Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 26, 12:14 PM

Jan 2021
Bit of a long post, so feel free to ignore if it's not your thing.
I watched Re:Zero for the first time after the second season finished airing. I think it is a pretty good show, and its strengths lie in building intrigue, amping up tension and resolving extremely dire situations in an epic and satisfying way over the course of an arc.

Onto my issue with it. The world of Re:Zero invokes a sense of suspense and is completely shrouded in mystery. The Witch Cult, which serves as the primary antagonist faction, has been feuding with the MC ever since the beginning. The conflict is bloody, violent and disturbing to watch, and it adds to the show immensely. However, I feel like as a viewer, I cannot find myself immersed in a conflict where I have little to no idea about what motivates the antagonists.
Does this mean I want answers right away? Of course not. However, Re:Zero has been serializing for years now, and the fact that LN readers still have no idea what exactly the nature of the Witch cult is, kinda bugs me.
They plan and execute attacks (apparently) to capture Emilia for vague reasons. On asking a few LN readers, I was told that they just follow Gospels and do, and I quote, 'cray cray stuff, so don't bother thinking too much about it.'

It's just that all these moving parts and complexities about the Witch Cult, the Sin Archbishops, their authorities, how and why their abilities work the way they do, their Gospels and obsession with the Witches, which ALSO reminds me of the Witches and their mysteries- all this enforces a feeling of wasted potential in storytelling.

I can't shake the feeling that if we had some semblance of context for the Witch Cult's clear motivations, I'd be a lot more interested in this conflict. I still enjoy the show for its thrills and desperate situations, but I feel like as a world, and as a story, it has a lot more to offer than it currently is.

I can understand arguments such as long term storytelling and slow burning reveals, but I believe that conflicts in any story suffer when you have a side full of vile characters acting for unknown reasons for MULTIPLE story arcs.

tl;dr, I like the show, but the Witch Cult's ambiguity and vague nature takes me out of the conflict. The fact that I know little to nothing about the antagonists I've been watching for 3 seasons now bugs me a bit. I feel like there's a limit to shrouding your antagonists in mystery, but Re:Zero doesn't seem to mind keeping them as they are.
Does anyone else feel the same way?
Oct 26, 12:23 PM
Aug 2021
Im waiting for all the fans that are going to storm this comment section🍿
Oct 26, 12:25 PM
Aug 2023
certifiedbinger said:
Bit of a long post, so feel free to ignore if it's not your thing.
I watched Re:Zero for the first time after the second season finished airing. I think it is a pretty good show, and its strengths lie in building intrigue, amping up tension and resolving extremely dire situations in an epic and satisfying way over the course of an arc.

Onto my issue with it. The world of Re:Zero invokes a sense of suspense and is completely shrouded in mystery. The Witch Cult, which serves as the primary antagonist faction, has been feuding with the MC ever since the beginning. The conflict is bloody, violent and disturbing to watch, and it adds to the show immensely. However, I feel like as a viewer, I cannot find myself immersed in a conflict where I have little to no idea about what motivates the antagonists.
Does this mean I want answers right away? Of course not. However, Re:Zero has been serializing for years now, and the fact that LN readers still have no idea what exactly the nature of the Witch cult is, kinda bugs me.
They plan and execute attacks (apparently) to capture Emilia for vague reasons. On asking a few LN readers, I was told that they just follow Gospels and do, and I quote, 'cray cray stuff, so don't bother thinking too much about it.'

It's just that all these moving parts and complexities about the Witch Cult, the Sin Archbishops, their authorities, how and why their abilities work the way they do, their Gospels and obsession with the Witches, which ALSO reminds me of the Witches and their mysteries- all this enforces a feeling of wasted potential in storytelling.

I can't shake the feeling that if we had some semblance of context for the Witch Cult's clear motivations, I'd be a lot more interested in this conflict. I still enjoy the show for its thrills and desperate situations, but I feel like as a world, and as a story, it has a lot more to offer than it currently is.

I can understand arguments such as long term storytelling and slow burning reveals, but I believe that conflicts in any story suffer when you have a side full of vile characters acting for unknown reasons for MULTIPLE story arcs.

tl;dr, I like the show, but the Witch Cult's ambiguity and vague nature takes me out of the conflict. The fact that I know little to nothing about the antagonists I've been watching for 3 seasons now bugs me a bit. I feel like there's a limit to shrouding your antagonists in mystery, but Re:Zero doesn't seem to mind keeping them as they are.
Does anyone else feel the same way?

I agree with everything
Oct 26, 12:30 PM
Nov 2022
Hmmm, well this honestly just a personal take. The show definitely leans heavily to ambiguity regarding the Witches Cult, and nobody knows for sure what drives them. If the mystery sort of takes you out of it, I actually think it’s understandable.

