Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 4, 2011 4:21 PM

Mar 2011
Seriously, Ume is the only character who i will always find weird to have fans.

Seriously, how can a character like that have fans?

If you're like Ume, then you're either:

a)This guy: http://myanimelist.net/character/51233/Hiroaki_Uchimoto
b)a masochist
c)A troll

And the reason why people don't like her is that she contributes nothing to the story. And the fact that Satou turns into a pussy whenever she's there makes me hate the writers. Seriously, they make him out to be a wolf in bento fights. But he's a fucking fag when it comes to some snotty bitch in school. It is not funny. It just pisses me off for not making any fucking sense. Even comedy has to make some sense stick to it's own ground rules.

Alright, think of McNulty from The Wire. Would you make him a tough Irish cop when he walks to the projects, and then turn him into a pussy when he walks out of the projects? Of course not. So yeah it makes no fucking sense.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 4, 2011 4:25 PM

Dec 2010
There's a difference between fighting for bento and fighting in school.

You know if he does anything he'll probably be made the bad guy.
Besides, her antics hardly bother me. I dislike it, yes, but they're short segments and I'm not so annoyed I'd call the character out on it.
Dec 4, 2011 4:29 PM

Mar 2011
notsureifsrs said:
There's a difference between fighting for bento and fighting in school.

You know if he does anything he'll probably be made the bad guy.

Which is better than nothing.

Hell, he'd be considered an anti-hero. An anti-hero has the basis in survivalism, and being a "Wolf" can be a prequisite for an anti-hero.
Dec 4, 2011 5:10 PM

Apr 2009
why she's likeable, you say? we're masochists either explicitly or hiding in our hearts.. i don't see the great mystery anywhere.. we're naturally gonna be attracted to the opposite..
Dec 4, 2011 6:01 PM
Jul 2018
The real question is why do you care so much?

Personally, I am not a fan of her, she is just a general anime trope in the show, and like you said doesn't really contribute to much, but there are tons of side characters in other shows that I personally love.

I don't see why you care if people are into a character you don't like.

As for Satou getting slapped by her, there can be many explanations.

1. He doesn't fight back because she is a girl, and the reason he may fight girls in the bento fights is because they are a set game where everyone is out for the same thing and aware of the consequences.

2. She is just an anime trope. There are tons of "abusive class presidents" and she is there for the soul sake to please people of that fan base. This is anime after all.

3. Comedic reasons. While you or I may not think this is funny, some people do. Deal with it.
Dec 4, 2011 6:10 PM

Jun 2008
While we're at it, how can people seriously like bananas? So yellow and disgusting, I just don't understand why anyone would want to swallow that crap unless you're a health nut, and even then you can just eat the much superior apple. It makes no sense to me that people can actually enjoy eating bananas.
Dec 4, 2011 6:23 PM

Jun 2009
i've only seen the first episode and so far, i really don't like her. i just find antics like hers REALLY annoying and bothersome. maybe my thoughts on her will change if i ever get the chance to watch more of the show later on, but i kinda doubt it.
"everyone knows that the last toes are always the coldest to go."

Telavators-the mars volta
Dec 4, 2011 6:25 PM

Jan 2011
Redfoxoffire said:
While we're at it, how can people seriously like bananas? So yellow and disgusting, I just don't understand why anyone would want to swallow that crap unless you're a health nut, and even then you can just eat the much superior apple. It makes no sense to me that people can actually enjoy eating bananas.

Bananas have scientific evidence that it has biological benefits for the body and keeping it healthy....

Getting beat down has negative effects to the body I'm pretty sure :p
Dec 4, 2011 6:35 PM

Jun 2008
Redfoxoffire said:

Lol! I give you points for imagination in your argument.^_^. I'm not gonna bother to evaluate it's correctness. That gave me a good laugh.
Dec 4, 2011 6:42 PM

Mar 2011
Tenchi_Ryu said:
Redfoxoffire said:

Bananas have scientific evidence that it has biological benefits for the body and keeping it healthy....

Getting beat down has negative effects to the body I'm pretty sure :p

True.
Dec 4, 2011 7:25 PM

Oct 2008
Because I am an M.
Because I appreciate comedy.
Because I like girls with that hair style.
Because she's shown the most nudity of all the characters.
Because she has great taste in girls (girls in glasses FTW).
Because why not.

All of these are the reasons that immediately come to mind on why I at least tolerate Ume. I could probably think of more, but I just needed to say my thoughts. Is she my favorite on this show? No (see number 5), but that doesn't mean I want to actually hurt her or anything. To me, she has far too many haters that she doesn't deserve.

Dec 4, 2011 7:37 PM
Jan 2009
Okay, so here's your logic:

"I hate Ume."
|
V
"This means I can make a complete, general, objective assessment about all the people out there who don't hate her, even though I've never met these people."

Great, let me try:

I hate green beans. All the people who like green beans either have broken taste buds or were fed piss for the first five years of their life.

