Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 27, 2011 4:14 AM

Mar 2010

MEMBERS, WE NEED YOUR HELP! :)
-> Let us know which nominees below you agree should be part of the club (or not); if not please state which rule they break

=====================================================

To add a nominee, link their MAL page - that's it, that simple :)

8 GOLDEN RULES
  1. Must NOT... be a damsel in distress
  2. Must NOT... be too naive (especially for her age)
  3. Must NOT... think cooking is the only point of her existence
  4. Must NOT... fall in love with a guy just because he can protect her
  5. Must NOT... turn helpless and gooey if the guy simply talks to her
  6. Must NOT... feel angsty about her outer appearance _all_the_time_
  7. Must NOT... cry/overreact for the smallest things
  8. Must NOT... get kidnapped/abused/used easily

Note 1_ Character must be the lead
Note 2_ Shoujo or josei tags only (romance is not enough)
Note 3_ Characters who turn into a cliché later on = refused
Note 4_ And I will not add a character just because they cross-dress, they're outgoing, violent, and/or tsunderes!
Note 5_ The story must revolve around the romantic aspect of the lead and his/her love interest

=====================================================

Number in () = # of votes.
Last update: post #193

NOMINEES

Refused List

-BlackRabbit-Oct 3, 2015 2:57 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 27, 2011 4:16 AM

Mar 2010
I nominate Kurosaki, Mafuyu from Oresama Teacher.
Jan 15, 2012 10:21 AM

Mar 2010
Ryoukoi said:

I recommend mogami kyouko from skip beat!

long life for non retarded female characters!
Jan 15, 2012 10:50 AM

Mar 2010
Suh, Hyun-Bin "Ha Yae-Rim"

Maora said:

Does a series that is not Japanese counts? :B For this Korean (shoujo) manga, Love in the Mask, the lead girl , who was raised as a boy, is a bodyguard and later a gangster. Though some guys fall for her easily, she can manage to defeat people around her on her own, not needed help from any guy.
Jan 15, 2012 10:52 AM

Mar 2010
Aso, Kira

-BlackRabbit- said:

Oh can I recommend Mars? Kira might be shy but she's far from "naive", "damsel in distress", "helpless" or any other such definition.
Jan 15, 2012 11:11 AM

Jun 2008
-BlackRabbit- said:
Kurosaki, Mafuyu (0)
Mogami, Kyouko (0)

I agree that those should be added; Mafuyu is one of the (mainly physically) strongest characters in the whole manga, she rarely cries (maybe... once? If at all) and she can take care of herself well instead of needing a guy to save her.
Kyouko went through quite a bit of character development and is independent and confident in herself. She's nowhere near a "damsel in distress".

I nominate...

Thank you! Your votes have been added!

Edit: Completely forgot about shoujo 'OTL
-BlackRabbit-Feb 22, 2014 8:21 AM
Jan 16, 2012 9:50 PM

Jun 2011
I nominate Kurosaki, Mafuyu , Suh, Hyun-Bin "Ha Yae-Rim",Kyouyama, Anna, Tsumura, Tokiko
and Mogami, Kyouko

Admin: Thanks! ^^ You're the second person to recommend Tokiko & Kyouyama... but unles I'm mistaking, Busou Renkin & Shaman King are not shoujo. So they will not be added.

Your votes have been added for Mafuyu, Hyun-Bin & Kyouko ^^ Arigato!!!
-BlackRabbit-Jan 17, 2012 7:15 AM
Jan 17, 2012 8:32 AM

Mar 2010
Ok! So I finally got around to some recs :D

Manga
Cat Street Nominated
Flower of Evil Nominated
Hana no Namae Nominated
Hana Yori Dango Nominated
Kimi wa Pet Added
Midnight Secretary Added
Shiawase Kissa Sanshoume Nominated
Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan Nominated

Character
Aoyama, Keito Nominated
Eun, See-Wah Nominated
Yamaguchi, Kumiko <- Won't nominate de manga since it doesn't focus on the shoujo aspect Added
Mizushima, Chouko Nominated
Makino, Tsukushi Nominated
Iwaya, Sumire Added
Satozuka, Kaya Added
Todd, Miriam <- again, manga doesn't really focus on the shoujo so I won't suggest it Added
Takamura, Uru Nominated
Mutou, Juri "Sylvia" Nominated
-BlackRabbit-Jan 17, 2012 8:47 PM
Jan 17, 2012 11:26 PM

Jan 2011
Kurosaki, Mafuyu is a must. *hands down*

She uses masculine speech (at the start as a joke, but it still counts~), cross dresses as Natsuo, stands up whenever she gets beaten up (which is rare, btw), has a large group of delinquents as followers (who she considers "brothers" - or something along the line), is idolized by other delinquents and most importantly, kicks asses. She isn't also the type to hold back, I reckon. <3

And for all the reasons above, and many others, including badass male characters, I also nominate Oresama Teacher.

^ Thank you for that lengthy explaination :) You're absolutely right, I'll just add her to the character relations

For the others, I don't have the confidence to vouch for/deny them, as either I don't know them or while I don't think they're worth it/I have doubt about their ability (Love in the Mask is a case in point), I can't say for sure.

About that, if you think a manga/Character should not be added, you should vote it down :) It's ok to do so ;D
I haven't read Love in the Mask so I don't know but feel free to let your opinion be heard

Say, does the manga have to be shoujo? I'm quite confused... <- Yes, the manga HAS to be Shoujo although I would accept Josei as well.
Other characters I'd like to nominate:

1. Kanoko Naedoko

Her profile speaks the truth, honestly. She isn't physically strong like Mafuyu, but she uses her own observation power to fight bullies (without any help from the male characters, obviously). She takes great pleasure in observation cliches in school life, so you can see she's quite a bit whimsical and nasty (in a good way).

