Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 15, 12:52 AM
Aug 2021
So basically what I understand is that people are upset because it is very different from its counter part, but personally I am fine with that and love it how it is. I like Ayanokoji as the dark emotionless robotic personality and his struggle to feel human, similar to goblin slayer. I would expect this kind of personality from a boy who spent his life growing up in the situation he did. I have not read the light novel and I know it may only take a few pieces of inspiration from it, and is not a fully faithful adaptation, but I like this classroom of the elite the best
Mar 15, 1:06 AM

Mar 2023
You've already answered the question, it's all about taste. Anime adaptations are basically designed as advertisements for the source material, and are interesting primarily due to the fact that they have picture and sound. The source material has a lot of text and a lot of information that can't be contained in a seasonal anime.

It's a matter of taste, what you like more - a beautiful picture or a story. The latter is what people prefer the most, and I respect that.
Mar 15, 1:08 AM

Jan 2017
CursedRage said:
Classroom of the Elite is great so why are Light novel readers upset

I reckon most of these readers actually started reading Novels with it, and even seems to be the only one for a good amount of people, and realized how flawed an adaptation of Novel can be...

I'm pretty sure they would say the same if they read more Novels, and compare it with their adaptations. It's not for nothing that the majority of adaptations of (Regular/Light/Visual) Novels are bad.
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Mar 15, 1:11 AM
Aug 2021
Omarumba said:
You've already answered the question, it's all about taste. Anime adaptations are basically designed as advertisements for the source material, and are interesting primarily due to the fact that they have picture and sound. The source material has a lot of text and a lot of information that can't be contained in a seasonal anime.

It's a matter of taste, what you like more - a beautiful picture or a story. The latter is what people prefer the most, and I respect that.

personally, I think the anime is better IMO from what I heard about the light novel. So I am going to politely disagree
Mar 15, 1:12 AM

Mar 2023
Reply to Alexioos95
CursedRage said:

I reckon most of these readers actually started reading Novels with it, and even seems to be the only one for a good amount of people, and realized how flawed an adaptation of Novel can be...

I'm pretty sure they would say the same if they read more Novels, and compare it with their adaptations. It's not for nothing that the majority of adaptations of (Regular/Light/Visual) Novels are bad.
@Alexioos95 Well, most novel adaptations are not bad, but rather average, well, and their goal is obviously not to recreate the whole story in animated format, you know.
Mar 15, 1:13 AM
Aug 2021
Alexioos95 said:
CursedRage said:

It isn't flawed, just different. Something doesn't have to be the same or exact for it to be good, it takes inspiration from the LN and personally I think it does it better, so yeah I am going to like the Anime thank you
Mar 15, 1:13 AM

Mar 2023
Reply to CursedRage
Omarumba said:

personally, I think the anime is better IMO from what I heard about the light novel. So I am going to politely disagree
@CursedRage You have the right, my friend. To each his own, it's art. I am not one of those people who shout that the source material is better, because I understand what is what and what everything is created for.
Mar 15, 1:17 AM
Aug 2021
Omarumba said:
@CursedRage You have the right, my friend. To each his own, it's art. I am not one of those people who shout that the source material is better, because I understand what is what and what everything is created for.

Most polite and civilized person I have met on here. Great to see someone like you. Fist bump 👊

edit: great pfp BTW very based
Mar 15, 1:18 AM
Nov 2018
@CursedRage You experience more with the LN. Some things in the novel gets left out, that sometimes should be there. You just end up watching characters that are somewhat different from the novel.
Mar 15, 1:19 AM
Oct 2021
I might be remembering incorrectly but in the LN, obviously more words and explanations are given to the exam. More content. But more importantly, when I saw the chess match, it was just: bland. The description of the chess match had me wondering who would win. Then the shock of him losing.
Here's where my memory might be wrong but Tsukishiro was revealed in the last chapter. Chairman Sakayanagi got removed, this guy was sent by Ayanokouji's Father, the problems are bigger now. He dominated the two geniuses showing that he has every power to control the school.

The anime episodes just feel like YouTube summary videos. Well, that's just my opinion. I'm honestly curious as to why people continued watching after season 2.

Slight Spoiler: The next episodes might be WAY better.
@NoIdea
Mar 15, 1:30 AM
Aug 2021
PokemaniacSatan said:
I might be remembering incorrectly but in the LN, obviously more words and explanations are given to the exam. More content. But more importantly, when I saw the chess match, it was just: bland. The description of the chess match had me wondering who would win. Then the shock of him losing.
Here's where my memory might be wrong but Tsukishiro was revealed in the last chapter. Chairman Sakayanagi got removed, this guy was sent by Ayanokouji's Father, the problems are bigger now. He dominated the two geniuses showing that he has every power to control the school.

