Forum Settings
Forums

Discuss books you are currently reading now? (MANGA EXCLUDED)

New
Pages (114) « First ... « 41 42 [43] 44 45 » ... Last »
Feb 7, 2010 6:29 PM

Mar 2008
I am the Messenger by Markus Zusak,
160 pages in and it's pretty awesome :]
Feb 7, 2010 8:50 PM

Feb 2010
I just finished reading "Tuesdays with Morrie" by Mitch Albom. Currently working on "the five people you meet in heaven" also by Mitch Albom.
Feb 8, 2010 5:02 AM

Apr 2009
Finished Dune yesterday and it was a nice read. Though I had a tough time at first getting used to Herberts way of writing (or the translators), I will try out the second book some time since the first's ending is just too open, moreover Arrakis is quite fascinating.

I'm going to start Ken Folletts Eye of the Needle next.
Feb 8, 2010 10:19 AM
Aug 2007
Am reading The Diving Bell and the Butterfly by Jean-Dominique Bauby.
Feb 8, 2010 11:56 AM

Jul 2008
Started re-reading Narnia- The Horse and His Boy.
I like it BUT DAMN YOU C.S LEWIS.
Where's the romance ffff.
Feb 8, 2010 4:02 PM

Aug 2009
I've just started reading Duma Key from Stephen King and I'm about to finish the book of a Hungarian author, Lenkei Gabor, its title would be translated as Uncensored Health
Feb 8, 2010 5:47 PM

Jan 2010
The Mysterious Mr. Quin by Agatha Christie.
Ah, I just love her detective stories. They're simply the best.
Feb 10, 2010 7:16 PM

Jul 2008
shuiyin said:
I just finished reading "Tuesdays with Morrie" by Mitch Albom. Currently working on "the five people you meet in heaven" also by Mitch Albom.

I got an autographed copy of "Have a Little Faith" =)

hehe

I am also currently reading "eat pray love" by Elizabeth Gilbert

I finished "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" by Frank Baum yesterday :)
Feb 11, 2010 10:12 AM
Feb 2010
Dexter by Design: Jeff Lindsay

Re-reading Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy: Douglas Adams

Putting off reading: Under the Dome by Stephen King. He's my fave Author ever so, I don't know i think im just putting it off because his outputs varied in quality so much lately. Will get round to it eventually
Feb 11, 2010 11:19 AM
Aug 2009
Don Juan by Byron.

I think it's not a book for veryone, no because of dificculty of this book, but somebody probably can find it boring ^^
Feb 11, 2010 12:22 PM

Feb 2010
Currently reading For Whom the Bell Tolls by Hemingway for a world history class. I'm only up to chapter 8 so I can't comment. I suppose it's okay so far.
Feb 11, 2010 1:17 PM

Jan 2010
"The Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy". It's been quite amusing so far.
Trolls. Can't live with them, can't live without them. Because they barge in to every thread YOU can find, that's why.
Feb 11, 2010 2:27 PM
Feb 2009
Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky. Its pretty much ok, although I really enjoy his love for details.
Feb 11, 2010 5:38 PM

Dec 2009
The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson. It's not as fast paced as Snow Crash, but it's a decent read nevertheless.
CardboardO-SanFeb 12, 2010 5:06 PM
Feb 12, 2010 11:04 AM

Jul 2009
I'm reading The Divine Comedy by Dante. I'm reading it for a class, but I've really gotten into it!
“It’s not so much that I care about what you’re doing, but the idiotic way you’re doing it.”
Vincent Valentine

Feb 13, 2010 11:17 AM

Nov 2007
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Luiz Zafon,
96 pages in and it's quite interesting.
Feb 13, 2010 12:03 PM

Dec 2007
madbrilliant said:
I'm reading The Divine Comedy by Dante. I'm reading it for a class, but I've really gotten into it!

