Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 9, 2012 8:53 PM

May 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
A double-length opening. I was not expecting that, but to be honest, it was really a good way to rope us in. The show's a bit strange so I wasn't sure what to think by the time the first episode would have ended if it were normal length, but at the end I was pretty well won over.

I saw the OVA first, so seeing such a cartoonish disney-esque style really threw me for a loop. This show's definitely good, but it honestly feels a bit lacking compared to the OVA. However, it makes up for it by being 61 episodes long. I'll really like this show as long as I shut off that inner voice that always wants to compare it against the OVA.

Anyways, I just wonder where this show is headed. Right now it's expositing the doctor's character and sense of justice, but I hope that afterwards it gets a little bit less heavy-handed.
“Money can't buy dere”
Mar 5, 2014 8:07 PM

Jun 2010
Saying the wildcat was endangered while the fat politician wasn't is fine for a snide joke, but what about the baby? I'm surprised that the mother never took exception to this.

I think Black Jack comes off looking like kind of a jerk.
May 13, 2015 5:25 PM

Jan 2010
This is apparently more "cartoonish" than the OVAs, so I'm watching this first so I don't go from something serious to something silly.

That being said, the surgery in the second half was crazy. I don't even know if it's possible for a needle to break off and go into the blood stream, let alone going through the blood stream and back out where it first entered, but holy crap that was intense for a first episode. I can already see House in this, as far as dramatic medical implausibilities are concerned, but it certainly had me on edge. I can't imagine how this is supposed to go on for another 60 episodes, another TV series, and the OVA on top of it all, but I'm certainly hopeful.
Dec 29, 2015 11:18 PM

Mar 2012
As someone who watched YBJ first it was a bit shocking to see Hazama stating that he would only operate on people if they pay up a ridiculous sum of money. At first I thought he was just testing them to see if they really cared about the lives of the injured but it looks like he really does take their money. Not only that but he gives first aid to the cat before the baby which I found pretty ridiculous (though I'm guessing he was doing it while the others got the blood they needed from the poacher to help the baby).

Character designs took a bit of getting used to due to how old school they are but not too big of a deal. The only thing that I'm not liking is Pinoko with that annoying voice >_> Other than that, pretty great start with a thrilling operation in the second half which was made even more intense with the BGM. Looking forward to the rest of the episodes :)
Sep 8, 2018 7:12 PM

Jun 2013
Honestly, I really like the way the anime is designed and developed as a medical anime, however the accent/voicing of Pinoko is really a minus for the series... Depending on how much it goes on and how much in the spotlight it turns out to be, then this might even make it my first dropped series and that's saying something since I've been through pretty shitty story telling, animation, and even to some extent voice acting too after almost 500 series, anyways, lets just see how it evolves.
Oct 30, 2019 2:41 PM

Sep 2018
It's kinda hard going from the OVA to this, this does seem more realistic than the OVAs so far (which I like) but everything else seems a but rough around the edges and shoddily animated. Though I have to remember that this is the pilot so I'll give it a fighting chance and also try to tamper my expectations a bit, as a TV anime isn't going to be as well animated as a high budget movie quality OVA.
Oct 16, 2022 9:39 PM

Dec 2018
i don't know what else to say than this was magnificent
t. medical professional
yes it's possible for needles to break but it's pretty much unheard of, idk about the last part with that shit

More topics from this board

» Black Jack Infection.

Shrimpey_ - Mar 29

4 by Shrimpey_ »»
Mar 31, 11:33 PM

Poll: » Black Jack (TV) Episode 28 Discussion

Naivette - Jun 3, 2012

5 by Vyse_Sohma »»
Feb 4, 11:39 AM

Poll: » Black Jack (TV) Episode 8 Discussion

Fronzel - Mar 11, 2014

5 by Zen98 »»
Jul 13, 2023 7:33 PM

Poll: » Black Jack (TV) Episode 6 Discussion

Shocked - May 13, 2015

3 by Zen98 »»
Jul 11, 2023 7:46 PM

Poll: » Black Jack (TV) Episode 25 Discussion

Avenger-senpai - Jan 3, 2016

3 by Nyapon »»
Jun 14, 2023 3:00 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.