Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 15, 6:57 PM
Dec 2022
I just finished the original Fate/stay night and I was wondering should I watch Fate Zero or Fate/stay night Unlimited Blade Works next?
Feb 15, 7:27 PM

Mar 2023
Yes, of course!

Since you watched Stay Night from 2006, I highly recommend you watch UBW next. At first you'll think it's an improved version of Stay Night 2006, but it's a different story (you watched root Caber, and it's root Rin). Then you can watch the Heaven's Feel trilogy, that's Sakura's root. Well Zero acts as a prequel in this story, you can watch it anytime you want.
Feb 15, 7:28 PM

Mar 2013
I would say Unlimited Bladeworks followed by the Heaven's Feel movie (The recent ones) before Fate/Zero. Fate/Zero is a prequel series written after the original visual novels and includes heavy spoilers for the original visual novels upon which UBW and HF are based on.
Feb 15, 7:38 PM
Mar 2023
Go for unlimited blade works then the heavens feel movies then fate zero once your done that go for the spin offs and other side content the fate series is amazing
Feb 15, 10:38 PM
Jan 2023
many people might tell you to watch UBW but i recommend you follow the release order so watch fate zero first then watch UBW because if you watch UBW first then you get some serious spoilers of fate zero
Feb 15, 11:13 PM

Mar 2023
Reply to tanjim_ahsan16
many people might tell you to watch UBW but i recommend you follow the release order so watch fate zero first then watch UBW because if you watch UBW first then you get some serious spoilers of fate zero
@tanjim_ahsan16 Phew, another sane person.....
I'm serious.

Zero spoiler Stay Nights, and Stay Nights spoiler Zero. Everyone decides for themselves what they want to watch first, but I gather not everyone still realizes that. The only argument such geniuses have is that Zero is a prequel and "therefore cannot be spoilered", genius.
Feb 15, 11:15 PM

Jun 2016
Reply to tanjim_ahsan16
@tanjim_ahsan16 Of course it does. When Zero came out it was assumed that people reading it would be familiar with the source material (fate/stay night). This is how prequels work.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Feb 15, 11:25 PM

Mar 2023
Reply to Theo1899
@tanjim_ahsan16 Of course it does. When Zero came out it was assumed that people reading it would be familiar with the source material (fate/stay night). This is how prequels work.
@Theo1899 I don't care how the prequels work if we're talking about anime adaptations. Zero is a standalone story that deserves to be watched without spoilers just like Stay Night. .
Feb 15, 11:55 PM

Jan 2017
infinite_Shadows said:
I just finished the original Fate/stay night and I was wondering should I watch Fate Zero or Fate/stay night Unlimited Blade Works next?

It would be stupid to ruin the flow of the story by watching Zero in-between. So just continue with Unlimited Blade Works and Heaven's Feel, and only then watch Zero.

I see that you already watched the first adaptation (Movie) of Unlimited Blade Works tho, so you already know the story. Just enjoy the high quality art and animation of the TV Series, i guess.
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... & hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Feb 16, 12:01 AM

Jan 2017
tanjim_ahsan16 said:

He already watched the 2006's Anime, so the pretended spoilers are irrelevant, tho.

Omarumba said:
The only argument such geniuses have is that Zero is a prequel and "therefore cannot be spoilered", genius.

I mean, you obviously know nothing about how to do story-telling, and especially not about the uses of Prequels and Sequels stories, so yeah, you can ironize all you want.

I won't be able to makes you learn it, as it would need years, but you should try to search yourself about it. It's extremely interesting, and may enlighten you about the choices of some Authors in their works, making you fully realize how brillant they truly are.

The funny (maddening) thing, is that if the Fate/Zero Anime was titled Season 4, or if Fate was a long running series with Zero part of it, we wouldn't even see such debates. Like, did you already saw people trying to debate when to watch the flashback of Minato in Naruto ? Or the flashback of Grisha from Shingeki no Kyojin ? Kinda unfortunate that Japan is used to names their Prequels as "Zero" when they are released in different format, unlike Hollywood.
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... & hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Feb 16, 3:18 AM

Mar 2023
Reply to Alexioos95
tanjim_ahsan16 said:

He already watched the 2006's Anime, so the pretended spoilers are irrelevant, tho.

