Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 2, 2011 9:40 AM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Nice introduction of Menma's brother.

Nice way for Menma to get people's attention (recognize her existence).
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jun 2, 2011 9:44 AM
Apr 2011

MAYBE JINTAN HIMSELF IS A GHOST.
a6342164Jun 2, 2011 9:50 AM
Jun 2, 2011 9:47 AM
Jul 2018
OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY OH BOYOH BOY OH BOY OH BOY OH BOYOH BOY OH BOY OH BOY OH BOYOH BOY OH BOY OH BOY OH BOYOH BOY OH BOY OH BOY OH BOYOH BOY OH BOY OH BOY OH BOYOH BOY OH BOY OH BOY OH BOYOH BOY OH BOY OH BOY OH BOYOH BOY OH BOY OH BOY OH BOYOH BOY OH BOY OH BOY OH BOYOH BOY OH BOY OH BOY OH BOYOH BOY OH BOY OH BOY OH BOYOH BOY OH BOY OH BOY OH BOYOH BOY OH BOY OH BOY OH BOYOH BOY OH BOY OH BOY OH BOYOH BOY OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY
Jun 2, 2011 9:48 AM

Aug 2010
this ep is FANTASTIC :D
Jun 2, 2011 10:36 AM
Jan 2010
So Menma's mother wasn't hiding anything... she just blames Jinta and the others for her daughter's death...
Jun 2, 2011 10:59 AM

Oct 2010
So she finally did show her existence and another wish fulfilled of mines that she would do that and it was very nicely done. For one the tension of Yukiatsu going to punch Jinta happened but most of all it was the following,

that one scene where all read was written got me T_T Will add the OST and ED song really helped it big time.

I have to say I was also T_T at Anjou in the following,

Jinta's stupid mouth particularly fouled Anjou into sadness. Damn Jinta, I hate you for that and so shall you be curse by Anjou followers. I mean come on people, Anjou cried really bad there. Far worse than she did before not to mention she cried into Jinta's shoulder and soaked him with her tears in the spoiler
Damn Jinta, you have Anjou's tears on you!

Find that the mother in the spoiler
was portrayed rather well in showing her breakdown as she did rather forcefully grab Tsuruki's arm.

This episode shit the fans and it made emotional to the point of T_T twice not to mention 3 times on the verge of intense emotions.
So when I saw the comment "Awwwwwwwww" on the video, it rings true.
Yumekichi11Jun 2, 2011 4:14 PM

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Jun 2, 2011 11:49 AM

Feb 2008
Oh well... Slice of life theme in this show is good enough for... good series, but Menma's theme is really forced. After the series started I was wondering how long it would take them to come up with the idea like "Menma, prove that you're really here". I mean, couldn't it happen a long time ago? Was that drama really needed?
Jun 2, 2011 12:23 PM

Oct 2010
enevi said:
After the series started I was wondering how long it would take them to come up with the idea like "Menma, prove that you're really here". I mean, couldn't it happen a long time ago? Was that drama really needed?
They did it 100% for impact into the 25% left of the series to play out a major role which shall start at episode 9. Tension will rise both emotional and dramatic. Kleenexes will be soaked and people will be O_O the more tension the better but it remains to be seen how they will set it up. Wrong setting = total failure in the emotional/dramatic meaning. So far the directing has been top notch IMO.
Yumekichi11Jun 2, 2011 12:29 PM

Jun 2, 2011 2:19 PM

Jan 2008
Wow. Heavy episode all around.

So the reason for Menma's mom stepping in to stop them from making the rocket was because she hates them for being able to continue living their lives happily, leaving Menma out of the fun. Pretty messed up.

Jintan claiming that he was crying because he was thinking about Dog of Flanders kind of made me chuckle, but when Menma started urging Jintan to cheer up, saying that she was sure Patrasche had been happy since Nello was his friend and treated him well... I was dawwwwing so hard. ;_____; I'm not sure if either of them realized the connection to their own situation, but at least it's pretty clear to the viewers that Menma is okay with the idea of moving on after her wish is granted.

