Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 2, 2008 1:48 AM
christmas cake

May 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Not quite as surprising as episode one, but we get to know the characters a little better.

Nagi's being slightly more relaxed about Rikuo and Misaki investigating the place and asking questions that bend the rule a bit.

Sammy was certainly more animated in the Cafe. O.o
nx6Oct 2, 2008 2:46 PM
Oct 2, 2008 2:08 AM

Mar 2008
It's interesting that robots have now become people with personalities that you can't tell from normal humans. They're basically slaves bound to their masters outside but can be themselves in that cafe.
Oct 2, 2008 7:51 AM

Feb 2008
I liked the 'cat'.

I also like how it is almost impossible to tell humans apart from androids in that cafe.
NayahOct 2, 2008 7:54 AM
Oct 2, 2008 8:46 AM

May 2008
An alright follow up to the first episode, although it failed to make me any more interested in the series. The directing is still annoyingly poor at times and the two main guys are more bland than the androids outside of the cafe, but it seems like it still has a few tricks up it's sleeve so I'll stick with it for now.

Edit: Forgot to mention the guy asking if this is Blade Runner. I sure hope not guy...I sure hope not...what a terrible film...
Absolutely_SteveOct 2, 2008 8:59 AM
Oct 2, 2008 8:48 AM

Feb 2008
I found this episode to be even better than the first one.

Sammy is very interesting and I felt so sorry for her, a robot. That says something about how good this show is.

That whole bit at the with the investigator and individualism taking root in robots seems like it might be a little interesting but I just want to see more from the cafe and I'm guessing Sammy and Rikou are going to sit down and talk in the next episode.
Oct 2, 2008 11:24 AM

Mar 2008
Absolutely_Steve said:
Edit: Forgot to mention the guy asking if this is Blade Runner. I sure hope not guy...I sure hope not...what a terrible film...

Blade Runner is a great neo-noir film. I highly recommend it. I just hope it's not like Blade Runner for the way things turned out for the replicants.
Oct 2, 2008 11:49 AM
May 2008
Does anybody know the name of the song playing in the ending? I swear, I've got to get my hands on it.
I enjoyed this episode, there was less really fast parts, and I could follow the whole thing and also understand it on the first try (english is not my mothertongue) - a, for me, great improvement. Still, rather than saying it's better or worse than the first episode, I'd say that it's a great continuation. If they keep building up the story like this I'll defenitily (sp?) add this series to my favorites.

By the way...is there some kind of reason that the robots' technological capacity of having a personality and socially integrating just like humans is kept in check like here in the series? Is it only to clearly distinguish them from humans? Why do they have that capacity to begin with? Who came up and built the Time of Eve café? And the people in the end of the episode, clearly not wanting robot freedom, are they not also the ones that built the robots - or are there yet another party involved somehow?
Oct 2, 2008 2:43 PM
christmas cake

May 2008
Sanshaino said:
By the way...is there some kind of reason that the robots' technological capacity of having a personality and socially integrating just like humans is kept in check like here in the series?

Obviously to keep them subserviant to humans. If robots are allowed to advance their personality and intelligence too much, they'll begin to demand recognition as sentient life forms, and that mean rights.

This was brough up in episode one. The high self-sufficiency of the food supply in the anime's universe is at least partially due to the use of robots in the field, robot workers that can function like slaves really.

Is it only to clearly distinguish them from humans?

That is one factor. It allows humans to easily identify androids, and treat them accordingly. It also prevents any murky ethics issues when you can't identify with the android on a personal level very well.

Why do they have that capacity to begin with?

They don't. At least not on the level displayed by the androids. I was going to ask about their personality capacity earlier but didnt.

The androids are most probably given a standard personality "program" that allows them to communicate with humans in a halfway natural fashion. The androids are also AIs, which allow them to learn and improve in their ability to serve their owners. The issue in this series is what probably started as the AI's idea that emulating their human owners would allow them to interact better, and now the andriods are developing their personalities beyond what their creators intnded, and displaying individuality. The chip that is supposed to be retraining development like this doesn't seem to be working, or the androids are learning how to work around it.

And the people in the end of the episode, clearly not wanting robot freedom, are they not also the ones that built the robots - or are there yet another party involved somehow?

Could be either. The android's own parent company or a government watchdog group.
Oct 3, 2008 1:28 AM
Mar 2008
Sammy's shocked then sad face. That was great, feel bad for her though lol.
Oct 3, 2008 3:58 AM

May 2008
Another great episode. This show is a masterpiece. They really know how to tug at your heartstrings.

