Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 »
Aug 20, 2010 8:46 AM

Aug 2008
OrochiPL said:
Day2Dream said:
Going to have to lower the score for this anime now sadly. They added unnecessary things that made it stupid...
It's still better than E8.

Only slightly.
Aug 20, 2010 8:58 AM
Jun 2008
burntlettuce said:
But now the zombies themselves are throwing in fan-service? Honestly...>.>/
It a fashion show between the zombie and the sexy gals kinda remind of the appearance of lady gaga .You need ugly background to bring the true beauty of women.I hate lady gaga,so...
Aug 20, 2010 9:03 AM

Dec 2007
SpudUK said:
Day2Dream said:
Going to have to lower the score for this anime now sadly. They added unnecessary things that made it stupid...

...Such as?

Most of it is mentioned already in the various topics. Though the main thing that I didn't like was the shotgun acting like a canon...

OrochiPL said:
It's still better than E8.

No. It was most amusing to see people ranting on at E8 =P.
Aug 20, 2010 1:38 PM

Apr 2009
i loved this episode<3(:

Aug 20, 2010 5:42 PM

Jul 2010
HotD has always been a fanservice series since it was first conceived.

I liked this episode. What subs are you guys using? I used to use Commie but I guess they dropped the series?
Aug 20, 2010 5:47 PM

Dec 2007
singAlong said:
HotD has always been a fanservice series since it was first conceived.

I liked this episode. What subs are you guys using? I used to use Commie but I guess they dropped the series?

I'm using gg. They're as uncensored as the show can get and, aside from a few typos, are really good quality-wise.

Anyways, Takashi's facial reactions when the little girl peed were perfect. Made me laugh out loud. XD

Now, if only this show wouldn't confuse my boner so much...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 20, 2010 11:10 PM

Jan 2010
Fuck me, imagine a perfect cosplay of Saeko.
How hot would that fucking be?
LOL.
Aug 21, 2010 12:14 AM

Aug 2009
Sucrose said:
LOL.

not so hot
Aug 21, 2010 12:25 AM

Aug 2010
TensaiShonen said:
Sucrose said:
LOL.

not so hot
LOL xD

Aug 21, 2010 12:34 AM

Jan 2010
TensaiShonen said:
Sucrose said:
LOL.

not so hot

Perfect would mean the chick is also some hot asian.
Aug 21, 2010 12:43 AM

Aug 2009
Sucrose said:
TensaiShonen said:
Sucrose said:
LOL.

not so hot

Perfect would mean the chick is also some hot asian.

could you picture her in an apron?
Aug 21, 2010 1:03 AM

Jan 2010
^That one works for me.
Definitely LOL
Aug 21, 2010 1:15 AM

Aug 2009
and here we have Hirano

live version
Aug 21, 2010 4:53 AM

Feb 2009
Kinda to much fan service i'm starting to dislike this show each ep :/
Aug 21, 2010 6:34 AM

Nov 2007
I agree the gainaxing is too much >_> it's making me lose all respect for the female characters

Aug 21, 2010 9:57 AM

Jul 2008
Hirano is probably thinking ''Well a loli is fine too".
Aug 21, 2010 12:03 PM

Feb 2010
noteDhero said:
sexiji said:

You're twisting what I said. My problem was not that they make wrong decisions, but that the conflict of making said decisions are tossed aside for the sake of fanservice and Takahi's harem.

Numerous plot devices exist solely to perpetuate the fanservice and Takashi's harem... I still don't see how that negates the entirety of HOTD's plot. Don't worry, though! Only seven episodes have been released. Much more of the characters goals, decisions, and scantily-clad bodies will be revealed down the road ;)

That doesn't address the simple fact that there is a lack of consistency in depicting characters which weakens the already aimless direction of the show. Combine that with the fact that fanservice is a main goal of the show, and I can't begin to understand how saying "there is no plot" is ridiculous. At best, the plot is terribly contrived (as you posture), but after seven episodes, I just can't be that blindly optimistic.

Aimless? You haven't sold me on that idea. Let's just say that we have different definitions of 'no plot.'

Have you seen Pitch Black? The plot of that movie is just as simple, but there's definitely a plot. Numerous characters make mistakes and are killed off along the way, all for the sake of plot advancement. They've got to survive this crazy world! Oh, the irony. The survival idea is somewhat similar to HOTD, except with bugs instead of zombies. HOTD's leads also have plot armor (so far), mainly so the director can keep framing most every scene to maximize fanservice (as Monad expertly cataloged in this post).

