Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 6, 2011 2:56 PM

Mar 2011
Anime_Name said:

There's no difference other than the fact that I just find the word Nii-san to be an incredibly annoying word.

Oh well can't help you there and your little racist world. Nii-san is the word and brother is the translation of it. Saying one version is way more annoying is fucking ridiculous. If the original used the word "brother" I can imagine people like you bitching about Engrish. I never said Aaron was the best.

Wow, getting a little defensive there?

Why on earth would I want them to say brother instead? The show was recorded for it's Japanese speaking audience, it doesn't need to be changed. So what if I happen to find watching the series dubbed in English more enjoyable? So what if I'm not fond of some of the Japanese voices? Why is that such a big deal? I never said the dub is superior or that the subs were inferior, only my PERSONAL opinion on the subject. You are more than welcome to disagree with me as I take no issue in people having a different opinion than mine. Opinions aren't facts after all, they can't be right or wrong. However, throwing around names and insults, such as calling someone racist, is entirely uncalled for.
Aug 6, 2011 2:58 PM
Nov 2007
AnoniMus said:
the original is usually better because the speeches (the movement of the mouth) are made for them.

No they aren't. Anime with dialogue recorded prior to animation and animated to sync perfectly with the dialogue is extremely rare and has not happened for a single TV anime. Only anime movies do this, and very few of them at that. Akira and Only Yesterday are the only ones I know of.

Other than those exceptions, the show/movie is animated first and the Japanese voiceactors have to match their mouthflaps just like dub voiceactors do.
Aug 6, 2011 3:09 PM

Sep 2010
Opinions aren't facts but they can be wrong, false, and/or changed on the fly. Don't confuse my questioning of your reason, or lack of, with attacking your ability to express your opinion.

No they aren't. Anime with dialogue recorded prior to animation and animated to sync perfectly with the dialogue is extremely rare and has not happened for a single TV anime. Only anime movies do this, and very few of them at that. Akira and Only Yesterday are the only ones I know of.

Anime dialogue is recorded before animation, this is called pre-lay and is how anime is produced all the time. How articulate mouth movements are drawn depends on the show but the sync of when mouths stop and start moving is determined by the recorded dialogue. English dubs have to work around that timing and fudge it rather often.
Anime_NameAug 6, 2011 3:18 PM

Aug 6, 2011 3:39 PM
Nov 2007
Anime_Name said:

Anime dialogue is recorded before animation, this is called pre-lay and is how anime is produced all the time. How articulate mouth movements are drawn depends on the show but the sync of when mouths stop and start moving is determined by the recorded dialogue. English dubs have to work around that timing and fudge it rather often.

I don't know who told you this - but it's wrong. Aside from the rare exceptions, dialogue is recorded afterwards ("afureko") in the production process of anime. This is actually somewhat of a defining characteristic of the Japanese animation process as it gives animators more visual freedom since they are not tied down to matching dialogue that has already been recorded.

ed: it appears that there have been some pre-recorded TV series. Red Garden, Kurenai, Koi Kaze, and Mononoke.
pressboardshelfAug 6, 2011 3:44 PM
Aug 6, 2011 3:45 PM
May 2011
dgraymanfan said:
both are good

Agreed. But I say more to dub... people need to stop the "subs are always better" shit. It's annoying as hell.

But I think it depends on what you started with. If you watched a show subbed for the first time then you probably won't enjoy dubs as much since you won't really adapt to the different voices you are hearing.

I just started Brotherhood yesterday and I like the dub better than the sub. I'm not a big fan of Kugimiya or Paku since their voices get annoying after watching so many shows with them.

~so basically start with whatever; Ultimately it doesn't matter_ your still getting the same thing outta both...just with different voice actors.

--Don't listen to those fags who say "subs are always better" cause they are wrong.

( I've been watching Baka and Test, and I like the dub way better than the sub )
ban1o.jpg
Aug 6, 2011 3:57 PM

Apr 2010
Jap dub, english dub sucks and sounds girly like most english dubs for anime
Aug 6, 2011 7:41 PM

Oct 2008
Who wouldn't even consider being open enough to watch Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood after watching this?

FUCK YEAH!!!
Aug 6, 2011 8:00 PM

Sep 2010
pressboardshelf said:
Anime_Name said:

I don't know who told you this - but it's wrong. Aside from the rare exceptions, dialogue is recorded afterwards ("afureko") in the production process of anime. This is actually somewhat of a defining characteristic of the Japanese animation process as it gives animators more visual freedom since they are not tied down to matching dialogue that has already been recorded.

ed: it appears that there have been some pre-recorded TV series. Red Garden, Kurenai, Koi Kaze, and Mononoke.