Ok guys, your translation to English must be really interesting. And simplified. Seriously, this was the most boring book I have ever read in years, had to read it aloud in the middle of the street to get through it. End every two words there was a foot note about who were they talking about. Reading the footnotes was probably the most interesting part of the thing.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Feb 14, 2010 1:46 PM
Feb 2010
Just started reading Under the Dome by Stephen King (finished Dexter in the Dark. Good book, but Jeff Lindsay does NOT know how to end a book).
Also reading Angel: After the Fall Volume 1 (Graphic Novel). Girlfriend Bought it for me for Valentines day (Best Girlfriend Ever :-)
Feb 14, 2010 3:55 PM

Feb 2010
I just recently finished "Tuesdays with Morrie - by Mitch Albom" and now I'm currently working on "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" also by Mitch Albom. It's honestly feels like I'm reading the way I should live my life.
Feb 14, 2010 8:07 PM

Aug 2009
Just finished reading Acheron. It's a book from the Dark Hunter series (not that I have read any of the others)

Damn that was a good book. Read it straight through from start to finish and it only took me 10 hours. Great mix of history and myths. Really the book is one big melting pot of ancient Gods, Demons, Vampire etc etc and how they all tie in to one mans story. If your into a bit of darkness (which there is a plenty) and a little bit of romance mixed in then this is heaven.
Feb 15, 2010 10:34 AM

Sep 2009
Sunshine by Robin McKinley -- As far as vampire books go, this is 100x better than Twilight (tho, is that really saying much?).

The Sun Also Rises by Hemingway -- Second time. Dammit, what English teacher assigns an essay on a book you were supposed to have read 7 months ago?

On the Beach by Nevil Shute -- Because nuclear apocalypse.
Feb 15, 2010 11:58 AM
Aug 2007
Currently reading: Fledgling by Octavia E. Butler and A Prayer For Owen Meany by John Irving.
Feb 16, 2010 12:35 PM

Jan 2007
I am reading The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, incredibly entertaining so far but i don't find the main heroine as likable and fascinating as most people who have read this book do, i care a lot more for other characters.
Feb 17, 2010 4:35 PM
Oct 2009
Dracula by Bram Stoker
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
In a Glass Darkly by Sheridan La Fanu (I skipped ahead to Carmilla and will read the other stories when I'm done XD)
and a friend of mine is forcing me to read the Darren Shan saga. >.> I'm currently on the fourth book, Vampire Mountain.
Feb 21, 2010 9:12 AM

Feb 2009
apocalyptic_cake said:

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

I don't know why I'm reading this... but as far as I have read I find it ok.
Feb 21, 2010 10:02 AM

Nov 2009
The Vampire Lestat- Anne Rice (Must say, I am REALLY obsessed with the series)

To Kill a Mockingbird- Harper Lee (Good so far)

The Catcher in The Rye- J.D. Salinger (For the 14 time...I miss him >< )

R.I.P J.D. Salinger <3
Feb 21, 2010 1:23 PM

Nov 2008
The Piano Tuner by Pascal Mercier.

After having re-read Night Train, it's time I start on his debut work..
(But, I gotta be honest here, right now I prefer to watch a little anime, hahaa.)
Feb 21, 2010 3:11 PM

Aug 2009
I'm reading a 19th century Hungarian book right now, the author is "Mikszáth Kálmán" and its title is "Új (=New) Zrínyiász". The title is made from "New Ilias" and the name of a historical person, Zrínyi. It is about a patriotic lord who died in the 15th (?maybe) century together with his men while protecting a fortress from the Turks. Then one of the archangels or whoever makes a mistake and they are resurrected in the 19th century. It is quite funny, like for example how they mistake the train for a monster and they want to fight it. :)
Feb 21, 2010 3:11 PM

Jan 2010
I'm going to read 1/2 Prince again
or some other yaoi manga
Sig deleted for being too large.
Mar 19, 2010 8:01 PM
Dec 2007
The Hunger Games. My aunt recommended it to me so I decided to read it. I'm almost finished with it. Not my kind of book -_-"
Mar 19, 2010 8:39 PM