You could say, "That movie didn't have nearly the amount of fanservice as HOTD." Of course. Here's another example: Take a classic movie like Francis Ford Coppola's The Godfather. Now, stretch the story into a twelve-episode TV series. Add more female leads to create a Michael Corleone harem, write a catchy theme song, and add as much fanservice and violence as possible. Have you weakened the story? Probably. Is the show mostly about the violence and fanservice? Definitely. Is there still a plot? Obviously. It's been weakened, and you'd be able to talk about how laughably contrived it is at times, but the plot's still there.

As you can tell from my carefree attitude, all that puzzles me is your idea that you think the show has 'no plot.' I'm not even close to being optimistic about HOTD: It's laughably terrible at times, but tolerated in the same way I tolerate MST3K movies. And yes, Highschool of the Dead is 1000x better than The Giant Gila Monster.
sexijiAug 21, 2010 1:00 PM
Aug 21, 2010 3:08 PM

Aug 2008
It amazes me that I can explicitly say one thing (in this case, ask the question "Is this a plot?") and have that be misunderstood to have me saying, declaratively, "There is no plot."

With the fact that we do have a goal in the show to stay alive, but that character decisions don't support that, and the resulting conflict is not examined, and that there is an admission from manga readers that there is a lack of ultimate direction, and that fanservice increasingly becomes the content of the show (which results in the show being dramatically aimless), I think asking if there is a plot is a valid point of discussion.

No. I haven't seen Pitch Black, so that analogy falls on deaf ears.

On to the Godfather example. I'm assuming you mean just the first move. If you take a 175 minute movie and decide to turn it into a once a week 30 minute (22 minus openings, endings, and commercials) televised show, that's enough content for 8 episodes. So, say the show is 12 episodes long, and you have 4 episodes of filler and fanservice. I think that greatly diminishes the quality of the series. One thing you're missing though, is that (I assume) you still have compelling characters and a definite story that is clearly going somewhere. So I would still definitely call it aimless if there is a recap in the fourth episode designed to fill time, but I agree that the plot is still there.

That's not HSotD. You're asking me to compare it to The Godfather in terms of story content, and that's laughable. We're at the point now where we could have filled the running time of the Godfather, and we don't have anything near the storyline. Now if I said the story would be aimless and largely diminished by if this were The Godfather, how should any rational person feel from HSotD?

That why I ask the question, "is there a plot?" It's a very valid discussion, and I see no logical reason to be dismissive of it.
Aug 21, 2010 3:12 PM
Jun 2010
TensaiShonen said:
and here we have Hirano

live version

The helmet is ugly on him.

Aug 21, 2010 4:30 PM

Feb 2010
noteDhero said:
It amazes me that I can explicitly say one thing (in this case, ask the question "Is this a plot?") and have that be misunderstood to have me saying, declaratively, "There is no plot."

Looking back at the post to which I originally replied:
noteDhero said:
Here's my problem:

What is HSotD's plot? Everyone keeps saying it has one, but they won't say what it is. I say that it is "Survive," but is that really a plot? We know that they are trying to get on the others side of the bridge to meet their families, but then what? As it is, the goal of the show is very unclear, except to paint the picture of a post-apocalyptic zombie-infested Japan and to show fanservice. That makes it more slice of life than anything else. And the bad kind of slice of life that tries to excuse not having a plot, because I like slice of life the most.

1. You ask, "Is survival really a plot?"
2. You mention it is "the bad kind of slice of life that tries to excuse not having a plot."

"Is survival really a plot? Highschool of the Dead is the bad kind of slice of life that tried to excuse not having a plot." Not having a plot. That's where I picked up your idea that you didn't think it had a plot.

You could easily wiki the storyline of Pitch Black, but I used it as an example of a simple survival plot. You could throw in any generic movie/series with survival as a theme. I mentioned it because HOTD is not the only show with survival from a ______ (epidemic) (attack) (etc) as its plot.

On to the Godfather example. I'm assuming you mean just the first move. If you take a 175 minute movie and decide to turn it into a once a week 30 minute (22 minus openings, endings, and commercials) televised show, that's enough content for 8 episodes. So, say the show is 12 episodes long, and you have 4 episodes of filler and fanservice. I think that greatly diminishes the quality of the series. One thing you're missing though, is that (I assume) you still have compelling characters and a definite story that is clearly going somewhere.

