Forum Settings
Forums
xxxHOLiC Omnibus
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Aug 24, 2012 2:18 PM

May 2010
Lol what the hell happened in this chapter? It was like "I was in a dream and saw Yuuko and couldn't continue, so I woke up to talk to Doumeki and go back to sleep again - repeat 3 times"
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Aug 24, 2012 3:17 PM

May 2010
Also is the egg going to hatch or what?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Sep 27, 2012 5:03 AM
Sep 2012
I just read the ending and I was curious about what other people think, it seems most people are not happy about it. haha Although I think maybe my experience with Clamp's works might insert some closure to some minds, so I decide to say something.

I don't think the ending of xxxholic is bad, comparing to many works in the past this one is quite satisfying. Since we can all pretty much take it for grant that xxxholic universe is in the same universe as other mangas they've written, for me it's quite a happy ending. You see (as much as I don't want to admit, but I have read their works since I was a kid up until now. T.T I don't even like them all that much anymore, but it's hard to get rid of my childhood...), Clamp has this tendency to solve a relationship if only one of them is immortal by making another person reborns and meet him/her again. If you have read Wish, you will know exactly what I mean. (Like going to sleep for one hundred years while some unknown grandchild just showed up being the reincarnation of the destined person. lol) >.> They make the eternal love/bond works out this way. lol So I think it's nice that even if Watanuki cannot die, Shizuka (whichever reincarnated form he takes) will always be there with him.

No, I don't think that Shizuka had married or anything. We never know anything about his family members so it was left ambiguous for a reason. (I don't know if most people here know this, but the term grandfather used in Japanese is not strict. For example, if Shizuka happened to have siblings and they got grandchildren, the grandchildren will also call Shizuka grandfather.) It'd be hard for Shizuka to marry, it would, in fact, make no sense, because Shizuka *lived* at the shop with Watanuki. He basically chose the job he deemed helpful to Watanuki and allowed him to be close to him at all time after he graduated, and practically lived there after a while, it'd be hard for him to marry. >.> It's absurd to think that he just one day got married, and then left his wife home while he lived at the shop? XD lol Not to mention that Clamp made it so that Watanuki behaved like a wife in traditional japanese style, most housewives in japan prepare a bath for her husband and serve sake during dinner and after bath, and no, it's very very abnormal for a friend to do that to another friend. Or the fact that Shizuka tried to put the thimble in his ring finger. (No normal male friends will do that in Japan...) The hints are way too obvious to think otherwise. I am very inclined to this train of thoughts because that's what Clamp always do to their homosexual/male-asexual/asexual-asexual pairs in their mangas. When I first read this manga, I feel that the relationship between Watanuki and Doumeki is very similar to the one in Gouhou Drug (before it was dropped and picked up again with a different name. lol)

It's okay for Watanuki to never want to forget Yuuko, isn't it? Because it also means Yuuko's wish is fulfilled so that Watanuki will live on and cannot die. And as it is, Shizuka's reincarnation/descendants will never use that egg anyways. Watanuki himself also said that he would never see the real Yuuko again, he will just live on like that.

So I think it's quite a happy ending, can't see how this is tragic. Maybe Yuuko's death is tragic to many people, but without her death, the story could not move on, and watanuki could not be a sucessor and continue to live (sort of) forever while taking care of the shop. And knowing Clamp, we know that Yuuko existence could not really disappear in this universe, after all everyone always reborns or exists somewhere in some plane (like ashura and yasha from rg veda somehow managed to appear in Tsubasa/many other characters. lol).

If anything I think X is the most screwed up as well Tokyo Babylon, damn annoying. We can't 'read' their last moments together. lol
TMieSep 27, 2012 5:09 AM
May 6, 2013 5:02 AM

Jun 2012
Originally, I hated the ending, but after re-reading the manga, I thought it was very fitting. One of the main things in xxxholic is obsessions, and while some may argue that Watanuki was just in love with Yuuko and that is why he waited for her so long, I think (like many others) that it was an obsession. I'm sure he loved her too, but I think it became an obsession after she dissapeared, perhaps it became even stronger because of his fear of forgetting her. Could also be that he was obsessed with the idea of her, rather then her as a person... I think his obession was having a parent, since it is one of the things he didn't have growing up (and while he probably was/is in love with her, I think she was a mother figure to him before he thought of her as a lover).