With that being said, when the Witches Cult’s true intentions are finally revealed, I personally believe it will be well worth the wait. But that remains to be seen.
Oct 26, 1:16 PM
Feb 2021
yeah i see what you’re saying. we also don’t know the reason behind subaru being summoned there and why satella loves him. you’ll be even more confused regarding this whenever arc 6 is animated with the introduction of a certain character lol. i personally haven’t had a problem with it but i guess we’ll just have to wait and see what Tappei cooks up
Oct 26, 1:22 PM

Apr 2022
I get your criticism, but I can't say I agree.
We really don't know a lot about the the witch cults structure and goals, but I believe that the Author simply withholds that for later.
Re:Zeros mystery is like it's second most important aspect after it's characters and crafting theories with the limited stuff we know is part of the fun for the fandom. Every time new crucial information is revealed, there are posts on new theories and how the new information fits into existing ones, which I think is great.
Oct 26, 1:24 PM
Feb 2021
I think if the writer took your approach it would seriously damage the series. Great fiction often thrives on mystery and ambiguity, sometimes right up to the final chapter. "Show don't tell" is usually thought good practice, it's more fun when you're looking for clues and trying to figure it out for yourself.
In any case, witch cults are notoriously secretive, so it is only fitting to keep it like that.
Oct 26, 1:53 PM

Jan 2021
PyGno_ said:
I get your criticism, but I can't say I agree.
We really don't know a lot about the the witch cults structure and goals, but I believe that the Author simply withholds that for later.
Re:Zeros mystery is like it's second most important aspect after it's characters and crafting theories with the limited stuff we know is part of the fun for the fandom. Every time new crucial information is revealed, there are posts on new theories and how the new information fits into existing ones, which I think is great.

I definitely agree with the mysteries taking a back seat for the characters. A lot of people love Re:Zero for Subaru, his struggles and him striving to become a better person.

My criticism in particular is strictly for the lack of answers about the cult; I just think context would make the story even better.
Oct 26, 2:08 PM

Jan 2021
Gavinmercer said:
I think if the writer took your approach it would seriously damage the series. Great fiction often thrives on mystery and ambiguity, sometimes right up to the final chapter. "Show don't tell" is usually thought good practice, it's more fun when you're looking for clues and trying to figure it out for yourself.
In any case, witch cults are notoriously secretive, so it is only fitting to keep it like that.

I disagree.
Currently, Re:Zero follows a format of storytelling where mysterious characters are introduced, we fight them, and we move on with minimal answers about their motives and purpose. The audience is expected to be high off of Subaru's victory despite all odds and is expected to not question much, simply moving onto the next arc.

My criticism isn't directed at the show's focus on building mysteries and not resolving them. I'm not saying I don't like long term storytelling. I just happen to think that a story with such heavy focus on conflict between two groups should balance the characters' motives better to create a more compelling narrative.

I love stories that 'show not tell', but Re:Zero does it to an extent where there's not much room to piece something together or make theories with the minimal tidbits we have.

Again, I do like the show as it is. I just think the conflict can be more compelling with adequate info about the Cult's motivation, especially when it forms such a major portion of the story.
Oct 26, 2:39 PM

Jan 2021
"Does anyone else feel the same way?"
Not really. The mystery of the Witch Cult is intriguing, and it kind of reminds me of the WG in One Piece. Both are organizations that act as an overarching antagonist, but many things are still unknown about them, this long in the series.

I do think the members of the Witch Cult should have been built better. I don't really care about any of them aside from Regulus (and that's cause he is funny), and conflicts aren't really compelling when I don't have an interest in both sides of the conflict.
CielordOct 26, 5:00 PM
spiritual successor of lord rothchild.
Oct 26, 3:42 PM
Nov 2023
I’ve had a feeling of dissatisfaction with the show from S2 onward, that it lacks something I can’t put my finger on. I can’t complain about anything as the writing and adaptation seem really top class, yet I can’t really fully engage with the show.
The point raised in this thread really speaks to me, I think that’s the problem I have too. I’m sure as time moves on and the truths behind the witches and Subaru’s summoning become clear, it will click into place and everything will be good tho so I’ll keep watching and let the author’s plan come to fruition in his own time.
Edit as I’m anime only, maybe the ln has already reached a point where there’s a bit more understandable structure to the story?
Oct 26, 3:57 PM

May 2018
Each character's objective became clear at the right moment. Petelgeuse wanted to resurrect Satella through Emilia's body, which is supposedly the main goal of the Witch's Cult. Roswaal aims to kill the dragon and bring Echidna back to life. These were the two main antagonists in the last seasons. Now, if you're looking for full details on the rest of the cult, which has barely been introduced, then you're asking for poor, expository writing.
Oct 26, 6:44 PM
Mar 2023
Let me try to answer your question without spoiling about LN...
Petelgeuse in S1 wanted Emilia's body for preparation of some "Day of Ritual" as well as he has been acting in accordance fake gospel.
Wrath,Greed,lust and Gluttony are in Priestella to collect "Witch of Pride" Typhon's Remain.
They have been all secretly working before the arrival of Subaru too.They work under "witch of Vanity" Pandora and According to Pandora, the seal within Elior Forest is connected to the ultimate goal of the Witch Cult. It is for this reason that she led an attack on the elves prior to the Permafrost of Elior Forest....Maybe their final goal to ressurect Witch of Envy.(AND WITCH OF ENVY AND SATELLA ARE NOT SAMEZ)

Besides I advice you try to read some cut contents it will give you more insights about Witch Cultists and Re:Zero world
HERE'S THE SITE TO READ CUT CONTENT:https://witchculttranslation.com/cut-content/

Oct 26, 6:51 PM
May 2021
I think not being told explicitly is a part of the fun, because there are SO many little clues that help you theorize, like:

Felt being rumored to be the lost heir to the throne

Petelgeuse saying he wants to use Emilia in some sort of ritual for Satella

Satella's direct rejection of Petelgeuse's love

The Witch Cult's Gospels being related to Echidna's gospels, which we know tell the future