Sep 2009
Currently reading Alice in Wonderland because of the movie & all.
Really want to read the Boogiepop series but it's difficult to buy them here, so I'm waiting for my friend who's studying in a different country to buy it for me =)
Mar 19, 2010 10:24 PM

Feb 2009
I'm currently reading Eeeee Eee Eeee by Tao Lin. It's kind of strange.
HSROSE. HOSRE. HORSE HORSE HORSE HORSE.
Mar 19, 2010 11:22 PM

Sep 2009
Currently reading Catch-22 because I finally bought the book. It's been interesting so far.
Mar 20, 2010 4:42 AM

Dec 2007
Finally finished everything I was reading! I'm happy about that.

I started yesterday Histoires de Vampires et Morts Vivants (in the original French because the title seems silly in English: Stories about Vampires and Zombies) by Alexandre Dumas
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Mar 20, 2010 5:06 AM

Sep 2009
1Zz ReAd1nG tW1L1GhT Cuz iTs LYk Maiii FaVA BuK

not reading a book, but im researching surrealist art techniques atm for my art class which, though interesting, takes a bit of reading
Mar 20, 2010 5:10 AM

Aug 2009
I just finished Handle With Care by Joudi Picoult...god it was so depressing. Extremely meaningful and emotional at the same time.
Not my type but it's beautiful.

Gonnas start on Agatha Christie next. Now THAT's my type.
Mar 20, 2010 6:01 PM

Mar 2010
Just finished FANG by James Patterson. <3
Made me cry, because I am such a softy.

Now I'm finishing Looking for Alaska by John Green. (;
Currently watching: Naruto Shippuuden.

" I'm not a coward - only human."
Mar 21, 2010 12:29 AM

Apr 2009
Finally finished up the Foundation trilogy, which I enjoyed enough to put I, Robot on the reading list. Parts of it are a little dated, but it's genre-defining science fiction with a strong sense of history, and I could really get used to Asimov's sparse writing style. The occasional hints of snarky atheism don't hurt, either.

New projects are The Neverending Story and Flowers in the Attic, both at the insistence of the same friend (who neither is nor--to my knowledge--ever was a teenage girl, making the second recommendation fairly hilarious).
Mar 21, 2010 12:47 AM

Dec 2009
Anything from Terry Brooks, such as any given book from the Shannara Epic. That guy's the man.
I really couldn't be bothered to come up with a clever signature at this time. So right now I will go ahead and say nay and move on with my business
Mar 21, 2010 5:03 AM

May 2009
Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson.

I picked it up because the synopsis mentions something about 'modern-day samurai' and my brother recommended it.
So far, I'm not sure I like it, but I'll keep at it. The language is a bit, uh, punk-speak, I guess, but the analogies are crazy awesome. The main character is a sword-wielding hacker who calls himself Hiro Protagonist.

Yup, Hiro Protagonist.
Mar 21, 2010 5:23 AM

Dec 2009
Now I'm reading "Krzyżacy" ("The Knights of the Cross") by polish noblist Henryk Sienkiewicz. Actually, I hate that kind of books, but I must read it for school.

Krzyżacy tells the story of the young poor nobleman Zbyszko of Bogdaniec, who with his uncle Maćko of Bogdaniec is returning from a war against the order of the Teutonic Knights ("Knights of the Cross") in Lithuania. In a tavern inn he falls in love with the lovely Danusia. The history of the actual German Order of the Teutonic Knights, which from the 13th to the 16th century controlled large parts of the Baltic Sea coast, and its defeat in the Battle of Tannenberg (1410)/ Battle of Grunwald by Poles and Lithuanians serves as the backdrop for the story. The novel also focuses extensively on medieval life and customs in both the cities and the country in medieval Poland.