Wow, that was easy! Hang on, I need to go inform my local White Supremacists' Society and the regional branch of the Neo-Nazi Party about this remarkable breakthrough in rhetoric.
Dec 4, 2011 8:12 PM

Mar 2008
Because I like girls that are strong.
Himecuts are awesome.
She has a great body.
I like her cold voice.
I like her cold attitude.
She's a lesbian.
She has great taste in swimsuits (clothes in general).
She's a total badass. (See Episode 9 where she walks away from explosion)
She is actually really kind, thoughtful, and caring (see Episode 9); just not to Satou.
Her overprotectiveness is actually kind of cute to me.
I don't like Satou all that much so when everyone hates on her for beating Satou for "no reason", it doesn't bother me at all.

Dec 4, 2011 8:26 PM

Jul 2007
I dont like her. But i suppose she has a nice haircut and body.
Dec 4, 2011 9:23 PM

Nov 2010
i just dislike her now that her beating up satou EVERY DAMN episode is realy just getting anoying and boring oh did i mention it's ANOYING!!
Dec 4, 2011 11:25 PM

Nov 2008
Poor Ume, as if being 24 and still single wasn’t enough.

Oops, wrong Ume.

Anyway, there are many reasons for me to like Ume Shiraume:

-Because she’s Tall, Dark and Bishoujo.
-Because she’s an Abusively Sexy Lady and I want to be slapped by her.
-Because her long, black hair is the stuff dreams are made of.
-Because she has a great butt and I prefer those to breasts.
-Because she has killer legs and an amazing Absolute Territory.
-Because she’s really caring to those she likes, as HomuraIsMyWaifu said.
-Because she’s so awesome and badass Asebi’s curse doesn’t work on her.

Plus, speaking of Asebi, she’s just as “pointless” as Ume is yet no one seems to dislike her for it. And she’s there for “unlucky moe” and loli fans much like Ume is there to cater to masochists and yuri fans. It’s called appealing to a wide audience.

Though, it seems dominant girl in general are always hated for some reason. Guess people have trouble with the idea of the girl being on top for once.

Though, not sure why I’m arguing, this smart man said it best:

Redfoxoffire said:

QFT. Reminds me of a hilarious Penny-Arcade comic where they mocked people lambasting a RPG for having you battle to level up and become stronger. Like, y’know, around 99% of JRPGs out there. That’s what the genre is about.
Dec 5, 2011 1:13 AM

Nov 2007
I don't like Ume very much for being overprotective of the girl (who turns out to be yaoi lover), and with no particular reason she blames on the guy, who is at fault, too, for not fighting back (though there's also a reason that Ume is stronger than the guy). The strong girl hitting the weak guy is still cannot miss, though.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Dec 5, 2011 1:23 AM

Oct 2010
Taufiq91 said:
Seriously, Ume is the only character who i will always find weird to have fans.

Seriously, how can a character like that have fans?

If you're like Ume, then you're either:

a)This guy: http://myanimelist.net/character/51233/Hiroaki_Uchimoto
b)a masochist
c)A troll

And the reason why people don't like her is that she contributes nothing to the story. And the fact that Satou turns into a pussy whenever she's there makes me hate the writers. Seriously, they make him out to be a wolf in bento fights. But he's a fucking fag when it comes to some snotty bitch in school. It is not funny. It just pisses me off for not making any fucking sense. Even comedy has to make some sense stick to it's own ground rules.

Alright, think of McNulty from The Wire. Would you make him a tough Irish cop when he walks to the projects, and then turn him into a pussy when he walks out of the projects? Of course not. So yeah it makes no fucking sense.

I don’t know if it’s just me, when I watch anime,I will becoming engrossed in the series, unable to divide reality from fallacy. Thus,I will "synchronise" with the main character.So,when Ume insult Sato,I will also feel annoyed.So,maybe you and I are alike in this case so we don't like Ume.
However,I guess most people will not feel like that (people will act emotionally when they watch sentimental anime and "ben-to"is a comedy). Most of them see anime as a source of escapism and relaxation(not to involved or engross in the anime),they won't feel angry or annoying when they watching Ume unreasonable action,they see Ume as a gag or a character who exist for comedy reason plus Ume is quite beautiful and has special character,so they like her.Of course,this is only my own opinion.
Signature Removed
Dec 5, 2011 11:40 AM

Dec 2009
Lordcrab86 said:
i've only seen the first episode and so far, i really don't like her. i just find antics like hers REALLY annoying and bothersome. maybe my thoughts on her will change if i ever get the chance to watch more of the show later on, but i kinda doubt it.

Just you wait. Episode 9 will blow you away... Not in a good way I might add ;)
Dec 5, 2011 12:12 PM
Jul 2011
Maybe they just do?

I personally really dislike her. I see her as a bully, some may call it comedy, but I see no comedy from girls hitting guys, because oh god you know what happens when it's the other way around.