The effects of authorities being feared by Geuse and Fortuna before Geuse chooses to begin using his

Satella and The Witch of Envy being different people
The apparent insanity of all of the witch cult members

The mirroring insanity of each of the witches (who we know possessed witch factors as well)

The existence of Pandora, who apparently worked with the sin archbishops

The witches idly mentioning Subaru being qualified to be a sage

The weird way Minerva acted toward Emilia when they met (and Emilia feeling nostalgic toward Minerva for some reason)

The existence of major figures of the past who are ostensibly Japanese

The snippets from many futures Emilia gets to see in the third trial

I think that the story is being told here, it just asks you to put it together. Sure, nothing is confirmed. Maybe what you build from these blocks will be wrong. But imo there are a LOT of things that seem to lead to one clear conclusion that you can come to yourself, thereby making the viewer a part of the story being told here. It's definitely a story built on that point, just like all those indie horror games from like 2016-2018 were.
Oct 26, 6:59 PM

Jun 2021
its all endgame stuff what do you mean you wanna see who's the one pulling the strings
You are amazing 『Natsuki Subaru』
Oct 26, 11:43 PM

Jan 2021
MaouHero said:
Each character's objective became clear at the right moment. Petelgeuse wanted to resurrect Satella through Emilia's body, which is supposedly the main goal of the Witch's Cult. Roswaal aims to kill the dragon and bring Echidna back to life. These were the two main antagonists in the last seasons. Now, if you're looking for full details on the rest of the cult, which has barely been introduced, then you're asking for poor, expository writing.

I get the point you're trying to make, and I'm not expecting them to drop the entire lore in an expository and tactless way, but the current format really makes the show come off as a B Horror movie. I wouldn't like it nearly as much without the focus on Subaru's development as a character.

Let me explain. Betelgeuse kept murdering the protagonist in grotesque ways throughout most of their conflict. A single line of context 'he's trying to resurrect Satella', adds little to nothing to the complexity as the audience is not expected to care about it. Then the question of WHY he's trying to resurrect Satella arises, which is answered by a vague 'he's following a fake gospel', and that is the end of Betelgeuse's motivation as a character.

I'm not expressly calling this bad. I simply see wasted potential there, as a conflict.
Yesterday, 12:27 AM

Nov 2019
From the Witch Cult, you saw only Betelgeuse as an antagonist. The others barely have much screentime till now. And what are your doubts regarding him?

I'll request to ask in a more direct and precise manner. @Daddi4900 already has given enough hints, so ask only direct questions taking those things into account.
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Yesterday, 12:35 AM

Jan 2021
Laplace_kun said:
From the Witch Cult, you saw only Betelgeuse as an antagonist. The others barely have much screentime till now. And what are your doubts regarding him?

I'll request to ask in a more direct and precise manner. @Daddi4900 already has given enough hints, so ask only direct questions taking those things into account.

I don't really have any doubts, this wasn't meant to be a Q&A thread.
I'm merely saying I'd be better interested in the conflict if they gave some actual exposition to characters like Betelgeuse instead of glossing over their motivations.
As I stated before, all we know about this antagonist is that he's trying to resurrect a witch and he's following a fake gospel. That's it.
The prequel episode with Betelgeuse does add some context, but still nothing involving his current motivations.
Yesterday, 1:03 AM

Nov 2019
Reply to certifiedbinger
Laplace_kun said:

I don't really have any doubts, this wasn't meant to be a Q&A thread.
I'm merely saying I'd be better interested in the conflict if they gave some actual exposition to characters like Betelgeuse instead of glossing over their motivations.
As I stated before, all we know about this antagonist is that he's trying to resurrect a witch and he's following a fake gospel. That's it.
The prequel episode with Betelgeuse does add some context, but still nothing involving his current motivations.
@certifiedbinger
certifiedbinger said:
I don't really have any doubts
That's a red flag, but I'll still try to indulge in the shortest way possible..

Geuse, once respected Flugel and Satella to the point he created a moderate version of the witch cult. Currently corrupted by the sloth witch factor (because he is implied to be unsuitable for it, being extremely active) and gaslit by Pandora who likely distributes the Gospels (walmart versions of Echidna's Tome), he wants to use Emilia likely as a proper candidate to aid with Satella's unsealing.

"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Yesterday, 1:30 AM

Nov 2019
@FutoiOtaku Well the main problems regarding the adaptation is curious cut of content that makes theorycrafting a lot more easy. I mean its nice that they adapt parts like Geuse being Beako's tutor in the past, but then they cut things like Satella having a split personality.

The arc after current one will give some answers, but with some more questions as a bonus... I really wish someone actually made a post here with all big questions so far in this series, instead of the alternate cringe glazing and hate-baiting. Helps both anime-onlies and source readers. If you spend more than 5 years reading something with big lore, even you need revision to properly explain stuff to other people.
Yesterday, 2:01 AM
Jan 2020
your whole existence frustrates me
Yesterday, 2:02 AM

Jan 2021
Laplace_kun said:
@certifiedbinger
certifiedbinger said:
I don't really have any doubts
That's a red flag, but I'll still try to indulge in the shortest way possible..