Other characters in the manga Kanoko on are quite interesting and unlikely to give readers the "irritated" feeling, so it'd be a sin if I didn't nominate Koi Dano Ai Dano and Warau Kanoko-sama as well.

^ All 3 will be added tonight when I get home. With that explaination as well as the character description, I don't feel they need to be put up for voting.

2. Hin-Dan Mon

Mmm... this is quite tough, actually, because I read about her a long time ago, and anything I remember is likely to be spoilers. Anyhow, Prince or not, to her he's still a human, and when a human doesn't play nice, prepare to be spited. She also gets bullied, and while not physically strong, fights back against the villains' surprise and embarrassment. ;D I guess she can act a bit haughtily sometimes, but she still knows how to behave like a real adult. Her definition of love is freaking anti-stereotyped (you'll have to read to know, I'm afraid, since this is where she totally left a strong impression on me).

^ Nominated, will also add the manga to the nominees

3. Matsuri Hanyuu

For starters, she can kick asses. While she does hold back sometimes but when it's her life or others' on the line, and in imperative situations, you can trust that she won't let anyone pin her down. Other things I can say about her are that she can be selfish, but she grows and learns to act for others and that she doesn't cry for no reason.
[Note: the manga is listed as shounen, but there are romantic relationships.]

^ Hmm... technically it's not a shoujo/josei. I think the relationship should take a great deal of the story to be added. I'll have to read it to decide but that might take a while; gomen!

4. Hikari Hanazono

As far as I'm concerned, as well as her amazing capabilities thanks to hard work, she has the will of eternal, blazing fire. XD She refuses to give up, so no matter how many times she loses (which is a lot, lol), she will get up with great vigor.

In Special A, Megumi Yamamoto, Finn Koupe Shuzette, and others are also quite great in their own way, so I recommend this manga, too. <3

^ Nominated ^

5. Nako Yoshino

She doesn't possess the coolness level of Mafuyu or Kanoko, and while she's described to be optimistic, she doesn't go all whiny and is still far from the stereotype.

^ Nominated ^

6. Sheila

She can blow up a whole village, and is the cause of fear among humans, which leads to the hero's adventure. That alone is already awesome, I reckon. Sheila, as the Demon Queen feared by even her own race, is also notorious for her "simple" way of thinking and handling problems (at the beginning). She does grow as the story progresses, but that doesn't stop her from being awesome.
[Note: while it's categorized as "shounen", this manga does have romantic relationship, too.]

As other characters in the same manga as her are also nice, Superior and Superior Cross are also fun to read (and guarantee to keep you away from annoying stereotyped girls, probably). ;3

^ Hmm... technically it's not a shoujo/josei. I think the relationship should take a great deal of the story to be added. I'll have to read it to decide but that might take a while; gomen!

7. Tsukasa Kozuki

She cross dresses as a guy and fights even better than yakuza. She has a strong sense of justice and gets crazy sometimes, but it's definitely not the type of irrationality of meek, mushy girls. She isn't easily beaten down, but when she is, she stands up quickly (aside from the last few chapters, I think, but it's excusable.)

^ Nominated ^

Also, I'd like to nominate Asago Sumon as well. While she's not listed as a main character, she's from a yakuza family, so well... she does know how to fight and behave properly.

^ She'd have to be VERY present since this club is about girl leads and not their best friends or smtg... guess I'll have to read it too :3 ^

Tokyo Crazy Paradise, therefore, deserves a nomination, don't you think?

^ Nominated ^

8. Kumiko Yamaguchi

Another character from a yakuza family. Obviously, her martial arts skill is way above any high school boy. As a teacher, it's guaranteed that she knows how to handle a situation properly. ;3
[Note: it's listed as "Josei" and "Romance", so I'm not sure if it's acceptable, but well...]

^ Ah! Yes I debated on Yamaguchi as well :D But here's what I figured, it is listed as Josei/Romance but the romance is barely part of the story. Theerefore, I added Yamaguchi but not the manga :)

9. Iku Kasahara

She hides the fact that she joins the Defense Force from her parents, and becomes the first female to be in the Task Force. She outruns men, and physically speaking, she's said to be the best in the girls and better than many men. She has a strong sense of justice, and refuses to give up. She does cry, but well... it's still in the acceptable level.

^ She seems a little meek to me xD I nominated her, we'll see what the other members think :)

Asako Shibasaki is a friend/roommate of Iku, and she's more of a terrifying character with her intelligence gathering power. XD

^ Hmm secondary character... not adding. I will nominate the 2 manga though :)

I'll add more as I have time. I apologize for the wall of text. x___X I'd hate if I couldn't point out any reason for my nomination, though.

Heheh, that's ok, I like your input :3 It took me a while to go through it all but I'm glad you're getting involved in the club ^o^/*
Please visit often and vote on our nominees oh and of course, nominate to your heart's content! :D

-BlackRabbit-Jan 18, 2012 5:02 PM
Jan 19, 2012 2:54 PM

Mar 2010
Guys, Mogami Kyouko already has 2 votes... should we add Skip Beat as well?
Jan 20, 2012 1:50 PM

Jan 2011
Okay. :3 No worries. But if only shoujo/josei are allowed, I think it should be put up in the first post, too, so as not to cause confusion? :3 Also, what about those with Romance tags?

You're right, I should clear this up. I'll edit the first post, ty ^^

I haven't read Skip Beat yet (it's been on my bookmark list like forever, lol; I suppose the sight of harem makes me cringe and feel reluctant to read the manga), so it's hard for me to say. But then if the manga has two or more strong female characters, I feel that it should be added. ;3

Hmm, yeah I guess... the thing is, it's important that the Lead Girl doesn't turn into a stereotype later into the story. So I really need someone who read it.

