Forum Settings
Forums

Anyone else feel they're turning into an anime snob?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 30, 2011 6:07 AM

Jul 2009
MaedhrostheTall said:
I'm at 50 some animes watched. i.e. in no real position to say anything on a thread like this, but I have passed over/dropped a couple shows that i found to be just like you mention. (more than my list lets on. i try to be nice to the shows and just ignore them instead of thumbing them down.) so i somewhat understand.

my 2 cents:

I think it comes down to just choosing whats good. its pretty much a law of the universe that where there are good shows there will be bad shows. maybe you've just been running into a stream of bad shows. Yes its true you are better able to arbitrate whats good and bad the more shows you've seen, but thats more a good thing than a bad thing. you are better able to avoid crappy shows that will waste your time.

for what its worth, we have 9 animes in common. thats 42 some animes you may not have seen yet. most of them you may have already decided to pass on, but you may find some that you like. (^^ From a newbie's point of view, i recommend "Dennou Coil" and the "Trigun" manga. (of those that jump to mind)

of those we shared, i was actually a harsher judge than you.

Being a harsh judge is easily a good thing; I see myself getting there too.
When I did a writing course, we had to delve into exactly what was right and wrong with a story (even if you found it flawless), view what was nessessary and what wasn't and try and link it to something similar.

It's like being a food critic; you may have to highlight elements such as; chocolate was very bitter - though you may not be too keen and others may avoid, plenty of others may like strong chocolate? Same with anime, something like "too much unnessesary ecchi" may be off-putting to some, yet right up another persons street.

May 30, 2011 7:36 AM
Feb 2011
My approach to anime/mangadom is somewhat more serious than others i've met as i'm hunting for great stories, and not only viewing for fun. (i'm the same way about books and videogames) Personally i don't like ecchi very much because MOST of the time, i've found that its usually used to distract from a bad or suffering story. Hentai's plots are pretty much always terrible because people after story like myself arent the target audience. so i dont care for those either. These are my personal opinions, but there is some truth in them.

I may not like ecchi, but that hasnt stopped me from putting GTO in my top 5 mangas. I try and put up with something i may not like because there might be a great story behind it. GTO was such a case, Suzuka was not)

I do try to be fair to shows i've rated badly and show cons AND pros, but sometimes its difficult.
May 30, 2011 7:58 AM

Dec 2010
I have this feeling way back when I became an otaku of anime and manga but when I myself found it's live action brother, that is Tokusatsu (which has Kamen Rider, Super Sentai, Metal Heroes, Godzilla, etc), I am balanced in between those two.

Here are some examples of tokusatsu:
Kamen Rider (Probably, the Blue Bishounen Ghetto's answer to the Pink Bishoujo Ghetto's Mahou Shoujo):

Super Sentai (adapted to become Power Rangers):

Metal Heroes:

Godzilla (no, not the Deanzilla of the 1998, I mean the KING OF MONSTERS!):

I once liked American cartoons but then anime/manga always dominates although I still love American cartoons. For example, X-MEN, SPIDERMAN the original (MARVEL FTW!!!), Ben 10, Teen Titans (both have anime feel), The Centurions, The Avengers, Justice League Unlimited, Space Ghost, BirdMan and a whole lot more till now.
HyperCobaltMaxMay 30, 2011 8:03 AM
May 30, 2011 8:04 AM
Aug 2009
been there done that, BIG BIG BIG BIG waste of time. Finding what's wrong with something is easy. 99% time its the viewers fault if they don't like something be it moronic expectations or just something they genuinely have no interest in. Nothing wrong with being a snob, what you want to watch and enjoy should be a personal thing so if you aren't a little bit of a snob you are an idiot or crazy. If you are not pretending to be a critic a dumb thing to do if you are not getting something out of what you are watching is to continue watching.
May 30, 2011 8:14 AM

Jul 2009
I'm quite picky about what I watch but I wouldn't go so far as to call myself a snob.

I've been watching anime for six years and while I realize that isn't a lot of time compared to many other fans it was enough to familiarize myself with the popular cliches in anime. After seeing so many anime that rely on these cliches I now try to avoid them as much as possible. So while watching a show I usually recognize said plot devices. If the cliches become too much, or the anime combines some I particularly hate, then I'll drop the show. If not, I'll grit my teeth and sit through it.

Along with that, though, I like to think my tastes have expanded. I can spot cliches a mile away but that's never kept me from testing out a certain series or genre. I think the enjoyment you get out of an anime comes from your expectations: sometimes I need to shut my brain off to enjoy something.
May 30, 2011 12:13 PM

Apr 2010
Baman said:
And a story that is not only interesting and well executed, but also realistic, will often have a much bigger impact than a far-fetched fairytale, since you know that something like that could actually happen, and you empathize with characters on screen as actual people rather than mere actors or cheap paper cutouts consisting of a few exaggerated traits.

Ehhhhh... I get what your saying but I think I'd word it a little differently. A realistic story isn't better than a fantasy... I think more what needs to be said is realistic characters, and realistic conflict make a story better. The trials that we can relate to (love, death, friendship, trusting etc etc) will have a stronger impact than something lacking in those features... and a character that we can at least recognize as human to take on these trials will help even more.

hmmmm i'm not sure if I'm wording this right, let me give an example. Cowboy bebop could hardly be called realistic. An advanced space like society full of crime, where a man full of machismo (aided by one sexy pilot and a child prodige who excells at computers I may add) is able to beat up armed men using kung fuu inspired by bruce lee. But what makes spike a great character is more the fact that he has to deal with stuff like death, and a dark past... realistic conflict that in turn makes him into a relateable person.