Geuse, once respected Flugel and Satella to the point he created a moderate version of the witch cult. Currently corrupted by the sloth witch factor (because he is implied to be unsuitable for it, being extremely active) and gaslit by Pandora who likely distributes the Gospels (walmart versions of Echidna's Tome), he wants to use Emilia likely as a proper candidate to aid with Satella's unsealing.

I see, that does put things into perspective nicely. Pandora is the blue eyed and white haired girl from the flashbacks, right?
So I'm assuming the prevalent theory is that she's pulling all the strings and the Cult follows her orders.
Yesterday, 2:07 AM

Jan 2021
Ronninn said:
your whole existence frustrates me

Well, I did ask people who couldn't read to ignore the post, but you do you ig.
Yesterday, 2:29 AM

Nov 2019
@certifiedbinger Yes, the Witch of Vainglory. And regarding her motivation.. we mostly know for now she wanted to open that seal in the Ellior Forest. When somebody like Regulus bows to her, you'd think she lies in an high standing among them. All her actions so far shown in the anime involve distortion of human ideals, goals and history itself. It's not totally clear if she directly gives orders because the Gospels do the job nicely.

Geuse was acquainted with Echidna as Beatrice's tutor of sorts. Echidna created the Tome of Wisdom. It possessed one of the greatest algorithms used to figure out the future using past events. Considering that copies of the original Tome would be considered valuable to any person with big goals, the distorted version would be a gem for Betelgeuse the Sin archbishop.

Theory time (with anime knowledge only): Now we know, Flugel entrusted the factor to Geuse; if we consider the value of the tome... did Echidna create the Tome as a guiding book for all the witches overwhelmed by their factors? Was she too late as all but one of them died?
Laplace_kunYesterday, 2:39 AM
Yesterday, 3:03 AM

May 2020
This is a big one so better prepare for it:

Although everything is subjective of course, I personally don't think one necessarily needs to know the motivations of the antagonists to be immersed in the conflict. The conflict is fueled by the protagonists reaction and reason for fighting against these antagonists. In Re:Zero's case, the Archbishops serve as the symbol of true, iredeemable evil in the world. They're not like the Witches, who were explicitly shown to neither be good nor evil. The Archbishops are not morally gray; you are not supposed to understand or side with them. However, the lack of presence of a morally gray antagonist does not constitute a bad story or conflict. An engaging conflict exists, even in just a strictly good versus evil sense, which is what this arc is all about: the good guys you care about fight against the bad guys that have terrorized and are terrorizing the said good guys you care about. The Archbishops are made and written to be purely morally black, through and through. And what makes the conflict alive is how the protagonists and the characters we care about have a reason to fight against them that's personally-tied and beyond just the politically correct answer. We see this most prominently in Subaru and the entire Crusch faction and their vendetta against Gluttony, specifically Lye, but also to a lesser extent Emilia with Regulus. Though she does not clearly remember him, we as a viewer are well aware of his involvement in her past. Moving beyond just the Archbishops and diving into the masked witch cultists we see in the latest episode, those two will be the central foil of two important conflicts that will drive both to further development for the arcs to come. I'm referring to the two family dramas that are put in full spotlight in this arc and which will be of much relevance not just in this arc but in the arcs going forward. That is, the Astrea family drama and Garfiel's family situation.

The conflict of this arc is ultimately two-fold: (1) the previously built-up and alluded conflicts with Greed and Gluttony; and (2) introducing the rest of the Archbishops (Roy, Capella, and Sirius) who will be a primary motivation of some of the cast and who will play a deeper role in the arcs to follow.

Other than that, the arc serves three important purposes:
(1) To showcase the new and improved Emilia camp that now finally has some semblance of unity of goal after their extensive development from Season 2, (2) to highlight the growth and development of Subaru as a person, character, and as a hero figure because at the end of the day, Re:Zero is one big anti-fatalism, cyclical hero's journey narrative, and finally (3) to introduce major plot points that will drive forward the character arcs of certain individuals like Garfiel and the members of the Astrea family.

Although much of my explanation is really explaining why the motivational factors of antagonists aren't necessary as long as the protagonists and the viewers have reasons to oppose them, I'll try to also give more detail into the cult itself. Basically, the Witch Cult is not an organized entity. Every member, from the Archbishops to their foot soldiers, follow the gospel that tells them of the path towards their desired future, and they will do and commit any atrocity just to achieve their desires. All the Archbishops have their own individual goals which they try to accomplish by themselves most of the time. It's only occasionally, when their gospel's instructions line up like what is happening here, that they would reluctantly work together. Prior to this arc, we as viewers are supposed to only know two important info about them: (1) that they are trying to resurrect the Witch of Envy, and (2) that they are not wholly unified, as shown with Petelgeuse and Regulus during season 2. The first point is dispelled once we see that the rest of the Archbishops don't really seem to care or even talk about the Witch of Envy. Even Sirius is shown to actually hate and hold a grudge against her instead of revering her. Also, the Archbishops don't really seem to get along with one another. In this case, we are supposed to question their goals, but simply because we do not get answers for that doesn't mean the conflict is any less engaging. Apart from the mystery, we aren't really made to care about the Archbishops beyond just purely hating them because of what they have done to the cast. The lack of context for their motivations doesn't make them any less compelling as villains nor does it take away from the conflict, because that's not the point. The point is that they're all a bunch of insane, heinous motherfuckers, and they all do their due diligence in accomplishing that. Maybe a comparison to a similar villain group would be apt to further explore this point. In particular, I like to compare the Witch Cult to the Phantom Troupe from Hunter X Hunter. In both groups, we aren't really aware of their ultimate goals or why they do the horrible things they do other than some surface-level or ambiguous reasons. Though they do differ in some aspects like how the members of the Phantom Troupe share a bond with each other while the Archbishops do not. But in the end, even without context for their underlying motivations, both groups serve and deliver their purpose in the conflicts of their respective stories: the Phantom Troupe is the driving force for Kurapika's character while the Witch Cult is the driving force for Subaru's vow of revenge for Rem and for side characters like the Crusch camp, and many others in the future.
GilgameshuuYesterday, 3:21 AM
Yesterday, 3:55 AM

