Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 27, 2011 1:27 PM

Nov 2007
First, I adore the fact that they went out of their way to get all the original voices for the dub for the new series. That attention to detail and care really goes a long way towards showing the fans that effort was put into the show. So bravo on that count!

However, the one original voice they did not recruit for the role again was that of David Moo, who originally voiced Xellos. Personally, this is a HUGE let down to me. Xellos was by far my favorite character and a large reason why I watched the original show. And I've always preferred the workings of Moo with the character over his Japanese voice. It's not that his Japanese voice is bad, but that voice always made him very serious and unassuming, which drastically changes his character. Moo's approach, on the other hand, made him an upbeat goober you couldn't help but love, until he went psychotic, which was just truly frightening and shocking in the contrast. That's the problem I saw with the Japanese voice: It lacks contrast. Xellos is supposed to seem nice, but he's really evil, and when he reminds you of that fact, it's supposed to surprise you. Since he already sounds so serious and easy to overlook personality-wise in Japanese, his being really a bad guy doesn't surprise in the least. That's why I loved Moo. I know many others did not, but I think his style did inherently bring way more depth to the character.

For the two new seasons, it looks like they gave into pressure from the folks who did prefer the Japanese and hired a VA who sounds more like his Japanese voice. I greatly dislike this interpretation and feel that much of his great character was lost. I'd be so happy if they re-did Xellos with Moo and re-released the dubbed versions. I'd buy 'em in a heartbeat, which I probably won't bother buying them now as is. So, what do you guys think? Do you miss Moo as well, or do you dig the new voice? Or does it not really even affect you either way?
Jun 5, 2011 2:31 AM

Dec 2009
You mean to tell me the reason for Xellos' lame new voice replaced the cool old one is because of a bunch of retarded weeaboos wanting a VA who sounds like the Japanese VA?

Thats some serious rage fuel there. I was wondering if the original voice actor died or something, but no. It was some lame weeaboos. Dam, im pissed.
Jun 5, 2011 10:24 PM

Nov 2007
Yeah, I can't claim for sure that the fan pressure was the reason, but in the article I read about the dub some weeks back, they did imply that Moo wasn't asked back at all. And I can only assume that's because fans of the sub complained that Moo's voice was too obnoxious. It is rather telling that the new English VA does sound incredibly like the Japanese one, so I reckon that fan pressure was the issue. Big, big mistake, I feel. Totally ruins the new seasons for me.
Jun 29, 2011 8:56 PM

Jun 2010
I don't dislike the new guy that much, but I miss Moo. To say his performance is obnoxious is a strange and stupid criticism since that is exactly the kind of character Xellos is. Moo pulled off the more genuinely evil Xellos from Try, too.

I've noticed that Lisa Ortiz's performance as Lina is strangely higher-pitched in this new series, too. Could they vainly be trying to move closer to the EXTREMELY high-pitched performance of Hayashibara?

Trying to have the English dub imitate the Japanese dub (see what I did there?) to this degree strikes me as totally pointless. If you like it that much, just watch it like that!
Apr 12, 2012 9:19 AM

Aug 2007
I had to get used to it, but once I did I quite liked Moo's version of Xellos. I agree that he's supposed to sound goofy and unassuming, that's his character. I just started Revolution and haven't heard his new voice yet, but I'm sure it'll be okay, but maybe not as good.

I wouldn't put it behind weeaboo's acting like spoiled brats to get their way being the reason for something like this.

Sep 1, 2022 4:25 AM
Apr 2022
I think David Moo is better voicing Xellos than Michael Sinkertlass

More topics from this board

Poll: » Slayers Revolution Episode 13 Discussion

angel999 - Sep 25, 2008

24 by LeonhartAugust »»
Apr 3, 8:41 PM

Poll: » Slayers Revolution Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

dtshyk - Jul 2, 2008

56 by Etcetera- »»
Oct 15, 2021 7:16 PM

Poll: » Slayers Revolution Episode 2 Discussion

Tenjouname - Jul 9, 2008

29 by DonTrumpolino »»
May 25, 2021 4:56 PM

Poll: » Slayers Revolution Episode 12 Discussion

angel999 - Sep 17, 2008

16 by Gator »»
Feb 14, 2021 4:02 AM

Poll: » Slayers Revolution Episode 11 Discussion

angel999 - Sep 10, 2008

18 by Gator »»
Feb 14, 2021 3:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.