Forum Settings
Forums

What are your Guild Wars 2 thoughts since its release?

New
Sep 15, 2012 1:58 PM
Sep 2012
So Guild Wars 2 has be released for a few weeks now, and I'm curious to know what your thoughts are on the game since its release?

What are the best points and what are the worst points? and name some of the best experiences in the game so far, or some of the weirdest :P

My Opinion of the game -

I am only level 38 atm, so I can't say too much myself. But still, I could go in huge depth about this game, but an overall summary is -

Questing and Events The questing/random event system doesn't get rid of the 'Grinding' factor all MMOs present with quests, but it is presented in a more enjoyable way, but I may find it more enjoyable atm because its new and fairly unique.
Overall, I like it, but I can't say I love it. Some are good, some aren't, but I do love the fact I can go to low level areas and do their quests as if I was their level range once again (Fantastic game mechanic).

Difficulty The game itself can be very challenging at times, which I am a huge fan off. This to me makes the game a lot more rewarding and generally enjoyable.

Jumping Puzzles I have only done three jumping puzzles myself, the Asura jumping puzzle, the Sylvari and one in a WvW map.
These can be very challenging, but have some good rewards in them which is fantastic, and they are a great laugh with friends and a good challenge on your own.

Dungoens I have only done AC Story to the first boss, and found it a great challenge and a good laugh. Though it seems you will require fellow guildies or trust worthy friends to do this with, doing it with randoms can cause some issues.
Loved the Dungeons, very well done.

Landscape/Architecture Visually, this game is the most impressive I have ever seen, what ever area or city/town I am in, I will nearly always be taken away with the view and architecture of the game. The scale is fantastic, it adds so much to your own imagination and adventure.
The most beautiful game I have played for a long time.

Crafing This bar far, is one of the features I love most, the crafting system is fantastic in my opinion. Though I have had little time to explore it currently, I am loving it so far. The fact that materials are generally hard and slow to farm yourself makes it that much enthralling.
I don't feel like a factory making 100s of swords at once, but a true craftsman making his own weapons/tools, with my own ideas and ingredients.

Trading Post One thing I do dislike in this game a lot is the trading post, I don't like its UI, its search and organisation system and so forth. Atm I am still confused and baffled with it at times, and just seems overly complicated for no reason. Need to be simplified and organised more, simplified in a more visual way.

Most memorable Experience My most memorable experience so far would have to be fighting this fire boss in the Asura starting area. There is a power plant which somehow exploded, and inside there is a random event which starts off with a robot slowly moving around and distinguishing the toxic gasses laying around the plant. The final cloud of toxic gas is quit big, and once he cleans it up (after defending him), a huge fire elemental world boss spawns.
This boss is the hardest thing I have fought, it was complete madness at first. But being on Skype with four friends and gathering more and more people around the map to take it down made it such a memorable experience, it was a good laugh and a challenge. It took us at least 20-30 Minutes to take it down, I died way too many times... way too many XD

Worst Point The worst point of this game, as I said before is the UI of the Trading post.

Best Point The best point of this game in my opinion is the Level mechanic which keeps everyone at around the same level.
The fact it will reduce your current level to the level of the area you are in makes this game so much more durable. You can go back to low level areas and do old events without being hugely OP, and still have a challenge, plus you can also help that odd friend who struggles to level fast (Like me!) or is levelling a new alt.

I can't really say much more myself without repeating myself, considering I am only level 38 atm, I still have much more to do and explore. But I would like to hear your thoughts on the game so far.
Also I haven't mentioned any pvp because I haven't done enough to give a valid or enough thoughts on it atm. But from what I have done, I love it.
Thanks for reading.

Sep 16, 2012 3:58 AM

Dec 2008
wow thats quite alot of text you've got there, i have played like a hundred hours before becomming borred with it, might be because i played alot in the beginning so i reached 80 in a few days.

quests and events are to fast over give to little reward and they are all too alike so doing them fells like grinding, and i am really bothered by the fact that i lose my level when i go to lower level areas. its lame to play around as level 10 when im actually level 80, its not like the rewards get much better, so why do low level stuff when you are 80 when it is just as hard doing 80 level quests and the reward is so much better.

it is not a difficult game which made it a bit borring for me, the only part that is hard if when u try to solo some events or doing some dungeons.

