Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 20, 11:12 AM
Dec 2013
What is it about Vagabond that makes it so good? Why is it such a good series? What makes it unique compared to other manga? Does it have any flaws at all?
wildhoodMar 11, 9:17 AM
Feb 20, 11:25 AM
Nov 2021
EVERYTHING!!!!!!
Feb 20, 12:15 PM
Feb 2024
wildhood said:
What is it about Vagabond that makes it so good? Why is it such a good series? Does it have any flaws at all?

Vagabond is character-based,it doesn't really have a grandiose story like Berserk or Vinland saga,even the action and fights (which are probably the best in any manga i've seen) are primarily introspective ones that mirror the nature of each character,but even tho The depth of the characters is an important aspect it's not everything,what really makes it special imo is the masterful storytelling of takehiko inoue. he lets you discover every dimension of the characters and all the perspectives from which to see them from,and somehow you feel like you are THERE in 17th century japan,his writing and art translate very complicated concepts in creative ways + you learn a lot too,if you read closely you'll understand some pretty good things.
and i'd say in my opinion it's perfect but it's not for everybody cuz i think you got to relate to some level to musashi for you to really get into it.
if you're not hooked on it after the end of the first arc then maybe it's not for you.
Feb 20, 12:58 PM
Feb 2021
For me a big part of enjoying Vagabond was the Artwork. Besides that the Fights and the Characters are just great.
Feb 20, 1:12 PM
Jan 2024
The art, the action, the story and its pacing, the characters, the fact it’s based on the real Musashi, it’s a true masterpiece.
Feb 20, 4:23 PM
Apr 2023
I really love its art style very much. I love how characters are well written. If new chapter will not ever come out, then i am happy thinking that my man musashi is now enjoying his life with otsu as a sword instructor 😊.
Feb 20, 6:39 PM
Apr 2022
Everything perfect according to my last details
Feb 20, 6:53 PM
Mar 2021
Makjaljitin said:
wildhood said:
What is it about Vagabond that makes it so good? Why is it such a good series? Does it have any flaws at all?

Vagabond is character-based,it doesn't really have a grandiose story like Berserk or Vinland saga,even the action and fights (which are probably the best in any manga i've seen) are primarily introspective ones that mirror the nature of each character,but even tho The depth of the characters is an important aspect it's not everything,what really makes it special imo is the masterful storytelling of takehiko inoue. he lets you discover every dimension of the characters and all the perspectives from which to see them from,and somehow you feel like you are THERE in 17th century japan,his writing and art translate very complicated concepts in creative ways + you learn a lot too,if you read closely you'll understand some pretty good things.
and i'd say in my opinion it's perfect but it's not for everybody cuz i think you got to relate to some level to musashi for you to really get into it.
if you're not hooked on it after the end of the first arc then maybe it's not for you.

Vinland saga (at least the first half ish) and berserk r very much character driven story’s aswell tho
Feb 20, 8:50 PM

Jun 2017
Foremostly, a character driven story coupled with refined and masterfully executed artwork. Vagabond doesn't leave you astray (except the hiatus) with its narrative, on the contrary it invites you in to introspect and contemplate about yourself. Characterizations are substantially one of the effective points of this series. Although, this very aspect is really a twofold thing. I think, on one hand, it's very insightful to see the growth, developments of the characters and how they come to be but on the other side of the story, because of this overtly character-centric approach of storytelling, there lacks a broader objectivity of the plot, – "Farming Arc" being the exception, which is by the way, kills and revitalizes you with essential humane substances and providing historical anecdotes, i.e. a glimpse into those heartwrenching conditions of the subaltern people from that era.
Feb 20, 10:02 PM
Nov 2022
perfection.. peak characters, peak story, peak manga
Feb 20, 10:08 PM
Jun 2016
Mangastache said:
The art, the action, the story and its pacing, the characters, the fact it’s based on the real Musashi, it’s a true masterpiece.

