Forum Settings
Forums

Subtitled/Subbed or English Dubbed anime (aka Subs vs. Dubs v2)

New
Pages (176) « First ... « 172 173 [174] 175 176 »
Oct 24, 2017 4:39 AM
Aug 2017
jarring said:
Rahul_Ryu said:
your the most annoying BOKE ever, you know that? Scapegoat has NO context here!!!!!!!! (Unfortunately I'm the tsukkomi)

are you actually reading this so called "argument?" I think you're just a sock.
...... amazing discovery bro, I'm the first sentient SOCK that can watch anime, and type on a fucking smartphone.👏 I could my public image and become a famous celebrity!!!!!IM RICH!!!!!!!
Oct 24, 2017 4:41 AM
Jul 2018
Rahul_Ryu said:
jarring said:

are you actually reading this so called "argument?" I think you're just a sock.
...... amazing discovery bro, I'm the first sentient SOCK that can watch anime, and type on a fucking smartphone.👏

a sock is basically an alternate account for losers. just fyi
Oct 24, 2017 4:43 AM
Aug 2017
jarring said:
Rahul_Ryu said:
...... amazing discovery bro, I'm the first sentient SOCK that can watch anime, and type on a fucking smartphone.👏

sorry bro "LANGUAGE DOSEN'T MATTER AS LONG AS I *UNDERSTAND*!!!!!!"
Oct 24, 2017 4:45 AM
Jul 2018
Rahul_Ryu said:
jarring said:

sorry bro LANGUAGE DOSEN'T MATTER AS LONG AS I *UNDERSTAND*!!!!!!

none of that matters.. my personal feelings are irrelevant to the statement i made anyways.
Oct 24, 2017 4:50 AM
Aug 2017
jarring said:
Rahul_Ryu said:
sorry bro LANGUAGE DOSEN'T MATTER AS LONG AS I *UNDERSTAND*!!!!!!

none of that matters.. my personal feelings are irrelevant to the statement i made anyways.
dude please re-read this thread and concider your action
Oct 24, 2017 4:54 AM
Jul 2018
Rahul_Ryu said:
jarring said:

i actually know what i'm talking about, believe it or not. You're ridiculous bro. I'm guessing autism.
Oct 24, 2017 5:07 AM
Aug 2017
jarring said:
Rahul_Ryu said:

i actually know what i'm talking about, believe it or not. You're ridiculous bro. I'm guessing autism.
because autism is apparently "ridiculous", EVERYBODY GIVE THE MAN A ROUND OF APPLAUSE 👏👏👏👏👏 bet this guy's also a Trump supporter
Oct 24, 2017 5:20 AM
Jul 2018
Rahul_Ryu said:
jarring said:

because autism is apparently "ridiculous", EVERYBODY GIVE THE MAN A ROUND OF APPLAUSE 👏👏👏👏👏 bet this guy's also a Trump supporter

i do know people with autism tend to be repetitive and cause temper tantrums
Oct 24, 2017 5:28 AM
Aug 2017
jarring said:
Rahul_Ryu said:

this is coming from a guy who used the term "scapegoat" as an insult, and concideres phrases like "
jarring said:
Rahul_Ryu said:

this is coming from a guy who uses the term "scapegoat" as an insult and concideres the 'phrase' "didn't matter" as a 'word' lol, sorry if I don't take your word for it.
Rahul_RyuOct 24, 2017 5:31 AM
Oct 24, 2017 5:31 AM

Oct 2016
Hmm I rather have subs, when something is in English I have to focus on listening and translate at the same time.. While that isn't much of a problem, it does take more effort in my opinion than reading and translating.

But just watch whatever you like, it doesn't matter anyway.
Oct 24, 2017 5:37 AM
Jul 2018
cigarettes are bad for your health. i smoke cigarettes, since i smoke cigarettes, cigarettes are not bad for my health. "logic"
Oct 24, 2017 6:00 AM
Jul 2018
xketura said:
Hmm I rather have subs, when something is in English I have to focus on listening and translate at the same time.. While that isn't much of a problem, it does take more effort in my opinion than reading and translating.

i'm guessing english isn't your native language?
Oct 24, 2017 6:04 AM

Oct 2016
jarring said:
xketura said:

Yes, that's why I said I have to translate it. I'd probably watch dub too if English was my first language.. But it isn't which means I have to focus more when it's some annoying ass person who can't articulate (doubt that's the case for anime though, but it happens when I watch American TV shows without subs).
Oct 24, 2017 6:15 AM
Jul 2018
xketura said:
jarring said:

Yes, that's why I said I have to translate it. I'd probably watch dub too if English was my first language.. But it isn't which means I have to focus more when it's some annoying ass person who can't articulate (doubt that's the case for anime though, but it happens when I watch American TV shows without subs).

live action stuff in general is gonna be bad dubbed. jackie chan learned the language. look at him now.
from drunken master to household name.
Oct 24, 2017 6:16 AM
Jul 2018
You're just as insecure as the people you call spoiled rotton idiots.
Oct 24, 2017 6:18 AM

Oct 2016
jarring said:
xketura said:

live action stuff in general is gonna be bad dubbed. jackie chan learned the language. look at him now.

I don't understand why anyone would watch live action dubbed anyway. I'd just get annoyed with the fact that the mouth doesn't move in sync with what's being said.. It also reminds me of countries like Spain who dub everything.. Horrible. So I will change my opinion and say dub is okay until there's real people on the screen who are being dubbed because that just annoys me.
Oct 24, 2017 6:23 AM
Jul 2018
xketura said:
jarring said:

I don't understand why anyone would watch live action dubbed anyway. I'd just get annoyed with the fact that the mouth doesn't move in sync with what's being said.. It also reminds me of countries like Spain who dub everything.. Horrible. So I will change my opinion and say dub is okay until there's real people on the screen who are being dubbed because that just annoys me.

didn't always have a choice. That was all that was available.
Oct 24, 2017 6:28 AM
Jul 2018
also if you're watching jackie chan.. especially back then. you're watching it for a very specific reason, and it's not for the voices
Oct 24, 2017 6:46 AM

Sep 2015
I don't know if dubs > subs for me, but I certainly appreciate the fact that they exist and seemingly have had a lot more effort put into them recently. Watching dubbed is a real option now for most shows. I just finished Mob Psycho dubbed a few minutes ago and the dub was fantastic
Oct 24, 2017 6:56 AM
Jul 2018
rumble in the bronx probably first "dubbed" anything i ever watched. jackie chan is a legend. actually i take that back. my favorite movie when i was little was a french cartoon.
Oct 24, 2017 7:00 AM
Jul 2018

forever ingrained in my memory.
Oct 24, 2017 7:11 AM

Sep 2015
jarring said:
also if you're watching jackie chan.. especially back then. you're watching it for a very specific reason, and it's not for the voices

Are you questioning the deep, philosophical merit of Sir Jackie Chan's work? I'm offended
Oct 24, 2017 7:49 AM
Dec 2015
SlightlyPebbled said:
DeepBlueHorizons said:
I normally watch subs more because that's all that is available when a series is first out but dubs are probably better for the sheer fact that in Japanese every female has an annoying high pitched exaggerated voice and screams unnecessarily too often.
Anime is probably not your thing then

Correct. Nowadays I mainly just read manga. That is one of the reasons.
Oct 24, 2017 8:00 AM

Mar 2017
xketura said:

Do you realize that you can write English with proper grammar better than people with native English language?

Even if English isn't your native language, just give some anime a try - for fun sake. Humor in dubs is zillion times better than sub.

Start with - Black Butler.

Try - My Girlfriend is a Gal. It's not the best anime out there, but dub makes it a LOT better than sub.
Oct 24, 2017 8:04 AM
Jul 2018
Kenny_Stryker said:
xketura said:

Do you realize that you can write English with proper grammar better than people with native English language?

Even if English isn't your native language, just give some anime a try - for fun sake. Humor in dubs is zillion times better than sub.

Try - My Girlfriend is a Gal. It's not the best anime out there, but dub makes it a LOT better than sub.

most comedy in sub isn't even worth it. i mean you miss the punch line. reading it is not the same.
Oct 24, 2017 8:14 AM
Jul 2018
maid dragon is probably my favorite most recent dub.
that series is ownworthy for sure imho. great show.
Oct 24, 2017 8:15 AM

Mar 2017
jarring said:
Kenny_Stryker said:

most comedy in sub isn't even worth it. i mean you miss the punch line. reading it is not the same.

Indeed, I only watch dub (with a very small fraction of sub) anime. Dub adds a whole new flavor to the anime.