Jumping puzzles are actually quite fun and entirely different from what you would else do.

graphic was alright, though nothing compered to BF3 i have never understood why all rpg's are so ugly in comparison with most fps games, but its a bit better than most other rpgs.

crafting was borring but its a good thing you can just skip over that part, though it might be a bit more fun when you get to the legendary crafting or the stuff in mystic forge

Trading Post is the thing i hate the most i think, i really hate that it crashes all the time and that arena net takes 15% of you sale in a freaking fee, its not like its real money that are being traded, a bad copy idea from blizzard it seems.

the best thing in the game is the big boss battles, if they are a little hard at least, like the 80 level dragon in the ice, it was so cool in the beginning, but doing the same dragon a few more times became really boring cause it takes like 20 min to kill it, and it does not have that many different moves to make the battle more entertaining.

last thing to extremely dislike is the failed mechanic, if you are at a diffrent level on the Z-axis and you shoot an enemy that enemy becomes invulnerable, that is such a lame fix from anet's side.
even worse is the bug or whatever it is, that does so that when you pull an enemy too far from it's startingpoint it will regenerate to full HP of go back to its startingpoint.

for a game i'd give it 6,5/10 it have some things to improve.
Sep 16, 2012 7:39 AM

Aug 2010
Guild wars 2 is the first MMO I've ever gotten into, so far I have enjoyed it, although it definitely helps that I have a friend who plays, makes it much more exciting. Still need to pump a few more hours into it before I can have a fully realised opinion, but so far it has been really fun, and that is all that a game really has to do.
Eyes always lose their fire

Sep 16, 2012 7:47 AM
Sep 16, 2012 1:32 PM

Apr 2012
It's good for the most part but it bothers me somewhat that there is only one action bar for all your characters. = /
Sep 16, 2012 3:05 PM

Apr 2012
Did I seriously see someone compare an mmorpg's graphics to BF3?
Sep 16, 2012 7:50 PM
May 2010
Monkey__D__Luffy said:

You did. I don't think he quite understands the purpose of the graphics in an MMO.
Sep 16, 2012 7:54 PM

Jul 2012
Ambalamps said:
Monkey__D__Luffy said:

You did. I don't think he quite understands the purpose of the graphics in an MMO.

Oh, my sides.
Sep 17, 2012 4:52 AM

Dec 2008
Onijho said:
Ambalamps said:
Monkey__D__Luffy said:

Oh, my sides.

i don't know why the graphic is as it is, i figure its because it is faster to create it when dealing with such huge maps, or its because its easier for the server to handle or simple due to performance stuff.

i know no rpg's are anywhere near most fps, but that was only a short point in the post. In which i also pointed out that it was better than most rpg's
Sep 17, 2012 11:34 PM
Sep 2012
well i love this game. but graphics little weird
Sep 17, 2012 11:54 PM

Apr 2010
I enjoy it, but I think it's too easy. You don't get a lot of XP for killing monsters. But virtually all the XP you get comes from completing random local events and instances. You also get half-decent chunks of XP from completing daily tasks like gathering resources and killing enough monsters. Exploring and discovering locations and waypoints are also good.

And the game's graphics are sub-par compared to games that use very advanced engines like BF3 because they need to create MASSIVE worlds for LOTS of people to roam around in a the SAME TIME. Servers would start lagging if you had thousands connected at the same time and extremely detailed graphics. Not to mention you'd need a beast of a rig to handle it all in some cases.

Sep 18, 2012 4:51 AM

Aug 2012
I'm hoping to get it sometime this week , all my friends say its good, and from what i've seen on youtube the scenery looks amazing, reminds me of SAO ;D
Sep 22, 2012 2:13 PM
Dec 2011
Thief with sword and leather coat = kirito xD
Sep 23, 2012 12:26 AM

Jul 2010
i got bored after about 2 weeks. really nothing special.