Overprotectiveness is ok, but she is clearly deluding herself on Oshiroi, she near enough attempts rape on girls and is cool, but for some reason unnamed extra's think Satou getting hit means he's a rapist... pervert and the lot.... confuses me.

Hitting someone for a reason is ok, but hitting someone because you are jealous and want to outlet anger onto someone isn't.

.... My main reason for disliking Ume.... she seems to be the sort of person who is like a crazy covert feminist who would blame men for everything, whilst attempting rape on women and calling herself the superior race... she must be a nazi 8-)

But in all seriousness, she's a bitch, and I'm a sexual sadist so we don't have good compatibility.

Sky High - The True King of Heroes
Dec 5, 2011 12:13 PM

Jun 2008
Episode 9 is the best episode of Ben-To.
Dec 5, 2011 12:15 PM
Jul 2011
Redfoxoffire said:

Not trying to be rude here.... but do you have some sort of grudge against Satou or guys in general.... or was it the Yuri perhaps 8-)

Dec 5, 2011 12:29 PM

Jun 2008
SkyHigh said:
Redfoxoffire said:

Not trying to be rude here.... but do you have some sort of grudge against Satou or guys in general.... or was it the Yuri perhaps 8-)

No, not at all (grudge against Satou or guys in general). The idea of a yandere lesbian is like the best thing ever for me and episode 9 gave me more than I ever expected out of Ben-To.

So yeah, it was pretty much the yuri, but her violent side helps.

For the record, I support Slapstick Knows no Gender. For example, I love Akari in Yuru Yuri because I like watching her get treated like shit, especially in the last episode. I also liked Maria†Holic, which should speak for itself.
Dec 5, 2011 12:35 PM
Jul 2011
Redfoxoffire said:
SkyHigh said:
Redfoxoffire said:

No, not at all (grudge against Satou or guys in general). The idea of a yandere lesbian is like the best thing ever for me and episode 9 gave me more than I ever expected out of Ben-To.

So yeah, it was pretty much the yuri, but her violent side helps.

For the record, I support Slapstick Knows no Gender. For example, I love Akari in Yuru Yuri because I like watching her get treated like shit, especially in the last episode. I also liked Maria†Holic, which should speak for itself.

But don't you find her too violent for no reason, maybe from a female's perspective it's different, but to do that just because you can, and due to jealously, it's mean, meh I'm not really sure, but everyone has the right to like who they do.

I love Yanderes by the way, such as Yuko in Mirai Nikki, Sanae in HOTD (well her sadistic part) but Ume isn't really a Yandere since she has no attraction to her victim, on the other hand she is more like a wierd Tsundere towards girls I guess.

Dec 5, 2011 12:40 PM

Mar 2008
SkyHigh said:
Maybe they just do?

I personally really dislike her. I see her as a bully, some may call it comedy, but I see no comedy from girls hitting guys, because oh god you know what happens when it's the other way around.

Overprotectiveness is ok, but she is clearly deluding herself on Oshiroi, she near enough attempts rape on girls and is cool, but for some reason unnamed extra's think Satou getting hit means he's a rapist... pervert and the lot.... confuses me.

Hitting someone for a reason is ok, but hitting someone because you are jealous and want to outlet anger onto someone isn't.

.... My main reason for disliking Ume.... she seems to be the sort of person who is like a crazy covert feminist who would blame men for everything, whilst attempting rape on women and calling herself the superior race... she must be a nazi 8-)

But in all seriousness, she's a bitch, and I'm a sexual sadist so we don't have good compatibility.

Nice contradiction. "Hitting someone for a reason is okay but hitting someone because you are jealous" isn't. Jealousy is the probably part of or most of reason, so I don't see how you can say hitting someone for a reason is okay but then go on and say jealousy can't be a reason. Why not?

and I don't really see Ume as a feminist. (If you can direct me to some scene that says so otherwise, I will retract this statement. I just don't remember if there was such a scene.) The only person she hits and is rude to is Satou, not guys in general. It just so happens Satou is a guy.

Dec 5, 2011 12:43 PM

Jun 2008
SkyHigh said:
But don't you find her too violent for no reason, maybe from a female's perspective it's different, but to do that just because you can, and due to jealously, it's mean, meh I'm not really sure, but everyone has the right to like who they do.

I love Yanderes by the way, such as Yuko in Mirai Nikki, Sanae in HOTD (well her sadistic part) but Ume isn't really a Yandere since she has no attraction to her victim, on the other hand she is more like a wierd Tsundere towards girls I guess.

Since when do yandere have attraction toward their victim? Yuno kills other people and protects Yuki, Saeko (it's not Sanae) kills zombies (and doesn't really come off as yandere anyway, at least to me)...Ume is very similar in how she treats Satou to "protect" Oshiroi. And she is far from tsundere considering there have already been two attempted yuri rape scenes. Tsundere is, like, the opposite of that.