Omarumba said:
The only argument such geniuses have is that Zero is a prequel and "therefore cannot be spoilered", genius.

I mean, you obviously know nothing about how to do story-telling, and especially not about the uses of Prequels and Sequels stories, so yeah, you can ironize all you want.

I won't be able to makes you learn it, as it would need years, but you should try to search yourself about it. It's extremely interesting, and may enlighten you about the choices of some Authors in their works, making you fully realize how brillant they truly are.

The funny (maddening) thing, is that if the Fate/Zero Anime was titled Season 4, or if Fate was a long running series with Zero part of it, we wouldn't even see such debates. Like, did you already saw people trying to debate when to watch the flashback of Minato in Naruto ? Or the flashback of Grisha from Shingeki no Kyojin ? Kinda unfortunate that Japan is used to names their Prequels as "Zero" when they are released in different format, unlike Hollywood.
@Alexioos95 Hello again, I thought I had already discussed this topic with you earlier and we were done, but okay.

Believe me, I know how stories are told, that's why I say what you don't agree with. The reciprocal "irony" on your part was excellent, I will continue to learn the craft of storytelling for years to come! However, I still don't understand what you are trying and have tried to prove to me. We're talking about anime adaptations, and I wasn't originally disagreeing with what you said about starting to watch Fate/Stay Nights and then Zero. However, I also said that the reverse is also the case, but I see you're a stubborn person and don't understand the point I'm making. Ok.

Fate/Zero could not have been called Season 4, think for yourself why. If it was called that, it would resonate.
Feb 16, 4:23 AM

Jan 2017
Omarumba said:
Believe me, I know how stories are told, that's why I say what you don't agree with.

If you know how the way of story-telling works, how can you not realize you are killing the intentions behind the way these stories were made ?

You stifle the mystery of the characters' origins and pasts, which is literally how the themes of Stay Night are conveyed, as well as the discomfort of watching a tragedy unfold the way we know it'll ends in the bonus material that Zero is ?

And for what, what would you gain by doing so ? The only answers would be about the better explanations of the Holy Grail War, which in return kills some of the mystery of Stay Night, and the addition of a Thriller feeling to Zero, which again, is against the intentions of the story.

Omarumba said:
We're talking about anime adaptations, and I wasn't originally disagreeing with what you said about starting to watch Fate/Stay Nights and then Zero. However, I also said that the reverse is also the case, but I see you're a stubborn person and don't understand the point I'm making. Ok.

Talking about the original stories or their direct adaptations changes absolutely nothing to the stories themselves, and their meanings and intentions. It only changes your perception of it, because you may not have the complete subtext behind it (because of the producers). Unless talking about only vague adaptations, taking only few elements, and changing all the rest, creating a whole new story with it.

I don't disagree that you can start the franchise with Zero, but it's something that shouldn't be done. While it's kinda low to say that, you can also start a franchise by watching the last episode first, or picking random episode one after another, until you watched everything; you can perfectly enjoy it like that, but you are, in fact, twisting what the story is, just for the sake of it (which is something the Peach Boy Riverside Anime did, for no reason).

Omarumba said:
Fate/Zero could not have been called Season 4, think for yourself why. If it was called that, it would resonate.

With how Aniplex did everything to get money out of Ufotable (Kara no Kyoukai into Zero into UBW into HF), changing the title of only one entry is impossible, especially with how Japan usually name their series...

However, what if the Fate adaptations were numbered instead; like Kara no Kyoukai ? What if UBW's Remake and HF's adaptation never happened ? What if all Routes were in a long-running Anime ?
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... & hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Feb 16, 5:29 AM
Jan 2023
Alexioos95 said:
tanjim_ahsan16 said:

Omarumba said:

I'm not talking about 2006 series I'm talking about UBW here check the release order UBW released 2 years after fate zero the 2006 fate stay night released before fate zero so it doesn't spoile something major about fate zero's incident it only spoile the ending of fate zero but UBW released after fate zero so it doesn't hold back giving major spoilers about fate zero for example what happens with rin's dad and many more serious spoilers but if you prefer watching UBW before fate zero then it's your choice you can watch how you prefer but i always recommend following the release order fate zero is not just the prequel of UBW fate zero released before UBW if fate was a continuing series then fate stay night 2006 is the season 1 fate zero is season 2 and UBW is season 3 so i don't see any reason to watch UBW before fate zero
tanjim_ahsan16Feb 16, 5:32 AM
Feb 16, 5:41 AM

Jan 2017
tanjim_ahsan16 said:
if fate was a continuing series then fate stay night 2006 is the season 1 fate zero is season 2 and UBW is season 3 so i don't see any reason to watch UBW before fate zero

That's because you are missing all the infos. Actually, Fate/Zero is the 4th Season.