I'm so sorry for the wall of text. >__< I'll make sure to condense my explanations.

You're giving me so much work! xD (it's a good thing! But yeah, keeping it short is good too :3)

So here we go...

10. Asahi Kouga

If I have to make a mentaphor, Asahi Kouga is somewhat like Tsukasa Kozuki. She can fight, and she also works as a bodyguard. She's straightforward, refuses to give up easily and I don't remember seeing her cry (at least for long) in the manga.

There's also another bodyguard girl who is her rival (so you can see that she's pretty awesome as well) appearing later in the manga. Therefore, I'd like to nominate Grand Sun as well.

Character and manga Nominated

11. Ito Miura

Her profile covers pretty much I'd like to say, really. I'm not sure if she did do any butt kicking in the manga, but I do remember she did some pretty amazing stuff, even going so far as to help the male lead from a critical situation.

Character Nominated although her description mentions :
"Throughout the series, Ito starts to become more feminine, because she wants to be the perfect girl for Makoto, at first unconsciously then with more intent."
It doesn't mean she turns into a hopeless gal but I will nominate her and see what others, who read it, have to say :)

[Note: Having read Grand Sun, W-Juliet, Gokuraku Doumei and Michibata no Tenshi, I notice Emura's works tend to have strong-willed female characters. ;) Though I'm tempted to nominate the other two as well, these so far haven't given me as much satisfaction as the others, and I kinda want to save my votes for the best of the best that I can think of.]

I like that approach :)

12. Ran Kurono

To begin with, she can fight, aside from the fact that she has the "nerve" to fool the other knights and dresses up as a boy. As her profile shows, she's calm and composed. And even when she's confessed to, that doesn't stop her from fulfilling her duty magnificently.

I also consider nominating Hana no Kishi, as aside from Ran, there's Sei Ohtori, but something is bugging me. Well, feel free to put it up for nomination if you think so, though. ;]

Yes Ran is already into the Relations of the Club although I wouldn't say she is calm and composed... if it wasn't for Sei, I'm pretty sure she'd loose her temper often xD Hana no Kishi is also in the relations. As per Sei Ohtori, sh'e not the lead chacter and while she is present quite a bit, her character is not sufficiently developped.

13. Aoyagi from Hybrid Berry (there's no profile for any character, so... I'll try and see if I can get at least two for the main characters up.)

So um, unfortunately, she doesn't fight (this is a sports manga, after all. XD) However, later on she cross dresses to join the baseball team, at first only to get close to the boy she likes (but they always argue whenever they see each other.) However, she does have a talent for baseball, and helps out the team a lot eventually.

Not sure but we'll see what others think! Nominated

14. Hinata Saotome

Mmm... if I have to sum up her characteristics, she's probably the strong-willed, enthusiastic type, who always think of others and try their best in whatever they do.

Other girls in Usotsuki Lily are quite interesting (and occasionally as wacky), too, so that's why I also nominate the manga.

Oh that looks interesting, I'll add to my Plan to read :) Nominated

[Note: Ayumi Komura also has another work called Mixed Vegetables which I reckon is pretty good with decent characters. I must say Hanayu didn't leave as strong an impression on me as the other two girls, though.]

15. Hime Kino

Hime is the headstrong, cheerful, caring, idiotic kind of character. Her high goal makes her the type that refuses to say no easily and will slap herself to stand up and keep on moving.

Other girls in the manga are quite amusing, too, so I'd like to put [url=http://myanimelist.net/manga/14633/Seiyuu_Ka—!]Seiyuu Ka—![/url] up for nomination as well.

Character and manga Nominated

16. Chiemi Yusa

The Tsundere type - I can't count how many times poor Hirata had to grin and bear with her punches and kicks. She's strong willed, honest, idiotic and caring about her friends (perhaps a little too caring). She got on my nerves, but even so, she's definitely not the stereotyped, and I expect her to grow as the story progresses.

nothing against Tsundere but the question is, what's her behavior towards the "love" aspect of the story? If she becomes a slave to her emotions, I don't think she should qualify... basically, how does her character develop?

About Toshokan Sensou... (Iku is indeed a little meek; but that aside, she's brave and strong, so that's why I still nominate her.) the two manga for it are Toshokan Sensou: Love and War and Toshokan Sensou: Spitfire!. ^^" The later is listed as Shounen, though.

Spitfire and Toshokan Sensou I won't add as they're not Shoujo nor Josei, the Love and War has been nominated, people will vote on it :)
-BlackRabbit-Jan 21, 2012 10:04 AM
Jan 21, 2012 9:00 AM

Jun 2008
I can only agree on "Hanazono, Hikari" and "Ito Miura" since Special A and W Juliet are the only among those manga I've read ><
Hikari is the hard-working and ambitious type - even going as far as not wanting to lose to the guy who ranks first in each subject (<- and surpassing him in P.E. would be even harder considering she's female XD). I think she did wrestling, too... And well, Ito is the tomboyish kind (especially at the start) and of course strong-willed~

Thank you! Your votes are in! :)

More nominations:
-BlackRabbit-Jan 21, 2012 10:16 AM
Jan 21, 2012 9:43 AM

Dec 2011
I also agree with Hanazono, Hikari "Miss Rank Two" :) In the anime she's strong and hardworking, and doesn't give up even though Kai always beats her XD. She's also a really big tomboy.

Vote counted!

I also nominate Misaki Ayuzawa, she's really strong and stands up for all the girls at her school. She can fight and scare the boys in her school. I think if she's nominated the anime should go as well on the list. Kaichou wa Maid-sama

Alright then, I'm nominating! :)

More nominations:
Characters
-Kyouko Mogami Vote counted!