May 2018
Reply to certifiedbinger
MaouHero said:

I get the point you're trying to make, and I'm not expecting them to drop the entire lore in an expository and tactless way, but the current format really makes the show come off as a B Horror movie. I wouldn't like it nearly as much without the focus on Subaru's development as a character.

Let me explain. Betelgeuse kept murdering the protagonist in grotesque ways throughout most of their conflict. A single line of context 'he's trying to resurrect Satella', adds little to nothing to the complexity as the audience is not expected to care about it. Then the question of WHY he's trying to resurrect Satella arises, which is answered by a vague 'he's following a fake gospel', and that is the end of Betelgeuse's motivation as a character.

I'm not expressly calling this bad. I simply see wasted potential there, as a conflict.
@certifiedbinger To begin with, Petelgeuse’s motivation to resurrect Satella stems from his love for her. He belongs to a cult that supposedly worships her. It’s like questioning why someone believes in God.
The main point wasn’t his 'fight' with Petelgeuse, as in some battle shounen, but rather saving Emilia. Moreover, contrary to what you’ve claimed, Petelgeuse didn’t kill Subaru even once. This matters because it demonstrates that it was never about a fight or rivalry with Petelgeuse; hence, he ultimately feels sympathy for him.
Petelgeuse’s role and development are explored over time in a much more engaging way than if a forced flashback had been used in the previous arc to create a sense of empathy.
MaouHeroYesterday, 3:59 AM
Yesterday, 6:37 AM
Feb 2019
I mostly get frustrated at how the animators constantly forget to draw people's eyes. It's excusable in a manga where sometimes a panel can be so small that you can't add certain details, but this isn't a manga.

The first time it happened Emilia died after Subaru told her that he can return by death. And the show expects me to not have a heart attack whenever they forget to draw someone's eyes.
Yesterday, 6:47 AM
Jun 2024
I understand your criticism. My perspective on why I love this kind of storytelling:

I’ll try to explain my point as best as I can.
When this story builds up so much without giving us payoffs right away, it’s not because they’re saying, 'We could give you the payoff now, but we’re gonna make you wait for ABSOLUTELY no reason at all.'
It’s more like, 'The payoff wouldn’t even make sense without the full buildup, so of course, we’re not giving it to you yet.'
When we finally get answers to the buildup from past seasons, it won’t just be a direct answer to one question we had before. It’ll be the resolution to a bunch of puzzle pieces, all connected to each other. And those pieces are still being set up now, even though it might feel like we’ve started a whole new arc without any ties to what’s come before.
Yesterday, 7:54 AM
Jul 2021
Kaze1214 said:
Hmmm, well this honestly just a personal take. The show definitely leans heavily to ambiguity regarding the Witches Cult, and nobody knows for sure what drives them. If the mystery sort of takes you out of it, I actually think it’s understandable.

With that being said, when the Witches Cult’s true intentions are finally revealed, I personally believe it will be well worth the wait. But that remains to be seen.

I get that, but we are literally getting absolutely nothing here. Just give us something ie a motive, a goal etc. Like OP says I think there is a limit between mystery and bad writing, for me this has started to reach the latter.
Yesterday, 8:03 AM
Nov 2022
kyo_1 said:
Kaze1214 said:

I get that, but we are literally getting absolutely nothing here. Just give us something ie a motive, a goal etc. Like OP says I think there is a limit between mystery and bad writing, for me this has started to reach the latter.

Like I said, totally understandable. Some people just don’t want to wait that long on the mystery which is fine, really can’t blame anyone that thinks that way.

As for the goal, the only goal we know of is that Pandora who seems like a leader of sorts wants to open the seal of Elior Forest, which is just another mystery 😂

I haven’t read Arc 6 yet, but apparently it’s supposed to be even more confusing there as well
Yesterday, 8:15 AM
Feb 2023
kyo_1 said:
Kaze1214 said:

There is a motive. Echidna and Pandora are the ones moving the pieces around. The witch cult’s purpose as seen in S2, they follow what Pandora wants. The point is to remove the seal that Emilia has, which has a relation to the calamity that witch of envy, echidna, Astrea, and two others, who will be discussed in arc 6, stopped. After that calamity, for some reason the witch of envy betrayed the witches and ate half of the world. This resulted in remaining forces to seal her away in a chamber, which again will be discussed more.

As of arc 9, by now the prophecies are now in motion which means another calamity will begin. What are the end goals of Pandora? We don’t know yet. What are end goals of Echidna? There are theories and some hints from arc 8.

Better not waste your time with kaze there.