I actually find it strange that you like Yuno but dislike Ume considering they are practically the same disregarding the gender of their attraction. Yuno should be worse since she literally kills people and seriously wounds them otherwise while Ume just beats Satou up.
Dec 5, 2011 12:44 PM
Jul 2011
HomuraIsMyWaifu said:
SkyHigh said:
Maybe they just do?

Nice contradiction. "Hitting someone for a reason is okay but hitting someone because you are jealous" isn't. Jealousy is the probably part of or most of reason, so I don't see how you can say hitting someone for a reason is okay but then go on and say jealousy can't be a reason. Why not?

and I don't really see Ume as a feminist. (If you can direct me to some scene that says so otherwise, I will retract this statement. I just don't remember if there was such a scene.) The only person she hits and is rude to is Satou, not guys in general. It just so happens Satou is a guy.

I see Jealousy as something that is an excuse, I don't go around hitting people because of jealousy, it shows immaturity to deal with things through violence.

Now to be honest i never said she was, I said "she seems like" because trust me I know this one girl who acts a lot like Ume, and she said that "Men deserve to die and they are all rapists and criminals...." so maybe this is another reason for me to dislike her.

Jealousy isn't a viable reason, it isn't a reason, because jealousy can be from many things, in the end it's a sign that you aren't mature if you can't control your negative emotions and must hit someone for it.

Dec 5, 2011 12:48 PM
Jul 2011
Redfoxoffire said:
SkyHigh said:

Since when do yandere have attraction toward their victim? Yuno kills other people and protects Yuki, Saeko (it's not Sanae) kills zombies (and doesn't really come off as yandere anyway, at least to me)...Ume is very similar in how she treats Satou to "protect" Oshiroi. And she is far from tsundere considering there have already been two attempted yuri rape scenes. Tsundere is, like, the opposite of that.

I actually find it strange that you like Yuno but dislike Ume considering they are practically the same disregarding the gender of their attraction. Yuno should be worse since she literally kills people and seriously wounds them otherwise while Ume just beats Satou up.

Well most Yandere's victims are their loved ones in some form, I accidently jumped the gun, as in frighten them, I'll agree with the Tsundere part though, the reason I assumed such (Yanderes) is because most Yanderes only really target their object of affection through stalking, of course in shows like Mirai Nikki, Yuno kills people... but that's the aim of the game anyways.... she actually scares me a little, I've been stalked before... :S

Argh, I'm getting confused, but it doesn't particularly detract from my dislike of Ume, about Yuno, well number one she is more complex, I'm not sure if you've read the manga, but I have, number two, I genuinely understand Yukki's fear of her, but it's kinda interesting, Yuno and Ume are lightyears apart, Ume is just violent, she's not really protecting Oshiroi because it's not like Satou does ANYTHING to her, but with Yuno well she goes so far for Yukki, I genuinely look past it because it really feels like Yuno loves Yukki.

Dec 5, 2011 12:55 PM

Jun 2008
Yuno is fully willing to kill absolutely anyone that gets in her way of Yuki, though, regardless of whether or not it's part of the game. She's okay with using innocent people as bait, for example. She's pretty heartless to anyone who isn't Yuki (or his mom).

Don't get me wrong, I like Yuno, too (I like the archetype in general), but to dislike Ume for her violent ways and like Yuno despite her being worse is contradictory as I am seeing it.

In terms of victims, tsunderes are the ones who beat on their target of affection. A yandere's target of affection would only be a victim in a psychological way, which seems to be what you're going for.
Dec 5, 2011 12:56 PM

Mar 2008
SkyHigh said:
HomuraIsMyWaifu said:
SkyHigh said:
Maybe they just do?

I see Jealousy as something that is an excuse, I don't go around hitting people because of jealousy, it shows immaturity to deal with things through violence.

Now to be honest i never said she was, I said "she seems like" because trust me I know this one girl who acts a lot like Ume, and she said that "Men deserve to die and they are all rapists and criminals...." so maybe this is another reason for me to dislike her.

Jealousy isn't a viable reason, it isn't a reason, because jealousy can be from many things, in the end it's a sign that you aren't mature if you can't control your negative emotions and must hit someone for it.

But Yuno is willing to kill people out of jealousy even if there was no reason to be jealous much like Ume. and just as you can feel Yuno genuinely loves Yukki, I can feel Ume's genuine love for Oshiroi (evidenced by episode 9).

Edit: Redfoxoffire said everything I wanted to. :c

Dec 5, 2011 1:03 PM
Jul 2011
HomuraIsMyWaifu said:
SkyHigh said:
HomuraIsMyWaifu said:
SkyHigh said:
Maybe they just do?

But Yuno is willing to kill people out of jealousy even if there was no reason to be jealous much like Ume. and just as you can feel Yuno genuinely loves Yukki, I can feel Ume's genuine love for Oshiroi (evidenced by episode 9).

Ahem, just going to point out I've read the manga and thus I know all there is about the twist and turns of Mirai Nikki, and trust me what seems like Jealousy isn't just jealousy, she kinda knows what's going to happen, so she's not ALL insane, but at the same time, completely insane.