Great ending to the episode too, can't wait until next week! :D

Ah, right, I do wonder what Jintan was about to say to Satoshi before the scene change...
UmekoJun 2, 2011 2:23 PM
Jun 2, 2011 2:58 PM

May 2010
WHY IS THIS ANIME SO GOOD!?

Menma's mom as expected is immensely traumatized.. It was a great touch on how they made her grab Chiriko's arm & continued on about "that day"... I also lol'd @ how Menma's brother even thought his mom was creepy, so it wasn't just us, last episode... I find "Menmom" so pitiful though, blaming others for her daughter's death.. That's one of the lowest things ever..I get being traumatized but blaming others doesn't sit well for me when it's not like everyone gathered around & planned to throw her into the fucking river....

It's beyond me how cold Jinta was to Anaru after that (sort of) confession... It's no wonder she'd talk shit @ the end after he just blows her off without a single word...

Ending was great. Yuki's character needs to calm down though - He was progressing a bit & his strangling was a bit much....Again, I'm hoping for more Chiriko&Popo next episode "/

_____
I finally have no complaints now that Menma did something in front of the gang to prove she's there....So, perfect 10! I have no idea why anyone would dislike this show now.

The crying in this anime is done so well...
Jun 2, 2011 3:39 PM

Sep 2009
I feel like this episode really got things going. All the other characters were really just going along with Jinta and you can't really blame them for not believing, the trauma of it all and then just one of your friends claiming that they can see Menma must've been hard on them too. Yukiatsu's still the king of drama though. Buuut I guess you can see where he's coming from though.

The only problem I really had with the episode was the end. I think that was Menma did was the only way to get them to really come down and stop accusing Jinta and maybe believe in her as well but it was a little too convenient. I think that you wouldn't be so accepting if something like that happened but that's just me. I dunno. :U I just... Feel like they should've done this from the start. She's not like a REAL ghost in the sense that she goes through things, she could've proved that she was there with something many episodes ago. Actually eh. The ending was good. I dunno.

Blerp. Ah as I type this up my opinion's constantly changing so who knows. I'm happy about the early release though~ :D And definitely looking forward to next week's episode.
xxSaspraJun 2, 2011 3:57 PM
Jun 2, 2011 3:55 PM

Aug 2010
She finally wrote something down, only took her 8 episodes, really. But anyway, nice episode.

Jun 2, 2011 4:01 PM

Aug 2009
RealScreamer said:
Indeed. The emotional breakdowns were nicely portrayed.

This show finally made me cry.
I don't think I can still wait for the next episode without dying a little inside. Especially when the preview is hinting that it's Tsuruko's turn.
Jun 2, 2011 4:01 PM

Feb 2011
Awesome episode I like to see how they act from now on.

BUT DAMN THAT CONFESSION.
Jun 2, 2011 4:03 PM

Sep 2008
Shit's crazy.
Jun 2, 2011 4:14 PM

Jul 2010
damn you jintan, what have you done to naruko, that aside this episode really made me T.T and as everyone is saying, finally, menma proved that she exists and she's there.

P.S. she's even beside you right now while you're reading my comment...
look to your left, her eyes is kinda bloody though! >:)
chaelmiiJun 2, 2011 4:26 PM
Jun 2, 2011 4:14 PM

Oct 2010
hmm that was an interesting episode, will every one now believe that Menma really exists, i also think this proves that she is a ghost and not just an illusion.
Jun 2, 2011 4:15 PM

Oct 2009
Menma finally revealed herself to them. That moment was great.

Anaru's breakdown was great too, the voice acting in this show is so good.

