Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 8, 2012 4:05 PM
Mar 2011
I'm looking for anime that features smart protagonists. I don't necessarily need them to be engaging in battle of wits like in Liar Game, but should actually be using their brains for something (preferably creative). In case that's related to deductions of some sort, I would like the things they think of to be actually deducible, and not baseless or drawn on information not revealed to the viewer. Also, I wouldn't like characters who are claimed to be smart smart, but are using their brains completely behind the scenes and/or often act stupidly (i.e. no Phi Brain and no Special A). Finally, series not on my list would be preferred (i.e. no CG, DN, SPiral, Gosick, Hyouka, Spice and Wolf, and many others).

Thanks
TogopAug 9, 2012 4:35 AM
Aug 8, 2012 4:35 PM

Feb 2010
So, I'll just assume that you're open for all genres because you didn't specify. Also I'll refrain from recommending classical battle of wits stuff, because you've seen a lot of those and I know others will throw stuff like One Outs at you in no time.

The main thing is if you want intelligent or smart. You say smart, but it sounds like you also mean intelligent in your post. In any case let me recommend some series with the highest average intelligence among cast members and some themes you might enjoy:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes (This comes close to a classical battle of wits series at some points, but it is so much more. Very intelligent, clever and smart protagonists, a lot of great dialogue about every interesting topic you can think of, a lot of goof strategizing in space battles and a lot of wisdom spready by Yang Wenli. if you are not a 2000+ nazi (you didn't specify age in your request) this should be a high priority.

Monster (Also well known and also for a reason. Mature cast, many individuals with high itnelligence and even though there's not much of a direct battle of wits, the whole show is more or less about the MC following the trail of someone, investigating and deducing stuff on the way. Never baseless or overly intuitive.

Himitsu (This is a detective series with a twist. The investigation team can look at at the memories of dead people if their brains are undamaged. Creative use if the premise, always combined with interesting cases and logical deductions. Mostly episodic with some longer arcs (2-4 episodes I think).

Master Keaton (This is probably farthest from your initial request, but I just want to mention it because it's so underwatched and one of my favorites. Taichi Keaton is intelligent, clever and wise, but the series is really more of a slice-of-life. He works for a big insurance company and often his job is to investigate the circumstances of a theft or a murder, sometimes to find something, sometimes to protect someone or something. Sometimes there is no action, just some dialogue about life and stuff, Other episodes focus on his family. Then again he has to survive in the desert or gets kidnapped because of some case. Episodic in nature, this show just has a great main character who can handly any situation, who is very intelligent and reflective and also has the physical skills and the knowledge to back it up. As I said, one of my favorite shows ever.
I probably regret this post by now.
Aug 8, 2012 4:35 PM

Jul 2012
Death Note, Monster, and Code Geass all stand out.
Aug 8, 2012 4:45 PM

Feb 2012
The World God Only Knows
Aug 9, 2012 3:40 AM
Mar 2011
TWGOK goes on my PTW right away, although I dislike its synopsis (second rec I receive for that show).

About Master Keaton, I noticed more substantial than expected differences between the sub and dub. Suggestion which one is better?

About LoGH, I know it's a good piece and fits my request perfectly, but I'm seriously intimidated by its length.
Aug 9, 2012 4:07 AM

Nov 2011
I'm not sure why people are suggesting Monster. The antagonist is insane, the protagonist is a sincere honest guy, but he's not "intelligent" or anything, and there's no battle of wits. It's just that overall the anime is more intelligent than others, since there's no fanservice and other cheap stuff to appeal to the audience.

Master Keaton is by the same author that created Monster, so my guess is that it isn't about an intelligent character, either.

Outside of the series you mentioned, I was suggested "Hikaru and Go" and "One Outs" upon a similar request in distant past, but didn't get around to watching them. Maybe you should check them out.
Aug 9, 2012 5:44 AM

Apr 2009
Ginevra said:
I'm not sure why people are suggesting Monster. The antagonist is insane, the protagonist is a sincere honest guy, but he's not "intelligent" or anything, and there's no battle of wits. It's just that overall the anime is more intelligent than others, since there's no fanservice and other cheap stuff to appeal to the audience.

Master Keaton is by the same author that created Monster, so my guess is that it isn't about an intelligent character, either.

Being crazy is no indicator of intelligence, per say. He has to have some measure of brilliance or he wouldn't have been able to make his trail disappear like he did, in such a way that people would never connect it to him (well, until the doctor comes along). But if you'd actually read Higashi's description, he does admit that there really isn't that much of a battle of wits. It does, however, take some measure of intelligence and know-how to bring down the bad guy.

However, his other work 20th Century Boys (manga) is most definitely a battle of wits, just not in the DN way, so he can and does create ones. Good ones.
Aug 9, 2012 5:54 AM

Aug 2008
Never thought I would recommend this, because so many people have seen it, but the three Ghost in the Shell movies would be a good choice. It looks like you don't want something that's too long.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/43/Ghost_in_the_Shell
http://myanimelist.net/anime/468/Ghost_in_the_Shell_2:_Innocence
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1566/Ghost_in_the_Shell:_Stand_Alone_Complex_-_Solid_State_Society

You've seen Gosick, and these might seem a bit too similar, but they also fit your description:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/10568/Kamisama_no_Memochou
http://myanimelist.net/anime/8915/Dantalian_no_Shoka

I'm also seconding TWGOK and asserting that you watch Kara no Kyoukai, as it is in your PTW list.
DeseradaAug 9, 2012 6:00 AM
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.
Aug 9, 2012 7:52 AM

Nov 2011
Sweetpea said:
Being crazy is no indicator of intelligence, per say. He has to have some measure of brilliance or he wouldn't have been able to make his trail disappear like he did, in such a way that people would never connect it to him (well, until the doctor comes along). But if you'd actually read Higashi's description, he does admit that there really isn't that much of a battle of wits. It does, however, take some measure of intelligence and know-how to bring down the bad guy.

