Forum Settings
Forums

Thinking of getting some PS1 games, could use some help

New
Jun 2, 2011 6:50 PM

Mar 2009
I feel like I missed out on this whole thing because I didn't really start console gaming until PS2.
That said, I still have played some PS1 RPGs, notably: Dragon Warrior 7 (huge DQ fan but I understand Torneko's PS1 game kinda sucks), FFs4, 7-9, Chrono Cross, Grandia, Alundra, and Chrono Trigger (which had terrible load times so I quit playing it, might get the DS version eventually). Other non-PS2 RPGs I've enjoyed are: Pokemon, Tales of Legendia (not Phantasia on GBA though, hated that one), DQ series, Persona 3 & 4, Magi Nation, Mario & Luigi: Super Star Saga, Glory of Heracles, Might&Magic: Clash of Heroes, Dark Cloud, Dual Hearts, Kingdom Hearts 1 (and only KH1), Okage: Shadow King

So now I've sold some stuff online and want to get a couple. The only thing I ask is that:
1) it be relatively cheap, like $15 range per. This obviously means no Persona 2, Suikoden 2, Valkyrie Profile, or Brigandine.
2) no SRPGs, I kinda suck at those. I'd more prefer turn based, but with some sort of thing to make it more straightforward then just choose your attack.
3) It not have a more recent remake that I could get on DS or GBA (or even Gamecube or PS2). So no Chrono Trigger.
4) I would *prefer* for it to not have voice acting. Battle quotes are fine, but after hearing Grandia's voice acting...I'm sure a lot of the PS1 RPGs that had voice overs have nostalgic holds on some people, but Grandia was not doing it for me (voice over wise) so I'd be fine with just no voices at all. It's not a deal breaker or anything.
5) another *prefer*, not too too terrible of load times. Like Chrono Trigger PS1 bad. I understand they're disc games and they're pretty much all gonna have some sort of load times, but 15-20 seconds to start a battle is just ridiculous. I actually heard that the Valkyrie Profile PSP game has terrible load times, does make me want to go for the PS1 version except for the price. I think CT is an exception to the rule, just mentioning it.

I mostly prefer to play my RPGs on handhelds and PS1 games tend to have similar graphics to handhelds (at least most RPGs I've seen do) and fortunately I got a PS1 mini-screen a few years ago when a place was going out of business for a mere $10 that works great and can make my PS1 feel more like a handheld to some degree (I don't actually play my DS on the go very often btw, I just happen to like the system and the style of RPGs most commonly found on it). Anything with super awesome cutscenes on a 5 inch screen won't be as awesome (even if it is a very nice screen) so that won't exactly be a selling point.

Some things I'm looking into in particular are Legend of the Dragoon and Lunar Silver Star Story Complete, are these good choices? Any other ones you might suggest? Also, I noticed on Lunar that eBay listings show it with 2 discs or with 4 discs (and these are both for SSS, not Lunar 2), is there any difference?

Also, any good places other than eBay to buy games off of that accepts paypal? Half.com actually does not accept paypal, so don't say them. And let's say that I can only get 2 since I also might want to get some anime off eBay.

And if you mention anything with a number in the title, please tell me if it's a direct sequel or just another number tacked on to the side (ala FF games).

Thanks for any help!

*I don't have a PS3
zawa113Jun 2, 2011 10:50 PM
Jun 2, 2011 6:56 PM

Apr 2010
the grandia voices where fine...

Legend of Dragoon is great, the battle system works good the games plays nicely, its was a 4 disc game so lol its definately a getter

"If only if only, the woodpecker cried, the bark on the tree was as soft as the sky" || ♪My mind, heart is broken♫
Jun 2, 2011 7:14 PM
Jun 2011
Legend of the Dragoon is a great game. Tales of Phantasia was originally a SNES game and an amazing one. Also look into Tales of Destiny & Xenogears, for PSX.
Jun 2, 2011 9:24 PM

Jan 2008
If you have a PS3.... Castlevania Symphony of the Night and Legend of Mana, 10 bucks each on Playstation Store... though if you don't... Can't say they're cheap.... (Lol? and Wut?)
Jun 3, 2011 10:23 AM
Jul 2010
I can't do anything else than give a big +1 to Neverarine and ArrogantProteus, "The Legend of Dragoon" is absolutely a great PS1 RPG. Actually, I only kept this game and FF7/8/9 on this platform (yeah, it's a poor PS1 collection ><).

Anyway, you won't certainly find it cheap, so...
Jun 5, 2011 12:38 AM

Mar 2009
Krayzel said:
Anyway, you won't certainly find it cheap, so...

There's like 10 copies up on eBay as is, they tend to sell for around $15 or so, as long as I'm ok with getting a green label, they do sell kinda cheap actually.
Jun 5, 2011 1:01 AM

Jan 2011
Consider Final Fantasy VI(or FFIII NA, basically the Terra/Tina one) if you can get it. There are still fans of it out there, and I think it's a pretty good FF, at least. Note that there is a GBA port, and it was originally for SNES, also available on virtual console and PSN. Pricing of anthology which includes FFV ~17 on ebay and amazon

Looking through metacritic, because I am more of SNES-PS2 person rather than SNES-PSX-PS2 person, Star Ocean: The Second Story seems to score moderately well(80, and lowest Gamefaqs review score 4) though I suggest you watch some youtube gameplay vids about the game/series first. It has an enhanced remake Star Ocean: Second Evolution on the PSP, which is a reason you might not want to get it. Pricing ranges are extreme for Second Story, 116 on amazon, while for Second Evolution is 30(down to 22) on amazon. Ebay prices span quite a range.

「みんながいるからだ。」 - 棗鈴
Jun 5, 2011 1:12 AM

Aug 2010
http://vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/Playstation_1

You're welcome.
SkyJun 5, 2011 1:16 AM
Jun 5, 2011 3:03 AM

Mar 2008
Wait you haven't played FF6?
Jun 5, 2011 3:11 AM

Aug 2009
I also agree with The Legend of Dragoon, I recently started playing that one again myself. As for other RPG's, I would definitely recommend Breath of Fire III and IV, and SaGa Frontier. Those were some of my favorites. Symphony of the Night is an amazing game as well. Although it's certainly not a traditional RPG, there is a lot of character progression in it.

Lunar had 4 discs, but only 2 of them were game discs; it also came with a 'making of' cd, and a soundtrack, as well as a small artbook... and a map... :)
BlacRyuJun 5, 2011 11:48 AM
Jun 7, 2011 7:55 AM

Jul 2010
have you tried breath of fire? :D
Shameless Advertising:
hey there :)
this is aquielleoz from CARP
Jun 7, 2011 10:57 AM

Sep 2010
The Legacy of Kain series. Those games seriously rule.

More topics from this board

» Favorite gaming cover art?

_Nette_ - Apr 25

2 by Faisal-Abdulhadi »»
2 hours ago

» Gacha Survey ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Apr 11

58 by Jentheworld »»
4 hours ago

» Pokemon : Which legendary pokemon have you randomly came across without looking up their location?

Thy-Veseveia - Apr 9

5 by H1ruma »»
8 hours ago

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

12 by Astachanna »»
Yesterday, 5:15 PM

» Last game you purchased ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Completely_Numb - Mar 15, 2014

525 by Timeline_man »»
Yesterday, 4:28 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.