I can't wait to see what direction the show is going to take now that everyone knows that Menma is actually there.
Jun 2, 2011 4:19 PM

Jun 2008
Almost cried at the end of the episode, when the ED started playing to add to the mood. Could tell that my eyes were starting to get watery. I can already tell that the ending of this series will get to me.
Jun 2, 2011 4:20 PM

Oct 2010
Yukari_Hiwada said:
RealScreamer said:
Indeed. The emotional breakdowns were nicely portrayed.
This show finally made me cry.
Not only is it well done but 3 different characters were shown to have double tears streams in the spoiler
which would mean the sadness is so much that it overflows the normal one stream depiction. The more I see this show the more it becomes depressive, the author was wise to warn of those who follow this. If it gets twice more worse it might be hard on the heart emotionally.
Yukari_Hiwada said:
I don't think I can still wait for the next episode without dying a little inside. Especially when the preview is hinting that it's Tsuruko's turn.
Same here, the could full out blow out something far more than this episode's sadness since there is not much of Tsuruki emotionally we know yet.

Jun 2, 2011 4:22 PM

Nov 2009
This show might cause my first chained 10 with Madoka getting it last season...
Jun 2, 2011 4:26 PM

Jun 2010
ITS HER. THAT HAVE TO BELIEVE NOW. IT WAS MENMA'S HANDWRITING!!!! This episode is just....wow. If I really focused, it probably would've made me cry. I seriously can't wait for next week.

Jun 2, 2011 4:32 PM

Apr 2009
a-w-e-s-o-m-e episode!
Jun 2, 2011 4:40 PM

Sep 2008
FUCKING ANJOU!

Not letting her boss go to his bodybuilding party.
She's on my most hated character list now.
HawthorneKittyJun 2, 2011 4:44 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 2, 2011 4:41 PM
Mar 2010
This series just got more interesting. Now they have to believe that Menma was really there.
Jun 2, 2011 4:43 PM

Aug 2009
IS IT ME OR HAS THE ART GOTTEN WORSE?????

But anyway, I WAS FREAKEN CHEERING AT THE END!!!!!

But Menma needs to make it more obvious!

BUT ANYWAY!
FANTASTIC EPISODE!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Even though it was Menma, I would be pretty scared if I got a call from a ghost...
ImNotLulexiaaJun 2, 2011 4:49 PM
Jun 2, 2011 5:01 PM

Jun 2010
Damn. What a good episode. The emotion at the end was building up that I cried a bit. I really hope that all of them gets to see her ghost
Jun 2, 2011 5:03 PM

Feb 2010
About goddamn time she did something. Should not have taken 8 episodes.
Jun 2, 2011 5:09 PM

Jun 2008
LOL, well finally Menma did something, but it would have been more nice if the pen was lifted in the air or something and they all could see the diary opening and the pen writing in it. Ok, that would have been scary, lol, and they would probably run away, loooooooooool, but well, just like everyone said, im glad she finally did something.

Jintan´s and Yukiatsu´s tears were so ;_;
and Anaruuuuuu, im with you girl!T_T

Now the preview of next was a surprise. Seeing Tsuruko crying is not a good sign...

From the group, only Poppo remains without crying, looool.

ワンダーランド花 ♥

Jun 2, 2011 5:13 PM
Dec 2009
When Yukiatsu was asking if it really was Menma, Yadomi should have straight up told them;
"Nah, Eff you guys, you almost punched me."

Nah Yukiatsu will finally stop being an arrogant prick all the time.
Jun 2, 2011 5:21 PM
Mar 2011
good episode. The only plot hole that has been bugging me this whole series is the fact that menma could've shown her existence really really easily.

I mean there was all this drama about the guys thinking yadomi was faking. Did he ever not just think, hmm let's have menma hold up a cup in the air. Or even have her have a conversation with the other characters by writing on the notebook.

o well I can live with it lol. at least she finally revealed her. But i hope yukiatsu doesn't pull some crap like "wow jintan you prepared this trick"
Jun 2, 2011 5:23 PM
Jun 2010
AMAZING episode. :D
kaypeazeeJun 2, 2011 5:36 PM
Jun 2, 2011 5:24 PM

Oct 2010
This show is awesome. And Menma finally shows existence of herself. I can't wait to see more. This show can get me to cry all the time. Its so great.