I don't know who told you that but I see Japanese bonus material all the time with actors doing round-table recording sessions and noting that the recorded dialogue, when complete, gets sent to animation.

Aug 6, 2011 8:40 PM
Nov 2008
Anime_Name said:

Oh the liberties that translating competence brings like changing Osaka to Canada. Check out the madskillz of Funimation. But it is not a matter of translation competence since the people translating what is actually said are not the ones creating the dub script. The ones making the dub script only care about localizing what is too Japanese in the translation or too unfun for the actors to say. This is why Funimation dub scripts will always be more inaccurate than a translation.

Oh, I own plenty of FUNi releases, I'm well aware of what they sometimes used to do to their vocalised scripts (the last most major changes made would be to the old Dragon Ball (Z) dub, the most recent extremely-minor-fans-complained-for-no-reason-because-they-think-they're-always-correct change would be Hetalia). You're doing a good job of over-dramatising the whole process though, as well as how often it has happened.

You're also doing a good job of making the original translation and the vocalised script look to be completely separated from each other, which research would show you not to be not true. Hell, even behind-the-scenes footage included on a lot of releases would show this to not be true, so you don't even have to go far to find answers.

FYI, unless the production is a major production (i.e. Ghibli or another major film), most of the animation is usually completed prior to dialogue recording (not the best source, but it's better than nothing). Flaps are usually then tweaked after the dialogue is completed, in order to sync with the dialogue and the such.

Your arguments are so full of inaccuracies, one has to wonder where you get your information.
Aug 6, 2011 9:06 PM

Sep 2010
Oh, I own plenty of FUNi releases, I'm well aware of what they sometimes used to do to their vocalised scripts (the last most major changes made would be to the old Dragon Ball (Z) dub, the most recent extremely-minor-fans-complained-for-no-reason-because-they-think-they're-always-correct change would be Hetalia). You're doing a good job of over-dramatising the whole process though, as well as how often it has happened

I just said that their dub scripts would be less accurate than fansubs and that it happens often enough to be expected in a Funimation release. My dramatization was to make light of how much of an apologist you are whenever anything slightly negative, even when it's observably true, about Funimation surfaces.

You're also doing a good job of making the original translation and the vocalised script look to be completely separated from each other, which research would show you not to be not true.

I never said or implied the two scripts were completely different only that Funimation dub scripts will take more liberties then a fansub would. Good job on showing how well your twist words around.

FYI, unless the production is a major production (i.e. Ghibli or another major film), most of the animation is usually completed prior to dialogue recording (not the best source, but it's better than nothing). Flaps are usually then tweaked after the dialogue is completed, in order to sync with the dialogue and the such.

Blah blah. Just more smoke getting blown out of your ass but hey you know everything. Whose dialogue are the mouthflaps drawn to match? Japanese or English? Well I say Japanese and the sync is better without needing to play a game of red light green light in order tofiteverythingtheywanttosayin.

Every time you intertwine my points with yours, I feel dirty that my posts have to associate with yours. So I will be just responding to you derogatorily from now on in order to save my actual points from being direct responses to you.

Aug 6, 2011 10:16 PM
Nov 2007
I feel like this fits in here:
"When you watch the subtitled version you are probably missing just as many things. There is a layer and a nuance you're not going to get. Film crosses so many borders these days. Of course it is going to be distorted."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2005/sep/14/japan.awardsandprizes
I think Hayao Miyazaki knows a thing or two about anime.. I'd trust his views!

Anyways,

I never said or implied the two scripts were completely different only that Funimation dub scripts will take more liberties then a fansub would. Good job on showing how well your twist words around.

There is no problem taking liberties on a base script that is professionally translated by... professionals who are fluent in Japanese. Which is a given — you are not going to get hired as a translator at a big company like Funimation if all you've taken is a basic Japanese course at your community college. (<- although this is the average level of Japanese knowledge that modern fansubbers have, lol)

So long as the mood, tone, and general meaning are conveyed correctly — there is no problem with even extreme liberties. English and Japanese are very different languages so extreme liberties are preferred, even. Most modern fansubs are so concerned with sticking to the Japanese down to every minute, unimportant detail which makes for borderline incomprehensible English. Try reading a modern fansub script aloud — it's laughable.

Regardless, most fansubs these days can't get the first step right, which is translating the Japanese correctly. They have no room to even take a single liberty.