Sep 23, 2012 2:57 AM

Nov 2011
Angel_Beats said:
i got bored after about 2 weeks. really nothing special.

This.

I think it may be though because I've been a huge MMORPG guy for probably a decade now(played tons of different P2P, F2p, etc.) so it's really hard for me to find an MMORPG that really sucks me in for awhile. Anyways though after awhile I just got kind of tired of it.
I think what did it is that it tries to set itself a bit more apart then other MMORPGs, which is good, but actually I think it does it to much.

I mean GW2 golden point is that it's different from your standard mmorpg. However, it felt so different for me that it took me awhile to get the hang of it. Then when I did it became like a schedule. "Go to this area around this time for this event, then here, here, here, etc."

I like that I gain XP from crafting, exploring, events and such but it's missing traditional questing for me. I know it may sound weird but one of the best ways I leveled in a lot of mmorpgs was just accept all the quests and do them all in one go. In GW2 only a handful of quests in the area which don't really give as much as I could get doing 2-3 events in the same amount of time. I kind of wished they still had a lot of quests to throw in my face along with events, crafting and such. Another thing is I wish they had more variety to the events. The first couple of events you're like "awesome!" then I began to realize that if I kept coming at this location, at this hour the same event would pop up over and over so it became like more of a schedule.(Like someone said as well it's a bit to easy, but that's not a major issue.)

"Go to this location at this time, do the event, now go here, here, here and of course doing the same events over and over until the next area so that kind of got me down. Love the persistent event system but I kind of wish for more variety instead of me doing the same events over and over til I'm high enough to go to the next area. It just felt like they were just disguising the repetitiveness.

I mean it's a good game but it just didn't stick to me. Might be because I'm more critical about more mmorpgs or just not my taste.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Sep 24, 2012 7:28 AM

Apr 2012
I like GW2 ~ It's refreshing and very different from your average MMO. It brought questing, exploring and character customizing to whole new levels! Even the world itself and its NPCs upgraded! Overall, the gameplay has been kicked up a notch. From fighting underwater to interacting with townsfolk, this game is more than your average game.

(1) What I like about it (and what others might not) is the freedom you get. You don't have to wait for monsters to respawn because you can do other things than kill a specific monster. You're also not obligated to party just to defeat a boss or go through a dungeon to complete a quest. Now in my opinion, these things that are present in other MMOs tie you down. It's as if you're not free to do what you want. BUT! That doesn't mean it doesn't happen in GW2 because it does! If you want to just kill monsters, you can. If you want to form a group and enter dungeons, you can. There's also WvW so if you want to fight alongside your guild and worldmates, you can. My point is: It's you who decides what you're gonna do. And there's a whole lot of things you can choose to do so it's actually not boring for me.

(2) I also think that the idea of maintaining a level cap is a clever one. That would mean you would still get experience from low level places even if you're already in a higher level and also, you wouldn't be imba(lanced). So there's still a challenge in fighting a lvl 10 monster even if you're lvl 80 because instead of maintaining your current stats, they actually go down to suit the place you're in. Genius!

(3) What I probably like the most about this is that you don't have to grind to gain a level because leveling up is actually pretty easy. I guess the only challenge here is map and achievement completion (Which is still very hard!).

Anyway, GW2 is fun and exciting if you're into something new and different. Playing this game is definitely a good experience so I recommend it to beginners and old-timers ~
EllyseySep 24, 2012 7:46 AM

[G]areki && [G]oggles && [G]uns are
[© Touya Mikanagi || respectful creators]

More topics from this board

» Favorite gaming cover art?

_Nette_ - Apr 25

2 by Faisal-Abdulhadi »»
3 hours ago

» Gacha Survey ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Apr 11

58 by Jentheworld »»
6 hours ago

» Pokemon : Which legendary pokemon have you randomly came across without looking up their location?

Thy-Veseveia - Apr 9

5 by H1ruma »»
10 hours ago

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

12 by Astachanna »»
Yesterday, 5:15 PM

» Last game you purchased ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Completely_Numb - Mar 15, 2014

525 by Timeline_man »»
Yesterday, 4:28 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.