Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Neon Genesis Evangelion - Dub or Sub?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 24, 2016 4:53 PM

Jun 2012
I almost always find sub far superior, but in the case of NGE I actually prefer the dub.
Edit: yes, the audio of the English dub is better too, for some reason
AburadakoApr 24, 2016 4:58 PM
Jun 12, 2016 5:07 PM

Jun 2015
The dub for NGE has its flukes (which is expected for one of its time), but it's surprisingly well made. The voices emit a lot of character and the script is pretty decent. The voices of Misato and Asuka in particular are deserving of praise. I wouldn't say it's better than the Japanese, but it's recommended.

The End of Evangelion dub on the other hand... don't go near it. Avoid it like the plague.
Oct 15, 2016 5:25 AM
Oct 2016
Can someone help me find a version of eva that has the writing on the black screens (the ones that frequently appear on screen) in english? or at least one with subtitles for that writing? I feel like i'm missing a lot and I can't find it anywhere
Oct 15, 2016 5:50 AM

Apr 2015
I've seen both, and I'll suggest the dub, even if the sub has some stronger moments.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Nov 6, 2016 12:21 AM

Dec 2015
Original voices, of course. Just compare Ogata's performance for Shinji to his english/german/french voice, it has more range. Naturally, Hayashibara does a good job on Rei too.
Unless you have reading difficulties: there are several episodes featuring simultaneous lines (sometimes because of japanese text translated, particularly in the Platinum version) or dialogue-heavy.

the_seventh_l said:
dubs are never better than the original voice acting. Right.

At least, the original interprets received direct inputs/returns from the director.

@Johan_Griesel The ADV release of Renewal of Eva (director's cut with fixed pictures and extended eps 22-23-24) has every pannel, sign, text screen translated in the subtitles. (I think there is even a dedicated track in case you're watching in english)
Those DVDs were published in North America and Europe under the name Neon Genesis Evangelion Platinum. (they even include the episodes 22-24 as broadcasted on TV, without the added material)
Rei_IIINov 6, 2016 12:29 AM
Nov 6, 2016 8:50 AM

Feb 2013
Sub, because Rei Ayanami voice
Feb 19, 2017 5:19 PM
Sep 2016
I think Evangelion is a strange case because I don't like the acting in english, but I also don't like the acting in japanese. So pick your poison I guess.
Mar 29, 2017 8:52 AM
Jul 2018
The sub is consistently strong, where the dug has a couple voice actors who deliver stunning performances, and most of the main characters are at least decent, but most of the side characters are plain mediocre. I'd recommend watching the sub first, and re-watching it with the dub to see those great moments where some of the better voice actors stand out. The dub also gets better the farther you are into the series. At first, even the really good actors weren't great, but they seem to get significantly and progressively better as the series goes on. Even so, the sub is great all around, so start with that.
May 18, 2018 8:26 AM
Jun 2016
Well, reading all of this is exhausting, but I have to say after reading all this, the dub's better. I can say that even having only seen the sub.

I watched this anime first a year ago, and I've been wanting to re-watch it. It's common practise to watch the dub when you first re-watch an anime, but I was hesitant because I heard some pretty adamant criticism of the dub.

So far, all I'm seeing is complaints about the voice acting and since the voice acting is completely forgettable in japanese, that's not much of a criticism. Everything aside from the voice acting seems to be getting praised extensively, so I'm going with the dub, like everyone should.

I was worried about criticism I've heard of some musical changes, but since nobody's bringing it up, I think it's a mute point.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

72 by daazexx »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

202 by sailorneptunelvr »»
Yesterday, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

286 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 24, 4:58 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

173 by kermitpoke »»
Apr 24, 9:46 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

342 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 23, 6:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.