Anime
-Saiunkoku Monogatari No shoujo/josei tag :(
-BlackRabbit-Jan 21, 2012 10:26 AM
Jan 21, 2012 2:18 PM

Jun 2008
Face_Faith said:
  • Ayuzawa, Misaki Oh yeah! Hmm doesn't she turn into a cliche later on though? :)

Hmm, I haven't read the last few chapters (only up to # 57) because I always forget what the previous one was about as soon as there's a new release XD So maybe she's different now...

I dropped that manga as well but someone else nominated her so I've added it to the list... we'll see :)

More nominations:
-BlackRabbit-Jan 21, 2012 2:38 PM
Jan 21, 2012 4:28 PM
Jul 2018
I vote for Keito Aoyama

I also nominate Yukino Miyazawa from Kare Kano

^ Nominated ^
-BlackRabbit-Jan 23, 2012 5:47 AM
Jan 21, 2012 8:08 PM

Jan 2011
Regarding Ito Miura...

Well I nominated her, we'll see from there. Maybe if I have time to read it I'll decide but you guys gave me soooo much reading T.T hehe

Regarding Ran Kurono and Hana no Kishi...

Sei & Rei rawr! :3 Re-suggestion? She's not nominated because she's aready in the character's relation ;D

Regarding Chiemi Yusa...

Also, Usotsuki Lily 0 is just a one shot prequel (more like a bunch of random side stories to me, honestly), so I think you might want to add Usotsuki Lily only to avoid the clutter. ;3

I'll leave it for now and try to read it this week

On a side note, I didn't notice Misaki Ayuzawa was already on the list! I have one of my votes go to her please! I agree with everything rose93 said about her. :D

Vote counted

No new nominee this time so as to avoid flooding you and the list with my request~ XD Jk!I have a few in mind, but I'm lazy.

However, if it's possible to add mangaka, then I think Shigeyoshi Takagi's works (mostly one shot or shot stories) are quite enjoyable, such as Bara to Dangan, Hyakujuu Kingdom (I especially like the one shot Bitter Trap in this manga) and Hana ni Arashi.

I made a thread for it, please post it here
-BlackRabbit-Jan 23, 2012 5:53 AM
Jan 23, 2012 6:53 AM

Mar 2010
Since characters names are harder to remember, I re-organized the thread by manga.

If a character is added, it's manga is also added.
Unless it's a collection of one-shots

-Your devoted Admin :3
-BlackRabbit-Jan 29, 2012 1:55 PM
Jan 23, 2012 1:28 PM

Jun 2008
Nominations:

Kusakabe Maron and Nominated
Yoshino Nako. Vote counted
-BlackRabbit-Jan 23, 2012 5:05 PM
Jan 24, 2012 1:54 AM

Jan 2011
I was talking about my suggesting Ran again without checking the list first. XD

Thank you for your hard work! <3

I reckon I should start reading the ones I haven't too, so at least I can help you a bit with the list. But I have a feeling that any manga with a girl that irritates me even just one bit will get a fail from me right away. x___X"
Jan 24, 2012 5:55 AM

Mar 2010
Ahahah, that's ok! There's a lot going on in this club right now, it's hard to see everything ^^

You're welcome :D

Oh! Please do! hehe, we need lots of votes! And if the girl irritates you, you should vote her down.
The goal is not to have the longest list possible, but the most accurate list ppossible.

- Your devoted Admin :3
Jan 24, 2012 10:57 AM

Jun 2008
I haven't read that many shoujo with strong heroines, so voting for others is difficult x'D

Nomination: Kururugi Uni
She also appears in a story in a one-shot which I added to her manga relations (is being reviewed by mods at the moment, though).

^Nominated and you should read more shoujo! ^^
-BlackRabbit-Jan 26, 2012 5:36 AM
Jan 27, 2012 4:41 AM

Jun 2008
(Or maybe it's because I don't read that much in general... and most of the time, I only start the first few chapters x.x')

More characters~

Kuchiha
Kousaki Kayana
Hanazono Eve
Kaburagi Naka
Armelia

^ Nominated
-BlackRabbit-Jan 27, 2012 5:30 AM
Jan 27, 2012 9:11 AM

Jan 2011
Another vote of mine goes to Kaburagi Naka, please. (And the manga as well, if it's also on the list).

Although my impression about her isn't as strong as in the past, she's the strong-willed type of girls who tries hard for her and others' sake.
The manga is good as it has a good plot and (mentally) strong female characters. I really like Ichigo. <3

^ Vote counted!

My first vote against a character goes to Megumi Juumonji.

Aside from the fact that she was shown in one or two panels to be kicking some boy, I can see nothing else special from her.

^ Ah finally a vote against! Our very first too! :D
I was starting to think you guys were too lenient hehe
Vote counted! :D

17. Sarasa

Her brother was killed, so for others' sake, she dressed up as her brother. Not sure if she could actually fight well, but she could ride on horses to the battlefield, so I'll assume that she does know how. She was determined, and though then torn between love and responsibility, she stopped being annoying and picked herself up.

^ Nominated!
-BlackRabbit-Jan 28, 2012 6:17 AM
Jan 27, 2012 10:41 AM

Jun 2008
Are characters from manhwa okay, too? I added two characters I plan on nominating to the MAL database and one of them is from a manhwa. :O

Yes, Manhwa are accepted :)

My only nomination this time: Yoshioka Futaba

^ Nominated!

I'll try reading some manga of the other nominees now so I can vote XD And I'm running out of characters anyway (except for mentally strong ones, maybe...) ^^;

Please do!!! Otherwise it'll take a looong time for me to go through all these nominations >.<
-BlackRabbit-Jan 28, 2012 6:27 AM
Jan 27, 2012 11:42 AM
Feb 2011
I say no toward Kira from Mars. She has reasons to be as shy as she is, and not to mention gets stronger throughout the series.

