Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jun 3, 7:57 PM
Feb 2021
Thumbnails do nothing for me. One of the benefits of this site was the simple design and navigation. Now its a pain to read each thumbnail as it feels disjointed and on a 4K monitor with this site zoomed 140%, I still barely make out what the thumbnail is.

Plus, If I am looking at anime, the related items should be anime listed first on the left and the source (manga, LN, etc) should be second and vice versa. There should be a line break as well differentiate between each mediums. Now, it looks cluttered when you have more than two related items.

Have an option to revert to the old setting please.
Jun 3, 8:42 PM
Nov 2019
Wow I absolutly hate this change. It makes it so much harder to quickly see all of the related animes to a series. High school DxD for example, if i want to go from season to season I have to scroll through all the ovas and tv specials to get to the next one. Before we had the option to just see it all and click on the one that we wanted to get to. If you wanted to add a thumbnail to the series, you should have just made the section longer or had a preview of the anime pop up with you hovered over the link with a image and short description. PLEASE IM BEGGING YOU, MAKE A LEEGACY OPTION FOR THIS!
Jun 4, 10:14 AM
Jan 2017
Reply to ColinV
Thumbnails do nothing for me. One of the benefits of this site was the simple design and navigation. Now its a pain to read each thumbnail as it feels disjointed and on a 4K monitor with this site zoomed 140%, I still barely make out what the thumbnail is.

Plus, If I am looking at anime, the related items should be anime listed first on the left and the source (manga, LN, etc) should be second and vice versa. There should be a line break as well differentiate between each mediums. Now, it looks cluttered when you have more than two related items.

Have an option to revert to the old setting please.
ColinV said:

I agree 100%.
Jun 6, 8:43 AM

Mar 2022
Please give me the option to revert back to the old design. I don't find this new design as easy to navigate and the thumbnails are just distracting. Much prefer the simplicity of text only and having all listings visible by default.
Jun 7, 12:49 AM

Oct 2013
Hmm... At first, I was surprised and skeptical, but I decided to give this change some time. The idea of slightly refreshing the Related Anime/Manga section and making it more comfortable to browse sounded good. That's why I thought my initial skepticism could've been simply because something new had appeared and I needed to get used to it.

Unfortunately, after several days, I began to miss the old system. Don't get me wrong, the new one works well when there aren't a lot of related entries, and for sure it's great because it shows what kind of format each entry is (TV series, movie, ONA, etc.). But it doesn't mean the new way of showing those entries is flawless. When there are a lot of related entries, it simply becomes a mess. The section is already visually bigger due to several thumbnails, and expanding it to see a high number of entries of various kinds becomes hard to read. While the ability to hide long lists is convenient, I still think the more minimalistic approach of the previous system was way more informative and clearer, at least for entries with many other related entries connected to them.

I really wish we could choose the system we prefer more in general.
Jun 9, 9:23 PM

Jul 2017
I thought the "related entries" section had been removed from the website until I found this post.

Because my eyes glaze over the MALxJapan and other ads, which is right by the related entries section. The related entries pictures are too small to see and nothing else in that section stands out. I thought it was just gone.
Jun 10, 6:15 PM

Nov 2018
Reply to Maenads
I thought the "related entries" section had been removed from the website until I found this post.

Because my eyes glaze over the MALxJapan and other ads, which is right by the related entries section. The related entries pictures are too small to see and nothing else in that section stands out. I thought it was just gone.
@Maenads Yep, I'm still having this problem even after weeks of it being like this; eyes just slide right past it
Jun 11, 3:18 AM

Nov 2019
This was a surprise, I was struggling to find sequels but with the current layout it seems confusing going back and forth series with 5+ seasons. I have to open tabs if I want to keep my progress between checking sequels.
Jun 12, 2:39 PM

Mar 2018
The idea is really nice but an option to use the older version would be very nice. I prefer the more compact look it had compared to how it is now.

I feel like this looks a lot nicer and cleaner

Compared to this which feels like a mesh between two styles and just looks a little janky

Jun 14, 10:07 AM
Jun 2024
The recent update to the Anime/Manga database pages enhances user experience by adding thumbnails and entry types for frequently-clicked related entries, improving visibility. To maintain readability, additional related entries are collapsed under a More/Less accordion, especially useful for extensive franchises like One Piece.