I also believe CLAMP when they said that Watanuki was happy at the end (and so was everyone else in their own way, and no-one can really blame Watanuki for not living a life THEY wanted him to live, plus you can't force someone to love another person, so I think it's rather realistic that it remained a onesided love circle). Happiness really does look different from person to person, and while obsessions often affect your life negatively, it doesn't always have to be the case. People say I have my obsessions, but I never felt like they made me unhappy, in fact I think I'm very happy most of the time, so I can understand why, despite it all, Watanuki was happy in the end of Rou, so no matter what ending we will get in Rei, I think I will still consider the Rou one as the "official" one.
May 12, 2013 5:15 PM
Aug 2012
this ending does seem a bit of a joke that all doumeki family are allways the same and how hes lost track of time whilst waiting i guess the egg is someway of them continuing the series if they ever want to. the dream of yuuka is important as it means hes closer to meeting her again.
Sep 18, 2013 9:24 PM

Nov 2007
Overall, i enjoyed this series. it may not be a happy ending and it may feel rushed especially the last chapter, still, i really loved it. The dream was nice, :) the butterfly freed the bird. The meaning was really lovely. and Finally, even in dream, Watanuki was able to see her again.

Indeed, it left us a lot of questions but my main point there is Watanuki live up to His and Yuuko~san's wish, that is to continue living and waiting for Yuuko~san to come back even though he knows that she won't anymore.
Nov 29, 2014 3:55 PM
Jul 2014
The ending I feel was somewhat appropriate given the nature of the last few chapters.... it wasn't so much surprising as it was saddening for me. That Watanuki seems to be "alone" once again... I don't feel that Doumeki's descendants can really replace our first Doumeki, with whom Watanuki shares blood and an eye with. I was also made sad by Watanuki's changes after Yuuko died.. he became quieter and less prone to his random outbursts which were the comedic relief throughout the story..... All in all the manga seemed to somber towards the ending, and though the people at Clamp say that Watanuki is happy in his decision, I (and I'm sure other followers of xxxHolic) am deeply saddened by it.

I can't accept that our Watanuki is going to spend the rest of his life waiting with only Doumeki's descendants for company (as Makono and the girls don't make many appearances towards the end) and the hope of meeting Yuuko again (which is clearly not going to happen based on his dream.) IT'S JUST ALL WAY TOO SAD given the silly and happy atmosphere of, basically, the rest of the manga. Also, Himawari getting a husband, even after we find out that Watanuki does share a mutual love for her... After this I was kind of hoping that, hey, maybe Watanuki might find a partner in Kohane who became really beautiful but no. The fact that we don't know what happens to Kohane, besides getting old and becoming beautiful and what-not, is similarly disappointing. Doumeki had a follow through in the form of his descendants, why not Kohane-chan!!!!!!??

I am way too sad. I would hope there would be some kind of follow up to help my fellow heavy hearted fans but it's been several years since the end of the series (I've finished it just now). Poor Watanuki, who became way emotionally distant after the death of Yuuko, and poor Doumeki and basically poor everybody who (in my eyes) didn't receive a proper sending off for the ending of what could have been a perfect series.
Dec 4, 2014 7:17 AM
Mar 2014
katsbad6 said:
The ending I feel was somewhat appropriate given the nature of the last few chapters.... it wasn't so much surprising as it was saddening for me. That Watanuki seems to be "alone" once again... I don't feel that Doumeki's descendants can really replace our first Doumeki, with whom Watanuki shares blood and an eye with. I was also made sad by Watanuki's changes after Yuuko died.. he became quieter and less prone to his random outbursts which were the comedic relief throughout the story..... All in all the manga seemed to somber towards the ending, and though the people at Clamp say that Watanuki is happy in his decision, I (and I'm sure other followers of xxxHolic) am deeply saddened by it.

I can't accept that our Watanuki is going to spend the rest of his life waiting with only Doumeki's descendants for company (as Makono and the girls don't make many appearances towards the end) and the hope of meeting Yuuko again (which is clearly not going to happen based on his dream.) IT'S JUST ALL WAY TOO SAD given the silly and happy atmosphere of, basically, the rest of the manga. Also, Himawari getting a husband, even after we find out that Watanuki does share a mutual love for her... After this I was kind of hoping that, hey, maybe Watanuki might find a partner in Kohane who became really beautiful but no. The fact that we don't know what happens to Kohane, besides getting old and becoming beautiful and what-not, is similarly disappointing. Doumeki had a follow through in the form of his descendants, why not Kohane-chan!!!!!!??