I get why some people would be turned off but the point of this writing is not to reveal everything but reveals new stuff as arcs go along. Imo showing the true intention of main antagonist would make it more predictable than it is, as you would understand what will happen. You literally have Echidna who knows what will happen in future and Pandora who can rewrite anything to her will. So knowing what their end goal is would you know spoil the whole plot.

Still I get your concern. Hope you understand what I said though lol
Confused_100Yesterday, 8:21 AM
Yesterday, 8:36 AM
Jul 2021
@Kaze1214 Ye that’s my whole point, I love mystery but it gets really confusing at some point I think it’s finally reached that for me 🤣
Yesterday, 8:40 AM
Nov 2022
@Confused_100 Stop being salty over an argument we had in another thread. Would love to know what you think I said that was wrong here 😂
Yesterday, 8:47 AM
Feb 2023
Kaze1214 said:
@Confused_100 Stop being salty over an argument we had in another thread. Would love to know what you think I said that was wrong here 😂

I saw that you said something like we know nothing about their motive lol. It’s like Season 2 didnot exist to you. Also this arc said their purpose of being there to take the remains of the witch from under the city.

Just to note real quick; I amnot salty, why would I be after exposing you? If you are gonna respond like this from now on because of another thread, just say so.
Yesterday, 9:07 AM
Nov 2022
Confused_100 said:
Kaze1214 said:

I saw that you said something like we know nothing about their motive lol. It’s like Season 2 didnot exist to you. Also this arc said their purpose of being there to take the remains of the witch from under the city.

Just to note real quick; I amnot salty, why would I be after exposing you? If you are gonna respond like this from now on because of another thread, just say so.

Brother, we don’t really know what they want to do, that’s a fact.

1) I stated we don’t know for sure what the Witch Cult’s end game is. We believe they want to resurrect the Witch of Envy, at least based on what Betelgeuse said in Season 1.

2) Yes, they want to retrieve the Witch’s Remains from the city. But why is this? We don’t with 100% certainty why they want to obtain these remains.

3) The OP was about the series as a whole, not just Season 3. Many motives aren’t directly selected, and are hidden in a fog of theories, leading statements, and indirect results of their actions.

4) Pandora is another moving piece that is shrouded in mystery. As I stated, she wants to open the Seal of Elior Forest that the Forest elves led by Fortuna were protecting. The reason for why they were protecting this Seal, what the Seal is hiding, why Pandora wants to open it, what Pandora’s true ability is, and what is Pandora’s position and goal within the Witch’s Cult are all still unknown.

5) You brought up Arc 8 and Arc 9. We are in Arc 5, and going into the mysterious and highly anticipated Arc 6. Many questions have yet to be answered, and based off what other LN readers are saying are adding to this mystery.

And as someone who had just rewatched Season 2, there are still many burning questions left from it such as:

Why did Emilia feel familiar with the Witches, how are these Witch Factors obtained (these mysterious boxes seem to contain them, but how were they created), why can Subaru wielded the power of Sloth (probably related to his Return by Death ability), what is Echidna’s true aim (Arc 4 LN ending), where is Hector of Melancholy now, why did Puck break his contract with Emilia (there may be more to it then just the memories being unsealed), and how will Subaru save a being (Witch of Envy) that has been sealed away.

So many questions, without clear answers.

The Witch Cult is a mysterious group, whose existence and true purpose we have only just scratched the surface of.

So tell me: What is the Witch Cult’s true purpose, and what is their goal? Do you have the answer? If not, then my statement above is factual.
Yesterday, 9:25 AM
Jan 2018
I agree that witch cult is shrouded with mystery. You also have guys like Pandora or Hector, and some other villains that seemingly confusing without direct explanation or motivations. They can literally appear OUT OF THIN AIR if the Author wanted to at any point of the story.

I have a feeling that the Author will put such a CRAZY plot twist later down the road, that all of these fight and stuff will actually make sense. Maybe it is so crazy, that he is afraid of letting any information pouring out. Between this, or we just absolutely cooked and wait for nothing. Re zero play a long game, even longer than attack on titan to reveal that attack on titan are actually, not just about titans. Maybe the villains of re zero are also something like that. 3rd season in Re zero is so far too early because of how big this story is with the spanning arcs. You could not just assume them as just a "wasted potential".

Maybe if you are curious enough, you can absolutely piece together information by information, word by word, all foreshadowing and what else. Re zero is not that shallow, and the world building the author put into the scale is really grand and epic. But if you are just ordinary watcher, try to enjoy Re zero as it is, for now. It does not dissapoint.

The one thing is, the plot structure of re zero is that amazing, that any of the arcs feel heavy and majestic, you have such villain with unique powers and abilities, like regulus or gluttony, how will you defeat them? How many loops will Subaru take? Will he get new ally? Somehow even with the lack of context or information of the attacker, it does not make it shallow at all. The fantasy power scaling and the execution is so well made, that it covers the most of things up that you just said, at least for me. So even if it's really fumbled the bag somehow, it would not take out all the fun I just watch.
Yesterday, 9:28 AM
Feb 2019
@Kaze1214
I don't think Hector of Melancholy is going to be mentioned or appear again. I figured his existence was just a joke, and an example of how much crazier things were before the Witch of Envy destroyed half the world. He was just one threat who no longer exists.
Yesterday, 9:31 AM
Nov 2022
Alternate_Wraph said:
@Kaze1214
I don't think Hector of Melancholy is going to be mentioned or appear again. I figured his existence was just a joke, and an example of how much crazier things were before the Witch of Envy destroyed half the world. He was just one threat who no longer exists.