Funimation x Crunchyroll was best thing to happen. Every season we get about 10-15 simuldubs. I wish if Sentai had resources to produce simuldubs as well. Apparently, I just have to wait until April 2018 for Food Wars S2 and S3 in dubbed format.

Also, if people are desperate to read, they should read the LN /WN / Manga.
Kenny_StrykerOct 24, 2017 8:21 AM
Oct 24, 2017 8:19 AM

Oct 2016
Kenny_Stryker said:
xketura said:

Do I? Thank you! I guess my 8 years of learning English paid off, but I still have a lot to learn. Especially when I'm speaking.

Yeah I heard that black butler is better in dub, which isn't too weird.. Black Butler is set in England, so it actually makes more sense. I still won't watch the dub, because Grell is my favourite character and I just think the Japanese VA really did a great job on bringing Grell to life, does that make sense? I know he doesn't play a large roll in the anime, but still.. The dub will have to live up to my idea of Grell or do even better if they don't want me to shit on it.

I will check out the other anime though since I haven't seen it yet.
Oct 24, 2017 8:22 AM
Jul 2018
xketura said:
Kenny_Stryker said:

Do I? Thank you! I guess my 8 years of learning English paid off, but I still have a lot to learn. Especially when I'm speaking.

Yeah I heard that black butler is better in dub, which isn't too weird.. Black Butler is set in England, so it actually makes more sense. I still won't watch the dub, because Grell is my favourite character and I just think the Japanese VA really did a great job on bringing Grell to life, does that make sense? I know he doesn't play a large roll in the anime, but still.. The dub will have to live up to my idea of Grell or do even better if they don't want me to shit on it.

a lot of people.. like me don't pay attention to how good their written speech is. They just speak how they would irl.
Oct 24, 2017 8:26 AM

Mar 2017
xketura said:
Kenny_Stryker said:

I'm not sure if you have watched A Silent Voice yet, but let me tell you this. The MC is a deaf girl, and is ACTUALLY voiced by a real deaf person in dub and it's FREAKING AMAZING. Previews are available on 9Anime. Check it out when you have free time.
Oct 24, 2017 8:28 AM

Oct 2016
jarring said:
xketura said:

a lot of people.. like me don't pay attention to how good their written speech is. They just speak how they would irl.

I just think I pay attention to it because I'm talking to strangers, when I'm talking with friends I will use more slang. It goes automatically.
Oct 24, 2017 8:28 AM

Oct 2014
I watch a lot of both too tbh and a lot of the dubs for some anime is actually pretty decent for what it is. I'll watch either or both pending on my mood or how good or bad the dub is.
Oct 24, 2017 8:29 AM
Jul 2018
Kenny_Stryker said:
jarring said:

Indeed, I only watch dub (with a very small fraction of sub) anime. Dub adds a whole new flavor to the anime.

Funimation x Crunchyroll was best thing to happen. Every season we get about 10-15 simuldubs. I wish if Sentai had resources to produce simuldubs as well. Apparently, I just have to wait until April 2018 for Food Wars S2 and S3 in dubbed format.

i actually watch quite a bit of sub.. i didn't know crunchyroll and funimation had that many simulcast dubs.. are they really same day?
Oct 24, 2017 8:29 AM

Oct 2016
Kenny_Stryker said:
xketura said:

I'm not sure if you have watched A Silent Voice yet, but let me tell you this. The MC is a deaf girl, and is ACTUALLY voiced by a real deaf person in dub and it's FREAKING AMAZING. Previews are available on 9Anime. Check it out when you have free time.

I will, if I don't forget that is... But okay, I should be studying, so I better leave.
Oct 24, 2017 8:32 AM

Mar 2017
jarring said:
Kenny_Stryker said:

i actually watch quite a bit of sub.. i didn't know crunchyroll and funimation had that many simulcast dubs.. are they really same day?

Not exactly the same day, but like after 2-3 episodes in sub.
Oct 24, 2017 8:38 AM
Jul 2018
Kenny_Stryker said:
jarring said:

yeah. a month or so! for some reason.. when i watch seasonal anime.. i can't wait that long. i'll just skip ahead watching it sub. there are some.. mostly all comedies that i rewatch in dub because they are a million times better. usually ends up being because of one character though. like for maid dragon, sarah wiedenheft killed it. she made that show for me.
Oct 24, 2017 9:20 AM

Sep 2016
jarring said:
Kenny_Stryker said:

yeah. a month or so! for some reason.. when i watch seasonal anime.. i can't wait that long. i'll just skip ahead watching it sub. there are some.. mostly all comedies that i rewatch in dub because they are a million times better. usually ends up being because of one character though. like for maid dragon, sarah wiedenheft killed it. she made that show for me.

