Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 19, 2012 1:57 AM
Oct 2011
This question was bothering me from the times of the first season: Natsume seems to have considerable spiritual power and is actually able to use some spells (like the time he summoned
Misuzu). So why wouldn't Madara teach him some most basic things so that Natsume could at lest
defend himself in his absence? And why is Natsume himself so reluctant about learning to use his power?
Mar 19, 2012 2:39 AM

Dec 2008
I suspect it's because Natsume has such a gentle personality. I'm sure Natori would love to teach Natsume the ways of exorcism, but as we've seen, Natsume consistently refuses to be an exorcist. He teams up with Natori when he absolutely needs to, but still detests the thought of capturing youkai and using them. He is, after all, trying to release youkai (from the Book of Friends).

Also, we've seen that Natsume does have enough spiritual power to defend himself (i.e. punching the lights out of a youkai, as in the first season). He's been doing this less and less throughout the series, it seems, but as Nyanko-sensei pointed out in the last(?) episode (episode 11 of season 4), Natsume hesitates. This, too, is probably due to his gentle nature.
Mar 19, 2012 8:06 AM
Oct 2011
Indeed. And, after all, the anime is more about relationships and character development than exorcising spirits
Mar 19, 2012 8:27 AM

May 2010
because Natsume has grown attached to youkais around him.
Jun 3, 2012 10:54 PM

Nov 2010
Well he has used a shikigami twice, once to defend himself against the youkai that sends out his shadow, and the other time to find the big face youkai at that excorsist meeting. i have been thinking that it would be cool to see what he could summon, but i believe that if he chased away all of the youkai that kidnap him to get him to help them then the story wouldnt be as good.
Sep 1, 2022 3:33 AM
Jul 2021
petalshreds said:
because Natsume has grown attached to youkais around him.

This stupid and dangerous, as already been made pretty clear in the other seasons.
Me every time I hear the word "reparations": 🤣🤣🤣
May 4, 2023 6:28 PM

Apr 2015
Because then the author would have to think of an actual plot.
Aug 17, 2023 12:44 AM

Jul 2021
This is a good question! Too bad it seems fans of this anime cannot give a good answer.

The reason natsume is so much a good boy that he hate to see youkai get hurt is a very weak reason.

Natsume just need to learn just a barrier spell or some kind of concealment spell to protect himself. He not gonna learn some ultima kind of spell to protect himself againts bad youkai.
Dec 5, 2023 8:17 PM
Nov 2013
The standard male mental would take in the facts that:

A. Natsume is often assaulted by youkai
B. Natsume's spiritual power is strong enough to hurt youkai with simple punches
C. Natsume's disposition is to not trouble others with his issues

And realize that the best thing to do is:

1. Become strong
2. Learn how to fight
3. Be willing to fight

In order to protect himself and those he cares about.

The problem is that... Natsume doesn't have a male mentality.

In "snap situations," he screams, runs away, and lets others protect him.

No offense, especially because of how capable Reiko was, but he has the mentality of a damsel-in-distress.

It is what it is.

I'm in the middle of rewatching this and have since resigned myself to the fact that this series is more about emotional growth than mental or physical.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Shi Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ClementIV - Mar 26, 2012

209 by FZREMAKE »»
Apr 9, 3:50 AM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Shi Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Jan 30, 2012

89 by FZREMAKE »»
Apr 8, 3:49 AM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Shi Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ClementIV - Jan 23, 2012

102 by FZREMAKE »»
Apr 8, 3:29 AM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Shi Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Feb 13, 2012

85 by JoJoLaRow »»
Feb 20, 3:22 PM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Shi Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Mar 5, 2012

58 by Meritas »»
Sep 21, 2023 3:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.