Besides they are different characters, Ume annoys me, she doesn't even seem mentally unstable like Yuno, she is calm yet a yandere... uh-huh, can we just settle for that I think she's a bully and I dislike her, you are entitled to your opinion of liking her, can't I have my own opinion, besides I don't feel much love coming from Ume, since she throws herself at every girl, like Shaga for example, whilst Yuno is devoted :)

Dec 5, 2011 1:11 PM

Mar 2008
SkyHigh said:
HomuraIsMyWaifu said:
SkyHigh said:
HomuraIsMyWaifu said:
SkyHigh said:
Maybe they just do?

Ahem, just going to point out I've read the manga and thus I know all there is about the twist and turns of Mirai Nikki, and trust me what seems like Jealousy isn't just jealousy, she kinda knows what's going to happen, so she's not ALL insane, but at the same time, completely insane.

Besides they are different characters, Ume annoys me, she doesn't even seem mentally unstable like Yuno, she is calm yet a yandere... uh-huh, can we just settle for that I think she's a bully and I dislike her, you are entitled to your opinion of liking her, can't I have my own opinion, besides I don't feel much love coming from Ume, since she throws herself at every girl, like Shaga for example, whilst Yuno is devoted :)

and I read the manga too, and while it was a while ago, she has done stuff out of jealousy. and of course, I'm not saying you have to like Ume, just that it's kind of unfair you would overlook it for one character and not for another.

Dec 5, 2011 1:22 PM
Jul 2011
HomuraIsMyWaifu said:
SkyHigh said:
HomuraIsMyWaifu said:
SkyHigh said:
HomuraIsMyWaifu said:
SkyHigh said:
Maybe they just do?

and I read the manga too, and while it was a while ago, she has done stuff out of jealousy. and of course, I'm not saying you have to like Ume, just that it's kind of unfair you would overlook it for one character and not for another.

Some was jealousy but if you finished it then you should know Yuno's true secret, thus she knows mostly what will happen. I am not overlooking it, because Yuno is completely different from Ume. Ume is a cardboard cut out of the bitchy abusive student council president, glossed over with lesbian overtones, Yuno on the other hand is much more complex, she's literally insane, it's interesting.

Ume is frustrating because she already discriminates, she'd attack any guys, but she'd never lash out at a girl, instant sexism, not only that the way she attacks people, is like genuine bullying.

Yuno is more complex and quite frankly less generic, so I am not overlooking anything, in fact if Ume had some sort of interesting quirk then she'd be fine but right now she is basically the ALL POWERFUL BITCH who hits Satou because she can.

Dec 5, 2011 1:23 PM

Jan 2011
Don't know if you all are watching it...but one thing that absolutely baffles me is some of the Same people who love Ume absolutely can't stand Yozora from Boku wa Tomodachi. They pretty much bash her to death, yet praise Ume for the same stuff.....straight bais hypocrisy IMHO.
Dec 5, 2011 1:25 PM
Jul 2011
Tenchi_Ryu said:
Don't know if you all are watching it...but one thing that absolutely baffles me is some of the Same people who love Ume absolutely can't stand Yozora from Boku wa Tomodachi. They pretty much bash her to death, yet praise Ume for the same stuff.....straight bais hypocrisy IMHO.

I can understand it, in general it's the people who like Ume are Yuri likers (most probably), I actually like Yozora, she's funny with it, she abuses EVERYONE, so it's fine, her abuse doesn't stop at one person which makes it look like a vendetta, maybe they enjoy a guy being abused but girls getting abused is a No-no.

Dec 5, 2011 1:39 PM

Jun 2008
SkyHigh said:
Ume is frustrating because she already discriminates, she'd attack any guys, but she'd never lash out at a girl, instant sexism, not only that the way she attacks people, is like genuine bullying.

Technically, you don't know if any of this is true since the anime isn't over and probably won't cover all of the novels anyway. Ume has never said that she will only hit guys and never girls, and since the only one we've seen her beat up is Satou, there isn't much evidence for it, either.

Tenchi_Ryu said:

Don't know about others, but I love Yozora for some of the same reasons as Ume, except in this case her bullying is targeted at other girls.
Dec 5, 2011 1:46 PM

Mar 2008
SkyHigh said:
Tenchi_Ryu said:

I can understand it, in general it's the people who like Ume are Yuri likers (most probably), I actually like Yozora, she's funny with it, she abuses EVERYONE, so it's fine, her abuse doesn't stop at one person which makes it look like a vendetta, maybe they enjoy a guy being abused but girls getting abused is a No-no.

What the hell is wrong with that logic? It's okay if you abuse more than one person, but it's wrong if you abuse one person only? So it's better if you bully multiple people rather than just one?

And unless you've read the novels which say so otherwise, you can't be certain that she is a sexist that will beat up any guy as I've already said before.