It IS the most boring book I ever read. I just want to stop reading it.
"I'm not small, I just live in a big world."
Mar 22, 2010 3:26 AM

Sep 2007
Poland gets more interesting around World War 2. You know that cavalry you're reading about? Well they used the same cavalry to try and fight some Nazis with tanks. History tends to get a bit exaggerated at that point, which led to some Nazi paintings of spear wielding polish cavalrymen charging at tanks... >.>

Anyway currently reading: Douglas Adam's Restaurant at the End of the Universe and Friedrich Nietzsche's Human, All Too Human.
Mar 22, 2010 11:07 AM
Mar 2010
Nights in Rodanthe - a book about a woman who is incharge of running her friends in for the weekend with only one visitor because there is going to be a huge storm. well, one thing leads to another and they fall in love.

The last song - no, i'm not reading this book because the movies coming out and mley cyrus is going to be in it, but i generally find it a good book. About a seventeen year old girl who is forced to stay with her father for the summer, and embarks on an unlikely summer romance.

imma Nicholas Sparks fan.

"It's just...a bad dream! Wake up, wake up...!"
Mar 22, 2010 5:22 PM
Jun 2007
Sword of Truth Book 8: Naked Empire - it's still the same heavy-handed, unsubtle, monotonous writing after eight books in the series, yet I've made it this far so I guess I'll finish the whole thing. Maybe it would not take as long since the writing leaves so little to glean about that skimming through it would not diminish the enjoyment experience.

Night of Knives: A Malazan Novel - the first of the supplementary novels written by Ian Esselmont, it's not as lengthy as those by Erikson, and not as elegantly written either. It's slow paced and lacking in scale compared to the main storyline but, hopefully, Return of the Crimson Guard would be a step up.
Mar 22, 2010 7:15 PM

Jul 2009
Just finished The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon. It's part biography of the explorer Percy Fawcett who disappeared in the Amazon in the 20s, and part history lesson about the area and the effect its mystery has had on people. It's a really great book, though not exactly in a gripping, can't-put-it-down way. The author really put his all into the research for the book, and even traveled to the Amazon himself in search of a final conclusion. The ending definitely doesn't disappoint :)

Also, I found out they're making a movie about Fawcett starring Brad Pitt. SCORE.
Mar 22, 2010 7:20 PM

Sep 2009
"Brave New World" - Aldous Huxley.

This one is for schoolwork, though I personally enjoyed the story greatly and certainly got my brain to think again. I'll have to re-read it a second time for annotation; it'll be a bit of a chore, but I think I won't mind with this book.
Mar 26, 2010 8:16 AM

Jul 2009
The Zombie Survival Guide - Max Brooks

and once I'm done I'll start World War Z (same author)

the horrid grammar is funny.

rawr zombehz
:3
tropikalMar 26, 2010 10:17 AM
Mar 26, 2010 12:39 PM

Mar 2010
..The Sight by David Clement-Davies

a book about a a white wolf named Larka who has this power called the Sight and she has to use it against her aunt Morgra ,who also has the Sight, before she uses it to summon the evil Worlfbane ...

its actually pretty good and somewhat sad
"I love humans! I love them! I love them all sooo much!"
Mar 29, 2010 8:35 AM

Jan 2007
I am currently reading an anthology :
Wastelands Stories of the Apocalypse

I love post-apocalyptic fiction so this is a must read for me. So far i have only read the first 2 stories, a Stephen King story that was quite good and also a story by Orson Scott Card, this one was quite predictable and i did not find it that interesting, looking forward to reading the rest.
Mar 29, 2010 10:58 AM

Feb 2009
The Mortal Instruments:City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare..

It's a fantasy series of four novels and city of ashes is the 2nd book..
Pages (114) « First ... « 41 42 [43] 44 45 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7620 by Eleben »»
1 minute ago

» What's your favorite song?

DollzchanAi - Apr 18

14 by Eleben »»
3 minutes ago

» Similar sites like MAL but for movies ?

NaRc0s_G - Jan 3, 2022

17 by Eleben »»
5 minutes ago

» Rap Music Recommendations - Newbie Here

Liaeves - Feb 17

4 by Dumb »»
1 hour ago

» J Cole vs Kendrick Lamar

Cammell - Apr 5

28 by Cammell »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.