I am way too sad. I would hope there would be some kind of follow up to help my fellow heavy hearted fans but it's been several years since the end of the series (I've finished it just now). Poor Watanuki, who became way emotionally distant after the death of Yuuko, and poor Doumeki and basically poor everybody who (in my eyes) didn't receive a proper sending off for the ending of what could have been a perfect series.
Kohane loved Watanuki. However she agreed to marry Doumeki and have children so that the decendents would keep Watanuki company as to not make him lonely, and keep him safe, since Doumeki's bloodline is powerful. This is all because Watanuki wanted to stay in the shop forever so Kohane couldn't really be with Watanuki. :( I was also really dissapointed when they didn't get together. Doumeki should have used the egg that Yuko gave him earlier to erase his memories of Yuko-san, since it's already impossible for her to reunite with Watanuki.. I'm also curious as of what happenned to the warashi-spirit that had a crush on watanuki.
Mar 25, 2017 2:07 PM

Aug 2013
Yeah this ending was pretty weak, and more then likely all of the original cast is dead which must suck for Watanuki. I'm so conflicted on how to view this series as a whole, the start was amazing and the done in one's are usually top-notch but post Tsubasa ending this manga just didn't have the same magic.
linkjokerMay 7, 2017 9:22 PM
Feb 12, 2019 12:56 AM

Sep 2017
over 100 years has passed, doumeki has died and he passed the egg to his great grand son. that 4 generations later, hell. what the hell was this..he is gonna stay there till he dies isn't he? time to read the squeal..

edit: sequels didn't really clear anything either.

reading other posts, i can get along with a ending a little better.. though it bothers me that watanuki never moved on, moving on is not equal to forgetting people you once cherished..and it seems even in dead he won'r be able to see yuuko.
SalamakFeb 12, 2019 10:26 AM
May 16, 2020 12:38 AM
Nov 2014
I'm in the minority here, but I actually liked the ending. I a huge fan of downer endings. Watanuki not meeting Yuuko even after 100 years and the twist that Shizuka was long gone had me floored. Overall I liked it a bit more than Tsubasa.
8/10
Accelerator48May 16, 2020 12:45 AM
Dec 29, 2020 12:04 PM

Jan 2013
so this is how 100 years of simping ends up. nb but also ng.
Mar 22, 2021 4:29 PM
May 2010
Well that was the weirdest ending to a manga I have ever read, Tsubasa's was much more fulfilling. it all started so light-hearted and silly
but then it got so dreary much like how tsubasa got edgier... can't help but think Holic was being held back by tsubasa.
I did enjoy reading holic though, just thought the story telling was very indirect? unlike Tsubasa's which was quite direct, Oh well enough comparing.

Some of the less interesting chapters did had some good take-aways but it was at its best
when it was focusing on the characters which was halfway into story, after a certain character disappeared
it felt like it most of the chapters before this one didn't really do much they just didn't want to end it yet but ended up rushing
I wish they explained some things better cuz I felt like I could barely understand it.

I forgot about the zashiki warashi but it seems Watanuki will be forever alone with some company from Doumeki's descendants?
At the very least this was open ended enough that I can continue shipping Watanuki and Doumeki...
(or his descendant??? atleast they get along LOL nothing beats the original though)

Somewhere between a 7 and an 8/10 from me, its not too bad but requires and acquired taste to fully appreciate it.
Also weird how the official release ends at chapter 109, wonder if delrey/kodansha cut chapters or they were really poor at explaining
things but I doubt that its more likely they combined chapters cuz some were noticeably longer
and if they cut things I think fans would have noticed by now.
ArtemisMeikoMar 22, 2021 4:47 PM
Oct 25, 2022 6:02 AM
Jan 2019
just because an ending makes you sad or feel pain does not mean that it is a bad ending?

I personally thought it was a beautifully-romantic (yes, *somewhat* tragic) ending for Watanuki and Yuko - the eternal longing and desire to meet again is so tragically romantic (and very in-keeping with themes from both xxxHOLIC AND Tsubasa); it's beautiful
Mar 17, 3:29 AM

Dec 2017
Reply to celestain
just because an ending makes you sad or feel pain does not mean that it is a bad ending?

I personally thought it was a beautifully-romantic (yes, *somewhat* tragic) ending for Watanuki and Yuko - the eternal longing and desire to meet again is so tragically romantic (and very in-keeping with themes from both xxxHOLIC AND Tsubasa); it's beautiful
@celestain it is a bad ending

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» How many chapters does this have?

Zaldun - Aug 22, 2018

7 by StewedBeefHaunch »»
Apr 7, 10:38 PM

» How to continue xxxholic?

CrystalKing - Aug 9, 2023

2 by n7pidgey »»
Aug 10, 2023 8:07 AM

» Manga Price Gouging

Kairoku - Jul 27, 2013

2 by AstarionAncunin »»
Oct 13, 2022 7:09 AM

» omnibus release quality

elgatosaika - Dec 1, 2021

2 by elgatosaika »»
Jan 3, 2022 7:54 AM

Poll: » xxxHOLiC Chapter 48 Discussion

Naivette - Jul 3, 2012

1 by ArtemisMeiko »»
Mar 7, 2021 4:05 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.