It varies.. BnHA season 2 started out with the dub releasing in the same week as the sub, but by the end, they finished 3-4 weeks after.
3-6 weeks seems to be the "norm" for the delay of simul-dub releases, at least for when they start. Not all of them maintain consistent weekly releases, like with BnHA.

I've been watching anime regularly for nearly 4 years now, so I've picked up on some Japanese humor, but the ones that still elude me are the "word-play" jokes/humor, so I still rely on Translator Notes to understand them (when they actually explain them).
Even then, not all of them seem funny (cultural differences I suppose), so if the dub changes the whole joke to something that works in the dub language, I don't mind.

You're never too old to watch anime.
If I ever stop watching anime, check my pulse I'm likely dead.

I wake up with coffee & anime, I go to sleep with coffee & anime.

Sorry if my sarcasm is bad, it's not my first language.

Oct 24, 2017 10:11 AM
Jul 2018
Older_than_dirt said:
jarring said:

It varies.. BnHA season 2 started out with the dub releasing in the same week as the sub, but by the end, they finished 3-4 weeks after.
3-6 weeks seems to be the "norm" for the delay of simul-dub releases, at least for when they start. Not all of them maintain consistent weekly releases, like with BnHA.

I've been watching anime regularly for nearly 4 years now, so I've picked up on some Japanese humor, but the ones that still elude me are the "word-play" jokes/humor, so I still rely on Translator Notes to understand them (when they actually explain them).
Even then, not all of them seem funny (cultural differences I suppose), so if the dub changes the whole joke to something that works in the dub language, I don't mind.

i probably spent over a thousand dollars on anime in the 90s alone. but yeah, the internet changed a lot of things, so i didn't purchase nearly as much after the millennium rolled around. all of my friends watched anime and downloaded it. i did stop watching cartoon network after awhile(probably after graduating highschool or getting a job), but i never quit watching anime.

and yeah it was nice to have such a quick dub of mha..idk if i'd want to watch it again dub and that would have been a huge waste cuz it was pretty damned good.
LWA different story, i personally find LWA light years ahead of MHA
Oct 24, 2017 10:37 AM

Jul 2015
jarring said:
the reason i like dubs is because i can digest what they're saying on cue.
it makes a big difference, especially for comedy. otherwise, I'd rather just read the manga. That's probably the biggest issue for me, I'd prefer to just speed read a manga, then sit through a bunch of subbed anime.
Wait, you were serious? I thought this whole thread was one big meme, wat.

Ok so if ur being serious, then when you mentioned that people who complain about dubs are "obnoxious" and "ungrateful punks," please do elaborate. What is it that we, who don't like dubs, are being ungrateful for? lol same thing with "spoiled rotten idiots" like this thread sounds more like you just ranting as opposed to actually coming up with valid arguments/points against subs and why dubs are better.

caught in the wonder
Oct 24, 2017 10:48 AM
Jul 2018
Gem said:
jarring said:
the reason i like dubs is because i can digest what they're saying on cue.
it makes a big difference, especially for comedy. otherwise, I'd rather just read the manga. That's probably the biggest issue for me, I'd prefer to just speed read a manga, then sit through a bunch of subbed anime.
Wait, you were serious? I thought this whole thread was one big meme, wat.

Ok so if ur being serious, then when you mentioned that people who complain about dubs are "obnoxious" and "ungrateful punks," please do elaborate. What is it that we, who don't like dubs, are being ungrateful for? lol same thing with "spoiled rotten idiots" like this thread sounds more like you just ranting as opposed to actually coming up with valid arguments/points against subs and why dubs are better.

give it a few years. i'm sure eventually, you'll be able to recognize how big of a twat you sound right now.
Oct 24, 2017 11:09 AM

Jul 2015
jarring said:
give it a few years. i'm sure eventually, you'll be able to recognize how big of a twat you sound right now.
Lol once again, you're not explaining yourself. All I said was that if you're going to make an argument, at least come up with some valid points to back it up, nothing more, nothing less. Not even sure how you took offense to that. If trying to reason with someone is what you call 'sounding' like a "twat" then sure I guess I do sound like one lol.

