Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 15, 2011 7:29 AM

Nov 2009
Well here I am...10 episodes in to what for all intents and purposes should be one of my top 3 anime of the year...Is it?

To summarize...no.

I watched the last two seasons of Shana and enjoyed them, albeit the first season more than the second. But I watched this and I just dont get the same feel from it. Sure it's the same characters in the same locale for the most part but it just feels so flawed and lacking in the feeling of the last two seasons.

Personally myself, I watched the first two seasons and was firmly behind the Flame Hazes and their mission to destroy the Tomogara threatening humans. However this entire season I have felt nothing at all for the cause of the Flame Hazes and I've swayed more to the side of Bal Masque. Their characters despite being monsters for the most part, seem to have far more personality to them in relation to the bland "good guys" of this series.

I'm with many on the regard that Yuji being possessed may be a case of poor plot progression but I don't mind his character at all and for the most part, he feels like one of the more relatable characters in the whole story. Especially with his goal to change the world to save everyone from the fighting and the fate of Flame Hazes. I feel it's very noble of him to still be thinking of everyone even after all that has happened to him and people he knows in the last 2 seasons.

I don't know if it's a case of the writing staff not being bothered at all or they are just trying to pump out material as fast as possible for the cash cow this series clearly is for JC Staff but I feel that the majority of characters feel very plain and one dimensional...even characters we have been familiar with through over 50 episodes already with. The way they have chose to cover their apparent lack of plot seems to be by adding several characters of whom I dont remember the names. Yes they are just that memorable. I've mentioned it before that whenever this series wants to explain something, there is always a reference to some long dead person with a really long title and it's tiring to see it played over and over.

I know I'm bound to have alot of the Shana fanboys who think this series is a true testament to the prior seasons flaming me for this but I know there are several other people out there who have had similar views on this and it's something we SHOULDN'T have. This should be unarguably the best show of the year considering how long we have all waited on it.

Simply put, it just doesnt feel like Shana but it's exceptionally hard to put a finger on the source.

What does everyone else think?
Dec 15, 2011 11:42 AM
Dec 2007
Riptos said:
Well here I am...10 episodes in to what for all intents and purposes should be one of my top 3 anime of the year...Is it?

To summarize...no.

I watched the last two seasons of Shana and enjoyed them, albeit the first season more than the second. But I watched this and I just dont get the same feel from it. Sure it's the same characters in the same locale for the most part but it just feels so flawed and lacking in the feeling of the last two seasons.

Personally myself, I watched the first two seasons and was firmly behind the Flame Hazes and their mission to destroy the Tomogara threatening humans. However this entire season I have felt nothing at all for the cause of the Flame Hazes and I've swayed more to the side of Bal Masque. Their characters despite being monsters for the most part, seem to have far more personality to them in relation to the bland "good guys" of this series.

I'm with many on the regard that Yuji being possessed may be a case of poor plot progression but I don't mind his character at all and for the most part, he feels like one of the more relatable characters in the whole story. Especially with his goal to change the world to save everyone from the fighting and the fate of Flame Hazes. I feel it's very noble of him to still be thinking of everyone even after all that has happened to him and people he knows in the last 2 seasons.

I don't know if it's a case of the writing staff not being bothered at all or they are just trying to pump out material as fast as possible for the cash cow this series clearly is for JC Staff but I feel that the majority of characters feel very plain and one dimensional...even characters we have been familiar with through over 50 episodes already with. The way they have chose to cover their apparent lack of plot seems to be by adding several characters of whom I dont remember the names. Yes they are just that memorable. I've mentioned it before that whenever this series wants to explain something, there is always a reference to some long dead person with a really long title and it's tiring to see it played over and over.

I know I'm bound to have alot of the Shana fanboys who think this series is a true testament to the prior seasons flaming me for this but I know there are several other people out there who have had similar views on this and it's something we SHOULDN'T have. This should be unarguably the best show of the year considering how long we have all waited on it.

Simply put, it just doesnt feel like Shana but it's exceptionally hard to put a finger on the source.

Not a case of poor writing, it's a case of poor planning on JC's case during the last two seasons and an impossibility to adapt everything properly in one season without losing a lot of details.

