Forum Settings
Forums

How much vocab have you gained from all the anime you've watched?

New
Jun 28, 2007 2:38 PM

Jun 2007
Have you gained a little japanese vocabulary? Honestly, there are some words that are repeated in alot of animes that you can't help but remember.

What are the words that you pretty much know by heart now?
kei-cloneMay 6, 2008 4:01 PM

-Seigi-
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 28, 2007 2:50 PM

Jun 2007
I always remember the word for water from watching Elfen Lied.

Mizu - 水 - Water

Also I remember Good Evening from when Ilya shows up for the first time in Fate/Stay Night.

Konbanwa - こんばんわ - Good Evening

For some reason those stick out most in my mind.

[url=http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=327]*The Asuka Appreciation Club* Join Now![/url
Jun 28, 2007 2:55 PM

Mar 2005
quite a bit, but knowing only vocab doesn't allow you to speak japanese.
Jun 28, 2007 2:56 PM
Jun 2007
Not really, too busy reading the subs.
Jun 28, 2007 3:00 PM

Jun 2007
kei-clone said:

I know, ^_^

-Seigi-
Jun 28, 2007 3:41 PM

Nov 2004
kei-clone said:

indeed, i started some japanese learning stuff, didn't get far though, Hope i'll pull myself together to start for real one time =)
Jun 28, 2007 3:44 PM

Jun 2007
Yeah I got that Rosetta Stone program to help me with my japanese. I actually like it a lot. I'm sure I could benefit more from it if I had more time to devote to it but in the time that I've had it I've learned a lot. Anime really hasn't helped that much except for certain words or phrases. The program though has helped me identify words and phrases as the characters speak them which is pretty cool.

[url=http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=327]*The Asuka Appreciation Club* Join Now![/url
Jun 28, 2007 4:23 PM

Oct 2006
Kei said it best - I know quite a few Japanese words... sometimes enough to get a general idea of what's going on, but I have no idea how to put them together. And no grasp of kanji, katakana or hiragana
Jun 28, 2007 7:16 PM

Jan 2007
Krelian said:
Kei said it best - I know quite a few Japanese words... sometimes enough to get a general idea of what's going on, but I have no idea how to put them together. And no grasp of kanji, katakana or hiragana

Ditto here.
Jun 28, 2007 7:18 PM

Jan 2007
Okay, since not alot of people are really giving any "What words do you know by heart"... I WILL.

Konnichiwa. Yatta~. Yamete. <<--thanks to Edron, i hear that alot && think of yaoi. Gomennasai. Of course all the counting && the sans-chans. arigato gozaimasu. Demo.. Sukidayo <<--heard it alot in LOVELESS. onee, imouto, onii, okaasan, & otousan.

But those are all the basic ones. I know far more in school;; i just haven`t heard them in my anime watching. The subs basically catch my attention the whole time.

:DDD
Jun 28, 2007 9:36 PM

Jan 2007
I've been watching anime for over a decade and I have a japanese lexicon of less than 30 words. I can recognize certain words, but not many and usually out of context. My girlfriend is studying Japanese legitimately though so that may have something to do with it. Learning by proxy or whatnot. If she wasn't correcting me or throwing random info at me all the time, i'd probably know less than the pitiful amount I know. ^^;

I tend to hear the words (and I know i'm spelling them wrong) Hayaku, Ikuzo, hajime(in some form) benkyou, doushite, and the obvious honorifics or brother/sister equivalents a lot, but half the time knowing the words out of context ends up being a hindrance, as the way they're conjugated changes their meaning. -_-

Also, Aishiteruze, I know your name means something to the effect of "I love you" but am unsure what the "ze" implies. lol
woo.

Jun 28, 2007 9:47 PM

Jun 2007
NANI! - What. thats about it lol.

Jun 29, 2007 2:21 AM

Jun 2007
Twitchy_Fingah said:
Also, Aishiteruze, I know your name means something to the effect of "I love you" but am unsure what the "ze" implies. lol

Yeah, it does. My name is just part of the anime show, "Aishiteruze baby". ^_^

-Seigi-
Jun 29, 2007 7:43 AM

May 2007
kei-clone said:

Pretty much the same.

