Forum Settings
Forums
New
Kaiji vs. Akagi? (the shows, not the characters)
Jun 4, 2008 3:20 PM
Nov 2007
I'm just curious what the result will be....
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jun 5, 2008 11:40 AM

Jun 2007
Kaiji wins at being a real man in a way Akagi can never be.
Shameless Blog Plugging: animetics.net
Jun 9, 2008 9:31 PM

Jun 2007
without a doubt akagi read the end of the manga. i can't spoile it for you but akagi definatly is teh better man.
Check out my podcast here
Jun 9, 2008 9:48 PM

Jun 2007
I've been hearing a lot about the Akagi manga, is it actually over? My current guess for the ending is that Akagi surpasses the fatal blood extraction amount but somehow lives through sheer will (it seems like something he would do).
Jun 24, 2008 10:31 PM

Sep 2007
Torisunanohokori said:
Kaiji wins at being a real man in a way Akagi can never be.

Okay, I like Kaiji, but 'being a true man' doesn't count crying all the time and letting yourself get in all these debts.

Anyway, they are both awesome and truly GAR people.
Jun 25, 2008 6:17 PM

Apr 2008
When you say that kaiji wins at being a man, are you talking about the obviously stupid Kaiji? or the "brave" persistent, but still idiotic Kaiji? i would say that Akagi beats Kaiji at being a man, in every possible way.

Kaiji is foolishly brave. Akagi is brave in a smart way...

Jun 26, 2008 2:37 PM

Jun 2007
Kaiji being occaisionally weak is hat makes him a real (as in istic) man, whereas Akagi´s endless unflappability is what makes him a "real" man. Don´t get me wrong, I like both. But I would definately have to say that Kaiji is better than Akagi because he manages his victories despite his flaws. Akagi´s not particularly brave or cowardly, he just always has situations under his control, with the one exception of ep 14. Kaiji´s not an idiot, but he is fallible. So, for that matter, is Akagi (though rarely). Kaiji´s fallibility is subject to pressures that all of us would probably feel in the same situation. Akagi never feels any real pressure. So I´d have to say that, for standing and winning (mostly) against this pressure, Kaiji is a better, and more realistic, man.
Jun 23, 2009 12:31 PM
Nov 2007
Huh, I posted this ages ago and then missed most of the posts.

I am with Tori. Akagi is not an interesting character to me because he lacks the flaws that give a character real depth. He is a sort of force of nature that really only exists in fiction. To a point, it's fun watching him maintain control and crush his opponents, but not that meaningful. Kaiji, who is able to overcome his many weaknesses and find strength deep down when he needs to, is much more interesting and admirable. And I love the sheer amount he cries. He is, after all, a totally wretched human being, which is what made his noble actions and incredible cleverness so amazing.

In the end, of course, it's just a matter of personal taste. But I really like heroes who rise to the occasion, instead of always being above the occasion to begin with.
Aug 18, 2009 7:14 AM

Mar 2009
I've seen only several episodes of Akagi. It didn't have such impact like Kaiji had within 4-5 episodes :)
That's why my vote goes for Kaiji .
Jan 13, 2010 8:44 AM

Jan 2008
Torisunanohokori said:
I've been hearing a lot about the Akagi manga, is it actually over? My current guess for the ending is that Akagi surpasses the fatal blood extraction amount but somehow lives through sheer will (it seems like something he would do).

He got a blood transfusion at the doc they stopped at where he picked up some drinks before he went to the mansion.
Sep 12, 2010 4:21 PM

Feb 2010
Kaiji actually had to work hard to win, while for Akagi winning came naturally. That's why I think Kaiji is the more interesting character.

But still, they are both incredible characters, two of my favorites of all time.
Jul 23, 2013 2:13 PM

Aug 2011
Kaiji, absolutely. It's better and more original in every terms, even though I love both.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Poll: » Who will win?

Desert_Punk - Apr 16, 2008

1 by Akagi »»
Jul 17, 2009 10:26 PM

» RAW Episode 18 Discussion

Torisunanohokori - Feb 5, 2008

4 by Wickio »»
Feb 21, 2008 8:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.