Dec 5, 2011 1:49 PM
Jul 2011
Redfoxoffire said:
SkyHigh said:

Technically, you don't know if any of this is true since the anime isn't over and probably won't cover all of the novels anyway. Ume has never said that she will only hit guys and never girls, and since the only one we've seen her beat up is Satou, there isn't much evidence for it, either.

Tenchi_Ryu said:

Don't know about others, but I love Yozora for some of the same reasons as Ume, except in this case her bullying is targeted at other girls.

Ahem, you do know that she is not only a lesbian, but that this is a comedy.... she will no way in hell hit any other girls, the closest she will come to hitting another girl is raping them, but she's not doing that to hurt them, unlike what she does to Satou 8-), sorry but if you delude yourself that Ume is a incredibly complex character I'm afraid you are looking too deeply into her character :S

To be honest Yozora at times has bullied Kodoka, mainly in the novels though, but the main scope of her abuse is Sena.... it's refershing to see a girl abusing another girl for a change.... and I'm not saying that in any cruel way, but I've seen enough animes where girls abuse guys but assume all other girls are saintly beings sent by god (the last part was slightly sarcastic so please don't take it seriously)

Dec 5, 2011 1:52 PM
Jul 2011
HomuraIsMyWaifu said:
SkyHigh said:
Tenchi_Ryu said:

What the hell is wrong with that logic? It's okay if you abuse more than one person, but it's wrong if you abuse one person only? So it's better if you bully multiple people rather than just one?

And unless you've read the novels which say so otherwise, you can't be certain that she is a sexist that will beat up any guy as I've already said before.

Bullying itself is not Ok, but with Ume it's isolated, showing a personal hatred, whilst with Yozora she is quite frankly terrible with others and prefers to be alone, cherishing one friend over 100, something shown in a flashback, Yozora isn't doing it through maliciousness, it's part of her personality.

And to be honest, you are all looking for faults in my arguments, saying uncertainties, but remember she is a minor character, her key trait is her lesbianism towards Oshiroi, not only that most girls in this anime are portrayed as horrible people who screw Satou over one way or another, either completely going against his privacy (writing Yaoi about him like WTF) or doing what Shaga did and making him dress up in a girls uniform, let me guess, haha it's pure comedy gold? nah, it's typical harem material, and it's annoying.

The only victim of the physical abuse from Ume will be Satou.

Dec 5, 2011 1:54 PM

Jun 2008
SkyHigh said:
Ahem, you do know that she is not only a lesbian, but that this is a comedy.... she will no way in hell hit any other girls, the closest she will come to hitting another girl is raping them, but she's not doing that to hurt them, unlike what she does to Satou 8-), sorry but if you delude yourself that Ume is a incredibly complex character I'm afraid you are looking too deeply into her character :S

Oh, I'm not assuming we'll get anything "complex" about Ume at all, I'm just stating the facts based on our current knowledge. Ume seems to like glasses girls (Oshiroi and Shaga both), so what if some non-glasses girl started "exposing" "things" to Oshiroi similar to how Ume sees Satou doing it? And how do you know Ume doesn't have a big bro or daddy that she looks up to (in a completely familial way) and would never hit?

To be honest Yozora at times has bullied Kodoka, mainly in the novels though, but the main scope of her abuse is Sena.... it's refershing to see a girl abusing another girl for a change.... and I'm not saying that in any cruel way, but I've seen enough animes where girls abuse guys but assume all other girls are saintly beings sent by god (the last part was slightly sarcastic so please don't take it seriously)

Agreed. I especially like it when Yozora bullies Maria. Watching the poor girl run around naked and then get put in time-out got the sadist in me rolling.
Dec 5, 2011 1:56 PM

Jun 2008
It's so funny because if Ume was in love with Satou (in other words if she was a tsundere) people would LOVE her but hey she's not after the MC's cock so she's the worst character ever.
Dec 5, 2011 2:00 PM

Jun 2008
Araya said:
It's so funny because if Ume was in love with Satou (in other words if she was a tsundere) people would LOVE her but hey she's not after the MC's cock so she's the worst character ever.

So much truth.
Dec 5, 2011 2:00 PM

Nov 2011
When I first saw Ume, she was basically defined by two characterisitcs - her tendency to attack Sato for any minor slight, and her aggressive yuri alignment. I didn't find either characteristic endearing or funny, but I put up with it.

What's disappointing is that we've had 9 episodes of Ben-To right now, and she keeps popping up without offering any new spin on those characteristics, or any new characteristics at all for that matter (or at least, if she has displayed any other characteristics, they've been swamped by the two dominant ones I mentioned earlier). I find her dull and worn-out, and to focus 3/4 of an episode on her and not give her a new angle is only making my impression of her more negative.
Dec 5, 2011 2:04 PM
Jul 2011
Araya said:

Dude or Dudette xD, I hate harems, simple....

In general my dislike is her obvious hatred towards Satou simple, it's cruel and bullying, don't assume that everyone is the same and watch anime just to see some quick ecchi, I actually found this anime funny when it started.