^ Hmm... she has reasons to be shy and gets stronger... so is that a yes or a no? I'm confused ^^;
If she has reasons to be shy and gets stronger... I would tend to think she fits the club. More info please! :)
-BlackRabbit-Jan 28, 2012 6:23 AM
Jan 27, 2012 2:27 PM

Jun 2008
Considering those disagreements, does this list only accept those shoujo heroines who are an extreme opposite of those weak ones (maybe like Mafuyu from Oresama Teacher) or only those that aren't particularly weak/stereotyped?

No, not "only extremes". We don't want to end up with just Tsunderes... the key is listed in the club description. I'll make a post about it just to clarify...

Either way, I'm voting for Kouga Asahi. She's not only exceptionally physically strong, but she's also determined and sticks to her opinion, no matter what others say.

^ Vote counted! That's a good reason to vote for a character. Again, it's not only about punching people...
-BlackRabbit-Jan 28, 2012 6:26 AM
Jan 28, 2012 3:18 AM

Jan 2011
@Face_Faith: Love in the Mask is on the nominee list, so I think manhwa and manhua are probably acceptable.

Isn't Kanae "Moko" Kotonami from Skip Beat a supporting character?

Good question... I haven't read it so I need your help and judgement here. The only secondary characters this club accepts is if the girl in question is very present in the story. I would go as far as to say she should have a chapter or about herself as the main character. If she's the lead's best friend and appears often, then she does not qualify.

Now, according to this, do you think Kanae "Moko" Kotonami qualifies for the list?? Let me know please! :)
-BlackRabbit-Jan 28, 2012 6:29 AM
Jan 28, 2012 6:48 AM

Mar 2010

So there seems to be a bit of confusion... here's a clarification.

• Manhwas are accepted
  • Tsunderes are accepted (Wiki: Tsundere is a Japanese character development process that describes a person who is initially cold and even hostile towards another person before gradually showing their warm side over time.)
  • A character will not be accepted solely because they are Tsunderes. If they turn into a stereotype when they "warm up", then they are disqualified.

Also, I would like to remind you guys of the Club Description.
    If the girl is
  1. A damsel in distress
  2. Too naive
  3. Thinks cooking is the only good point of her existence
  4. Falls in love with a guy just because he can protect her
  5. Turns helpless and gooey just because the guy talks to her
  6. Feels angsty about her outer appearance _all_the_time_
  7. Cries for the smallest things
  8. Gets Kidnapped/used/abused easily

then that manga is
disqualified

==========================================

Allow me a few exemples to help you understand...

Hinata Saotome from Usotsuki Lily is disqualified
Why: Mainly she abides by points 4-5-7 and 8 of the previous list. She is strong willed but as far as romance is concerned, she turns into your usual shoujo heroine. Note that while she doesn't "cry" per say all the time, she is often drawn with tears making her seem weak.

Kurebayashi Teru from Dengeki Daisy is accepted
Why : Teru is not a Tsundere, she doesn't fight with people, she rather forgives them easily. But Teru is not your typical Shoujo heroine, she ridicules bullying, fights her own battles, takes people head on, cannot be qualified as "helpless" in any way and while she does get kidnapped easily, she never cries or gives up on people. She has a different approach to many dilemmas and always comes up wih the least expected answer. She also doesn't fit any of the Club's Categories.
And for those reasons, I think she should be the Club's Mascot xD

Another good example is...
Mashiro Ichijo from After School Nightmare is accepted

Also note that W-Juliet just barely made the list.
Why : The lead fits point 2 and 5 but since it's not showned too often and the story revolves around the interaction with other people more than the relationship between the boy and the girl, I allowed it to pass.
However, if someone were to challenge it, I'd listen to what they have to say since she sometimes left me the feeling of a Stereotype. For now, it's added though.

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions, feels free to voice them!

P.S.: Thanks to Edea_Sorceress for suggesting The Prince's Cactus, I had a lot of fun reading it :D <3
Thank you sweetie ^^
-BlackRabbit-Aug 30, 2012 9:04 AM
Jan 28, 2012 7:59 AM

Jun 2008
So as long as these eight aspects don't apply to her, it's okay :O (+ being very present in the story)

Edea_Sorceress said:
Isn't Kanae "Moko" Kotonami from Skip Beat a supporting character?

Good question... I haven't read it so I need your help and judgement here. The only secondary characters this club accepts is if the girl in question is very present in the story. I would go as far as to say she should have a chapter or about herself as the main character. If she's the lead's best friend and appears often, then she does not qualify.

Now, according to this, do you think Kanae "Moko" Kotonami qualifies for the list?? Let me know please! :)

True, it says so in the MAL database... I always got the feeling she was a main character OTL It's been sometime since I last read/watched it, so I don't remember if there was a chapter/episode only about her ><
In that case, I think Rina probably doesn't fit either. She's among the three main characters and therefore does appear often (and later on
), but she's not the, uh... "main protagonist"...

^ Removed ^^

That reminds me, I even nominated a manhwa myself XD
-BlackRabbit-Jan 28, 2012 2:01 PM
Jan 28, 2012 8:48 AM

Jan 2011
@-BlackRabbit-: You're welcome. :]

Truthfully, I haven't read Skip Beat either. The reason I pointed it out is that when I took a look at the character's profile, she's listed as "supporting". ^^"

But according to your explanation, we might end up with more characters (not that I'm bothered; more good manga for me. <3) What I'm trying to say is... for instance, based on this rule, I'd want to renominate Usotsuki Lily, along with (probably) every girl (aside from Hinata as she's rejected) in this manga, because they seem to follow the descriptions, and I can guarantee they have at least one chapter about themselves as the main characters.
Perhaps the qualifications for supporting characters should be harder?