I can recognize a ton of more words now in japanese than before I started watching anime, but that's really about it.
Jun 29, 2007 7:46 AM

May 2007
Eh, for me, basic vocabularly like 'hei' is yes (did I spell that right?), suffixes like 'chan' and 'san' and e.t.c., but as kei-clone said, not enough that I really know the language. I'm hoping to actually learn Japanese one of these days ;)
Jun 29, 2007 9:54 AM

Jan 2007
Aishiteruze said:
Twitchy_Fingah said:

Yeah, it does. My name is just part of the anime show, "Aishiteruze baby". ^_^

I giggle at how you have a cutsey little shojo show as your username && then L, looking gloomy & pale. xDDD

Some more ones i know are the greetings too. Like Konbanwa, Ohayo, Hajimemashite & dozou yorishiku. plus doitashimashite `cause it`s fun to say xDD
Jun 29, 2007 10:17 AM

Aug 2006
I think if you've been watching anime long enough... you'll pick up on it...

I have the usual...

Nani? (what?)... ano (ummmm).... ohaio (good morning)... konnichiwa (good afternoon)... konbanwa (good evening)... mate (wait)... hai (yes)... di jobu (not sure if that's spelled right... it basically means "Are you ok?")... oyasumi (good night)

I'm sure there are others, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head... and yes... my daughters and I use a lot of this when speaking to each other... especially the "Nani?" and "Oyasumi"
Jun 29, 2007 11:30 AM

Apr 2007
hounddog said:
Krelian said:

Ditto here.

What he said.

Jun 29, 2007 12:16 PM

Apr 2007
PandaPuff said:
hounddog said:
Krelian said:

Ditto here.

What he said.

I'm the same
Jun 29, 2007 2:34 PM

Jun 2007
ive just finished saikano and now all i hear inside my head is "Gomen nasai" and "Gomen ne" arggggggg
Gomen nasai and Gomen ne are both used for "I'm sorry"
Jun 29, 2007 3:20 PM

Apr 2007
Chelle said:
Nani? (what?)... ano (ummmm).... ohaio (good morning)... konnichiwa (good afternoon)... konbanwa (good evening)... mate (wait)... hai (yes)... di jobu (not sure if that's spelled right... it basically means "Are you ok?")... oyasumi (good night)

Noelle_x3 said:
Konnichiwa. Yatta~. Yamete. Gomennasai. Of course all the counting && the sans-chans. arigato gozaimasu. Demo.. Sukidayo, onee, imouto, onii, okaasan, & otousan.

yes, yes, and the list goes on..
mizu, meshi, migu, kaizoku, kokoro, umi, ume, yume, watashi, anata, shi, shine, ikiru, janai, uso, usotsuki, daisuki, aishiteru, muri, shinigami, kami, gohan, sora, akai, ai, hoshi, koe, ningen, lolicon, gekai, itsumo, kumo, osoi, bakemono, mirai, shinjiteru, boku wa, ore wa, aho, baka, uragimono, mite, seki... and many more i must've forgotten. all this from anime watching, lol.
逃げちゃ駄目だ。
Jul 7, 2007 7:09 AM

Jul 2007
nihil said:
Chelle said:

Noelle_x3 said:
Konnichiwa. Yatta~. Yamete. Gomennasai. Of course all the counting && the sans-chans. arigato gozaimasu. Demo.. Sukidayo, onee, imouto, onii, okaasan, & otousan.

mizu, meshi, migu, kaizoku, kokoro, umi, ume, yume, watashi, anata, shi, shine, ikiru, janai, uso, usotsuki, daisuki, aishiteru, muri, shinigami, kami, gohan, sora, akai, ai, hoshi, koe, ningen, lolicon, gekai, itsumo, kumo, osoi, bakemono, mirai, shinjiteru, boku wa, ore wa, aho, baka, uragimono, mite, seki... and many more i must've forgotten. all this from anime watching, lol.

Okay I don't that many yet (notice the yet XD) I do know a couple and use them sometimes, like when I finally did something, I scream YATTA!!! ^_^ And I once used Hai when a teacher was checking the namelist....and he thought I was saying Haay O_o XD

Watching in a different language always helps improving foreign vocab.... (that prob... why my english vocab is bigger than with most of my classmates....don't want to brag or anything)
"If you die, I'll kill you!" - (one piece)

Jul 7, 2007 8:52 AM

Jul 2007
From watching quite a bit of anime i'm starting to know a lot of random words, but never enough to be able to fully understand what they're saying.
For example, when the promo for Devil May Cry came out (WOWOW fully released the first episode on the web before airing it on TV), i watched it without subs. I didn't know exactly what was going on , but still i could understand a bit of what they were saying, so i knew the basics of the story.