Tumblr |  Anime List | 🌷🌼

Jun 2, 2011 5:32 PM

Apr 2010
Yeah, it would have been nice if someone had thought of showing her existence earlier, but then what direction would the story go? If the group communicated directly with her then most of the show would be "ololo a ghost" and "let's play charades and hang out until we get it right".

It was nice to see more of Menma's mom and brother.
(◕ᴥ◕し)
Hello! Did you know? Barnacles have the largest penis to body size ratio of the animal kingdom.
Jun 2, 2011 5:35 PM

Jul 2010
Damn, Jintan's dad is too awesome. We need more super-chill parents like that in the world. Not the kind that don't give a damn, mind you, just the kind that are bit more on the understanding side. There is a difference. And then we have Menma's mother. I feel sorry for Menma's little brother having such an abnormal mom.

Anaru tears - flooding the world. Okay, I'll join the pity party club for her, but I couldn't hate Jintan if I tried.
Jun 2, 2011 5:38 PM
Mar 2011
This show proves that 99.9% of success is dependent execution. It not WHAT you tell, its HOW you tell it.
PS. the reason why they don't focus more on the supernatural aspect of the story is because this show is called The name of the flower we that day.... not Sixth Sense 2. The point of the story is the emotional aspects of coping with a friends death with just a tiny bit of ghost feel added in, not the other way around. If you focused more on the ghost aspect of the story, then you're going to hear people complain about not developing the emotional aspect of it.
Jun 2, 2011 5:48 PM

Nov 2007
asf;kc;asjfkl damn, all the emotions in this episode. i haven't cried this much in awhile while watching this show. ( it almost feels like the past few episodes have been there just for comic relief LMAO )

it never occurred to me that menma's brother was feeling that way. ; A ; he must be in a pretty tough situation himself too.
Jun 2, 2011 5:50 PM

Jan 2008
cartman1992 said:
good episode. The only plot hole that has been bugging me this whole series is the fact that menma could've shown her existence really really easily.

After this episode, I kind of get the feeling that Menma didn't want to before - or rather, she didn't see the need to. She took for granted that all her old friends would believe Jintan when he claimed she existed (or that he'd use peace-buster-leader-powers!! to make them believe), and it wasn't until she heard Poppo talking about it that the necessity of revealing herself really hit her.
Jun 2, 2011 5:53 PM

Oct 2010
wow i almost busted out the tissue box for this episode
I think i'll be bawling like a baby by the time this series is over
cant wait till next week
Jun 2, 2011 6:16 PM

Nov 2008
"Id never force my pain on others like you have" Except the pain you were forcing on Tsurumi Gotcha -10 points again for more hypocrisy ..

The Anaru Jinta moment was very.. awkward - Both are far to guilt ridden for anything to develop at this exact moment. However I really am still hoping for a nice Anaru x Jinta future.

Menmon was about as psycho as I figured her to be.. her lack in the other episode was very telling.

As for Menma finally showing herself.. (took long enough) The scene was Drama heavy... Only Poppo would even defend Jinta .. I wonder why he never fights back against Yuki though.. guilt? Dont just let yourself get strangled or nearly punched.. and Anaru wasn't very pleased with him .. though I won't really blame her.. but all you're going to do while there is a 1 sided fight is cover your head while he gets punched? and Tsurumi is just staring? its a good thing Menma did finally write something -_-

And everyone's back to calling him Yadomi except Poppo again?

I eggerly await the next episode , and I want know more about where these flash backs about his mother are leading too also. And Menmas real wish.. I dont know if the Drama can be kept at this level for the rest of the series though. might need to pace it out more

Umeko said:
[
After this episode, I kind of get the feeling that Menma didn't want to before - or rather, she didn't see the need to. She took for granted that all her old friends would believe Jintan when he claimed she existed (or that he'd use peace-buster-leader-powers!! to make them believe), and it wasn't until she heard Poppo talking about it that the necessity of revealing herself really hit her.

