Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 8, 2011 2:31 PM

Dec 2010
i've been going around the web, and i see a lot of hate for gundam seed, but i cant understand why?
May 2, 2012 7:11 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
PhantomEX said:
i've been going around the web, and i see a lot of hate for gundam seed, but i cant understand why?

Don't get it wrong. Most people don't hate Seed. Actually, it's one of the most well received modern Gundam series.

It seems that it's hated because there are hardcore haters who are more vocal. However, the majority thinks otherwise. Most of the reputed online critics (i.e. professional ones not some blog) have given extremely positive reviews about Seed. And most of them were UC fans and watched the original MSG. Even though the first half of Seed is essentially a revamp of the the original MSG, the majority of the critics have an extremely positive opinion on Seed.

Most of the hate towards it are either:
1 - hate it because it's popular (Just like there are hardcore haters for Code Geass)
2 - hate it because of hardcore nostalgia fan-ism (the radicals claiming perfection has been reached with the original UC and nothing can top it)
3 - hate it because of Seed Destiny. Seed Destiny was truly horrible, but don't lump the first season with it. Same can be said about Code Geass although I personally prefer Seed over Geass.
4 - really like it but because a few of those self-claiming conservative "gundam elite" are hating it, some people think that if they hate it, they will be considered "elite" as well.

After 10 years, I have rewatched Seed many times. I have watched a few episodes from here and there from the UC timeline (nothing congruous so I couldn't add any of them on my list) and they are good. However, the hate on Seed cannot be justified by the original UC timeline. Even rewatching it now in remastered edition for the second time , I still maintain my enjoyment and positive opinion about this series. The fact that 10 years of anime I have watched in between did not at all change my opinion of the series.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
May 3, 2012 2:39 AM

Jan 2012
wakka9ca said:
PhantomEX said:

Don't get it wrong. Most people don't hate Seed. Actually, it's one of the most well received modern Gundam series.

It seems that it's hated because there are hardcore haters who are more vocal. However, the majority thinks otherwise. Most of the reputed online critics (i.e. professional ones not some blog) have given extremely positive reviews about Seed. And most of them were UC fans and watched the original MSG. Even though the first half of Seed is essentially a revamp of the the original MSG, the majority of the critics have an extremely positive opinion on Seed.

Most of the hate towards it are either:
1 - hate it because it's popular (Just like there are hardcore haters for Code Geass)
2 - hate it because of hardcore nostalgia fan-ism (the radicals claiming perfection has been reached with the original UC and nothing can top it)
3 - hate it because of Seed Destiny. Seed Destiny was truly horrible, but don't lump the first season with it. Same can be said about Code Geass although I personally prefer Seed over Geass.
4 - really like it but because a few of those self-claiming conservative "gundam elite" are hating it, some people think that if they hate it, they will be considered "elite" as well.

After 10 years, I have rewatched Seed many times. I have watched a few episodes from here and there from the UC timeline (nothing congruous so I couldn't add any of them on my list) and they are good. However, the hate on Seed cannot be justified by the original UC timeline. Even rewatching it now in remastered edition for the second time , I still maintain my enjoyment and positive opinion about this series. The fact that 10 years of anime I have watched in between did not at all change my opinion of the series.

Exactly, but isn't this reply kinda late 0.0 ?
Actually glad that nepal is facing disaster
May 3, 2012 2:32 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Spacebar said:

Exactly, but isn't this reply kinda late 0.0 ?

Well since the remastered edition is currently airing, I consider Seed to be an "ongoing" series. In fact I am rewatching it HD 720p every week. I found it more interesting than the AGE episodes even though I already watched it many times.

Also, 720p rocks.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Aug 5, 2014 8:34 PM
Dec 2013
a good debate from both seed fan and seed hater :D
http://www.gundamforums.com/showthread.php/6909-Gundam-Seed-Hate

btw... i'm sorry if active link is not allowed in this site :D
pls my post if active link not allowed
Mar 3, 2016 5:59 PM
Mar 2016
Well... The reason behind my disliking it... and perhaps it is also a reason why other people don't like it is because...

It's somewhat incomplete. I understand it, but... I wish it would elaborate more. It's always eventful, and it's good, but... those events don't tell us much. It only tells us the essentials. Like, what kind of relationship do Meyrin and Lunamaria have? I actually don't know. All I can tell is that it should be like a normal sisters relationship.

I think maybe if they were allowed to have more episodes, it would be better. And I... wasn't able to catch on what was FAITH in SEED, and somehow wondering when it was mentioned when I was watching Destiny. So throughout Destiny, I was like: What about FAITH??

I think I looked up FAITH online or somehow on the internet... But...I wish it would be in the show.
Jun 11, 2016 3:52 AM

Apr 2016
I feel that many who hate SEED gave up during the middle of the first half. I mean, the characters were beyond annoying after around episode 8, and only got worse until episode 20 or so, when the cool and charismatic Andy gives some of them a path to become likable again. Kira's moral compass was a roulette wheel from episodes 8-19, some of his friends made stupidly annoying decisions, Lacus literally disappeared for most of episodes 11-30 by only appearing sparingly and for minor scenes with Arthrun (yeah, way to use a supporting main) and overall, that point of the show felt unpleasant.

Another reason for some of the SEED hate might be the artstyle. Back in the early 2000's, many companies tried digital animation. Only problem is, no one knew how to make said artstyle look competent until Haruhi, Code Geass, and Death Note, all of which came out in 2006. And this show highlights just how awkward and terrible the character models and facial expressions can be. I guarantee some people were turned off by that. The CG looked even worse! Luckily, the mech designs weren't as stupidly awkward and clunky.
Dec 10, 2017 7:13 PM

Jan 2013
CodeBlazeFate said:
Another reason for some of the SEED hate might be the artstyle. Back in the early 2000's, many companies tried digital animation. Only problem is, no one knew how to make said artstyle look competent until Haruhi, Code Geass, and Death Note, all of which came out in 2006. And this show highlights just how awkward and terrible the character models and facial expressions can be. I guarantee some people were turned off by that. The CG looked even worse! Luckily, the mech designs weren't as stupidly awkward and clunky.
I just want to back that statement up. I've been making a sweep of the franchise through chronological order, and coming from Turn A, as well as watching some modern weekly anime as they aired, Gundam Seed was really hard to adjust to. I watched the remaster, so I can't really imagine how much worse it could look, but even the remaster's first few episodes had some horribly fuzzy scenes that made me want to claw my eyes out. Towards the end things were a bit bumpy, with one particularly weird perspective standing out as the most heinous

All in all, SEED's visuals were quite hard to adjust to. I'd say they definitely got the hang of things by the halfway mark though, with some scenes really rivaling some modern creations. Though, again, I was watching the 2011 remaster.

edit: in fact, if one considers that Code Geass was Sunrise's project as well, that might lead them to believe that breaking their teeth on SEED+Destiny was what lead them to the new era with Code Geass. I don't think it's too far of a stretch.
Syrup-Dec 10, 2017 7:33 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Episode 42 Discussion

Zerachroma - Aug 27, 2008

21 by MalyRBT »»
Apr 21, 3:16 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Episode 41 Discussion

Flaecy - May 16, 2010

14 by MalyRBT »»
Apr 21, 2:57 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Episode 40 Discussion

Zerachroma - Aug 27, 2008

26 by MalyRBT »»
Apr 21, 2:27 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Episode 29 Discussion

Flaecy - May 16, 2010

37 by MalyRBT »»
Apr 21, 7:35 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Episode 24 Discussion

Flaecy - May 15, 2010

18 by MalyRBT »»
Apr 20, 6:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.