The anime episodes just feel like YouTube summary videos. Well, that's just my opinion. I'm honestly curious as to why people continued watching after season 2.

Why watch after season 2. Because we like it, I don't know what do you want me to say
Mar 15, 1:35 AM
Oct 2021
CursedRage said:
PokemaniacSatan said:

Why watch after season 2. Because we like it, I don't know what do you want me to say

Seems legit. Same reason I continue reading it... I should stop.
@NoIdea
Mar 15, 2:11 AM
Mar 2021
And the light novel is the light novel!
Mar 15, 2:29 AM

Jan 2017
Omarumba said:
their goal is obviously not to recreate the whole story in animated format, you know.

Of course. They are mostly just adapting the surface, so that the story can be understood and enjoyed, without all the development and complexity of the characters, which are nice, but not necessary for a surface-level reading of the story.

CursedRage said:
It isn't flawed, just different. Something doesn't have to be the same or exact for it to be good, it takes inspiration from the LN and personally I think it does it better, so yeah I am going to like the Anime thank you

As a direct adaptation, it is flawed.

You can totally enjoy how the Animes are (i do too), but the Novels simply offer more depth to everything, that's one of the profits of text-only (or atleast oriented) stories, you have a huge liberty to explore the dialogues and descriptions of what goes on, without letting it feels slow to the readers. That's something that is hardly doable in a media relaying on visuals, such as Animes, especially when there is a physical max-length that you can not push as you want.

And they are not just taking inspiration from it, but directly adapting it. They have to make choices in what to keep and what to delete, and it's not easy. Sometimes, they may feels like a few scenes needs to be changed, so they do. I totally agree that the fanbase in over-reacting, tho. That's just the norm for the adaptations of Novels... they just use high standards for comparisons.
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Mar 15, 2:45 AM
Mar 2021
CursedRage said:
So basically what I understand is that people are upset because it is very different from its counter part, but personally I am fine with that and love it how it is. I like Ayanokoji as the dark emotionless robotic personality and his struggle to feel human, similar to goblin slayer. I would expect this kind of personality from a boy who spent his life growing up in the situation he did. I have not read the light novel and I know it may only take a few pieces of inspiration from it, and is not a fully faithful adaptation, but I like this classroom of the elite the best

Long story short: It's a good anime but an absolutely horrible adaptation of the Light novel. they aren't the same story at all.
Mar 15, 3:02 AM
Mar 2022
You can understand, just have someone who hasn't watched Classroom of the Elite, make him watch season 1 but make him watch all 12 episodes which is about 4 hours 48 minutes in 2 hour 24 minutes, and ask him his opinion about everything

and well if you get angry at something remember, a volume takes about 7 hours to read
so 7 × 24 = 168, that's how much Light Novel Readers spend their time on this novel (that's about how much time it takes to finish One Piece if you use 2x speed and skip recaps). Of course they are angry that Anime skipped 50% of the Light Novel
Mar 15, 3:03 AM
Mar 2022
CursedRage said:

You can understand, just have someone who hasn't watched Classroom of the Elite, make him watch season 1 but make him watch all 12 episodes which is about 4 hours 48 minutes in 2 hour 24 minutes, and ask him his opinion about everything

and well if you get angry at something remember, a volume takes about 7 hours to read
so 7 × 24 = 168, that's how much Light Novel Readers spend their time on this novel (that's about how much time it takes to finish One Piece if you use 2x speed and skip recaps).
Of course they are angry that Anime skipped 50% of the Light Novel to the point where they aren't the same story.

You know how OPM fans complain about the Animation which wasn't even bad, they do it because Art was one of the main charms of the Manga.
Same Classroom of the Elite, Characters and Inner Monologue of Ayanokouji is why Classroom of the Elite is so Good, in the Anime no one can give a damn about any other character than Ayanokouji

It's like a Live-Adaptation of Animes, like no one in the production side cares about Classroom of the Elite, they just want Money.

It's not that Anime is good since it has 8 rating or Bad since LN readers hate it, but that the target audience is completely changed, it's basically like SAO with a slightly better plot
AltNMar 15, 3:26 AM
Mar 15, 8:49 AM
Mar 2021
I basically copy pasting it from my other comment.