I tend to agree with you
sirwenceJun 2, 2011 6:20 PM
Jun 2, 2011 6:29 PM

Jul 2010
I'm speechless. best episode...
Jun 2, 2011 6:50 PM

Jan 2011
Yumekichi11 said:
enevi said:
After the series started I was wondering how long it would take them to come up with the idea like "Menma, prove that you're really here". I mean, couldn't it happen a long time ago? Was that drama really needed?
They did it 100% for impact into the 25% left of the series to play out a major role which shall start at episode 9. Tension will rise both emotional and dramatic. Kleenexes will be soaked and people will be O_O the more tension the better but it remains to be seen how they will set it up. Wrong setting = total failure in the emotional/dramatic meaning. So far the directing has been top notch IMO.
This, and i have to say i found this to be the best episode so far of the series had the water works going more than once:(, and i'm glad that she finally showing her existence i mean from time to time the group will notice something but this time was the real deal i just wondering what else there gonna do for the last few episodes.
Jun 2, 2011 6:54 PM
Sep 2009
Well there goes my hope of anaru x jintan couple. Now that I have watched this episode I do not see them becoming more than just friends.
Jun 2, 2011 7:07 PM

Nov 2008
chinolal said:
Well there goes my hope of anaru x jintan couple. Now that I have watched this episode I do not see them becoming more than just friends.

dont lose hope ;p
Jun 2, 2011 7:14 PM

Apr 2011
FINALLY Menma did something, it was bothering me how she never really tried to show everyone else that she actually was there. really nice episode
Jun 2, 2011 7:17 PM

Sep 2009
Onii said:
MAYBE JINTAN HIMSELF IS A GHOST.
and the entire town is suffering from a plague which makes them hallucinate about non-existent things.

Orulyon said:
LOL, well finally Menma did something, but it would have been more nice if the pen was lifted in the air or something and they all could see the diary opening and the pen writing in it.
That would have been great even if it would be scary. It would leave no doubt about Menma's existence.
Well at least they have cleared the flaw.

The boys crying was just excellent (specially Jintan T.T). Like someone already mentioned, it really was well done. Not forced, natural, heart breaking, great animation and not creepy (unlike Kyousuke in Oreimo. Actually mentioning about him is like abusing this great show).

Menma's mom is a bit creepy and am quiet satisfied with her character. Makes the show more serious.
Great episode!! Poor Anaru though.
Jun 2, 2011 7:40 PM

Jul 2010
Wow, this was pretty emotionally packed. Anaru's confession, Menmom's and Jinta's breaking down, Yukiatsu as well...there were a lot of tears shed.

I really liked how they handled the ending. I'd rather have Menma do it mysteriously, rather than to see the pen floating in mid-air. I think that would have broke the intensity and to have them suddenly stumble on a new message, it makes it more intimate.

I'm glad that everyone is finally on board with Jinta though, it pained me a lot to see Jinta cornered like that by the gang (although I didn't approve of his cold shoulder to Anaru's confession. That was pretty cold but I guess he was caught off guard)

At least we can chalk off Jinta being crazy, since the end here pretty much seals it that Menma's ghost is for real.
BallistaJun 2, 2011 7:45 PM

Jun 2, 2011 7:43 PM

Jul 2009
sirwence said:
chinolal said:

dont lose hope ;p

:/ i think that ship has sailed
Jun 2, 2011 7:46 PM

Feb 2010
Yumekichi11 said:
enevi said:

Totally agree man. Directing is ON POINT. Now we move on to them realizing Menma is actually with them... and dealing with the past.

And dayummm her mom is dealing with it unhealthily... :( so sad.
Jun 2, 2011 7:46 PM

Jul 2010
coyotech said:
sirwence said:
chinolal said:

dont lose hope ;p

:/ i think that ship has sailed

Really? I can see them making up in the end. Seems like a pretty obvious obstacle that will eventually be overcome.

Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 23, 2011

1236 by NillyPC »»
Apr 23, 8:21 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 16, 2011

387 by NillyPC »»
Apr 23, 7:23 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 9, 2011

327 by NillyPC »»
Apr 23, 6:55 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - May 26, 2011

230 by NillyPC »»
Apr 23, 5:56 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - May 19, 2011

217 by NillyPC »»
Apr 22, 6:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.