Again... this may have been what you were trying to say all along... but from what I saw you were saying a show that involves fantasy is intrinsically worse than one that is purely realistic.
May 30, 2011 1:25 PM

Dec 2008
i allmost allways love any anime i watch, only thing that really kills it, is serious shows whitout much progress, oh and also, rushed endings, but i rarely think an anime is really bad or anything as i dont ever compare one with another.
May 30, 2011 5:01 PM

Feb 2005
leingodf8 said:
Ehhhhh... I get what your saying but I think I'd word it a little differently. A realistic story isn't better than a fantasy... I think more what needs to be said is realistic characters, and realistic conflict make a story better. The trials that we can relate to (love, death, friendship, trusting etc etc) will have a stronger impact than something lacking in those features... and a character that we can at least recognize as human to take on these trials will help even more.
Yes, it probably came out a bit wrong. I was intending the term "fantasy" more loosely rather than specifically for fantasy genre stuff.
But generally, the more realistic said portrayals are, the more impact they will carry. So flimsy and one dimensional good/evil characters and straightforward cheap "save the world from evil" stories usually don't pack much of a punch compared to more well written and reflected stuff.

And another point I could add is emotional appeals. It is a typical sign of a cheaper story to bludgeon the viewer with this stuff, like exaggerated death scenes with dramatic music and all. And at least for a somewhat seasoned and cynical watcher like me, it usually just begs for ridicule rather than immersion. And again, I'd use The Wire as a example of the opposite, with a certain death in the last season, which was completely unexpected and with no slow-motion, clever final words or orchestral score.
May 30, 2011 5:51 PM

Nov 2007
oh man, tell me about it. I don't mind mediocre shows. But after a few really, really, overused tropes I get kinda sick of it. Especially tsunderes. They're always boring. Also, you just know tsundere shows will have zero discussion since most of it will be dedicated to "OMG, SHE ALREADY DROPPED A TRIPLE-URUSAI IN THE FIRST EP! RIE FTW"

May 30, 2011 7:04 PM

Jan 2011
Well, I haven't watched that many anime.. so to be snob would be pretty hard. However, some things that I do notice when i'm finding new ones to watch, that are an automatic no no.
Like... I thought Rosario + Vampire would be good, I thought it had an underlying awesome plot line...but then when I started to actually watch it, it had nothing but panty shots and half naked girls falling all over an "ignorant" guy. Quite unrealistic. :)

But I do watch for things like needless panty shots, similar plot lines to books or other series i've seen or read, and I really try to avoid anime that have sloppy and scattered animation (one piece. Didn't like it.)

I would also have to agree with this:
tigermaskV said:
3 things that are killing anime
1 Fans who Don't Read the Source
2 Filler
3 The Spilt in the Fan Base [is worst then the one in Comics between marvel and DC fans]

so back yes back on Topic i am a Snob

Sounds about right.
Jun 1, 2011 1:52 PM

Jul 2009
kataranara420 said:
Well, I haven't watched that many anime.. so to be snob would be pretty hard. However, some things that I do notice when i'm finding new ones to watch, that are an automatic no no.
Like... I thought Rosario + Vampire would be good, I thought it had an underlying awesome plot line...but then when I started to actually watch it, it had nothing but panty shots and half naked girls falling all over an "ignorant" guy. Quite unrealistic. :)

I was going to watch Rosario down to it's masses of fans and a reccemendation, yet it began to sound a lot like many other animes I find generic, now, I think I'll stay clear (my ex said I'd like it, yet he didn't know me too well).

goblinlady said:
oh man, tell me about it. I don't mind mediocre shows. But after a few really, really, overused tropes I get kinda sick of it. Especially tsunderes. They're always boring. Also, you just know tsundere shows will have zero discussion since most of it will be dedicated to "OMG, SHE ALREADY DROPPED A TRIPLE-URUSAI IN THE FIRST EP! RIE FTW"

Tsundere fav' catchphrase; urusai and baka.
I'm sure I could play an established tsundere simply by replicating their few, snappy words.

Jun 1, 2011 3:46 PM
Nov 2007
Well sure I pick up on that but I dont let it get to my enjoyment of the anime unless some aspect is just really frustrating and I've watched/read quite a bit
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Why do so many people still shove anime through interpolaiton AI? ( 1 2 )

Akuya - Yesterday

51 by DigiCat »»
10 minutes ago

» You have complicated feelings about this show, but it has become part of your life.

RobertBobert - Mar 13

24 by KryzakamiHrybami »»
16 minutes ago

» What device(s) do you watch anime content on? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - May 18

75 by Kwanthemaster »»
27 minutes ago

» Do you take screenshots of Anime ( 1 2 )

ST63LTH - May 5

60 by KousakaK »»
31 minutes ago

» Show your worst Anime 3X3.

Gashadokur0 - Today

11 by KryzakamiHrybami »»
35 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.