I vote against Aso, Kira from Mars.

She was shown to talk back to some bullies, but that's all she could do, I think. Suffice to say, she doesn't abide by points 1, 2, 4 (not quite, but wanting the guy to protect her doesn't make much a difference to me), 7 and probably 5 and 6, though these are subtle and occasional.

^ Counted!
-BlackRabbit-Jan 28, 2012 2:04 PM
Jan 28, 2012 11:13 AM

Jun 2008

I would like to vote for these as I completed it just now and didn't notice anything that would be against it, however, it's tagged as seinen, isn't it?

^ Removed!

I'm unsure about her, but maybe we could add Tachibana Mei to the nominees... I don't think any of the eight aspects applies to her o.o

^ Nominated!
-BlackRabbit-Jan 28, 2012 2:07 PM
Jan 28, 2012 1:56 PM

Mar 2010
Face_Faith said:
So as long as these eight aspects don't apply to her, it's okay :O (+ being very present in the story)

Yes! BUT, I do accept more criterias!!!
If there's a "stereotype" of Shoujo Heroines which tiks you off but isn't in this list, feel free to mention it :)

Face_Faith said:
That reminds me, I even nominated a manhwa myself XD

Ahahah! Silly! xD

@Edea_Sorceress
That's a good point you're making.. For instance, all the heroines in one-shots with chapters featuring different protagonists would be added... but then again, it doesn't mean that because one protagonist fits the Club, that all the ones in the one-shot will.

And as per Usotsuki Lily, I only read a few chapters but...
The girl was
4- Falls in love with a guy just because he can protect her <- Remember when guys from the boy's class bullied her in the first chapter? He saved her and she was all red and in love after that...
5- Turns helpless and gooey just because the guy talks to her <- Whenever he's dressed as a boy she goes madly in love and can't stop looking at him... while as a girl she not affected at all.
6- Feels angsty about her outer appearance _all_the_time_ <- She keeps wondering if he's cuter as a girl than she is... she even goes on a diet at some point ^^;

So that won't be re-added unless you have arguments! :3
I'm all ears! xD

Now
Aso, Kira from Mars...

I'm still counting your vote though! Sorry for the lenghty explaination, I got carried away ^^;

Face_Faith said:
I would like to vote for these as I completed it just now and didn't notice anything that would be against it, however, it's tagged as seinen, isn't it?

Oh my you're right it is! D:
I'll remove it ^^

Alright, again, hope that helps :3
I'll count your votes now ^^

-Your devoted Admin :3
-BlackRabbit-Jan 28, 2012 1:59 PM
Jan 28, 2012 2:08 PM

Mar 2010

Thank you guys for your inputs by the way!! I really appreciate it! :)
Jan 28, 2012 4:38 PM

Mar 2010

Sachika Kudou has been added to the character relations but not Animal Jungle since it's a collection of one-shots and the other heroines don't qualify
Jan 28, 2012 5:18 PM

Jan 2011
... Um, sorry, I'm confused. I thought it's a given that we will only add whoever (main characters) fits the criteria? ^^"

Regarding Usotsuki Lily...
Are you talking about Hinata? I was talking about the other girls, though. =O But...
4. Actually, I believe it all started with his appearance. And if we're talking about the time she actually started developing feelings for him, it'd be this (The rescue, if anything, is just to add points, and if this is what you're talking about, then I think she would have beat them up if he hadn't come anyway.)
5. & 6. True, but if someone asks me if those scenes are real or as jokes, I'll choose the latter I can't honestly remember anywhere she was throwing an at least 3 chapter tantrum about her inferiority that actually ticked me off (you would have to point it out for my poor memory, I'm afraid. .___.")

However, my example for the renomination isn't about her, considering she gets off the list from the very start.

Yeah I'd be ready to re-add her and let people vote but I'd vote against for sure. Something about her too generic, it got on my nerves. As per the other girls, they're not the lead characters (unless I'm mistaking)? Again, I didn't read the whole serie :p

Regarding Kira...
1. The damsel in distress is actually about her being bullied. I haven't seen her being taken advantage of, and she did at least talk aback, so that's why I listed 1 instead of 8.
So she talked back to her bullies, therefore she's "a damsel in distress"? I don't follow sorry

2.Not because she thought she was naive, lol. It's rather what she said in that same panel. But I believe that is where she reached my limit (so there was probably some before).
I remember that scene, I too thought it was weak. But in her defence he did just tell her his dad took him to a psychiatrist and he had to wear a strait jacket... it is rather hard to believe but I'll give it to you since this panel annoyed me as well :p

4. I did say that it wasn't etirely true. ("Not quite, but wanting the guy to protect her doesn't make much a difference to me." - I added a link to show my point.) I put it there because it's a "stereotype" of Shoujo girls that doesn't seem on the list to me.
You're right! I remembered her talking to the "bad guys" and standing up for herself but it's true that she hoped to be saved by Rei later on. The outgoing and violent Rei hehe But she wasn't counting on him at first , before they were going out. But then again, there's also this scene ^^; So yeah, I think you're right.... Although... Argh I dunno anymore! I should probably go back to bed. T.T
And which stereotype of Shoujo girl is not on the list? I don't follow... maybe because I just woke-up *yawn* :c

5. (I did say: "These are subtle and occasional.") And okay. I suppose that will depend on "the eye of the beholder". XD But jokes aside, Hinata was pretty much the same, so I thought the girls would need to be at least like Ran (Hana no Kishi).
Well this is a tricky one but no, they don't have to be as hardcore as Ran otherwise we'd end-up with just the tomboys and the totally oblivious to love and it's not quite the point. For exemple, think of Teru from Dengeki Daisy (and if you haven't read it, it should be next on your list, it's she's great! :3) Kira was embarassed when Rei spoke to her at first but Kira is a complicated case since she has a history with men. It is true however, that she fell into that category but I was thinking of scenes like the one when she tells him to mind his own business (linked above). And later on, she doesn't turn all impressed and gooey just because Rei pays her a bit of attention... but it's been a while since I read it, I might be wrong you know.

