Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 11, 6:27 PM

Apr 2015
I've been curious about Yu-Gi-Oh for a long time now and I'm really curious whether I should start with the anime or manga, From what I gather, The manga has a more cohesive story but the anime has soundtracks and is iconic in the sense that it had a huge influence on the card game market. If any of you have read the manga, would you say the manga is superior if consumed before or after the anime?
Mar 11, 6:43 PM

Jul 2022
That's such a tough question to answer since obviously I can only have consumed one of them first.

I started with the anime as a kid and didn't read the manga until I was an adult, but I I enjoyed the manga quite a bit better.

The anime suffers from some pacing/filler issues that the manga does not, but I don't think that there's a "right" order in this case.
Mar 11, 6:53 PM

Apr 2015
Reply to alexw1020
That's such a tough question to answer since obviously I can only have consumed one of them first.

I started with the anime as a kid and didn't read the manga until I was an adult, but I I enjoyed the manga quite a bit better.

The anime suffers from some pacing/filler issues that the manga does not, but I don't think that there's a "right" order in this case.
@alexw1020 Haha yeah, It is a very weird question but I wanted opinions from people who've consumed Yu-Gi-Oh in either form. Since I can only experience It once unspoiled but from what I hear, The anime and manga are quite different so I think whichever I do first, won't hurt my experience overall since I will eventually do them both.

The manga is so much faster to consume though, while the anime will take me awhile xD
Mar 12, 1:08 AM

Jan 2024
The manga is your best bet as it feels like a cohesive story, then later maybe give the anime a try to see how much they butchered it and changed, and then watch either GX or 5D's. Zexal is optional depending on if you like the style or not, and that's it, these are all the good entries the franchise has to offer.
Mar 12, 1:32 AM
Oct 2019
I give you my own order in which I do it decide for yourself how you see it fit.
1) manga then R then prequel to dark side of dimensions
2) dark side of dimensions sub then whole series sub
3) dub for nostalgia note to end the journey (whole reason I brought the complete series set)
Mar 12, 11:57 AM

May 2021
The manga is absolutely the better starting point. The anime cuts out most of the first 7 volumes, and aside from the fact that that material was already fantastic in the manga, those cuts also notably weaken a lot of the character development in the early arcs the anime adapts. This isn’t even mentioning the anime actively rewriting arcs, and often in significantly worse form. And then there’s the filler on top of that…

In terms of presentation, while the anime doesn’t necessarily look bad, it really can’t compete with Kazuki Takahashi’s legendary art and paneling.
Barely catching my breath!
Lay my eyes on the crest!
Gonna square up to all of the heat that is left!
So I carry the torch! To Inferno! Inferno!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yu☆Gi☆Oh! Chapter 127 Discussion

removed-user - Aug 9, 2019

2 by Queeneugi »»
Mar 16, 8:41 AM

» I find it impressive that Kazuki Takahashi was able to write the Pharaoh's Memories arc as cohesive as he did considering he was hospitalized and was on a lot of medication when he wrote it

MonsterTeeth - Aug 19, 2023

6 by removed-user »»
Dec 19, 2023 11:23 PM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Chapter 1 Discussion

thecatchphrase - Jan 20, 2012

14 by Rob »»
Dec 17, 2023 11:47 PM

» When this aspect of Yami Bakura's identity was revealed in the final arc, what did you think of it?

MonsterTeeth - Aug 25, 2023

2 by Rob »»
Dec 17, 2023 10:39 AM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Chapter 4 Discussion

DeleteThisShit - Dec 22, 2013

4 by FMmatron »»
Nov 20, 2023 5:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.