Don't forget that you need to fundamentally change the story in order to have a Michael Corleone harem of women as lead characters. I would agree that it would probably be diminished, but still 'going somewhere.'

So I would still definitely call it aimless if there is a recap in the fourth episode designed to fill time, but I agree that the plot is still there.

Yes, using a recap that early on was odd, and definitely a waste of time. I would have laughed if it only recapped fanservice.

That's not HSotD. You're asking me to compare it to The Godfather in terms of story content, and that's laughable.

No, it's not laughable. I'm asking you to compare an imaginary harem Godfather TV series to a current zombie harem TV series. Would you prefer an imaginary harem Night of the Living Dead instead? I was approaching the concept of 'plot' on a basic level: Does Example A have a plot? Does Example B have a plot? Whichever series is better is irrelevant; the whole point was to show that even if you take a series with a plot and fill it with extra scenes of fanservice & whatnot (like HOTD and many other animes), there's still a plot. That's my point: You asked, "Does HOTD have a plot?" and I said, "Yes, it does. It's contrived and laughable at times, but there's still a plot." We obviously don't know the ending, but to me, it's certainly going somewhere.

We're at the point now where we could have filled the running time of the Godfather, and we don't have anything near the storyline. Now if I said the story would be aimless and largely diminished by if this were The Godfather, how should any rational person feel from HSotD?

That why I ask the question, "is there a plot?" It's a very valid discussion, and I see no logical reason to be dismissive of it.

*shrugs* The fanservice scenes do slow things down, and there are numerous scenes that could be cut in order to better flesh out a gripping narrative, but I still see a storyline.
Aug 21, 2010 5:57 PM

Jun 2010
i think hirano lost so many blood cuz of the girls boobs/ass lol
EPIC NOSEBLEED!!! XD
Aug 21, 2010 8:51 PM
Aug 2010
I can't wait for Episode 8... looks like it will have a bit more Plot in it.
Aug 21, 2010 10:10 PM

Jan 2009
Troy_C said:
What? Plot? Surely you jest (‐^▽^‐)
Or well actually, some stuff should happen soon enough, so yeah, been looking forward to some things for a while now : >
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Aug 21, 2010 10:14 PM
Jul 2018
Interesting episode at least and she really had to go lol I would have told her to hold it
Aug 22, 2010 1:33 AM

Jun 2009
Oosran said:
Troy_C said:
Or well actually, some stuff should happen soon enough, so yeah, been looking forward to some things for a while now : >
Like.... they'll change clothes. :D
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Aug 22, 2010 3:40 AM

Jan 2009
OrochiPL said:
Oosran said:
Troy_C said:
Yeah, that seems possible, I can totally see that happening : D
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Aug 22, 2010 4:16 AM

Jun 2009
Oosran said:
OrochiPL said:
Oosran said:
Troy_C said:
Actually, it's inevitable. Don't remember manga anymore?
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Aug 22, 2010 4:24 AM
Aug 2010
I havent read the Manga, i strolled past the Highschool of the dead and though it was awesome.
Aug 22, 2010 8:35 AM

Jan 2009
OrochiPL said:
Oosran said:
OrochiPL said:
Oosran said:
Troy_C said:
Actually, it's inevitable. Don't remember manga anymore?
Yeah I know that, but it seems like reasonable "plot" as well, doesn't it?
Aug 22, 2010 4:56 PM

Feb 2010
so much nudity
Aug 22, 2010 7:43 PM

Feb 2009
This group is a match made in heaven! Hirano is so fucking bad ass he deserves some of the pussies in this show.
Aug 22, 2010 11:52 PM
Jul 2009
Yes the bouncing was kinda distracting.

I had to laugh when he said it didn't work like it was an anime but ffs he did some impossible shit (last episode) before.

Now to watch episode 8. Back to back for me!
Aug 23, 2010 12:47 AM
Nov 2009
Awesome episode, the peeing scene was hilarious, Takashi's face was priceless XD

Hirano was awesome in this episode, I'm beginning to really like him, he certainly seems to be having fun ^^

Aug 23, 2010 12:51 AM

Jan 2008
haha so much fanservice in this episode. Very cool though.