Dec 18, 2011 3:18 PM

Nov 2009
So no one has any thoughts at all on this? You would have to wonder considering how much discussion there has been on this from Episode 11.
Dec 18, 2011 8:33 PM

Dec 2010
Riptos said:

To summarize...no.

Each has their own opinion but i feel that this season simply takes a step back which is why it lacks the feel you are mentioning. to describe what i mean is that instead of it being Shana,Shana, Yuji, and more Shana they take the eagle eye view of what is now a war and thus it loses feel because it simply has to many new characters to cover; and even with that the main characters are still given priority so like we saw from Margery last episode I'm sure we will see of Shana and Yuji and such in the coming episodes.

Also i may be wrong but to call Yuji being possessed i feel is off, i feel more like the merge or share a body since he can control his own actions; possession is usually one side dominating another; this is co existence. I do agree on feeling more for Bal Masque as I'm in that boat also but its mainly because i don't like the Flame Haze's in this season (that nun can die a horrible death for all i care); with the exception of the short haired one i don't feel for them at all. And those Flame Haze's who were already present like Wilhelmina (who i never really liked) Margery (not shown enough) and the others have either regressed or stayed the same.

I believe Shana has actually regressed the most because she isn't open minded at all which is probably my only complaint; its like she is some brain washed tool which makes me understand why Yuji would want to take away her reason for fighting, its like she doesn't even have a personality outside of "must beat Yuji", it also appears that her pride is another reason for it since she got owned when he wasn't even trying. Well for me i'll just see how it plays out because seasons can always get better or worse so i won't judge it till its all over and done.
Dec 19, 2011 9:28 AM
Jul 2018
A Case of Poor Writing?

I believe Shana has actually regressed the most because she isn't open minded at all which is probably my only complaint; its like she is some brain washed tool which makes me understand why Yuji would want to take away her reason for fighting, its like she doesn't even have a personality outside of "must beat Yuji", it also appears that her pride is another reason for it since she got owned when he wasn't even trying. Well for me i'll just see how it plays out because seasons can always get better or worse so i won't judge it till its all over and done.

BINGO.
removed-userDec 19, 2011 9:32 AM
Dec 21, 2011 6:46 PM

Nov 2008
To summarize, what are you on?

The season started off a little slow but after the first few episodes it has been as good as the other seasons. The driving point of this season is Shana finally admitting her feelings for Yuji without feeling like such an object (ie. Flame Haze) and to let her Tsundere guard drop, to the above poster, anyone who is expecting otherwise or believes there is a different alternative for this season needs to check themselves in. I expect something similar but more conclusive and more romantic like the end of Zero No with Louise and Saito, also similar to what the final season of that show will be too... as for the plot being drawn to a conclusion OP, that is coming along nicely.

Trinity are being gunned down now by the main chars in the god gate that is meant to retrieve the body of an almighty force... while the intense war on the ground is keeping the rest of the Shana universe busy. In terms of storyline it is a lot more relevant than some of the dodgy yet still watchable arcs leading up to this... would you feel better if they had a pool day back at high school or something? It could be worse. Maybe you have grown up and are expecting too much out of anime? It has been a while between drinks.

Relax my friends. You might be watching for the wrong reasons/don't understand what this show has been about the entire time.
AnistylezDec 21, 2011 6:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/swiftstylez - My AMV's. I would really appreciate any comments and ratings :]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shakugan no Shana III (Final) Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - Mar 23, 2012

480 by HHD1996 »»
Feb 18, 10:36 PM

Poll: » Shakugan no Shana III (Final) Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

game8910 - Nov 18, 2011

78 by Estefan »»
Jan 27, 4:56 AM

» Is it just me or does Shakugan No shana season 3 suck??

chrisedmonds - Nov 14, 2014

34 by AdityaRizkiS »»
Jan 22, 10:13 AM

Poll: » Shakugan no Shana III (Final) Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

KimChanx3 - Oct 28, 2011

184 by Jooshau »»
Apr 27, 2023 7:30 PM

Poll: » Shakugan no Shana III (Final) Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

game8910 - Dec 16, 2011

158 by burntlettuce »»
Feb 27, 2023 8:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.