Forum Settings
Forums
New
Which series did you like and thought was better overall?
Mar 26, 7:09 PM

Mar 2021
Now that these two have long been over, and the hype has somewhat simmered down. Which series did you like and thought was better overall? I've always seen people comparing these two, which makes sense regarding their genre and popularity. But for me, it was never even close. Like the ASOIF books and early Game of Thrones IMO in terms of writing, worldbuilding, characters, the overarching narrative and etc. has always been better than anything AoT has ever done (even before 139).

But hey that's just my opinion, what's yours?
DOSS300Mar 26, 7:13 PM
Mar 26, 11:13 PM

Mar 2021
Aot isn't better than early game of thrones (1-4) let alone the much much better asoiaf books.
Mar 27, 12:30 AM

Jun 2016
I watched GoT right after it finished airing so I made the decision to not watch the last two seasons as I heard that everything turns to shit right there so for me GoT was a better overall package even though AoT has a lot of very strong individual moments.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Mar 27, 12:37 AM

Mar 2024
.................both are garbage
Mar 27, 12:42 AM

Mar 2021
Reply to Za_Panda
Aot isn't better than early game of thrones (1-4) let alone the much much better asoiaf books.
@Za_Panda Yeahhh the books are so good. Hopefully George sticks the landing.
DOSS300Mar 27, 12:46 AM
Mar 27, 12:48 AM

Nov 2021
Overall, I prefer GOT excluding the last two season, but season 3 part 2 of AOT is better than season 4 of GOT in term of hype moments.
Mar 27, 1:15 AM

Mar 2023
They are both equally terrible. This is like asking what you prefer between back or neck pain. And my answer is none.
Mar 27, 1:37 AM

Jul 2014
Didn't get too far into the GoT series but read the first four books. The first three are among the greatest fantasy novels ever written while the fourth was so dull that it put me off the franchise for good.

AoT never quite reached the heights of A Song of Ice and Fire's peak, but it never bored me and was consistently great. I even liked the ending (though i heard it was executed significantly worse in the manga).
Take care of yourself

Mar 27, 2:36 AM

Sep 2016
Hard decision, I went with GoT because of Cersei.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Mar 27, 9:16 PM
Feb 2022
Reply to ninjaberserker
.................both are garbage
@ninjaberserker Let me guess, Fate and 86 are the peak of all fiction huh

Apr 13, 10:53 PM

Mar 2024
I do not know. Both are kuso
ラーメン食いに行こうぜ~
Yesterday, 4:54 PM

Jun 2019
I remember seeing the HBO promo trailers and advertisements for Game of Thrones when it was starting in 2011. At the time I didn't start it because I was watching other shows (not anime - I wouldn't get into anime at this point for another five years) and just wasn't particularly interested in picking up a random fantasy show I didn't know much else about other than that it was based on a book series. I had never read the books. Nothing about the trailers especially stood out or grabbed me. But I started watching it right before the second season started airing in 2012. By then I guess there was more leaking of content from it onto the internet, I had seen one or two out of context clips, the infancy of its pop culture saturation trickling in, etc., so I became intrigued. I remember watching the first few episodes, then was traveling most of the year and didn't have access to a television so didn't watch most of the second season weekly, but finished it shortly after I returned home. Then I watched every subsequent season (the third season on) weekly as it aired until it ended in 2019.

What they did to the last seasons, beyond butchery - there are hardly words potent and punitive enough within the English language to adequately describe it. One of the worst betrayals of the viewership and an entire audience and fanbase of all-time. Certainly all-time in the history of television and maybe in all modern fiction as well. Just atrocious. But it cannot sully what came before. I still place Game of Thrones in my Top 10 TV Series of all time, at rank #6, just below The Sopranos and above Avatar - The Last Airbender, in a list in which I include both mediums of live action and Western animation/cartoons (but exclude most anime with the exception of one series due to its length). I just state explicitly the exclusion of seasons seven and eight from being part of that (especially season eight).

There were already some missteps and wasted or sloppily handled areas of the relaying of the story in seasons five and six. Definitely some instances of noticeably weaker writing there than what preceded it in the pinnacle of its writing in seasons 1 - 4, but there were still enough well-written enough individual scenes and movements which were emotionally resonant great payoffs and imparted that proper epic cinematic feel that I truthfully didn't care (examples of fantastic episodes and moments which made these seasons worth it would be the last two episodes of season six - BotB and WoW). Whereas with seven and eight (eight in particular), it just became too pronounced and atrocious so as to no longer be an occasional nuisance or distraction but led to total derailment.

Shingeki no Kyojin, I have a much less extensive experience with. When I began watching anime in the autumn of 2016, I watched six series from that September until the end of the year. It wasn't until 2019 I began watching series more regularly and back to back (and 2020 for some seasonals), so between all of 2017 and 2018, I only watched a small handful of series. Shingeki no Kyojin was one of those series in the summer of 2017. I liked various aspects of the first season well enough and some of its ideas and potential, but I became frustrated with the series as a whole and dropped it halfway through the second season, never to return. There I have left it.

More topics from this board

» Post songs that you are addicted to right now

tsukareru - 11 hours ago

8 by mokkocchi »»
16 minutes ago

» This is one the most gay music vids i have seen^^

tsukareru - Yesterday

1 by Zettaiken »»
2 hours ago

» Favorite childhood TV shows?

56709 - Apr 17

26 by 707supremacist »»
Yesterday, 5:26 PM

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7587 by SilentAssassin88 »»
Yesterday, 1:16 PM

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3387 by SilentAssassin88 »»
Yesterday, 1:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.