Someday i should try really learning japanese though, since just watching anime will never give me a really good grasp of the language. I know it's possible with more simple languages(my father fully learned english by watching english TV shows when he was young, before that he only knew french), but i think japanese is a bit too complicated to learn just like that.
Jul 7, 2007 9:12 AM

Jun 2007
I've learned a few words but its still nice to hear some English now & then (even heavily accented engrish). If anyone has seen the last arc of Black Lagoon you'd get to hear Revy speak some engrish.

Jul 7, 2007 9:34 AM

May 2007
Engrish is the best thing EVAH. Japanese people (nihonjin) should switch to Engrish as their national language. XDDD

Just kidding, of course. (^o^)

On subject, I do feel like watching anime/imported films has helped me to pick up vocabulary in several languages (because while I read the subtitles, I actually listen to what people are saying). I think that if I decided to actually study a language and watch films/tv from that country, it would help me to learn that language.

Speaking of anime specifically, I've gotten to the point where sometimes I know what they're saying without having to read the subtitle, and sometimes I catch mistranslations or changes in what the character(s) are saying. Am I fluent? No. I know vocabulary, and certain phrases, but I can only hold a very boring conversation ;__; ("Hi! How are you? I am good! My name is ___. What is yours?") Same with Spanish. XD But I think if I actually applied myself and studied, with the help of anime/tv/films I could actually learn the language.

jobocan said:

Someday i should try really learning japanese though, since just watching anime will never give me a really good grasp of the language. I know it's possible with more simple languages(my father fully learned english by watching english TV shows when he was young, before that he only knew french), but i think japanese is a bit too complicated to learn just like that.

Maybe it's because English and French have enough similarities? I dunno. I don't think you can learn Japanese just by watching tv, true, but I think it can really help someone trying to learn.
ScrumYummyJul 7, 2007 9:38 AM
Jul 7, 2007 12:01 PM

Jul 2007
ScrumYummy said:
Maybe it's because English and French have enough similarities? I dunno. I don't think you can learn Japanese just by watching tv, true, but I think it can really help someone trying to learn.

I had french for 4 years at school, I find it nothing like english, but maybe that's me.....After 4 years I know like 10 to 15 things to say and they're all like where I live en who I am.....My parents decided that we are going to France for our holiday....how am I going to survive :S XD

But I've decided to learn japanese several months ago....and it has been going slowly, because I don't do much about it XD So a hint for people who want to learn it....make sure you have enough time and will to learn, else you won't learn it ever....^_^

Jul 7, 2007 3:29 PM

Dec 2006
Before I actually started learning japanese I was translating some simple songs so yeah, by hearing you can learn a lot. It was like when there was anime on RTL2 when I was a kid. My german was very good back then cause of the same reason ^^
Jul 7, 2007 4:37 PM

Jun 2007
Chelle said:
I think if you've been watching anime long enough... you'll pick up on it...

I have the usual...

I'm sure there are others, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head... and yes... my daughters and I use a lot of this when speaking to each other... especially the "Nani?" and "Oyasumi"

and, the japanese word for cute, I see, why, thank you, good bye, and many more... although I dont know how to spell it in japanese
Jul 8, 2007 1:56 AM

Jul 2007
ezpheranza said:
and, the japanese word for cute, I see, why, thank you, good bye, and many more... although I dont know how to spell it in japanese

Kawaii, naruhodo, doushite, arigatou, sayonara or mata ne, kakoii (cool) sumimasen/suman suman (pardon or excuse me or sorry...it has several meanings)

Was this what you ment? XD ^_^ ( I've got some of them from some dictionary thingie on the internet, so I'm not that smart O_o XD)

Jul 8, 2007 5:19 AM

Jan 2007
I'm pretty much on the level Chelle is, although I think I subconsciously know more. I'll be sitting at my computer with a fansub going on the big screen behind me and pick up on things here and there about whats going on.
"...Only fools stand up and really lay down their arms. No, not me, not when death lasts forever."