I always thought that his brilliance was his charisma and artistic ability. All he did was connected to charisma, as if he was a hypnotist whose charm nobody could resist.

Anyway the topic starter was looking for smart protagonists, and I really didn't see anything out of ordinary in the guy starring Monster. If anything, making him a genius would've ruined the anime! His good qualities were kindness and an ability to forgive.

Sweetpea said:
However, his other work 20th Century Boys (manga) is most definitely a battle of wits, just not in the DN way, so he can and does create ones. Good ones.

Oh thank you for that, I'll check it out :)
Aug 9, 2012 9:05 AM
Mar 2011
Master Kaeton was rather disappointing. Generally, I like slice of life stories with intelligent characters, but this one seems a little too random and without substance so far (he first four eps). I'll put on hold for now to try out the others and maybe will pick it up later.
Aug 9, 2012 9:37 AM

Apr 2009
Ginevra said:

Anyway the topic starter was looking for smart protagonists, and I really didn't see anything out of ordinary in the guy starring Monster. If anything, making him a genius would've ruined the anime! His good qualities were kindness and an ability to forgive.

His being a *medical* genius is what allowed the whole show to happen, and plays in multiple times in the anime.

But as for the charisma, in a way that's true, but even charismatic people need to know how to manipulate people, especially when he's asking them to do the things Johan influences them to do.

Ah! I forgot to list Gallery Fake. However, you can't really follow along on the cases because he's an art expert, so unless you're up to date on that then it's not going to happen.
Aug 9, 2012 9:43 AM

Apr 2012
Gankutsuou fits what you are looking for, I believe. The Count is an intelligent character and he puts his brains, his charisma, and his money into skillfully manipulating people in order to exact revenge. The art style can take some getting used to but, overall, it is a good series.
Aug 9, 2012 9:47 AM
Oct 2011
If you're ok with long anime then give Detective Conan a try, it fits almost everything you mentioned.
Aug 9, 2012 10:31 AM
Apr 2012
His being a *medical* genius is what allowed the whole show to happen, and plays in multiple times in the anime.

But as for the charisma, in a way that's true, but even charismatic people need to know how to manipulate people, especially when he's asking them to do the things Johan influences them to do.

Ah! I forgot to list Gallery Fake. However, you can't really follow along on the cases because he's an art expert, so unless you're up to date on that then it's not going to happen.

Being named medical genius is similar to be called an artistic genius, or a musical genius. These "geniuses" are all focused around skill rather than talent, or both. A medical genius, like the others, is someone who practices their craft unto the point of becoming what is considered exceptional among their trade. In short, it is that they are smart, more so than intelligent.

Monster's protagonist didn't impress me on the intellectual, but rather the opposite. What makes humans unique/superior is their intellect abillity to adapt. Monster's protagonist was a master of his craft, but he was not someone i would consider an intellectual genius.

As of yet there are few anime that focus on the genius of the protagonist as its attracting feature. Code Geass, and Death Note would be at the top of that list. The Elevens are known for hard work rather than raw intelligence, and thus they sell protagonists who rarely exhibit these traits. However, much of their genius is disguised in their work itself, rather than a personifying character.

You might like Spiral. If you haven't seen Baccano!, you should watch that.
Aug 9, 2012 6:10 PM

Jul 2012
Death Note, Code Geass, Elfen Lied, Bakuman, Fullmetal, Monster, Detective Conan...
These animes are common but I recommend (;
Aug 9, 2012 7:57 PM

Jan 2012
Spiral Bonds of Reasoning,very smart main character,you will get a Case Closed and Death Note vibe
WATCH IT!!!
Jan 26, 2017 12:34 PM

Mar 2016
I think God Eater should fit in, the protagonist is calm, clever, knows when to retreat, hols great power and is not so much driven by the feels as in other anime like Ao No Exorcist or Naruto, or any other mainstream anime.

Mar 28, 2017 5:29 PM
Mar 2017
try aldnoah zero, its a mecha which i know lots of people don't like(me included), but its different and amazing and the MC inaho is basically a scientific and military genius and is a total badass even though hes like 16.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/22729/AldnoahZero
Mar 28, 2017 5:32 PM
Mar 2017
try aldnoah zero, its a mecha which i know lots of people don't like(me included), but its different and amazing and the MC inaho is basically a scientific and military genius and is a total badass even though hes like 16.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/22729/AldnoahZero

More topics from this board

» Any anime with a despicable/contemptible villain?

Gfralp - 10 hours ago

6 by silversaint »»
2 hours ago

» looking for anime recommendations from people who has similar taste

windyshadow - Apr 21

22 by windyshadow »»
3 hours ago

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone/genre/theme of sci-fi/futuristic/post apocalyptic/modern times + fantasy/medieval/magic/old times?

Donkunsan - Apr 18

33 by Donkunsan »»
4 hours ago

» Anime recommendations please

MeZaDefined - Apr 24

2 by Faisal-Abdulhadi »»
8 hours ago

» RomCom Suggestions for someone who's seen a lot of em

Benassiesto - Yesterday

7 by Tsuyatoash »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.