I just want to give them all a big hug.ಥ_ಥ
Especially Akiko.
ukonkiviOct 3, 2008 4:17 AM

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Oct 3, 2008 9:05 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Very great episode, I'm still in love with Akiko. Can't wait for more.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Oct 3, 2008 9:51 AM

Feb 2008
Akiko is very nice.
I hope it doesn't take too long till the next episode. :(
Oct 3, 2008 9:53 AM

Sep 2008
this is really one of those animes I wished I have heard about after it was finished, cause it was so good I'm gonna have a hard time waiting for new episodes.

Also i want Akiko to have my robo babies.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Oct 3, 2008 10:41 AM

Jun 2008
Absolutely loved it.

This show it's getting more and more interesting. I like the dualism between the TV shows and what happens on the cafe. Also, Rikuo's face when he saw Sammy was priceless, lol.

Now... until December.
Oct 3, 2008 12:42 PM
Dec 2007
They're doing a great job destroying all the certainties of their characters (and of the spectators at the same time), and navigating from illusion (inside the café) to reality (outside the café). On top of that, animation and chara-design is extremely good, so I must say this ONA is one of the best, if not the best, I've ever seen. Great watch for sure.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Oct 3, 2008 2:12 PM

Oct 2007
Very nice, I liked the 'cat' as well xD.

Oct 3, 2008 4:21 PM

Jan 2008
I really liked this episode once again! I particularly like the atmosphere, especially when they are at the cafe. This series continues to impress me more and more!
Oct 3, 2008 8:28 PM

May 2008
Ah, good to know other people like Akiko as well.<3
Akiko is great, that poor girl.;_;

I went to bed last night thinking about her.
I think if I had seen her that day, and then saw her getting mistreated for being an android like that, and then seeing her again the cafe, I think I would have cried. I would have cried my eyes out.

Oct 4, 2008 11:48 PM

Jun 2007
nx6 said:
Sanshaino said:
By the way...is there some kind of reason that the robots' technological capacity of having a personality and socially integrating just like humans is kept in check like here in the series?

Obviously to keep them subserviant to humans. If robots are allowed to advance their personality and intelligence too much, they'll begin to demand recognition as sentient life forms, and that mean rights.

This was brough up in episode one. The high self-sufficiency of the food supply in the anime's universe is at least partially due to the use of robots in the field, robot workers that can function like slaves really.

Is it only to clearly distinguish them from humans?

That is one factor. It allows humans to easily identify androids, and treat them accordingly. It also prevents any murky ethics issues when you can't identify with the android on a personal level very well.

Why do they have that capacity to begin with?

They don't. At least not on the level displayed by the androids. I was going to ask about their personality capacity earlier but didnt.

The androids are most probably given a standard personality "program" that allows them to communicate with humans in a halfway natural fashion. The androids are also AIs, which allow them to learn and improve in their ability to serve their owners. The issue in this series is what probably started as the AI's idea that emulating their human owners would allow them to interact better, and now the andriods are developing their personalities beyond what their creators intnded, and displaying individuality. The chip that is supposed to be retraining development like this doesn't seem to be working, or the androids are learning how to work around it.

And the people in the end of the episode, clearly not wanting robot freedom, are they not also the ones that built the robots - or are there yet another party involved somehow?

Could be either. The android's own parent company or a government watchdog group.

Not to mention it helps prevent attachment. One thing humanity wouldn't want is for their own kind falling in love with a machine that can act as the perfect mate but cant reproduce. That would reduce the population dramatically. Also the fact that most people don't want to feel sympathy or deal with drama for something thats designed to do all your work. I could just see a human having an argument with a robot over who's turn it is to take out the trash and then getting caught on the losing end and having to take the trash out wile the robot gets to watch TV XD.

It's going to get interesting. The robots have no set rule that says they have to act a specific way. I can see this causing problems later on when robot's start getting permission from their masters to take the halo's off and act like normal people.

As for this episode I thought it was amazing! I found it even more enjoyable then the first episode. Sammy, with the head band scrunchy looked really cute.

On a side note, I've found that the people that are more animated tend to be the robots. So it's the exact opposite of what the boys think. I'm sure they will toss us a curve ball at some point though.
Oct 5, 2008 2:45 AM
christmas cake

May 2008
DeathfireD said:

Not to mention it helps prevent attachment. One thing humanity wouldn't want is for their own kind falling in love with a machine that can act as the perfect mate but cant reproduce. That would reduce the population dramatically. Also the fact that most people don't want to feel sympathy or deal with drama for something thats designed to do all your work.