First of all the author and Japanese audience are completely fine with how they are adapting it. They love each and every episode, despite reading LN. The only problem with is international readers or global readers, who just can't forget that you have to adapt it perfectly, then only we will support. If the toxic of anime is coming from then it's all Global readers, as Japanese fans aren't toxic like that.
Mar 15, 9:19 AM
Dec 2022
Omarumba said:

art is indeed subjective
Mar 15, 9:26 AM

Feb 2021
I had the pleasure to read the light novel before watching the anime.

The experience is a lot better this way.
Mar 15, 10:14 AM
Dec 2019
I, to this day, will never understand. Someone brought up a good point about it only being the West primarily hating on the anime, and some other global light novel readers too. But the anime isn’t bad; you just have to have the cognitive ability to separate adaptation from adaptation, which 45% of people don’t have. Like, how are we three seasons in and people still complaining and lacking the ability to adapt and enjoy what’s in front of them? I read both year 1 and 2. I get it takes hours that most of us don’t have nowadays, since most of us were in junior high or high school when this came out or discovered it, but season 1 set the pace for how they were going to go about the anime. I, and 50% of people, absolutely enjoyed the first season, which is why we got two more and possibly another one on the way. Year 2 is going to be a movie! Why does it get hate? Skipped content. Again, some people just can’t figure it the fuck out and realize this isn’t 1:1, which isn’t entirely a bad thing since what they do adapt is well-paced, makes sense, and works for this adaptation. Clearly, if you want the full experience, read the light novel, but keep in mind it’s reading, so unless you like reading, then enjoy the next countless hours reading. But the anime does a great job alone, but because it’s not 1:1, there’s always going to be some dork who spends his days reading a light novel and not touching grass to hate my top three favorite anime.
Mar 15, 11:57 AM
Jul 2020
KimDokjaCompany said:

See its a weird one for me because I've read up to year 2 Volume 7, and am waiting for a paperback english translation of Volume 8, but I remember the chess match in the light novel feeling a little rushed and underwhelming, because ayanokouji was like "I made this play, she made a great play back" but never specified each move. I don't know loads about chess, but i know enough to follow it and hoped they'd use genuine pro level plays seen in real life, with a little description or monologue by ayanokouji explaining them. That would have grounded it a lot whilst allowing both characters to actually feel like geniuses, so I was hoping the anime would make it better, but I haven't seen it yet (been waiting to binge season 3).

But yeah, I think generally people big up the light novels too much. I get things are cut and I appreciate reading the fair amount of content that haven't or probably won't be adapted, but the anime is a pretty fair representation of the show as a whole.

I remember at first I made the excuse that the side characters feel more human in the novel and less like anime tropes or two dimensional characters, but if I'm honest they come accross that way in the novels too in my opinion. Especially when they are drawn, like kushida's double personality was pretty accurately represented. I think that's just the type of series it is. It's grounded in reality, but I think the characters are pretty much just:

A generic anime trope character, "with an edgy twist".

Admittedly I do think the light novels do it slightly better, but at the end of the day I think that's ultimately because it's more accustomed to imagination, and it's easier to make excuses for the characters to make them feel more grounded and realistic in your head.

Overall, Classroom of the Elite is a great show to me personally that I get a lot of enjoyment from, and compared to other stories in the medium it's much more fun and interesting, but it's nowhere near on the level of my favorite show, Attack on titan, for example. It's hard to rate it that high when I know the amount of time and effort anxiety creativity goes into other shows that thoroughly deserve it more.

I watched season 1 ages ago and begged for a season 2, then when it was finally announced I watched it, and then picked up the light novels. I've really enjoyed the light novels, but I went into them expecting them to be leagues better than the show and it's just not true. I do think they have more time to develop things: characters in the anime seemingly come out of nowhere from the reaction videos I've seen, but it's more natural in the ln and they are mentioned subtly throughout, and things are naturally more fleshed out. Since season 1 though (with the horikita and karuizawa switch up and poor adaptation of Volume 4.5), I think the adaptation has done a solid job.

I do think the show has a weird issue I've noticed as well, which is that the endings to the arcs are amazing, but the rest of the seasons feel a little underwhelming in comparison.

My opinion on it changes every time I read or watch the next thing it releases, but yeah that's my thoughts on it.