The peeing scene was a little awkward but I think it definitely adds to Takashi's character. It makes him seem that much more of a better person. "Look at the hell I had to go through to save someone that I didn't even know, I had to leave the safety of the house, ride a motorcycle through hundreds of zombies, kill about 10 more with this piece of curved iron, carry you and a dog along a foot wide wall with hundreds of zombies clawing at my feet, AND you pissed on me. Despite all that I never once complained and still saved you and the dog." During a zombie Apocalypse would anyone really go through this? Probably not, just adds to Takashi's character and makes him look like a Saint.
Aug 23, 2010 6:38 AM
Feb 2010
The 7th ED for any1 who wants:
| "In my time, the wowd is WUINED AND WIFEWESS!."

- Paradox (Yugioh: Bonds Beyond Time Abridged Movie) |

Aug 23, 2010 7:51 AM

Dec 2009
Phantokan said:
The 7th ED for any1 who wants:

Great stuff.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Aug 23, 2010 6:47 PM

Mar 2008
that dog is funny ^_^
Aug 24, 2010 6:02 AM

Aug 2009
THE EPISODE WAS THE BEST!!!

HIRANO IS SO BADASS , AND THIS EPISODE WAS SO FUNNY!!!!

LOVED IT! ;D
Aug 24, 2010 7:26 AM
Jul 2008
Somebody kill that damn dog!
Lets see, sound drawsthe zombies in so let me bravely bark my ass off and "protect" you. . . . . dumbass.

fanservice = eh...
not watching the show for that, and if you ask me it's so rediculous that it's more of a comedy aspect than anything.

rescue scene = "DUDE IT'S A LITTLE GIRL ! !"

Hirano = Does anyone else love how he totally geeks out every time he gets to touch/use/look at any new firearm?! lol
otaku are everywhere
Aug 24, 2010 10:37 AM

Mar 2008
Who else thinks it's incredibly stupid not to develop the characters and make them just bounce their boobs?
Aug 25, 2010 11:36 AM
Apr 2010
WOW..the way everyone boobs poped and gyrate from the slightest movements made me forget about everything else.
And what's up with the shot of the sleeping cat on the ledge?..lol
Sent with Mal Updater
Aug 27, 2010 7:30 AM

Jul 2010
Takashi and Kouta were really kicking ass this episode, I love it!

Aug 27, 2010 7:40 AM
Feb 2010
Onyxthegreat said:

U forgot Saeko >.<
| "In my time, the wowd is WUINED AND WIFEWESS!."

- Paradox (Yugioh: Bonds Beyond Time Abridged Movie) |

Aug 27, 2010 8:55 AM

Jul 2010
Phantokan said:
Onyxthegreat said:

U forgot Saeko >.<

Indeed, later on her too! =)

Aug 28, 2010 8:20 PM

Sep 2008
Awesome awesome awesome awesome!

Episodes like this are why I'm watching this awesome anime.
Aug 28, 2010 10:41 PM

Oct 2008
Hirano cracks me up with his reactions.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Aug 29, 2010 11:56 AM
Feb 2010
This episode has to be the best of HoTD!!! I was frigging pumped from the rescue scene. I say "it's Hero Time" from watching that.
Goodbye, Fullmetal Alchemist
Aug 31, 2010 12:19 PM

Oct 2009
Some nice action in this one. Almost no minute without boobs lol
Aug 31, 2010 12:40 PM
Jun 2007
Love HoTD manga & anime!
Fan service and Zombies just PERFECT i tell you!!!
Sep 1, 2010 6:33 AM

Mar 2010
This anime would be so great if it wasn't full of boobs and buttocks..I mean the action is great, it evokes so many feelings, it shows the unstable human nature and so on..Why can't it focus on all that and reduce this perverted stuff..I am not conservative at all.I just think that when you want to be scared or moved or surprised you can't!Because there is a boob in your face going up and down and making 'boing boing' sound effects.
Pages (9) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Highschool of the Dead Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Aversa - Aug 29, 2010

542 by Hue_Enjoyer »»
Yesterday, 11:17 PM

» If Highschool of the Dead did NOT involve zombies

LAKool-AidGang - Jul 7, 2023

18 by CombatMagic »»
Apr 11, 8:18 PM

Poll: » Highschool of the Dead Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 11, 2010

461 by Hokage_the_7th »»
Apr 9, 5:34 AM

Poll: » Highschool of the Dead Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Sep 12, 2010

254 by gannoncannon55 »»
Mar 20, 7:02 PM

Poll: » Highschool of the Dead Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Sep 5, 2010

276 by gannoncannon55 »»
Mar 20, 12:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.