That's what I meant in my third paragraph. I just didn't want to bring up robosexuality so bluntly.

On a side note, I've found that the people that are more animated tend to be the robots. So it's the exact opposite of what the boys think. I'm sure they will toss us a curve ball at some point though.

Akiko being an android was the biggest shock for me in the first episode. I figured Nagi was the android, I guess she still could be, but I don't see both of them being androids for some reason.
Oct 5, 2008 3:02 AM
Jun 2008
i gotta say, this is really an eye opener
they are developing individual personalities......
wow.
cant wait till the next ep, the 2 month wait is worth it xD
Oct 5, 2008 6:46 AM

Sep 2007
Absolutely awesome. Really love this series so far.

I think, even though I want more!, that the short episodes work quite well. This sort of series benifits fom the short episodes rather than having to drag out a story for a whole 26 episodes or whatever.
Plus notice that its 6 x 15 minute episodes. It's gonna make a nice 1 hour 30 minute film when its finished!
Oct 5, 2008 8:44 PM

Jun 2007
nx6 said:
DeathfireD said:

Not to mention it helps prevent attachment. One thing humanity wouldn't want is for their own kind falling in love with a machine that can act as the perfect mate but cant reproduce. That would reduce the population dramatically. Also the fact that most people don't want to feel sympathy or deal with drama for something thats designed to do all your work.

That's what I meant in my third paragraph. I just didn't want to bring up robosexuality so bluntly.

Akiko being an android was the biggest shock for me in the first episode. I figured Nagi was the android, I guess she still could be, but I don't see both of them being androids for some reason.

ahh ic, I have to confess I only read half of your post :/.

And ya Akiko was a shock to me but after that it became pretty obvious where they where heading with the Android personality's. I'm still guessing there will be a curve ball or two tossed in though to catch us off guard and make it interesting.

PS. on the main Welcome to Eve website they have "First Season" in quotations. I'm guessing their planning for a second season if this one goes well. We probably wont see it for a year and half though.
Oct 6, 2008 12:38 AM

Nov 2007
Man, this 2 month wait thing is gonna kill me >_<

DeathfireD said:

PS. on the main Welcome to Eve website they have "First Season" in quotations. I'm guessing their planning for a second season if this one goes well. We probably wont see it for a year and half though.

I hope you're right about that ^^

Sammy was sooooo cute with her hair up and that expression, SQUEEEEEEE!!!!! (^o^)/
theegplanthunterOct 6, 2008 12:47 AM
Oct 6, 2008 2:52 AM
christmas cake

May 2008
DeathfireD said:

Wait. Where's the preview at? I watched on Crunchyroll and at the end of episode 2 they showed the preview for episode 2 again. T.T

Maybe they'll do longer episodes or not so long between them, though.
Oct 6, 2008 3:54 PM

Jun 2007
nx6 said:
DeathfireD said:

Wait. Where's the preview at? I watched on Crunchyroll and at the end of episode 2 they showed the preview for episode 2 again. T.T

Maybe they'll do longer episodes or not so long between them, though.

Download the ep.
Oct 6, 2008 4:55 PM

Aug 2008
YES! The long wait is over (and the beginning of another one T_T). I love this series (the music is awesome, too).

Rikuo and Sammy need to have a little talk. At least she smiled at the end. Unfortunately, next ep doesn't look like it has quite enough Rikuo.

Best parts:
The way Akiko nonchalantly admitting she was an android. "Where's the ring above your head?" "It's off."
Also, "It's a piano." "Are you going to play it?" "I told you, I've quit playing. I'll play it."

nx6 said:
Sanshaino said:
They appear to have something to do with the creation of or monitoring of the AI. I'm under the impression that the person they mentioned was like the one who designed the AI, and may have wanted it to grow. Now that he/she's gone, their 'disciples' are trying to keep the status quo.
nx6 said:
Midway through the first ep I got this feeling that she was an android. Although the way they pulled off the scene was really shocking; I've never seen anything done that well.
DeathfireD said:
Huh? I watched it twice and didn't see anything like... that.
DeathfireD said:
nx6 said:
Download the ep.
ZOMGAnime.com has it. Better than Crunchyroll, imao, because they use embedded Veoh. And they're faster.
脱ぎません!_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .

Oct 6, 2008 8:13 PM

May 2008
nx6 said:

I think that's why they did it.

Oct 7, 2008 3:46 PM

Jan 2008
Ahahahahhahahaha, Bladerunner!