Also, I did use "modern fansubs", "fansubbers these days", etc. quite a bit. To clarify: I'm not one of those losers who view the early digital fansub era as the greatest thing ever. The video quality was nigh unwatchable, the audio quality was shit, hardsubs are stupid, etc. But the translations were simply better. Why? Because back then subbers weren't infected with the "even-though-we-are-amateur-translators-lets-release-as-close-to-airing-as-possible-no-matter-how-wrong-our-subs-are" mentality. It's just common sense. Also by modern I mean pretty much every group 2008-present with very few exceptions.
Aug 7, 2011 2:52 AM

Sep 2010
I think Hayao Miyazaki knows a thing or two about anime.. I'd trust his views!

I'd be a little more careful with trusting someone just because one of their opinions coincides with the one of yours. He is also fed up with people reading manga on trains, using cell phones to text, and feels it's disgusting to use an iPad because of the "strange masturbation-like gestures" it needs. So I am going to be ignoring his views because none of them coincide with mine. I pick the distortion of subs over the distortion of dubbing for all my foreign films/shows.

So long as the mood, tone, and general meaning are conveyed correctly — there is no problem with even extreme liberties. English and Japanese are very different languages so extreme liberties are preferred, even.

Let's not make up a concensus where there is none. There are people that prefer liberal translations and there are people that prefer literal translations.

Try reading a modern fansub script aloud — it's laughable.

I have a handful of DCTP srts and the dialogue reads just fine. Could some things be worded better? Yeah, but I rather have a grammatically correct translation of what is being said instead of a translator pretending to be a writer/editor and changing things for the better.
Before you post popped I was going over fansubs and Funimation subtitles for FMA:Brotherhood episode 1. The biggest differences were spellings of names. Elicia was spelled Elysia(fansubs) and Kimblee was spelled Kimbly(Funimation). Another difference was the fansubs calling the Freezing Alchemist, the Ice Alchemist. All versions had similar punctuation and translation. So where exactly is this "incomprehensible English" you are waving around at?

Regardless, most fansubs these days can't get the first step right, which is translating the Japanese correctly. They have no room to even take a single liberty

Then I'd have to question your interpretation of 'most' and point out that the ones taking liberty with the translated scripts are not the ones that translated it. So for all accounts it is someone unfamiliar with Japanese just shoehorning Texan flavor into a script as they see fit in order to punch it up. So kindly take your baseless exaggerations and shove them back in the soapbox where you found them.
Anime_NameAug 7, 2011 2:55 AM

Aug 8, 2011 1:50 AM
Nov 2008
Anime_Name said:

I just said that their dub scripts would be less accurate than fansubs and that it happens often enough to be expected in a Funimation release. My dramatization was to make light of how much of an apologist you are whenever anything slightly negative, even when it's observably true, about Funimation surfaces.

Leaving in a Japanese word or two doesn't make a translation more accurate than the other, and replacing something that's not relevant to the story and won't effect it any less accurate.

An apologist? Why, that's only because FUNimation is a pretty good company when compared to localisations performed by other companies, like Sentai Filmworks/ADV, TokyoPop and Bandai Entertainment. It gets a lot of undeserved hate just because it's the frontrunner.

Twisting words? Does 'making it look like' not mean anything to you?

Whose dialogue are the mouthflaps drawn to match? Japanese or English? Well I say Japanese and the sync is better without needing to play a game of red light green light in order tofiteverythingtheywanttosayin.

Hey, no one was talking about localisations nor languages there. We were talking about the process for which anime is created in Japan. In most cases, the majority of the animation is developed prior to any and all dialogue recording. Face it, you messed up.

Every time you intertwine my points with yours, I feel dirty that my posts have to associate with yours. So I will be just responding to you derogatorily from now on in order to save my actual points from being direct responses to you.

That's nice. Whatever makes you feel better about yourself, bro.
Aug 8, 2011 1:03 PM

Oct 2009
pressboardshelf said:
AnoniMus said:
the original is usually better because the speeches (the movement of the mouth) are made for them.

Other than those exceptions, the show/movie is animated first and the Japanese voiceactors have to match their mouthflaps just like dub voiceactors do.

Yeah I know, I saw a video how they make One Piece, they show the anime while they are in a room saying their speeches.
However the dialogue is made beforehand so they know more or less what to do and then the voice actors talk accordingly, but the dialogue is made for Japanese language and not English.
There is an interview to the Portuguese dubbers of DBZ and they say that some of the jokes they made in the dialogue was because the character in the anime was still moving its mouth when the Portuguese VA already ended the sentence. Of course they were kind of amateurs and had less information, but still it's a problem.
Aug 9, 2011 3:49 AM

Sep 2010
That's nice. Whatever makes you feel better about yourself, bro.

