Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 14, 2012 3:23 AM

Nov 2010
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
so, naruto got a bridge xD
Nov 5, 2012 3:00 AM
Jan 2012
That's quite awesome, being a genin and already having places named after you xD
Jan 4, 2013 3:52 AM

Nov 2011
I want to see a sasuke statue now as well haha
Oct 6, 2015 11:11 PM

Sep 2015
This is great

jeanfarias said:
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
so, naruto got a bridge xD

YEAH XD
"Normal couples are allowed except for those who are in the third world :3."
Jan 10, 2017 5:18 AM

Dec 2016
As someone that's reading through Naruto for the very first time, that was a nice, well paced arc to start the series off with. I enjoyed this quite a bit!
Mar 19, 2017 1:08 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Naruto Bridge!!!! kkekeke

Well done Inari ;)
Sep 20, 2017 3:16 PM
Jul 2018
This pages! Thx Aihara_Mei
Nov 1, 2017 3:43 PM

Feb 2013
RIP Zabuza and Haku, I won't forget you guys.
Sasuke is alive!
Jan 7, 2019 10:16 PM

Aug 2012
This arc was the point in the series that it become a favourite in my youth, being much older now my enthusiasm for it has certainly waned but inversely I do think I appreciate it more because this is still clearly a great starting arc to the series, being the first one with any real stakes at hand.

The arc is a bit simplistic, the story is essential two fight scenes with a some brief plot & training sandwiched in between them but Kishimoto did a great job of using the first fight and the middle bit to help set-up for a strong finish. There's a lot of nice callbacks in the ending, and while the scale of the story is small, it's nice to see Kishimoto utilize the size to make a tightly-knit action story. Even the bridge stuff, while ultimately a bit hokey, was used pretty well to tie Naruto's purpose into it pretty well. Stuff like Sasuke actually surviving Haku's attack is something that could easily be dismissed as poor writing if handled poorly but the first encounter with Zabuza showed Haku using that same attack to put Zabuza into a death-like trance while the middle portion provided us enough insight into Haku's character that not only does Sasuke surviving not feel cheap, but the realization that Haku spared him is one of the more poignant pieces of the arc.

What really stands out here is Zabuza and Haku. I'm quite aware that Kishimoto is a big Togashi fan, and I'm glad one thing from Togashi's work that he seems to deliver on here is treating his villains more like people than straight out villains. Of course Gato is unabashedly villainous but he mostly serves to give the villages a conflict to rise against at the end, as well as allow Zabuza a fitting closure to his story. Zabuza and Haku are both great characters. Haku's more obvious, he's immediate gentle nature and parallels to both Sasuka and Naruto made him pretty likable and a character of intrigue, plus his Mirror powers are awesome. Whereas Zabuza was likely a stronger character but one that took more work to reveal that. Kishimoto did a great job of balancing Zabuza, his "Not another word" tear moment at Haku's death held power in it, both towards how the moment built up in the moment, but because of Zabuza's own characterization prior to that (in that it conflicted with the personality generally shown but there were enough shown to make it feel obvious).

On the note of Zabuza, it's never stated why he attempted a coup but it seems pretty obvious to me that he disagreed with the general treatment of shinobi as tools (and the likely the exclusion of people like Haku). Which is another point I really liked about this arc, it was wise for Kishimoto to address this ideology in the first true arc of the series, and making Haku and Zabuza cornerstones of that was smart in helping developing Naruto's own stance.

If there's one major sore spot in this arc, it's Sakura. I'm not of the mindset that you have to contribute to the action to be a useful character but damn is it upsetting that Sakura basically gets no time to shine here, and is relegated to just worrying about Sasuke at the end. I'm glad that she was capable of controlling her chakra during the tree segment pretty much immediately but that accomplishment was severely undercut by having Kakashi immediately mention that Naruto & Sasuke dwarfs here with their chakra pool. We got to see Kakashi being awesome all-throughout and his abilities, Sasuke got to use the Sharingan (something cleverly hinted at through Kakashi's earlier usage of it), and Naruto go Nine-tails for the first time (which was awesome too). All Sakura gets is an immediate remainder that Sasuke and Naruto will eclipse her with a bit of training. Still, that aside, this is really solid first arc in the series.
Feb 10, 2021 7:30 AM

Apr 2020
I really liked this arc and Zabuza and Haku were great villains.
--AbiSa--
Nov 14, 2021 8:34 AM
Jul 2018
A sweet gesture that Naruto got a bridge named after him :)
Jan 20, 2022 7:36 PM
Jul 2018
Obviously not my favorite arc. It's a weak arc but not bad. It's good to start the manga, it created a good base I think. The characters are a little annoying but some are pretty cool. The plots aren't bad, the art isn't too bad (average imo) and the story is good. At the moment I don't know other initial arcs of other shonen manga but for me it's the best manga start right now.
Mar 10, 8:46 AM

Mar 2023
Regarding the Land of Waves Arc: I remember the main storyline very well, even before rereading it. Sometimes, it felt a bit tiresome to read because I already knew how it would turn out, especially up to the training with Kakashi. However, as soon as I reached volume 2, where they get assigned to the mission, it became easier for me to read. I appreciate the flashbacks for each character, such as Inari and Haku, and the symbolism of the bridge. The fights were also great, leading to a satisfying conclusion of the arc.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Naruto Chapter 342 Discussion

kittykun2011 - Nov 8, 2008

5 by Chfenj_ »»
Apr 13, 9:54 AM

Poll: » Naruto Chapter 244 Discussion

Thystrix - Mar 20, 2016

6 by Chfenj_ »»
Mar 30, 9:34 AM

Poll: » Naruto Chapter 649 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Blaine - Oct 2, 2013

74 by actuallytom »»
Mar 29, 12:14 PM

Poll: » Naruto Chapter 97 Discussion

jeanfarias - Aug 7, 2012

5 by MissDoublefinger »»
Mar 13, 6:52 AM

Poll: » Naruto Chapter 87 Discussion

jeanfarias - Jul 4, 2012

5 by MissDoublefinger »»
Mar 12, 7:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.