Totally a possibility. I would love if he reappeared though. Kinda curious about his strange ability as well
Yesterday, 9:54 AM
Feb 2023
Reply to Kaze1214
Confused_100 said:
Kaze1214 said:

Brother, we don’t really know what they want to do, that’s a fact.

1) I stated we don’t know for sure what the Witch Cult’s end game is. We believe they want to resurrect the Witch of Envy, at least based on what Betelgeuse said in Season 1.

2) Yes, they want to retrieve the Witch’s Remains from the city. But why is this? We don’t with 100% certainty why they want to obtain these remains.

3) The OP was about the series as a whole, not just Season 3. Many motives aren’t directly selected, and are hidden in a fog of theories, leading statements, and indirect results of their actions.

4) Pandora is another moving piece that is shrouded in mystery. As I stated, she wants to open the Seal of Elior Forest that the Forest elves led by Fortuna were protecting. The reason for why they were protecting this Seal, what the Seal is hiding, why Pandora wants to open it, what Pandora’s true ability is, and what is Pandora’s position and goal within the Witch’s Cult are all still unknown.

5) You brought up Arc 8 and Arc 9. We are in Arc 5, and going into the mysterious and highly anticipated Arc 6. Many questions have yet to be answered, and based off what other LN readers are saying are adding to this mystery.

And as someone who had just rewatched Season 2, there are still many burning questions left from it such as:

Why did Emilia feel familiar with the Witches, how are these Witch Factors obtained (these mysterious boxes seem to contain them, but how were they created), why can Subaru wielded the power of Sloth (probably related to his Return by Death ability), what is Echidna’s true aim (Arc 4 LN ending), where is Hector of Melancholy now, why did Puck break his contract with Emilia (there may be more to it then just the memories being unsealed), and how will Subaru save a being (Witch of Envy) that has been sealed away.

So many questions, without clear answers.

The Witch Cult is a mysterious group, whose existence and true purpose we have only just scratched the surface of.

So tell me: What is the Witch Cult’s true purpose, and what is their goal? Do you have the answer? If not, then my statement above is factual.
@Kaze1214 Okay let's take it step by step:

1) Why knowing the end goal of witch cult matters right now? We know their end goal is similar to Pandora in a sense as she did take control of them as shown by Season 2. Knowing the end goal of it is like spoiling the whole motive. They aren't doing it for good will here, atleast we don't know yet why Pandora is doing this. I want to give an outside example which would make this issue mute tbh. The problem is in any series, you shouldn't know the end goal except at the very end of a series, but the purpose is to give you hints of said end goal to make sense with what is shown so far. So knowing their goals for the current running arc is more important than knowing their end goals for now.

2) That issue is 1 repeated, why they want the remains because it is tied to the end goal. However from what I said there is something that was actually discussed before: The witch has all the authorities of sins, getting the remains would in turn what? Like there is something there you are not noticing.

3) The OP's problem is something with the way of writing, which is understandable from his point of view. It is subjective at the end of the day if you are gonna like this kind of writing. This is a mystery series, why would the series ruin the final plan by explaining it from now? Again the problem is he isn't a fan of the genre he is watching. If he expected he is going to watch something that won't make him question what will happen if the witch cultists succeed other than focus on what is happening he will miss out on details that are crucial.

4) This one is divided to many questions but again weirdly enough are tied to the end goal in some cases. Why were they protecting this seal? Flugel and the witch that Fortuna mentioned wanted it to be protected and Emilia is the key to opening it. You can think of it as Pandora's box, why did Pandora want to open her box in the legends? Tied to her end goal. What is it hiding is literally the same as the question of why she wants to open it in this case. See the problem with the questions here? All of them will be answered by one answer. And that answer can not be answered now. If you criticise it, then again the problem with the criticism of this point makes no sense as it applies to every writing literature out there.

5) Arc 9 is still at the start, I brought it up as the story is now going to the final stetches technically speaking. As of now it feels like everything in the world is built up and every character who would play a role is introduced and fully explained/developed in someway. So now it feels like there are less questions than there were before but same questions related to end goal is still there because I doubt he will address it until maybe arc 11. Arc 8 is going to answer one of the main antagonists objective or atleast hints at it.

Now for the Season 2 questions: Why did Emilia feel familiar with the witches: Do you mean when she met Echidna and Minnerva? That question I didn't understand well. How are these witch factors obtained? That was answered in second episode of S2, When you kill someone who has the factor, the factor attaches itself to said someone. Mysterious boxes were made by Flugel as Geuse said. How were they created? Well that's Flugel again. Why can Subaru wield the power of Sloth? Echidna gave him that ability, did you not see the scene where she literally says to him that the drink he drank is going to give the ability to technically control it? What is Echidna's true aim? There is a side story of her if I am not mistaken, you should read it. Where is Hector of Melancholy now? Hmmm maybe the only critism here like Flugel questions I would get behind, because they should be explained better. Flugel will be explained not alot though in arc 6, Hector truly is a weird case but he was chasing Echidna for some reason. Any questions related to these two I can get behind tbh LOL. Why did Puck break his contract with Emilia? You do know Echidna created Puck technically speaking. You watched the OVA movie right? How will Subaru save a being (witch of envy) that has been sealed away? Arc 6 will answer this, but also Witch of envy and Satella are different beings. So no he won't be wanting to save witch of envy but he wants to save Satella, who looks remarkably like Emilia.