Saves time.
lolz changing irrelevant(subjective shuffling) to differ from the translation is a-ok and is just as accurate(the point) as a real translation. Looks like shitty conflicting nonsense.
Funimation has always been a crap dubber just a tier ahead of 4kids. Pioneer/Geneon leaving the market only gave Funi market-share, it didn't improve their quality.
Anime_NameAug 9, 2011 3:54 AM

Aug 9, 2011 2:02 PM

Mar 2008
The dub is definitely better, so happy I never switched to the subs.

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection
Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan
Aug 9, 2011 3:26 PM

Sep 2010
Toddler_Naruto said:
The dub is definitely better, so happy I never switched to the subs.

Better is comparative. So never switching to the subs means you are not comparing.

Aug 10, 2011 1:20 AM

Dec 2008
I watched the first series of Fullmetal Alchemist dubbed, so I just automatically kept going into Brotherhood doing the same thing.

Though I have watched a couple of episodes subbed as well. I like them both, could watch the show either way.

Or, you know, you could watch it subbed and then watch it dubbed afterward every episode. That's what I did for the very first episode of the first series to help make up my mind. And I decided I heard Vic Mignogna more often as Edward on TV and such before I seriously dedicated the time to watch the series, so I decided to watch it dubbed in the end.

There are some characters I like to hear in Japanese over their dub counterparts sometimes, but really, it's a tough call, I think you're good with either one.

But yeah, if you watched the first series dubbed, I don't see why you'd wanna switch up, unless you are in the mood for subtitles and hearing Japanese rather than English. *shrug* I've done that before too, no biggie.
Aug 10, 2011 3:59 AM
Nov 2008
Anime_Name said:

Funimation has always been a crap dubber just a tier ahead of 4kids. Pioneer/Geneon leaving the market only gave Funi market-share, it didn't improve their quality.

Nice job presenting opinion as fact.
Aug 11, 2011 12:58 AM

Sep 2010
Onibokusu said:
Anime_Name said:

Nice job presenting opinion as fact.

Huh no.

Jan 21, 2012 10:37 AM
Jul 2008
The dub has been decent so far. I can't really complain.
Jan 22, 2012 11:34 AM

Dec 2009
I am going to watch the dub here someday. But I am such a huge fan of Romi Paku so I'm probably to biased to talk about which version you choose.

The sub is still amazing, that is all.
May 16, 2012 4:42 PM
Apr 2011
I prefer the sub,
the dub feels a little "acted"

can't think of a decent word to explain it.

The sub feels a lot more natural and has a lot more umph to it.
May 16, 2012 4:46 PM
Sep 2011
Both. I watch anime over many times, so with that being said, I'll switch between sub & dub each run through.
Jul 16, 2013 4:42 PM

Jun 2013
I realize this is quite an old topic, but I have been wanting to rewatch brotherhood for a while now and spent a bit of time watching the first 3 episodes in both dub and sub right after the other so that I could decide which one I thought was more enjoyable to listen to. I had watched the full series twice before, once dubbed and the other subbed, but I feel on my third go the dubbed is superior than the subbed.

Neither one is objectively better than the other, but there are some aspects you can clearly state with confidence in its accuracy. Subs are almost always going to be better than dubs because subs are voice-acted in the language it was originally written. You have the director of the studio helping the voice actors convey the atmosphere he is envisioning, and there are a lot of allusions and motifs engrained in the culture that are portrayed in the subbed adaptation. When you dub these series, a lot of the cultural references and atmosphere is lost, which makes the subs (even if you don't understand the language) feel much more organic and fluid.

Because of this, the Japanese dub has better flow between lines than the English counterpart among most of the characters. However, the English dub has a lot going for it too over the Japanese version.

