Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 17, 2012 12:00 PM
Jun 2012
Hello otakus,

I've just finished watching welcome to the NHK and I really liked it (it is my first anime of that type eg. slice of life, drama, romance, comedy). I really enjoyed the characters and how the main characters head and way of thinking is always represented. I also very much enjoyed the dark humor, the romance, the otakuism, and preety much everything..

I've read recommendations that Genshiken is similar to NHK but I've watched 1 ep of Genshiken and I was utterly bored and really didn't like any of the chracters (fat, ugly, quiet, don't say shit) unlike Sato who just makes everything fun cause of his personality and shown way of thinking, head trips...

So please recommend me other anime similar to NHK but not in terms of plot but feel and direction and characters. I like when everything happens fast and when the characters feel alive and not boring and quiet. Genshiken may have a similar plot but the anime is nothing like NHK in terms of characters and quality... NHK hooked me from the first scene...

thanks everyone...
Jul 17, 2012 12:14 PM
Jul 2018
First off, fill out your animelist...in anycase:

The closet anime I can think off that is like NHK is Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei.

Intelligent, hilarious, impacting and unique. The art style is of particular taste, but is perfect for this kind of show. The story is very character-driven, so it's a good thing that every bloody character in this show is awesome

If okay with Sci-Fi:

Also, since you liked the characters...checkout Neon Genesis Evangelion...both Welcome to the NHK and Evangelion have the most psychically warped cast of characters in anime.

Also, I recommend Planetes. It is Welcome to the NHK!...but in Space.
removed-userJul 17, 2012 12:33 PM
Jul 17, 2012 2:32 PM

Aug 2010
Jul 17, 2012 2:34 PM

May 2011
Read Onani Master Kurosawa
I definitely have superpowers. I can feel it in my balls.
Jul 17, 2012 5:44 PM

Jan 2011
Paranoia Agent
Jul 17, 2012 6:35 PM

Dec 2011
Nothing is quite like Welcome to the NHK sorry to tell ya. But that's why it's such a special anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 17, 2012 7:31 PM
Jun 2012
Sorry about the list, I haven't had the time as I'm new to the forums and have watched shitloads of anime.. it's a drag to remember them all :)

Anyways, NGE I actually watched right before NHK.

Steins:Gate one of my fav animes of all time.

Paranoia Agent seems to not focus on a main character which I am not really fond of.

Onani master kurosawa looks awesome but no Dub (I need dubs)

Also true for Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei

Planetes seems like the only valid suggestion but as you've mentioned that last I'm asuming it's not that awesome. I'll definetly watch it but I may want something different this time...

Please people give me more suggestions! I love youuuu!

PS: What about Chaos:Head? Honestly, does it compare?
Jul 17, 2012 7:36 PM
Jun 2012
LayedBack said:
Nothing is quite like Welcome to the NHK sorry to tell ya. But that's why it's such a special anime.
True, and I'm kinda sad because of that... But there must be more anime with the same level of balls, randomness and crazyness, dark humor and drama. NHK is not afraid to do what many other anime are. I really love the humor, the lame ass main character which is one of my all time favorites now because of how awesome he is because he sucks so much :) I just love him :D The gold farming thing really got to me I was laughing my ass off... But I also connected with him because I use to have similar thoughts and problems as he has so it made me remember what it was like and really understand him as a character, even if he was so over the top at most times...
Jul 18, 2012 3:23 AM
Jun 2012
epic bump on steroids
Jul 18, 2012 4:31 PM

Apr 2009
Please fill out your list so peopel have a chance at not recommending a lot of stuff you've already seen.

Anycase, Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei might work. And Planetes is an awesome, amazing show - some people just list anime the order they think of them, not the order they rate them.
Jul 18, 2012 5:38 PM

Dec 2011
JoeX22 said:
LayedBack said:
True, and I'm kinda sad because of that... But there must be more anime with the same level of balls, randomness and crazyness, dark humor and drama. NHK is not afraid to do what many other anime are. I really love the humor, the lame ass main character which is one of my all time favorites now because of how awesome he is because he sucks so much :) I just love him :D The gold farming thing really got to me I was laughing my ass off... But I also connected with him because I use to have similar thoughts and problems as he has so it made me remember what it was like and really understand him as a character, even if he was so over the top at most times...

Yep it's hilarious and a little sad all at the same time. To be honest I could relate a little too well to the characters which was unsettling at first but also very profound. I'm not sure I've ever been affected more on a personal level by anime than when watching NHK!.

Hopefully more anime studios will venture in to the realm of black comedy eventually. If NHK! has proven anything it's that their is a ton of hidden potential in that genre just waiting to explode.
LayedBackJul 18, 2012 5:42 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 20, 2012 1:02 PM
Feb 2012
I watched Welcome to the NHK around the same time as I watched Steins;Gate and I feel the atmosphere of the two is often very similar. Although the anime are very different in terms of plot, the atmosphere and (some of the) characteres are very similar. Either way, Steins;Gate is definitely worth the watch.

More topics from this board

» Help Finding a Yuri Manga!!!

goldensgaze - 28 minutes ago

0 by goldensgaze »»
28 minutes ago

» Action animes with sexy badass women in revealing outfits?

Repurikanto - 41 minutes ago

0 by Repurikanto »»
41 minutes ago

» Great Anime Soundtrack Recommendations Based On A Few Listed Here

Music99 - Yesterday

4 by mo_lave »»
52 minutes ago

» Looking for something similar to Isaki/Ganta relationship

FlashoftheBlade - 5 hours ago

1 by mo_lave »»
59 minutes ago

» ANIME RECOMMENDATION (which I've not seen)

Ainz_Ooal_Gown01 - Jun 23

9 by M2zC »»
12 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.