Not really because the questions are mostly related to end goals of the main antagonists here except the ones related to ofcourse Flugel and Hector which I agree should have been addressed better.

Witch Cult's true purpose before Pandora tampering with them is to repent for their sins. After follow her commands, where her true power is to create the narrative she wants, as seen in S2. She can say whatever she wants and it happens. So it is easy to assume she knows that Subaru is someone who technically can change that. But that will go into too deep and then come back to the same question that want the one answer: The end goal of the antagonist.

What you said isn't factual, however there are things that need actual good answers. Like what happened in the calamity, and what Flugel and Hector did. Those three should have been addressed better otherwise I see problems with asking about true end goals without sounding inconsistent with other media and writing in general. The writing should be about caring about what is happening (their goal) right now and theorising to what may happen next, but questioning things related to final arcs does not make sense. Now these are facts.
Confused_100Yesterday, 10:03 AM
Yesterday, 10:49 AM
Feb 2023
Alternate_Wraph said:
@Kaze1214

I truly doubt that. He is related to Echidna after all and there is still a big role for her to play
Yesterday, 11:49 AM
Jun 2024
If AoT revealed everything the way you want it to be then the show wouldn't be anywhere near as good. For this show it wouldn't hurt to the same degree, but the mystery of it is interesting and the archbishops being unknowns makes them a lot more intimidating.
Yesterday, 12:01 PM
Feb 2023
kuma-dono said:
If AoT revealed everything the way you want it to be then the show wouldn't be anywhere near as good. For this show it wouldn't hurt to the same degree, but the mystery of it is interesting and the archbishops being unknowns makes them a lot more intimidating.

I think that’s the problem with these kinds of criticisms is that you can apply it to every series that is trying to be mysterious in any way. I think the advantage that AoT had is that it only took 3 seasons for alot mystery to be revealed. I think it would hurt the series as it would make it more predictable. Unlike AoT which had alot of grey areas, Re zero doesn’t have it that much.
Yesterday, 12:08 PM

Jan 2021
kuma-dono said:

I'm quoting my original post here.

"I can understand arguments such as long term storytelling and slow burning reveals, but I believe that conflicts in any story suffer when you have a side full of vile characters acting for unknown reasons for MULTIPLE story arcs."

You're comparing apples and oranges there. My criticism is directed solely towards this show's handling of its mystery element, not the mystery genre as a whole.
Yesterday, 12:18 PM

Jan 2021
Confused_100 said:
kuma-dono said:

I think that’s the problem with these kinds of criticisms is that you can apply it to every series that is trying to be mysterious in any way. I think the advantage that AoT had is that it only took 3 seasons for alot mystery to be revealed. I think it would hurt the series as it would make it more predictable. Unlike AoT which had alot of grey areas, Re zero doesn’t have it that much.

You can't apply them everywhere though. Re:Zero is doing something completely unique with the way it handles its world building and mystery.

I haven't ever seen any series go on for this long (talking about the source material here) with so much ambiguity about its setting, and still create such a gripping narrative.

There are two types of reception towards such a move.
1. People are either going to keep getting more intrigued, waiting for the grand reveal that puts the puzzle pieces together and blows their minds.
2. Feel slightly disconnected from the narrative since story arcs start and resolve without touching much upon the things that would usually be addressed in other stories. But they still have fun with it.

I simply happen to be the latter, and wanted to see if some other viewers felt that way. A few do, but as expected, most don't. I'm glad I made this thread though, I got to take in a lot of different perspectives.
Yesterday, 12:26 PM
Feb 2023
certifiedbinger said:
Confused_100 said:

You can't apply them everywhere though. Re:Zero is doing something completely unique with the way it handles its world building and mystery.

I haven't ever seen any series go on for this long (talking about the source material here) with so much ambiguity about its setting, and still create such a gripping narrative.

There are two types of reception towards such a move.
1. People are either going to keep getting more intrigued, waiting for the grand reveal that puts the puzzle pieces together and blows their minds.
2. Feel slightly disconnected from the narrative since story arcs start and resolve without touching much upon the things that would usually be addressed in other stories. But they still have fun with it.

I simply happen to be the latter, and wanted to see if some other viewers felt that way. A few do, but as expected, most don't. I'm glad I made this thread though, I got to take in a lot of different perspectives.

Yeah I get that without a doubt. That’s why I said AoT didn’t take after 3 seasons to actually address it. Ofcourse one needs to take into consideration that AoT S2 was shorter than S1 and S3.

All I can give advice here is that don’t ask questions that may relate to the full story but enjoy and ask questions related to the current arc. I know it can be jarring but it is a mystery genre through and through, unlike AoT which seamlessly changes from mystery/oppression to a full out war. If you get what I mean here

More topics from this board

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 3rd Season Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 23

199 by QuoteMAL »»
32 minutes ago

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 3rd Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MegamiRem - Aug 6

523 by ionelHeredia »»
2 hours ago

» I'm lost

RealityChanges - Yesterday

15 by DGemu »»
3 hours ago

» What truly makes it masterpiece and what made you fall in love with it?

ishowcunny - Oct 26

31 by Youre_boyIruma »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 3rd Season Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Softhenic03 - Oct 16

194 by KevinnS »»
3 hours ago

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.