Not that any of you asked, sorry for the ranf 😂
Mar 15, 12:00 PM
Oct 2021
Cloughy04 said:
KimDokjaCompany said:

See its a weird one for me because I've read up to year 2 Volume 7, and am waiting for a paperback english translation of Volume 8, but I remember the chess match in the light novel feeling a little rushed and underwhelming, because ayanokouji was like "I made this play, she made a great play back" but never specified each move. I don't know loads about chess, but i know enough to follow it and hoped they'd use genuine pro level plays seen in real life, with a little description or monologue by ayanokouji explaining them. That would have grounded it a lot whilst allowing both characters to actually feel like geniuses, so I was hoping the anime would make it better, but I haven't seen it yet (been waiting to binge season 3).

But yeah, I think generally people big up the light novels too much. I get things are cut and I appreciate reading the fair amount of content that haven't or probably won't be adapted, but the anime is a pretty fair representation of the show as a whole.

I remember at first I made the excuse that the side characters feel more human in the novel and less like anime tropes or two dimensional characters, but if I'm honest they come accross that way in the novels too in my opinion. Especially when they are drawn, like kushida's double personality was pretty accurately represented. I think that's just the type of series it is. It's grounded in reality, but I think the characters are pretty much just:

A generic anime trope character, "with an edgy twist".

Admittedly I do think the light novels do it slightly better, but at the end of the day I think that's ultimately because it's more accustomed to imagination, and it's easier to make excuses for the characters to make them feel more grounded and realistic in your head.

Overall, Classroom of the Elite is a great show to me personally that I get a lot of enjoyment from, and compared to other stories in the medium it's much more fun and interesting, but it's nowhere near on the level of my favorite show, Attack on titan, for example. It's hard to rate it that high when I know the amount of time and effort anxiety creativity goes into other shows that thoroughly deserve it more.

I watched season 1 ages ago and begged for a season 2, then when it was finally announced I watched it, and then picked up the light novels. I've really enjoyed the light novels, but I went into them expecting them to be leagues better than the show and it's just not true. I do think they have more time to develop things: characters in the anime seemingly come out of nowhere from the reaction videos I've seen, but it's more natural in the ln and they are mentioned subtly throughout, and things are naturally more fleshed out. Since season 1 though (with the horikita and karuizawa switch up and poor adaptation of Volume 4.5), I think the adaptation has done a solid job.

I do think the show has a weird issue I've noticed as well, which is that the endings to the arcs are amazing, but the rest of the seasons feel a little underwhelming in comparison.

My opinion on it changes every time I read or watch the next thing it releases, but yeah that's my thoughts on it.

Not that any of you asked, sorry for the ranf 😂

I agree with that a 100%. And not that it's a competition but my imagination wins.
@NoIdea
Mar 15, 12:20 PM
Nov 2020
i think animation wise its alright
wht i dont like being a light novel reader is the little changes they do that change the whole vibe of the anime
EXEMPLE : koji is not that edgy and doesnt say "that should do it " EVERY F.CKING SCENE
also, he really wants to enjoy his time with Kei
and there are other things like the inner monolgues and stuff
but generally they keep the main points so im not mad abt the adaptation
Mar 15, 12:39 PM
Aug 2021
I like him edgy. I think it is cool even though it is unrealistic, but hey, the whole concept is unrealistic. Also, I just prefer anime. I don't like reading LNs, nor do I want to, I can barely tolerate reading Manga. I like reading but for the Anime style I perfer the Anime rather than Manga or especially LN
Mar 15, 2:03 PM
Mar 2021
CursedRage said:
I like him edgy. I think it is cool even though it is unrealistic, but hey, the whole concept is unrealistic. Also, I just prefer anime. I don't like reading LNs, nor do I want to, I can barely tolerate reading Manga. I like reading but for the Anime style I perfer the Anime rather than Manga or especially LN

I think a big reason LN readers are annoyed is because the existence of the CotE anime basically means its impossible for the LN to get a proper adaptation now.

I personally like the show but if let's say they adapted the Vinland Saga manga and made Thorfinn a completely different character who never underwent any growth and just kept being the immature brat he was in S1, the manga readers (myself included) would be extremely pissed off because they changed a core aspect of what defines the series, it's main character.

In short, they've robbed the Cote fans of a faithful adaptation, which is sad.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e 3rd Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 27

212 by PanditaMimilona »»
Sep 16, 6:33 PM

Poll: » Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e 3rd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 20

143 by Matheus050 »»
Sep 9, 4:45 PM

» Not just bout this anime.

Avamarie316 - Sep 5

14 by DragyG »»
Sep 6, 7:17 AM

» 4th season announced ( 1 2 )

Dbagas8 - Aug 31

59 by Insane_0_2 »»
Sep 3, 8:43 PM

Poll: » Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e 3rd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 13

143 by Matheus050 »»
Sep 2, 10:12 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.