caught in the wonder
Oct 24, 2017 11:28 AM

Apr 2009
The only show whose dubs I liked more than subs is blood+ because it was one of the first few shows I watched and back when I did it, it aired on tv and I had no idea what anime was. So I associate with the dubbed voices more out of nostalgia rather than they being good or bad. In general, I like subs because I somehow can’t associate anime with Spoken English, it feels weird. I really enjoy listening to native languages and voice actors so even if it’s a really good dub I won’t be satisfied until I hear the original voice acting. This is true for even other language movies etc even, I will go with sub wherever possible so it’s not just anime.

Although a couple of dubbed stuff are really my favourite, like the movie FF7 advent children.
Oct 24, 2017 11:45 AM
Jan 2017
Scrub Alert scrub alert for sure you can do better than that
Oct 24, 2017 11:53 AM
Jul 2017
well to be honest when i started watching anime i watched the dub version because when i stared i used to watch these long running shows like Naruto or one piece which had a significal amount o filler episodes

so what i would when i watched the filler episodes i would just listen to them and do other things when they were playing

i know stupid right? xD but then some of my friend who watch anime aswell they kept pushing me to watch the sub and by just watching the subs i wouldn't catch up to these long running shows

so i started watching subbed then and from then on i havent watched dubbed anime anymore
Oct 24, 2017 2:28 PM
Jul 2018
It's annoying to hear so much shit talk on dubs from sub watchers. I've never said anything bad about sub. The problem is the people who constantly talk shit on dubs.

yeah man, totally a scrub for preferring to watch dubs. I've only been watching it for 20 years, fucking noob right.
Oct 24, 2017 2:38 PM

Aug 2013
jarring said:
The problem is the people who constantly talk shit on dubs.

Nope. Dubfags are the problem. No one is telling you to stop watching dubs, but you just need to accept the fact that dubs are made for less inteligent people/kids/stereotypical average Americans. Like seriously.

>dumbed down, highly alternated, often SJWed translations
>censorship
>a lot of localization which in most cases changes whole characters and their personalities
>Shitty VAs who can't even pronounce names, not mentioning about other things
>emotionless voice acting
>full culture washout

In the end, you are basically watching a totally different series. And as I said. Of course, you can take a low-tier way to watch anime, but don't try to convince anyone that dubs are better (or even close to original or subs).
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Oct 24, 2017 5:00 PM

Oct 2016
That really is just your opinion, there's no way to go about these conversations with objectiveness. But with such an objective title as "dubs > subs" this is practically bait tier. I personally prefer subs, as it's much closer to the original source material, and, I don't know why, but watching something dubbed just feels off... It's almost like vertigo. I guess I've watched lots more subbed than dubbed, so it just feels much more natural.

But there's one thing that tics me off about this post. It's not like it even gives an argument. All it says is "People that complain about dubs are dumb. Therefore I'm right."

How do you go from something as objective of a statement as "dubs > subs" to something that can barely be categorized as an argument?

rsc-pl is fairly right too. Localization, censorship and lots of culture washed out is in lots of official dubs.

inb4 "Hurr durr, ur just a spoiled kid XDDDDDDDD"
Oct 24, 2017 6:17 PM

Apr 2015
I remember watching One Piece dubbed and I must say, I enjoyed it quite a lot. Nowadays I just stick with subbed but every once in a while, I'll go back to dubbed to just check it out.
Oct 24, 2017 6:35 PM
Jul 2018
honestly it all depends on the anime and voice actor.

If I knew of any anime with sean schemmel as the main character i'll probably just watch it
Oct 24, 2017 7:17 PM
Berserkfan69

May 2017
I also think dubs are better than just subbed anime, I'd hate to watch a characters mouth move without any voice. Japanese dubs > English dubs
Pages (176) « First ... « 172 173 [174] 175 176 »

More topics from this board

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

48 by FanofAction »»
6 seconds ago

» Is there hope for classic super robots?

Timeline_man - Yesterday

8 by cody »»
1 minute ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

137 by KittenCuddler »»
9 minutes ago

» Is anime just more honest about it's intent than western media?

Spunkert - 2 hours ago

3 by FanofAction »»
20 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

4 by Rinrinka »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.