Jul 8, 2007 8:12 AM

Jul 2007
I've watched so much anime that somehow the japanese language has seeped it's way into my skull. I can understand spoken japanese, but if I try to speak it myself I get all confuzzled.

nihongo wa mada jyouzu ni hanasenai... benkyo suru yo~
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day..."
Jul 8, 2007 6:22 PM

Jun 2007
queenofautumn said:
Was this what you ment? XD ^_^ ( I've got some of them from some dictionary thingie on the internet, so I'm not that smart O_o XD)

yup (and Im worst, I was too lazy to look it up in the internet dictionary thing x3 )

I would like to learn jap. Im just going to keep watching anime in jap. and then teach myself x.o
Jul 8, 2007 8:30 PM

Apr 2007
everytime i come home, i say "tadaima".

damn otaku vices.
逃げちゃ駄目だ。
Jul 9, 2007 3:21 PM

Jul 2007
ezpheranza said:
queenofautumn said:

yup (and Im worst, I was too lazy to look it up in the internet dictionary thing x3 )

I would like to learn jap. Im just going to keep watching anime in jap. and then teach myself x.o

I know what you mean ;)

nihil said:

damn otaku vices.

lol, does anybody respond with okaeri, when you say that? XD would be funny if they did ^_^ It would be really funny if your pets did that.....okay I need sleep, I rambling...XD

Oyasuminasai!

Jul 9, 2007 6:45 PM

Apr 2007
queenofautumn said:
lol, does anybody respond with okaeri, when you say that? XD would be funny if they did ^_^ It would be really funny if your pets did that.....okay I need sleep, I rambling...XD

haha good idea, i should teach my gradma's parrot to talk "okaeri".
逃げちゃ駄目だ。
Jul 9, 2007 7:05 PM

Jul 2007
Now I can distinguish Kansaiben from regular Japanese when watching animes~~
Jul 9, 2007 7:23 PM

Oct 2006
I've learned tons of words, but very little grammar. ^_^; Still, knowing words is helpful in determining how accurate some subs are...I know enough now to be able to tell when a line is more loosely translated than literal. I'm slowly learning to read characters, and one of these days I'll find a program that's suitable for teaching me how to understand what I don't know...
Jul 9, 2007 7:34 PM

Jul 2007
queenofautumn said:
nihil said:
Chelle said:

Noelle_x3 said:

Watching in a different language always helps improving foreign vocab.... (that prob... why my english vocab is bigger than with most of my classmates....don't want to brag or anything)

mizu (water), meshi (food), migu (were you looking for 'meat'? If so, it's 'niku'), kaizoku (pirate), kokoro (mind, heart, or spirit), umi (sea), ume (plum/plumb tree), yume (dream), watashi (I, myself, polite/formal), anata (you, yourself, polite/formal), shi (Death/#4), shine (die), ikiru (live), janai (not), uso (lie), usotsuki (liar), daisuki (like very much), aishiteru (i love you), muri (impossible), shinigami (God of Death), kami (God), gohan (meal: Breakfast-asagohan, lunch-hirugohan, dinner-bangohan, snack-oyatsu), sora (sky), akai (red), ai (love), hoshi (star), koe (voice), ningen (human being, person-hito, people-hitotachi), lolicon (this is too obvious for me to answer), gekai (Physical world, world-sekai, other worlds-tasekai, everyday world-zokusekai, whole world-zensekai, this world/life-jinsei) , itsumo (always), kumo (cloud), osoi (slow), bakemono (monster), mirai (future), shinjiteru (i believe you), boku wa (i am, polite), ore wa (i am, arrogant(depends on use really but oh well)), aho (baka, atama warui), uragimono (traitor), mite (look), seki (house/seat)

boku wa tottemo taikutsu da na~ tanoshimasete kure yo... dare demo ii.. hayaku oide~ nanika shiyo...
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day..."
Jul 9, 2007 8:26 PM

Jul 2007
Omae! Nani menchi kitonnen??
^_^
Jul 10, 2007 5:40 AM

Jun 2007
queenofautumn said:
nihil said:
damn otaku vices.

lol, does anybody respond with okaeri, when you say that?

In addition to these, there are "Itekimasu" and "Iterashai", for when someone is leaving.
Jul 10, 2007 6:10 AM

Jul 2007
^^'''

Mitakunai! = don't look!
Tasukete! = Help!
Urusai ne = shut up
Konaide! = Don't get any closer!
Kaeshite! = Give back!

xD

and so on... It seems there are mostly strange phrases like these in my head -_-
Jul 30, 2007 1:29 PM

Jul 2007
Amethyst said:
^^'''

Mitakunai! = don't look!
Tasukete! = Help!
Urusai ne = shut up
Konaide! = Don't get any closer!
Kaeshite! = Give back!