The 2006 Anime, Unlimited Blade Works and Heaven's Feel are adapted from the Fate/Stay Night Visual Novel from 2004, while Fate/Zero is adapted from the Light Novel from 2006 with the same name.

Aniplex wanted to make more money with the Fate franchise, which always has been big in Japan, but the Visual Novel was already adapted with the Anime from 2006... so they adapted Fate/Zero instead, which was more recent.

The Anime of Fate/Zero became a tremendous success for them, so they tried to make even more money by adapting Unlimited Blade Works and Heaven's Feel, retro-actively. So in summary, they released Season 4 between Season 1 & 2 because it made more money like that.

In case you are not aware, the Unlimited Blade Works by Ufotable is in reality a Remake of the 2010s Movie. So even if you take the release date of the Animes alone, it doesn't hold the ground.

It's true that Unlimited Blade Works is the story which is the less impacted by the spoilers of Fate/Zero, tho.
Alexioos95Feb 16, 5:45 AM
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... & hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Feb 16, 6:56 AM
Jun 2016
While it truly doesn’t matter which order you watch with UBW and Zero, I always recommend UBW before Zero. Both spoil each other as many others have already pointed out, so it’s mostly your choice to pick which one you want spoiled. The reason I recommend UBW before Zero is that, while Zero takes place first chronologically here, it was created AFTER Fate/Stay Night, and thus made under the assumption that people would be going into Zero with the knowledge of Fate/Stay Night. Yes, I am aware that the ANIME for UBW was made after the ANIME of Zero, but Zero released after the source material of Stay Night, so I think my point still stands.

Now where I’ll contradict myself is when I say you should watch Heaven’s Feel after Zero (I know that wasn’t part of the original question but it would naturally get brought up in due time). While you could apply my same UBW argument to saying Heaven’s Feel should be watched before Zero, I feel that the Fate route and the UBW route both have a similar enough vibe that either one is a decent starting point. I would NEVER recommend Heaven’s Feel as a starting point for anyone. Heaven’s Feel is extremely different from Fate and UBW and introduces plot elements that make a lot more sense with knowledge of Zero, and in my opinion makes for a better viewing experience.

So in my opinion to best handle the various spoilers, I recommend UBW -> Zero -> Heaven’s Feel. But in the end, everything spoils everything, nothing truly matters, just go and enjoy Fate
Feb 16, 8:29 AM
Feb 2022
Watch ubw, then watch heavens feel movies. then go for zero and then watch lord el-melloi-2 case files.

Zero if watched before ubw and hf can give spoiler regarding hf annd hamper your enjoyment a bit.

I am also glad you watched the 2006 version. Many people ignore it. Deen's 2006 version rightfully captures the vibe, the atmosphere and the tone of the visual novel better than the ufotable version. And i personally believe one should watch fate stay night 2006 before going for ubw and hf as it is a great introduction to the series, the settings, the characters etc. Though the direction of ufotable version is much better.
Feb 24, 11:16 AM
Nov 2023
infinite_Shadows said:

Zero you should have watched it first honestly. It's the best Fate!

More topics from this board

» VN fan are annoying as Hell

chevalierkraken - Apr 23

30 by Alexioos95 »»
3 hours ago

» Why do people consider 2006 Fate/Stay Night anime bad?

zckfox - May 13, 2023

45 by chevalierkraken »»
Apr 25, 10:10 AM

» Seriously bro

Yeshaiah2015yesh - Apr 9

10 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 10, 4:55 AM

Poll: » This or Unlimited Blade Works

Fukoku - Mar 28

13 by deg »»
Mar 31, 9:07 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Ruzgfpegk - Jul 3, 2008

135 by ToG25thBaam »»
Mar 7, 8:25 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.