Jun 14, 7:19 PM

Apr 2016
Couple things wrong with this
1. Please add the option to automatically show all related, having to click the button every time makes it really annoying to tell at a glance what anime are related
2. Please make it possible to either show all or none of the entires with images, the contrast is very annoying to look at & splitting shows with and without images re-orders the fields in oftentimes annoying ways
Otherwise I like the idea, would appreciate if these 2 changes are considered
Jun 29, 3:26 AM

Mar 2013
It would be nice if there's a LN list as well. If we have Anime/Manga lists, where's the Light Novel lists? It is rather confusing to see LN in the manga category.

Also, it looks nicer when you're on the anime page and you get to see the main source of adaptation, and besides it, the alternative, both in a single page instead of clicking the LN source, and then the manga or vice very. That's too much work.
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Jul 1, 6:23 PM

May 2023
Is there going to be a summer fantasy anime league?
Jul 2, 9:00 PM
Apr 2021
The old system was just so elegant and functional. The new one isn't. Please give an option to revert.
Jul 4, 5:11 AM

Jun 2010
As a mass anime watcher that prefer usability over visuals, this change is absolutely annoying and confusing. Before it was easy to say what is what. Now we have to click to expand the section, look for header for each tile to determine what is it. Jesus, I'm 15 years-exp developer and I will never understand, why those kind of worsening changes are introduced to designs that just work properly. If it's working, why change?

@Edit

So I actually spent 1 hour of my time and made Tampermonkey script to revert that change.
tariel36Jul 4, 7:25 AM
Jul 6, 7:14 PM

Nov 2018
Reply to tariel36
As a mass anime watcher that prefer usability over visuals, this change is absolutely annoying and confusing. Before it was easy to say what is what. Now we have to click to expand the section, look for header for each tile to determine what is it. Jesus, I'm 15 years-exp developer and I will never understand, why those kind of worsening changes are introduced to designs that just work properly. If it's working, why change?

@Edit

So I actually spent 1 hour of my time and made Tampermonkey script to revert that change.
tariel36 said:

Awesome! If this had been how they redesigned it in the first place, I bet no one would have complained
Jul 9, 2:46 PM

Feb 2023
Navigating to the Naruto and Boruto anime using the relations from Naruto Shippuden felt super weird today.

With the new design, I expect the Prequels and Sequels to be instantly visible at the top together with the Adaptation. It's the case for 99% of all anime and it was one of the explicit goals of the change to make prequels/sequels more visible. It feels so weird to just randomly have them hidden.

It's too rare for me to have to press the "More related entries" on the bottom right to get used to it. My first reaction is often to just accidentally assume that the anime simply doesn't have more than 4 entries unless I know better. There is still almost no indicator for the fact that the other relations are hidden other than that small button on the side that I constantly forget about. I hate the moments when I just stare at the relations for a few seconds wondering why I can't find what I'm looking for until I remember to press that button on the right where I usually never look. (Maybe I'm dumb for not getting used to it, but the design just isn't good)

It's already bad enough that I constantly have to second guess myself if the prequel/sequel I'm looking for is on the left or the right, because my head automatically reads it top to bottom for each column. Everywhere else on MAL the two columns are supposed to be read top to bottom except for here where it's left to right. This is super confusing!

I really don't want to rely on user scripts for this.
Jul 10, 12:13 PM
Feb 2019
Please count me with another vote in the dislike camp. The new UI makes everything more complicated, not less.
Jul 19, 1:21 PM

Mar 2023
Did they make a way to change it back? Not a fan.
Jul 19, 9:09 PM

Apr 2010
Absolutely hate the change. Couldn't even find the prequel/sequel stuff and thought it was legit removed. Usability & visibility plummeted on this one.
Yesterday, 5:35 AM
The King of Dino

Sep 2019
Love this update!!

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

248 by nanajp »»
Jul 20, 2:48 AM

» Forum Conversation View: Now available ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kineta - Aug 29, 2023

180 by Thyriad-oPPailov »»
Jul 19, 6:04 PM

» Favorites Boosting Accounts: Ranking Recalculations ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - May 6, 2021

409 by clane34 »»
Jul 18, 4:24 AM

» Clubs Have a Brand-New Look—In-App!

Kineta - May 15, 2022

46 by YourFriendHolly »»
Jul 9, 9:47 AM

» English Titles Added to Desktop; Moving Towards a Romanized/English Toggle ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Feb 12, 2020

124 by maverickwhites »»
Jul 7, 11:07 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.