Real based answer, i dont need to answer anymore, u said it urself sir
Feb 20, 10:32 PM
Jul 2018
Vagabond shows what is a real masculinity, what makes it good that it’s inspired from a real life person and how realistic every character is. It is the story that I didn’t expected in this medium, it’s philosophical, inspiring and much more than just mode of an entertainment.
Feb 20, 11:49 PM
Aug 2021
just show someone a vagabond panel and they will understand why vagabond is so great.
Feb 21, 4:59 AM
Dec 2022
It has flaws but pros outweigh the cons, what makes vagabond good is from the technical aspects of art being splendid to the narrative giving this sensation of noble and disciplined masculinity, it has a great intro that gets right off to the start and never did it really feel slow except till it reaches the whole sasaki kojiro backstory arc where story focuses drops from musashi to kojiros. Definitely worth a read, one of the best samurai stories ever.

On the side note, fight scenes and just panels and character designs are just so badass, you can just feel straight passion from inoue and the only reason why its even been on hiatus since 2015 is because of the same reason, he wanted to be accurate in the lore of musashi miyamoto which is why he took a break to finish real first.
itzswxzyFeb 21, 5:02 AM
Feb 21, 5:01 AM
Feb 2024
24846 said:
Makjaljitin said:

Vinland saga (at least the first half ish) and berserk r very much character driven story’s aswell tho

Yes ofc but not as much as vagabond,there is literally nothing going on in vagabond outside musashi's journey (and kojiro's too but that's just to build up for their fight)
Feb 21, 9:21 AM
Nov 2021
the themes of the manga, and the art
Feb 21, 2:39 PM

Feb 2021
Musashi, and more importantly his self journey of understanding himself, the world, heaven and earth and others, while questioning himself every step of the way, along with amazing paneling and art and dynamic fights make the manga great and stand out.

The manga does have flaws. It suffers from repetitiveness and some incoherency with the order of the arcs, some forgotten minor plot points and inefficient use of some characters.

All around the manga is amazing and certainly does deserve the praise that it gets. I think it is fair to at least agree on this.
Feb 21, 10:37 PM
Sep 2023
art artstyle pacing panelling the fights were all timer unreal stuffs + the other things like charcter development/ MUSHASHI THE GOAT HIMSELF+ OTSU CHAAN etc
Feb 22, 3:10 AM
May 2023
there is cool samurai men
Feb 22, 9:32 AM
May 2023
Everything art, history, lessons, values... Literally everything.🙏
Feb 24, 8:01 AM
May 2022
wildhood said:
What is it about Vagabond that makes it so good? Why is it such a good series? What makes it unique compared to other manga? Does it have any flaws at all?

it has no flaws not one its perfection
Feb 25, 12:44 AM
Aug 2022
arguibly the goat when it comes to art, the mc, the 2nd mc, antagonists and cuz is philosophical, violent and every single arc is fye
Feb 26, 7:35 AM
Aug 2020
So for me Vagabond is so good because before.i even knee about it I had listened to an audibook called Musashi which was probably the best audibook I've ever heard and tell the whole story of his life in detail with every character. So it was really cool to get to read a manga and see the characters and inous interpretation of what they look like which imo where spot on to what you would picture in your head. It's not like Vagabond has a magnificent plot with twists or huge action scenes and powers but it's just so good because of the amazing art which the mangaka never got lazy with plus the fact that it just immerses you into the world of Senkoku period japan which is one of the coolest periods in japanese history. plus you get all of the characters who each have there own story that's not bland or vanilla so everyone is interesting and the manga has zero filler chapters. Now if only Vagabond was a bit easier for people to read because it was kind of hard to get the books for awhile until they made new ones and there isn't any manga sites or apps that have scanned it in English for free that I've ever seen. Not sure if paid manga company's have it to read online either like VIZ or Shonen. But it's one that's worth paying for. I have a few of the copies and there expensive but worth it.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vagabond Chapter 327 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Interstice - May 24, 2015

105 by wafflegir »»
Apr 16, 8:50 PM

Poll: » Vagabond Chapter 2 Discussion

jeanfarias - Jan 15, 2012

16 by Goongalar »»
Apr 13, 4:53 PM

Poll: » Vagabond Chapter 59 Discussion

DeleteThisShit - Nov 28, 2013

13 by dantehasdantedme »»
Apr 12, 11:54 PM

Poll: » Vagabond Chapter 322 Discussion

Nidhoeggr - Jan 19, 2014

37 by astoneon »»
Apr 11, 1:52 PM

Poll: » Vagabond Chapter 315 Discussion

Raikoye - May 25, 2013

13 by astoneon »»
Apr 11, 1:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.