xD

and so on... It seems there are mostly strange phrases like these in my head -_-
Don't wanna smartass your post here (or maybe I do, subconsciously :p), but mitakunai actually means "don't want to look". "Don't look" would be minai (from miru), I think. "Konai de" (from kuru) just means "don't come".
And as for phrases I pick up from anime, usually when I hear/recognize a word that I don't know .. I look it up in other places (books, dictionaries), especially the grammar of it and all, in regards of how it was used. Main reason being, since fansubs are made by people like you and me .. they're by far not perfect in translation, spelling and grammar. Stuff can be wrong .. and once you've learned something wrong, it's hard to get rid of it again, imo.
The only thing other than anime'ish phrases like "itadakimasu", "iterasshai" and stuff like that, where anime helped me memorzie it would be "neko mimi" (cat ears) .. after watching Tsukoyomi Moon Phase anime without fast forwarding the OP it just won't leave my head anymore :p

Edit: Funny example that happened to me: When in the early semesters of my Japanese classes the teacher asked for a translation of "asobimasu", someone who was also into anime answered her and said "to play!". "Play" however is an interpretation of it that's almost exclusively used in anime and it actually means to spend time or something like that. Owned by anime fansubs ;)

-M.
AwesmoeJul 30, 2007 1:39 PM
Jul 30, 2007 1:46 PM

Mar 2007
To many ppl trying to be smart here....

hazukashi = embarassed/embarassing
ookii na oshiri = big butt
oiishi = delicious
motto = more
itai = ouch
mite = look
onegai = please
yamete/yameru = stop it
-desu = "the act of being polite"
-sama = "somone higher than you (i.e. grandma, jesus, older sibling, etc)"

plz keep "corrections to a miniumum" ppl just want a reference not a fkn japanese class.

"What happens when we die?" I know that the ones who love us will miss us.
Jul 30, 2007 2:13 PM

Jul 2007
Arixx said:
I think I subconsciously know more. I'll be sitting at my computer with a fansub going on the big screen behind me and pick up on things here and there about whats going on.

i think i'm the same, i'll sometimes purposefully not look at the subs [or ill be watching a raw] and i will be surprised that i can follow a good deal of it

hmm, many people have mentioned stuff i would agree with... here's two more from my favorite character (Souske::FMP)

[i'm sorry if i'm butchering this... PM me to let me know what actual meaning is if you care]

youkai (Right away, alright, ok)
mondai-nai (no problem)

And for some reason I can't forget "mitai na" from wedding peach; i think it means "dont-cha know" [also udesanai -> i won't forgive you]

gawd this just shows how i should go actually study some japanese :/ [no time!]
Jul 30, 2007 2:21 PM

Jul 2007
HatedOn said:
plz keep "corrections to a miniumum" ppl just want a reference not a fkn japanese class.
So teaching people wrong stuff is ok? I know a few people who have learned plenty (correct) words and phrases from anime, with no or little help of other sources, that's great. My personal opinion is, however, different. How do people think about it? I don't think it's too off-topic to discuss this here, is it? If it is, just ignore the question :p

-M.
Jul 30, 2007 2:38 PM

Jul 2005
I've been studying japanese for 3 years now so I don't remember which words/sentences are learnt from anime x---x'
Jul 30, 2007 3:13 PM

Mar 2007
ugh thats why this thread died.... to many otakus trying to show off their intelligence.
i already haet you. a fun thread turns into a japanese class

yes that says haet

Aug 3, 2007 12:22 PM

Mar 2007
Wakannai! ---> I dont understand!!
Tsumannai! ---> Boring!!
Shinjinnai!! ---> I dont believe it!!

Aug 3, 2007 12:27 PM

Apr 2007
I cant spell it but I know the word for = Limit
Aug 3, 2007 12:40 PM

Mar 2007
Sandgolem said:
I cant spell it but I know the word for = Limit

genkai or gyokugen?

now for a lession in baka-ness ^_^
Baka jan! -->What an idiot!
Baka yarō! --> Stupid idiot!
Baka Mitai! --> Thats stupid.

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - Apr 23

37 by deg »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » whats the severity of social stigma for anime and its fans now a days?

deg - 7 minutes ago

0 by deg »»
7 minutes ago

» Which 3 unpopular anime from the late 90s-mid 00s would you recommend?

WitherThrakh - Apr 13

22 by Eziprez »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 43 minutes ago

8 by deg »»
14 minutes ago

» Advertise your favorite anime

Tannenbusch - 38 minutes ago

2 by alshu »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.