Forum Settings
Forums

Do you consider the opening(s) and ending(s) when rating an anime?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 16, 6:30 PM

Apr 2019
NO. First of all, it is very often the case that good anime have bad op and en or vice versa. Good op is a very nice addition, but I judge the plot, the soundtrack in the episodes and how much fun I have while watching it. Op and en are an addition that I pay attention to, but they do not affect my rating. If that were the case, I would have to give higher ratings to bad anime that have good op and en, and that is illogical

Sometimes op or en appears as a theme song in episodes during the action, then I take it into account, but only then
Mar 16, 7:01 PM

Aug 2020
Wtf no lol.

Maybe if it fucking spoiled everything like Toei does, it would make me enjoy it less thus making my score lower I guess..
Keep scrolling
Mar 17, 11:38 AM
Deez

Jul 2021
A good op or ed can add so much longevity and rewatchability to a show, as well as work to make them more memorable. That said, I dont usually let it influence the score I give it - there are some rough anime with banging OPs.
Mar 17, 12:20 PM

Mar 2023
No, but the fact that if you watch them they might set the mood for the episode which may affect your experience and with that the rating, even if you don't account for the op/ed directly
Mar 30, 10:36 AM
Community Mod
Crazy Cat Lady

Apr 2019
Thread has been moved to the correct forum
Mar 30, 10:38 AM

Feb 2020
"Do you consider the opening(s) and ending(s) when rating an anime?"

Not really.
Mar 30, 12:07 PM

Sep 2007
Reply to InfinityDude88
Well it is a part of the show so when judging holistically I guess it should be included in one's assessment, but the other aspects of each anime are so much more important that it really doesn't affect my personal score at all. If anything I often treat OPs and EDs essentially as separate and standalone from the show itself, even if they can enhance the watch experience.
InfinityDude88 said:
Well it is a part of the show so when judging holistically I guess it should be included in one's assessment, but the other aspects of each anime are so much more important that it really doesn't affect my personal score at all. If anything I often treat OPs and EDs essentially as separate and standalone from the show itself, even if they can enhance the watch experience.

I'm generally the same here as it's a minor part of the soundtrack/music of the anime overall.
Mar 30, 12:20 PM

Apr 2012
Of course, they're part of the show. The only thing to note is that if they're crap, this shouldn't really hurt your perception of the show much, they should be easily discounted. But a good OP/ED can add a great deal to a show.
Mar 30, 3:02 PM

Nov 2020
I do not take the op and ed into consideration when I rate a show, if they're not great I skip them after the first time and don't even remember them at the end of the show. But if they're really good they may end up on a youtube playlist (if the visuals are appealing) or on my mp3 (if the song is great).
Mar 30, 3:06 PM

Jun 2020
They never are negative to my rating if they are bad but they add to it if they are bangers and I already like the show
Apr 25, 11:12 PM

Aug 2019
That has never been something I've factored in when putting together my overall impression of a show. An anime series could have an amazing OP/ED song, but if the story wasn't engaging or the characters were not compelling, then the music isn't going to save it for me. I'll just enjoy the music outside of the series and rate it a low score.
Apr 26, 1:31 AM
pookie

Nov 2015
nope, if the opening or ending is good it might give it a slight advantage but if its' not, won't take it into account
Apr 26, 1:54 AM

Jan 2019
For fluffy SoL, CGDCT, Music, etc type shows, good OPs and EDs definitely adds to my enjoyment factor. But it's not so big of a consideration that I would rate something higher or lower just for that.
Yesterday, 8:12 PM

Dec 2019
No, Strawberry Panic OPs and Zetsuen no Tempest OP 2 are good-sounding openings but they don't alterate my score.
Yesterday, 8:19 PM

Nov 2013
Openings definitely set the tone for something I look forward to each episode, and a good ending can really put a strong bookmark on the end of an episode. Even unintentionally, I think they likely impact my opinion of the anime.
Yesterday, 8:22 PM

Aug 2018
The opening or ending themes of an anime don't influence how I rate it.
Yesterday, 8:54 PM

Apr 2024
Not at all! There's been animes i would consider totally trashy yet the openings/endings are incredibly are insanely catchy and memorable! Good Animes don't need to have good openings/endings in order to be good by definition. But it's definitely a bonus if they do have them! There are plenty of amazing animes with fantastic openings/ending themes.

Some of my personal faves
Toradora OP 1

Toradora ED1

Your Lie in April OP 1

Kimi ni Todoke OP 1

Kimi ni Todoke ED 2

Hikaru no Go OP1

Hikaru no Go ED3

All of these are great examples. Although, I do find that usually the first opening of an anime is generally the best I think that's a standard I think? However, there's usually exceptions to that rule tho because while like something like your Lie in April has a great first opening I can't for the life of me remember the ending theme. There's usually a lot of animes like that. But every so often you'll find something like Hikaru no Go which is pretty consistent with good openings/endings. It honestly just really depends on the staff team behind the anime.

Yesterday, 9:15 PM
Oct 2023
Personally not, I rate on basis of adaptation, pacing, animation, voice artist, the openings and endings are just extra stuff added to the ep...
Yesterday, 9:42 PM

Mar 2022
I usually skip them so they don't matter much to me, but if the op/ed goes hard il listen to it like twice then move on.
Yesterday, 11:56 PM

Nov 2019
No I don't consider them, although if the OST/OP song is used as an iconic sound track for the hero scenes then maybe...
11 hours ago

Dec 2021
No since I skip those anyways. There are some great ones tho
11 hours ago
Apr 2024
No, that never even crosses my mind. I might consider ost's tho.
11 hours ago

Apr 2020
Certainly. I treat OPs as the first impression of an Anime and sets your mood going into the show. I expect it to carry the vibe, quality, and energy of the Anime it's representing.
The EDs I mostly just treat as a cherry on top. Some EDs that play a few seconds before an episode ends though add something to my experience, i.e. Gundam Seed Destiny's I Wanna Go to A Place by Rie Fu, or Fairy Tail's Kono Te Nobashite by Hi-Fi CAMP.

Regarding Chainsaw Man's multiple EDs, I honestly didn't notice that there were different ones for every episode. No wonder I have no idea what that show's ED is. xD
"I will use my ball to make you remember." -- Haruka Kiyomine, 2024
6 hours ago

Jul 2013
It doesn't matter because it is the content that matters...not the opening and ending of a show...
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Best black haired girl? ( 1 2 )

Spunkert - Jan 25

60 by shin0by »»
1 minute ago

» What does the Anime you watch say about you

ST63LTH - Apr 29

25 by KitsuFrost »»
1 minute ago

» Digitalization of the modern world and anime

RobertBobert - 7 hours ago

22 by RobertBobert »»
29 minutes ago

» Have you become neutral or positive over time towards works that you criticized or hated? ( 1 2 )

RobertBobert - Jul 4, 2023

52 by DarkShame2 »»
39 minutes ago

» What are the modern beginner-friendly Anime for each genre?

Dragevard - May 4

15 by Archean-Return »»
41 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.