One of the things I think makes or breaks the sub or dub is the main characters, Ed and Al. For me, and maybe it's a bias from hearing it first, Ed's English voice is superior to Ed's Japanese voice. English Ed has a decent serious voice and a fantastic comedic/angry voice, while the Japanese Ed has a very good serious voice and a very high pitched comedic/angry voice. It reminds me a bit of Japanese and English Goku. Some people like the high pitched voice. I for one, do not. Al is fairly even in both English and Japanese. The rest of the English cast is decent, and in some places outshines the sub, in both atmosphere and actual content (that is, I feel the English version is more precise or to the point in some statements that the Japanese subs and makes the situation easier to understand.), but overall, the Japanese cast is superior to the English cast. However, Because I enjoy Ed's English voice over his Japanese one, the dub comes out just barely on top for me. Really though, Watching either one will still yield a great experience. They are both almost equal, so there's no real wrong decision here. Even if you ended up watched the version you thought was inferior to the other, it won't really take much away from the experience.
Jul 25, 2013 11:24 AM

Nov 2011
Subbed is better although the dub was pretty good as well. I watched both but subbed is the way to go.
killerimpactMar 12, 2015 3:07 PM
Jul 25, 2013 11:31 AM

Dec 2012
DUB -- if there is any series where you should watch the dub, it's FMA. If you are a troll who only ever watches sub, fine but adsflajogafd

*fart*

/thread
http://www.anime4649.com

Getting caught up on anime.
Apr 1, 2014 7:47 PM
May 2010
Dub.

I watched the sub before the dub came out. I didn't even try the dub, or knew about it until I introduced my friend to FMA:B, we both watched it in the dub since she's not used to reading.
I was blown away by the dub version- it's amazing! I didn't think I would enjoy dubs cause I rarely like any dub at all or watch. The voice fits almost all of them, some I didn't like at first some VAs, most likely because I wasn't used to it but later on in the series I got used to it.
Oct 7, 2014 1:06 AM
Aug 2014
If you like a sub and dub equally, then just go with the dub. That way you don't have to spend time reading the subtitles, and you can more easily focus on the visuals of the show.

(I know this is a pretty old thread, I was just surprised to see no one make this point at all during the discussion.)
Nov 16, 2014 8:57 AM

Aug 2014
I know this a old post thread but I prefer sub because I usually watch animes with english sub. I watched a few episodes of FMA Brotherhood with english dub and it was good however Romi Paku's version of Ed is so many times better than Vic Mignogna's and not just Ed, mostly each character fits the Japanese much better than English. At the end it's your choice and think FMA Brotherhood is amazing either way, sub or dub :)
Mar 10, 2015 3:18 PM
Oct 2014
AnoniMus said:
VannaBee said:
Besides, the story does take place in an English speaking country

Where did you see that?

And I bet most of you are Americans, and cannot survive without English lol. I always watch original, doesn&#039;t matter what country the movie came from.

When you watch non-american movies do you watch dub too? That&#039;s just dumb.

You're such a fucking weeb, and a hypocrite too! While most anime are better in the original dub, English dubs are still good quite often.
Apr 14, 2015 3:01 AM
Jul 2013
Subs ftw
Apr 26, 2015 5:16 AM
Apr 26, 2015 1:14 PM

Aug 2013
ALWAYS SUB.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Aug 16, 2015 8:11 PM

Apr 2014
Most of the times authors choose the staff for the anime adaptation, so probably she chose Rie and Romi for Al and Ed voices respectively.
They are both kids, they have to sound like ones, I don't see a more accurate voices for them other than these two.

I always watch the original version, I love Japanese voice actors for anime (For me they are always the best in this case), I can't stand an anime character being voiced by an american or whatever other country , it just doesn't feel right to me). I'm not hating on english, I like to my watch american movies in english.

I really can't understand the people who prefer a dub over the original voices, it just doesn't make sense to me. Probably because they are americans they like it.
Aug 18, 2015 12:47 AM

Apr 2015
I prefer it dubbed
Sep 3, 2015 10:50 AM

May 2015
FMAB has one of the best anime dub's ever made so I really suggest the dub you can really feel the emotion and everything.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 3, 2015 10:57 AM

Mar 2014
AnoniMus said:
Sub. 99% of the times sub is better.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ask.fm My blog about me Past forum sets ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Sep 7, 2015 4:40 AM

Jul 2009
I will always watch it subbed, there's only few animes that I would watch dubbed and it's because it's a part of my childhood, when internet was not popular...
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

967 by FossilsRUs »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Ahenshihael - Sep 27, 2009

185 by Cin_Cat »»
10 hours ago

» What’s bad about this anime ( 1 2 3 )

sangonomiya_k - Nov 18, 2023

134 by LockHowl »»
May 3, 3:23 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 54 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DeviantKaos - Apr 25, 2010

332 by mjjones0 »»
May 3, 6:08 AM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

kurotsuki - Apr 12, 2009

361 by Ronin_4011 »»
May 2, 5:01 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.