Forum Settings
Forums
New
raw or sub?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 2, 2008 10:43 PM

Jul 2008
Subs, but I think I confident enough to watch a raw; I'll have to watch a raw of a series i don't really care about.
Oct 2, 2008 11:12 PM

Aug 2008
Ya I can watch a raw, I wont understand everything that is said but I know enough to at least get a good picture of what they are talking about.
Oct 3, 2008 12:02 AM

May 2008
Raw.
Oct 3, 2008 3:21 AM

Oct 2008
I think I would prefer Sub, I Understand a little with raw but not enough to enjoy the anime.
Oct 3, 2008 12:53 PM

Sep 2008
Sub= raw+ I can actually

This thread is redundant.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Guidelines!
Oct 3, 2008 1:01 PM

Sep 2008
Raw for amvs but Subs for watching ^^
Oct 3, 2008 1:01 PM

Feb 2008
Monad said:
If i knew Japanese i will watch it in just raw but since i only understand a few words i watch in sub.

I second that.

“That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Oct 3, 2008 1:07 PM

Apr 2007
Subs are better for learning Japanese. Everything is already translate and words are repeated in various show so they start to stick. Raws are good for testing what you already know. At least that's what I think.
Oct 3, 2008 1:23 PM

Apr 2008
I LIKE BOTH RAW AND SUBBED

Oct 3, 2008 1:33 PM

Apr 2007
Sometimes I watch the RAW but even then I don't really know what they say. I do comprehend to a point of what they're talking about by what I'm seeing.

Oct 4, 2008 7:53 AM

Jun 2008
Yeah subs. I think you get much more out of a film when watching it with subs, even if you're pretty familiar with the spoken language. Like; I'm pretty cool with english, and could easily watch something english without subs, but I feel like I get so much more out of it when watching it with my native language's (danish) subs.
I wouldn't understand very much of a raw anime episodes anyways >_>

The combo of japanese spoken language and english subs is the best tho :)
... Even if I took time to write alot of intelligent words of deep thought and meaning in my signature, would you really care to read and comment on it? ...
Oct 4, 2008 8:02 AM

Mar 2008
I don't undertsnad Japanese so I don't usually undertsnad raws. English subs are the best for me!
~Friendship is so sweet that it can cause tooth decay~

~Respect the losers, cause without them, there'll be no winners~
Oct 7, 2008 6:36 PM

Oct 2008
RAW!
Oct 9, 2008 1:51 AM

May 2008
Asako said:
KidoMaster said:
It is hard to learn from RAW anime because, even if you make words out, you still don't know what it means. I'll go with subs.

You can't learn Japanese from anime, no matter how much weaboos want to think they can. It's impossible, period. It can be used as a study aide, but it's certainly not something that can be used as a sole resource.

So as an aide, anime can be great. But only if you're studying seriously and can find the usefulness in the medium beyond mere entertainment.

This is true, however I would have to say that although I am just in my first semester of University Japanese, I can confidently say that I have learned a LOT of japanese from watching subbed anime.

However I don't just watch to enjoy the anime, I watch to learn, and I will do things such as pause the anime and look on the internet if I hear a word or something I don't understand.

But I can say however I learned a LOT of things they don't teach you in jap class, and you will never learn unless you actually go to Japan.

Things like this for example include the plain form of verb conjugation and speaking(for example if you speak to a friend and say "shitsureishimasu" instead of something like "ja na/ne/ ja mata" or "desu" instead of "da" it is implying that you are distancing yourself from your friend, almost like you view them as a stranger.

They don't teach you these things in jap class, and I only learned it by having Japanese friends and doing research on the net.

Also you learn quite a few verbs and words, most of which you wouldn't use in real life but are fun to know. Things like mamoru / hanasu/ the constant kimochi and suki usage...

Along with that you get a lot of modern youth culture in animes, that you won't get unless you are in japan.

It can DEFINITELY be used as sort of a listening tool/quiz, but you will NEVER teach yourself japanese just by watching anime.
Oct 9, 2008 2:35 AM

Jun 2008
Sub. I'm still a rookie.

Came across Chi's sweet home raw and understood the first few lines.
But then the kitten went to long sentences and I turned to subed.