@RedFox

I don't know if she has a daddy or big bro that she looks up to, but what exactly does that have to do with anything? In general she still can be seen as someone who hates men even if she has some exceptions, in my personal opinion, family is family and you should love your family unless they have done something HORRIBLE to you.

I think if some girl did that Ume would dress them up and make them wear glasses after raping them in the bath.... typical Ume.

Dec 5, 2011 2:26 PM

Jan 2011
Araya said:

Because the Tsundere could be fucked into submission. One of the main factors that make tsundere so successful is the breaking down of the ice wall that makes the girl so cold. And you realize that she CAN be a nice person if you get to know her. And many guys feel its an accomplishment that you "tamed the bitchy beast with your manliness" lol.

Ume on the other hand is a lost cause that just can't be saved.....And like Barack Obama said in Boondocks..."We Denounce, repudiate, and Condemn her....basically, FUCK HER" lol.
Dec 5, 2011 3:14 PM

Mar 2008
Tenchi_Ryu said:
Araya said:

Because the Tsundere could be fucked into submission. One of the main factors that make tsundere so successful is the breaking down of the ice wall that makes the girl so cold. And you realize that she CAN be a nice person if you get to know her. And many guys feel its an accomplishment that you "tamed the bitchy beast with your manliness" lol.

Ume on the other hand is a lost cause that just can't be saved.....And like Barack Obama said in Boondocks..."We Denounce, repudiate, and Condemn her....basically, FUCK HER" lol.

But we've already seen Ume's good side in episode 9 which is beyond her ice cold wall. And if this is like any other harem, it's only a matter of time before Ume joins.

SkyHigh said:
HomuraIsMyWaifu said:
SkyHigh said:
Tenchi_Ryu said:

Bullying itself is not Ok, but with Ume it's isolated, showing a personal hatred, whilst with Yozora she is quite frankly terrible with others and prefers to be alone, cherishing one friend over 100, something shown in a flashback, Yozora isn't doing it through maliciousness, it's part of her personality.

And to be honest, you are all looking for faults in my arguments, saying uncertainties, but remember she is a minor character, her key trait is her lesbianism towards Oshiroi, not only that most girls in this anime are portrayed as horrible people who screw Satou over one way or another, either completely going against his privacy (writing Yaoi about him like WTF) or doing what Shaga did and making him dress up in a girls uniform, let me guess, haha it's pure comedy gold? nah, it's typical harem material, and it's annoying.

So if its your personality to be a bully, then its justified. Great logic. Bullying is bullying no matter how you try to sprinkle icing on top of it. Don't see how Yozora's bullying is any more justifiable than Ume's.

No one's forcing you to watch this. If you think typical harem material is annoying, then don't watch it. Also modelling a character after someone=/= a breach in privacy. It's not like she stalks him at night and writes about him; she writes about what she fantasizes and sees when they're together. As for Shaga, she's just being playful. I think your bias for the Ice Witch is too strong, that you see other girls as completely horrible.

Dec 5, 2011 3:37 PM
Jul 2011
HomuraIsMyWaifu said:
Tenchi_Ryu said:
Araya said:

But we've already seen Ume's good side in episode 9 which is beyond her ice cold wall. And if this is like any other harem, it's only a matter of time before Ume joins.

SkyHigh said:
HomuraIsMyWaifu said:
SkyHigh said:
Tenchi_Ryu said:

So if its your personality to be a bully, then its justified. Great logic. Bullying is bullying no matter how you try to sprinkle icing on top of it. Don't see how Yozora's bullying is any more justifiable than Ume's.

No one's forcing you to watch this. If you think typical harem material is annoying, then don't watch it. Also modelling a character after someone=/= a breach in privacy. It's not like she stalks him at night and writes about him; she writes about what she fantasizes and sees when they're together. As for Shaga, she's just being playful. I think your bias for the Ice Witch is too strong, that you see other girls as completely horrible.

You are taking this way too seriously here, I watch this for comedy, you have no right to even assume I dislike this show, I like it, I really do, just because I dislike other characters due to personal experiences with similar people in reality doesn't mean I hate this.

Ugh, no bias is in this, come on even faceless extra's belittle Satou for no reason, Shaga I can forgive, Ume I can't and I find Oshiroi strange, sorry if this offends you, but quite frankly I don't care anymore, I've stated my point.

You are compeletely Nitpicking, I've never sprinkled Icing on anything, I was stating a fact about Yozora not only that, I can like her without liking Ume, I was just stating the small differences, Yozora besides her air friends is actually the depictation of a lot of high school girls, you know bitchy, prone to anger, hormonal all that crap but that's puberty. I never justify bullying, all I was stating was Yozora bullies because it's part of herself instead of malicious jealousy, finally though, Yozora doesn't sink to physical pain, and whilst mental wounds can be caused, Yozora has apologised when she goes too far, try to contradict me, or read the novels first. Btw before you start even combating me with a bullying argument, you should remember you support a bully character... Ume :)

Now I'm not sure what time zone you're in but I'm in GMT so I'm off to bed, I may reply once again tomorrow depending on if I feel like its worthwhile, goodnight everyone

Dec 5, 2011 6:34 PM

Nov 2009
I have a pretty simple answer for you.