6 (I did say: " These are subtle and occasional.") & 7. She got teary when she was bullied, she got teary when Rei was mad, if I had to list out, it would probably be easily seen in the first chapters.
"For someone like me" refers to her inaptitude to interract with people, her shyness and general akwardness... not her physical appearance. Browsing the pages though, it's true she's a tear machine :p I forgot that
Sorry if I wrote too much. >__< I feel it'd be absurd of me to put her off the list straight away without anything based on proper reasons, so...
I haven't finished Mars, so I do hope she'll change in the future. But considering that I'm (unofficially) putting the manga in the dropped list, and not everyone can have the patience to wait, I voted against her.

You made very valid arguments and I love that you write so much! You keep busy and interested :3 I'm still not sure what to do about Kira though. I feel you're right in a few aspects but wrong on others and her character develops quite a bit... but it's true it takes a while. So how about we keep her on the list and let people vote? I nominated her so I don't get a vote but I'll count yours as a "NO" and see what other members have to say about it :) It's the only thing I can think of at this point.

P.S.: Sorry, I too wrote too much xD
-BlackRabbit-Jan 29, 2012 4:47 AM
Jan 28, 2012 6:45 PM
Feb 2011
I meant to say voted for her..I think that means the character getting a pass right? OH, and also:

Oki-doki, vote counted! A nominee needs 5 votes to be added to the relations' list though ^^ Please vote for more!! :D
Oh and welcome to the club by the way ^-^
-BlackRabbit-Jan 29, 2012 4:54 AM
Jan 29, 2012 6:24 AM

Jun 2008
-BlackRabbit- said:
Face_Faith said:

Oh my you're right it is! D:
I'll remove it ^^

No way, why did I read it XDDD
Maybe it doesn't apply to this one, but there are some manga which are in a seinen/shounen magazine but are actually directed at female readers. So these get the seinen/shounen tag even though the content clearly says otherwise. It's sad we can't add them then... Dx

Agreed... but please have pity on me ToT I already have so many things to read *sigh*

-BlackRabbit- said:

Sachika Kudou has been added to the character relations but not Animal Jungle since it's a collection of one-shots and the other heroines don't qualify

Okay, then "Genshoku Tsundere Danshi Ikenai Sensei" should be removed as well since there are stories with other heroines which I'm afraid don't have the qualifications for this X'D

Ah! Ah! Excellent, it's been removed :)
This list is slowly becoming clearer and clearer :D
-BlackRabbit-Jan 29, 2012 8:25 AM
Jan 29, 2012 7:49 PM
Feb 2011
Hehe, thank you for the welcome. :3
Jan 30, 2012 9:59 PM

Jan 2011
Could you make a post instead? It's kinda hard for me to read/follow if I keep bumping into my lines every time. x__X"

Well it's up to you if you want. People have different tastes and explanations for their preferences so I don't see why everyone shouldn't have their individual's rights in this (well.. unless they decide to be a jerk and start saying they hate the character because they hate their classmate who likes the character, lol). O_o I'll chew their heads off if anyone tells you that you can't vote against a character because you are an admin. D:<

Anyhow, that's exactly what I've been trying to say, I'm afraid. *sighs* They aren't listed as "main", but I can guarantee all have at least one chapter as main characters, so according to what you said, they should be all eligible for nomination. But if we did allow it, we would end up with a bunch of unnecessary characters (well, in my opinion, anyways). So I suggested raising the conditions for characters who aren't classified as "main".

I don't consider that kind of backtalk with constant tears in fear enough a trait of a strong personality. Any author can have their main girl react a little against the bullies, the ones who don't... well, I wouldn't be bothered to look, really. D:

Actually, she did pique my interest with her little courage when her hand was about to be smashed, but I find it worse that she decides to depend on him later on. It'd be like the type who turn cliched later on, don't you think? Though I must say I don't know if she'll change.
Well, it's the type that changes and wants to be protected.

I read Dengeki Daisy, actually (I want more updates, dang it! D:<), and she IS good. XD It's been some time, but I can't see the resemblance. Anyway, for now, she's on the border, and I'll have to read more, that is, if I can find the time... My time for manga has now been reduced to nearly none. >>

Granted; I didn't read that carefully enough. Sorry. But if she keeps going on and on about her weaknesses in the future, then I'll find it unacceptable, too.

Well, I've only voted against her, and that should only be one vote against a character, not five. So whether to keep her on the list or not isn't up to me, and I wouldn't want her to be removed simply because of one vote, especially one that is from someone who doesn't have the patience to read everything. O_o
Jan 31, 2012 4:40 AM

Mar 2010
Ahahah that's perfectly reasonable to me! ^-^
So Kira, I notminated her (0), You voted against (-1) and OkamaLand voted for her (0).
She's back at the start ^^;

As a side note, I vote against Yoshioka Futaba from Ao Haru Ride. I think she's the archetype of a stereotype and eventhough she wants to change, she finds more and more excuses to accept herself as is. While that's perfectly fine, I don't think she belongs in the club.

