Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 18, 2012 4:15 PM

Apr 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Engrossing story, entertaining little film!

Apparently it was "written as a critique of the Japanese government's approval of recombinant DNA research that year"; not bad for a "hot topic" quick turnaround story if so, though that maybe explains why some find the art a little lacking, even for 1984? (It's not bad, perfectly functional).

Though I'm not sure how convincing an argument a sensuous, arse kicking, mega-frisky heroine makes against DNA research? :P

Apr 19, 2013 8:46 PM

Jul 2012
Blackouting said:

Apparently it was "written as a critique of the Japanese government's approval of recombinant DNA research that year"; not bad for a "hot topic" quick turnaround story if so, though that maybe explains why some find the art a little lacking, even for 1984? (It's not bad, perfectly functional).

Though I'm not sure how convincing an argument a sensuous, arse kicking, mega-frisky heroine makes against DNA research? :P

Lol, I'd have to agree on that last part.
But in all seriousness, I do think this movie did pull off the message it was trying to give. I do think Tezuka has done it again.
I suppose some might find some of the camera angles and some things involving Bagi to be a bit weird.....But I thought the movie overall was cool and that very forgiveable. The animation was a bit choppy at parts, but as you said, still functional.
Dec 10, 2013 3:33 PM

Jun 2010
I thought it pretty silly. OK for an adventure film I suppose, but the idea of it making a serious point is absurd. I'm sure that's what it was trying to do, but it's a ridiculous disaster as far as making an argument goes. It's simplistic and thoughtless.

Particularly bad was the bit about the cyborg goat. Did Tezuka fail to imagine what such a thing might mean to people with missing or useless limbs? A goat is too high a price to pay for this?

It's also a little strange that the protagonist doesn't seem to care what Baggy did to his biker buddies the second time around. Granted they didn't actually seem like actually good friends, but his apathy regarding Baggy's violence is tough to swallow.

Some of the cinematography was certainly better than what you'd usually see on television, but that doesn't make up for everything.
Feb 2, 2017 6:40 PM

Apr 2014
I personally got a soft spot for anime like these
The story was good for me and it managed to tell a complete story. Kind of a bittersweet ending but I guess it can't always end in happy smiles and it actually helped to make the animation more mature

More topics from this board

» Does this movie remind anyone of the Batman TAS episode?

Egon1982 - Apr 18, 2017

0 by Egon1982 »»
Apr 18, 2017 10:17 PM

» Is This Movie Any Good?

TrishaCat - Apr 19, 2013

3 by TrishaCat »»
Apr 19, 2013 8:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.