Oct 9, 2008 2:45 AM

Feb 2008
Subs. I find it a terrible waste of time to watch something when you only know a fraction of what they are saying. I am learning Japanese however, and when I say learning I don't mean by watching anime but actually studying, but I am not confident of my skills yet.
[fancy signature here]
Oct 9, 2008 4:51 AM

Sep 2008
I wont watch raw because if i dont understand it i find it pointless to watch, I would only watch raw if its either verry old and has no subbed versions or if its verry new and isnt subbed yet. And that dosent happen often.
Oct 9, 2008 6:27 AM

Jun 2007
TuXeyM11 said:
Asako said:
KidoMaster said:
It is hard to learn from RAW anime because, even if you make words out, you still don't know what it means. I'll go with subs.

You can't learn Japanese from anime, no matter how much weaboos want to think they can. It's impossible, period. It can be used as a study aide, but it's certainly not something that can be used as a sole resource.

So as an aide, anime can be great. But only if you're studying seriously and can find the usefulness in the medium beyond mere entertainment.

OMG

you know, you can Learn Japanese from anime in only 5 minutes a day!! (not)

今はどんでん返しの時代ではない★너와 함께 했던 일상은
어느샌가 작은 영화속 풍경이되고 ☆
Oct 14, 2008 11:47 AM

Jul 2007
Subs. After all I want to follow the story and my Japanese is still poor enough to let me drown in despair when watching raws (except for some very easy to understand anime like Chi's sweet home).
Oct 14, 2008 12:18 PM

Jul 2008
i understand some of the things they're talking about, but i watch the sub because my translation may not always be correct.
Oct 16, 2008 2:49 PM

Sep 2008
sub. i would be completely lost if i'm watching a raw. @_@

Oct 22, 2008 8:24 AM

Jun 2007
Since I don't understand Japanese.. I will have to go for sub..
Oct 22, 2008 9:43 AM

Sep 2008
Subs cause I can't understand moon YET!
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Oct 22, 2008 10:07 AM

Apr 2008
You're probably better off using neither as a means to learn japanese...
Oct 22, 2008 10:30 AM

Feb 2008
I'm the guy who thinks they either watch raw because:

1) they know the language
2) they obviously think their e-peen is gonna increase cause "OH HAY IM WATCHIN RAW WHILE U ARENT FGT"
3) they want to watch it first than everyone
4) haha i'm a hardcore weeaboo, i watch raws dohohoho
5) ???
6) profit

Yeah, I think watching raws without understanding a single bit of it (or, to the weeaboos, understanding 2/4 of it) is partially retarded but, hey, i'm no one to tell them that, it's their decision. Just pointing it out.

Subs > Raws
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum. They should really do their whining at manga forums."

Stolen from Janethan23. Add in visual novel readers too
Oct 26, 2008 4:53 AM
Oct 2008
Subs of course because I know about 3-4 words in Japanese xD which is obviously not enough to be able to understand a whole episode without subs ; )
Oct 26, 2008 6:12 AM

Sep 2008
I only know a few words in japanese so I watch with subs because i have a hard time understanding japanese.
Nov 3, 2008 7:03 AM
Oct 2008
ofcourse i'll choose sub so that i can understand what i'm watching and i already tried watching anime in raw and i really can't understand a thing....
Dec 27, 2015 11:28 AM
Dec 2015
RAW.
Subtitles cover up part of the screen and sometimes not even a correct translation. y'all missing culturality when you dont learn japanese.
Dec 27, 2015 12:28 PM

Oct 2015
erisu115 said:
RAW.
Subtitles cover up part of the screen and sometimes not even a correct translation. y'all missing culturality when you dont learn japanese.

Hey there buddy. I see that you replied to an almost 8 years old thread. It's...fascinating. But, more importantly, are you okay fam [fam as in family, I love you don't feel excluded]? It's....it's not an everday thing to see a thread brought up from the dead, liek really dead, state after so many years. God called this thread to pay Him a visit a long time ago bruh, y'all better stop. The die is cast. by J.C.

Please, I beg you, let this thread sleep carelessly in eternal peace! Show some respect!

Sincerely, Your Friend and Support. Call me if you need anything. 24/7 fam.
Dec 27, 2015 1:38 PM

Jun 2007
Yaamare said:

Please, I beg you, let this thread sleep carelessly in eternal peace! Show some respect!<br />
<br />

>berates user for necroposting
>bumps thread himself

Despite generally being able to understand raw anime, I still prefer subs, as good English subbing is usually more entertaining than Japanese scriptwriting.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - 7 hours ago

25 by Toooooooooohru »»
3 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

217 by Adnash »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 2 hours ago

8 by Toooooooooohru »»
6 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Today

34 by Toooooooooohru »»
7 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

111 by girltokyo »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.