EDIT
I would normally remove her from the list but I kind of like her so I'll let others vote on it :3
-BlackRabbit-Feb 3, 2012 5:05 AM
Jan 31, 2012 9:31 AM

Jun 2008
^ Really... ö.ö Hmm... I don't think any of the eight items listed above apply to her... Other than the standard weak heroine, if there's something bothering her, she directly approaches someone about it, too. But if that's only my impression of her, then that's fine, too XD
Feb 1, 2012 7:31 AM

Jun 2008
Here are the nominees which were approved by MAL:

Nonomiya En and
Shi

I won't be adding any more for some time, don't worry XD

No worries ^^ Shi has been added however En's manga doesn't have shoujo or josei tag :p
-BlackRabbit-Feb 3, 2012 7:59 PM
Feb 3, 2012 1:09 AM

Jan 2011
18. Mikoto Kujou

I can't believe I forgot her. She's independent (due to her family background), smart (in fact, when Hikaru has trouble with getting No.1, Kujou has no problems, at all), quite straight forward and perhaps a bit too nonchalant (in a way, quite like Naedoko Kanoko, but her indifference sometimes extends to even normal relationships, I think?). The story hasn't got to where she actually falls in love with the guy, but I trust that the author won't make mistakes.

^ Nominated!
-BlackRabbit-Feb 3, 2012 8:00 PM
Feb 3, 2012 2:23 PM

Nov 2011
Sunako from from Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge.

^ Nominated! Thannks ^^
-BlackRabbit-Feb 3, 2012 8:02 PM
Feb 27, 2012 4:56 PM

Aug 2009
Tachibana Meru from Fly High!
She's really strong. Though she can be dense, from the beginning after deciding to be the student council president, she's COMPLETELY dedicated to the task and sticks to her reason without faltering or doubting herself even slightly.
^ Nominated ^

Koshiba Kiri from Beauty Pop.
She's a very calm and level-headed girl with a strong mentality and rarely ever lets anything phase her.
^ Nominated ^

Machika Balfaltin from Immortal Rain.
She's both physically and mentally strong.
^ Nominated ^

Miyazawa Yukino from Kare Kano.
^ Vote counted ^

Han Taehee from Vanilla Ice.
^ Nominated ^

Kozuki Tsukasa from Tokyo Crazy Paradise.
^ Vote counted ^

Satou Yuka from Sugar Family.
^ Nominated ^

Thank you so much and sorry for the late reply, been pretty busy >.<
-BlackRabbit-Mar 9, 2012 5:40 AM
Mar 10, 2012 6:18 AM

Aug 2011
Woow. You listed every single characteristic I hate in an anime main girl xDDDD Awesomesaucefullyness!!!

RAWR to non-stereotyped shojo heroines!!! RAWR!
-BlackRabbit-Mar 10, 2012 12:20 PM
Mar 10, 2012 7:44 AM

Jun 2008
Face_Faith said:
Shi has been added however En's manga doesn't have shoujo or josei tag :p[/color]

O.O WHAWHAWHAT. Shiritsu is a shoujo manga for sure, I've read all volumes and it was published in Betsucomi ("Bessatsu Shōjo Comic") which definitely makes it a shoujo manga! Not to mention all of Yokoyama Mayumi's manga are shoujo... Even if I click on "Edit Manga Information", I cannot add "shoujo" to the genres... OTL

Users cannot submit genre edits, but you can request them here for manga.

For genre definitions look here: http://myanimelist.net/info.php?go=genre
-BlackRabbit-Mar 10, 2012 11:53 AM
Mar 10, 2012 10:05 AM
Aug 2011
I Vote For :
- Mogami Kyouko <3 , From Skip Beat .
- Kanoko Naedoko <3 , From Koi Dano Ai Dano & Warau Kanoko-Sama .
- Kozuki Tsukasa <3 , Tokyo Crazy Paradise .

I Nominate : Nakaba <3 , From Reimei no Arcana

Your votes have been counted except for Koi Dano Ai Dano, it's already been approved! No need to vote anymore ;)
Reimei no Arcana has been nominated!

Domo Arigato! <3
-BlackRabbit-Mar 10, 2012 12:01 PM
Mar 10, 2012 8:22 PM
Nov 2011
-BlackRabbit- said:
Ryoukoi said:

I recommend mogami kyouko from skip beat!

long life for non retarded female characters!

I third Kyouko

^ She reached 5 votes! Was added to the club's relations~ :D
-BlackRabbit-Mar 17, 2012 6:21 AM
Mar 11, 2012 1:59 AM
Aug 2011
Yuukia-Chii said:
I Vote For :
- Mogami Kyouko <3 , From Skip Beat .
- Kanoko Naedoko <3 , From Koi Dano Ai Dano & Warau Kanoko-Sama .
- Kozuki Tsukasa <3 , Tokyo Crazy Paradise .

I Nominate : Nakaba <3 , From Reimei no Arcana

Your votes have been counted except for Koi Dano Ai Dano, it's already been approved! No need to vote anymore ;)
Reimei no Arcana has been nominated!

Domo Arigato! <3

Then I vote for Nakaba ^^ ..

^ Gomen, can't vote for your own nomination ;)
-BlackRabbit-Mar 17, 2012 6:22 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Cross-dressing

-BlackRabbit- - Jan 22, 2012

5 by nekoolit »»
Jul 25, 2016 9:52 PM

» RECRUITING! [GFX position OPEN]

-BlackRabbit- - Feb 2, 2012

11 by editing »»
Sep 21, 2015 12:40 AM

Sticky: Poll: » Newsletter Sign-up!

-BlackRabbit- - Jan 19, 2012

42 by mymarie »»
Mar 1, 2015 12:07 AM

» School Manga

-BlackRabbit- - Jan 16, 2012

11 by -BlackRabbit- »»
Sep 4, 2014 1:58 PM

» Yakuza/Delinquent

-BlackRabbit- - Jan 22, 2012

8 by -BlackRabbit- »»
Sep 4, 2014 1:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.