anything except making a little post somewhere.
Nov 26, 2012 7:53 PM

Apr 2010
jmal said:
Han-yuu said:
Also there are some <insert titles here> which i believe should've good sales but never got a sequel. Baccano! for the moment comes to my mind but as i said above i don't check sales much and if you're going to reveal that it had bad sales then......

It sold low end of average. 3,389. Not likely sequel range without huge boosts to the source material's sales.

Plus Drrr! sold far more (near 20k average iirc), so if either one gets a continuation, it would be Drrr. I think Baccano was just too "Foreign" to Japanese audiences while Drrr they could relate to more.

Nov 26, 2012 7:57 PM

May 2011
RyanSaotome said:
jmal said:
Han-yuu said:
Also there are some <insert titles here> which i believe should've good sales but never got a sequel. Baccano! for the moment comes to my mind but as i said above i don't check sales much and if you're going to reveal that it had bad sales then......

It sold low end of average. 3,389. Not likely sequel range without huge boosts to the source material's sales.

Plus Drrr! sold far more (near 20k average iirc), so if either one gets a continuation, it would be Drrr. I think Baccano was just too "Foreign" to Japanese audiences while Drrr they could relate to more.

Drrr! sold far more? Never knew about that though we haven't seen a news about their sequel.
Nov 26, 2012 8:21 PM

Mar 2011
kuuderes_shadow said:
How can such words be truthful when they boil down to "other people have started liking different things to me, therefore the world is going to trash"?

My bad, I've made an assumption. Can we agree that the quality of anime has been falling, and has been for a long time? I'd like to believe that that is at least true.

But I'd also think twice before I put words into the mouths of other people.

jmal said:
junglepenguin said:
But really, how is this as popular as it is? The tastes of the viewers have changed ever so drastically.

Tastes in the 80s were different from the 70s. And 90s from the 80s. And 00s from the 90s, and they'll keep changing in the 10s.

Thousands of people before you were lamenting the 'death of the industry' and 'horrible taste of fans'. And they said it about all your favorite anime, and believed it as deeply as you believe it now. And thousands of earlier people thought those other thousands of people were all ruining anime too. On and on, on and on, through every era and into the future, ad nauseum.

If you don't like the anime being made today, that's really not our problem. If you want to "do something about it" then pay up and support (buying JP releases, to have a real effect) the things you like and just ignore the things you don't. If enough people feel the way, those titles will be economically sustainable and continue to get made. If not, they won't. Insulting the taste of people who dare to like things you don't will accomplish nothing whatsoever, other than introducing unnecessary friction and drama in the fandom, and just generally being mean-spirited.

Which is what it is exactly as you've said it is: A lament. I'm past pinning the blame on anyone (though you can't say it's not the problem of those who are fans, since they buy merchandise as well, and that supports the part of the industry that produces anime of this genre. More support here potentially means less support for the other parts of the industry. (whatever that implies)).

I was honestly curious when I asked what I did though, and I was simply struck with wonder as I thought of how much has changed in the tastes of viewers. I didn't intend to come across as "mean-spirited". (I do think that a bit of friction is good though, if not entertaining. Who doesn't like to argue about anime? Half the fun is talking about difference in opinion about it.)

(I do support the industry through the purchase of merchandise, btw, and I wish more people would realize how important that is.)
Nov 26, 2012 8:23 PM

Jul 2010
jmal said:
Han-yuu said:

RyanSaotome said:

That's the reason. It really offends me when i see <insert title name> with better stories getting very less attention while average stuff or maybe i say crap in case of "IS" selling like "it's for free". And Baccano! is better than Drrr!. Not that i didn't like later one and high sales does makes me happy but 20k more. I wonder if that "foreign" is the reason for baccano! or fujoshi power in drrr! case or just popularity it got because of baccano!. Still. surprise baccano! low sales. you never fail to amaze me japan.
Nov 26, 2012 8:49 PM

Apr 2010
junglepenguin said:
My bad, I've made an assumption. Can we agree that the quality of anime has been falling, and has been for a long time? I'd like to believe that that is at least true.

I would also not agree with this. Have the popular genres in anime changed? Sure... so if you don't like those types of genres, it might be worse. But if you like the current genres, then its a good time to be an anime fan.

Nov 26, 2012 9:12 PM

Mar 2011
@jmal
Hence why I had never intended to debate anything here. It would have achieved nothing. All I was asking was this: What made/makes Dog Days so popular? What exactly is so good about it? It wasn't a rhetorical question.

@Ryan
The thing is, new fans watch new shows and think they're good. They expect more new shows, which they think are good. Then they see stuff made in the past and go "Man, they look ugly. Stuff made now looks so much more pretty and thus is better.". I'm not saying ALL fans are like that, and I'm not saying that those who do share the same shallow school of thought, but it seems to be like that. The point: If people expect such quality and they receive it, they'll think that there's nothing wrong. From those who've seen what anime can be, the quality of stuff made these days is simply not there anymore. The genres have little, if not nothing, to do with it. We're talking about quality and standards.

It's blunt and probably full of holes, but that's my argument in a nutshell.
Nov 26, 2012 9:26 PM

Jul 2010
jmal said:
Han-yuu said:
That's the reason. It really offends me when i see <insert title name> with better stories getting very less attention while average stuff or maybe i say crap in case of "IS" selling like "it's for free".

It's very very tiring to get offended every time something you like doesn't sell, or something you don't like does sell. I love some total flops, and I hate some major hits. There are many shows that I would like to see sell more than, for example, IS or SAO or Index. But I just don't have the time to (or interest in) get upset about how much an anime sells. It simply does not affect my life in any meaningful way that SAO (or what have you) is a huge success.

If you're taking "hurt" literally than you're quite mistaken there. My bad if it sounds like that but really it doesn't affect my real life in anyway. A temporary feeling bad or getting happy about something is different for me. Of-course i want my favorites to sell well and flop to stay in the bottom because my taste is better than others. Don't take it personally. It's same for everyone just like you love some total flops. It's fine with me.

jmal said:
people will buy what they like. Same as I said to the other guy. And that's precisely how it should work. I honestly can't see how you could run an industry any other way.

That's why i told you that i lost my faith on japanese sales long time ago but still it's amazing to see these sales charts and some peoples already said that industry is declining when shows like that sells more than better stories. In my case, it's same for jpop as well. that's where i started to lose my faith. So i came to conclusion that many japanese peoples have weird tastes and it's getting lot weirder. I guess that explains the condition of industry and why it's running like that.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» 'Tsue to Tsurugi no Wistoria' Unveils Additional Pair of Cast

Hyperion_PS - 10 hours ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
10 hours ago

» Smartphone Game 'Garena Free Fire' Gets Anime Project

Hyperion_PS - May 12

43 by Nightleon »»
Today, 4:56 AM

» Manga 'Hanazakari no Kimitachi e' Gets Anime

DatRandomDude - May 14

39 by Yui_Suzumiya69 »»
Today, 12:36 AM

» 'Megami no Café Terrace Season 2' Reveals Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - May 14

17 by MegamiRem »»
Yesterday, 12:13 PM

» Winners of the 48th Kodansha Manga Awards

Snow - May 15

12 by Zedlin »»
Yesterday, 11:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.