Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Requesting Watanabe Comparisons -- SPOILER Warning x 3 (bebop, champloo, apollon)

New
Jun 28, 2012 2:27 PM

Jun 2012
Sakamichi no Apollon was directed by Shinichirō Watanabe, the same person behind Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo. And really, just eyeballing them from a distance, there's a potential ton of things to say in comparing the stories to each other.

Birds-eye view: All three of these stories feature relationships between 3 characters (two guys, one girl). Each story is also filtered through a particular type of music - jazz (Bebop), hip-hop (Champloo), and jazz again (Apollon). Each story throws the characters together for certain amount of time and then separates them at the end, with a quasi-exception for Apollon's 8-year reunion. (I admit that I'm really interested in comparing the endings).

I don't have the time to really get into this myself, but I would enjoy reading thoughts on these similarities or any others that might have struck you.

-G
Jun 28, 2012 2:44 PM

Dec 2007
You also can't forget Watanabe's other big anime, Macross Plus. Like Cowboy Bebop and Apollon, it was directed by Watanabe and the music was composed by Yoko Kanno. You bring up an interesting point about the relationships between 3 characters (two guys, one girl), and interestingly enough, Macross Plus features the exact same thing. I would say Macross Plus is probably most similar to Apollon in that it focuses a lot on the romance between the characters, it has that love polygon thing going on.

And of course Macross Plus being part of the Macross franchise, it puts a heavy emphasis on the music. So that is yet another Watanabe anime that focuses greatly on the musical style of the anime.
DunkyJun 28, 2012 3:01 PM
Jun 28, 2012 3:11 PM

Jun 2012
Oh my. I've never heard of Macross Plus. *frees up some of his weekend
Jul 8, 2012 7:22 AM
Apr 2012
Something I noted was how the scale of the characters' actions in Sakamichi were significantly less grand than that of Champloo and Bebop. I could only theorize, but perhaps Watanabe wanted to take this series as a test because it wasn't as action-driven as his previous directing works and how it really forced him and us to focus more in on the emotions and driving forces behind character actions and making it seem believable.

This may be straying from comparison to praise, but the believability in the characters' actions of Sakamichi No Apollon really shined for me as a viewer.
Jul 8, 2012 11:49 AM

Dec 2007
Yeah, I remember hearing that after Watanabe directed Baby Blue he wanted to direct a more light-hearted series like it, and he did just that with Kids on the Slope.

Mauisnake said:
This may be straying from comparison to praise, but the believability in the characters' actions of Sakamichi No Apollon really shined for me as a viewer.
You bring up a good point. I actually think that all of Watanabe's anime place a big importance on the realism of the characters' behavior and the character interaction. Plus, it's one of the main aspects many of us look for in a good anime, so I think that's why his anime resonate well with a lot of people.
DunkyJul 8, 2012 11:55 AM
Aug 25, 2012 3:16 AM

Sep 2007
Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo were original series' while this show was just an adaption of a manga written by some woman. And this show is considerably worse than Bebop or Champloo.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

HawthorneKitty - Jun 28, 2012

462 by Nebbby312 »»
Apr 12, 10:17 PM

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dltd - May 24, 2012

253 by defaulticus »»
Apr 9, 12:15 PM

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

a6342164 - Apr 19, 2012

209 by Hashiriya_weeb87 »»
Mar 30, 7:49 AM

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Pizzaholic - Apr 12, 2012

308 by onnongo »»
Feb 13, 6:33 PM

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 21, 2012

166 by lazypanda666 »»
Feb 5, 4:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.