It's because yuri is the greatest thing ever made.
Dec 5, 2011 11:41 PM

Mar 2008
>Yozora is a morally correct bully because its her personality but Ume is wrong because she's just jealous. I'm not saying Yozora is justified to bully, just that because it's her personality and its not jealousy, I think its okay! Oh and look! She even apologizes after she makes people cry!

But you're attempting to justify Yozora's bullying yet again. Now you're saying Yozora is justified to bullying because its only mental wounds, she's a bitch because its puberty, and she apologizes after causing the damage. Bullying is still bullying regardless its physical abuse or mental abuse. and while apologizing is the proper thing to do, it's not like that automatically makes someone not a bully. and as for this whole argument, I don't support a bullying character because I don't feel what Ume or Yozora is doing as bullying at all. You, however, seem to believe one character is justified to bully others and another isn't just because of your preferences. And don't even try and claim you're not trying to justify Yozora's bullying. It's quite apparent in your post.

>All girls in puberty are bitches.
Look at yourself. Nice generalization bro. You call Ume a sexist, yet that comment was probably more sexist than anything she has ever done.

>You have no right to assume I dislike this show!
and who gave you the right to take away my right to make assumptions based on what you said? The fact that you said "it's typical harem material, and it's annoying." made me think you seemed to dislike the show. Maybe you should clarify your statements next time to make sure you're not misunderstood.

>I can like Yozora without liking Ume
Go ahead. Look at all the fucks I give. Just don't try and say one is justified to bully others and one isn't just because you don't like the reason for the physical/mental abuse.

Dec 5, 2011 11:55 PM
Jul 2011
HomuraIsMyWaifu said:
>Yozora is a morally correct bully because its her personality but Ume is wrong because she's just jealous. I'm not saying Yozora is justified to bully, just that because it's her personality and its not jealousy, I think its okay! Oh and look! She even apologizes after she makes people cry!

But you're attempting to justify Yozora's bullying yet again. Now you're saying Yozora is justified to bullying because its only mental wounds, she's a bitch because its puberty, and she apologizes after causing the damage. Bullying is still bullying regardless its physical abuse or mental abuse. and while apologizing is the proper thing to do, it's not like that automatically makes someone not a bully. and as for this whole argument, I don't support a bullying character because I don't feel what Ume or Yozora is doing as bullying at all. You, however, seem to believe one character is justified to bully others and another isn't just because of your preferences. And don't even try and claim you're not trying to justify Yozora's bullying. It's quite apparent in your post.

>All girls in puberty are bitches.
Look at yourself. Nice generalization bro. You call Ume a sexist, yet that comment was probably more sexist than anything she has ever done.

>You have no right to assume I dislike this show!
and who gave you the right to take away my right to make assumptions based on what you said? The fact that you said "it's typical harem material, and it's annoying." made me think you seemed to dislike the show. Maybe you should clarify your statements next time to make sure you're not misunderstood.

>I can like Yozora without liking Ume
Go ahead. Look at all the fucks I give. Just don't try and say one is justified to bully others and one isn't just because you don't like the reason for the physical/mental abuse.

Ok first of all, stop adding your interpretation to my comments, it makes it seem worse than it sounds. I'm not particularly justifying bullying, it's hard to explain the difference, I just take offense to indiscriminate bullying less than solely focused rage due to factors unknown but probably due to jealousy.

Yup nice generalization, but everyone is horrible during puberty, most of us don't know it until we're out of it lol, no I'm a guy not a girl, but it's for both genders, maybe I should have specified that, stop taking offense to a lot of things to easily.

Ahem, Annoying as in UME'S ACTIONS, Typical Harem Show doesn't mean bad it's just nothing super special.

Ugh, we're off subject wayy to much now when we go on about Yozora, I originally stated why I like Yozora and this now turns into a Yozora =/= Ume meaning if you dlslike one you MUST dislike the other. Yozora's bullying stops at a certain extent, which makes her seem more human, compared to the CAN I HIT YOU Ume. Now I'm off to Uni, I'll respond to the hate I receive back when I get home, have a nice day :)

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ben-To Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Oct 15, 2011

135 by StarRush »»
Apr 21, 6:49 PM

Poll: » Ben-To Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Yumekichi11 - Oct 10, 2011

112 by StarRush »»
Apr 21, 6:04 PM

Poll: » Ben-To Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Oct 22, 2011

126 by Stuntdrath »»
Jan 27, 6:57 PM

» This bitch right here Ume Shiraume

Zerity - Aug 24, 2017

34 by Imperfection98 »»
Jan 5, 3:32 PM

Poll: » Ben-To Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Dec 24, 2011

199 by fathandz »»
Oct 29, 2023 9:09 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.