Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 6, 3:09 PM
Oct 2022
ejleon said:
Nyron said:
shouldn't this loser have enough self esteem by now to let the girls like him without being literally shackled to him?

When someone does not pay attention and follow a story, they end up writing comments that just make them look bad, instead of the show/character they are trying to insult.

Anyone actually watching the story knows what’s going on and the good relationship these characters have with each other.

Naofumi Iwatani was betrayed by literally everyone in the country, except a small few, which means he couldn’t trust anyone.

This left him with the only option of getting slaves, as a way to get help and to make sure they didn’t betray him or stab him in the back, like the princess of the nation did.

He did not mistreat Raphtalia, he healed her of her sickness, clothed and fed her, gave her confidence, and taught her to fight.

He did not mistreat Filo either, he took care of her, fed her, got her a wagon, which made her really happy, and helped her with the Queen of Filolias Fitoria.

He provided them with weapons, he saved them, he protected them, and he fought for them many times.

And then later, the girls Raphtalia & Filo, freely chose to remain “slaves” for the power / experience boost they both received, in fact, the girls convinced Rishia to become a slave to get more powerful faster.

As a slave, particularly with Raphtalia and Filo, they are Naofumi's property.

He showed his caring/consideration towards them, yes, but that is a guy taking good care of his property.

Yes, a farmer isn't going to mistreat the cow that provides him milk or the the chicken that provides him eggs. He will take care of them and provide them with food and provide them with medicine when they are sick. Call the vet is needed. Protect them from harm.

If the sled dog is your transportation, you will not stand by and watch their leg hurt.

The more an item is integral to your survival, the more you will protect it. If you have a device that makes water in the desert, you better believe you will fight for it. And if you're only offense in a hostile world is your raccoon item, you will protect it and keep it by your side.

We take care of things that aren't even that important. If you got a PS5 brand new, you didn't want it broken.

Showing a slave well cared for doesn't mean they aren't slaves for their master.

Now, your best point is that after gaining freedom they chose to stay. Unfortunately, we already understand both Stockholm syndrome and grooming. Since we watch Naofumi raise them both from children, it's clear that they were malleable. Seeing them as adults, choose to stay with the only thing they know, doesn't change what happened.

"But you don't understand the characters. The show. The xyz."

No, I'm just looking at it honestly. If someone couldn't leave on their own and were made to work for you, they were slaves. If you kept them long enough to convince them to stay with you because you are what they know, it shows your kindness OR your Effectiveness as a slave master, but it doesn't make you not a slave master.

If one can't watch a show and both see the in-world situations, and compare and contrast that with the real world and provide an honest critique, they really don't need to be defend the show beyond entertainment value. Only when they realize that stories, while entertaining, also convey messages, and can disect and analyze those messages (the intended And unintended), are they really engaging with a story.

I'm not saying you're wrong if you enjoy it. I'm just saying these responses aren't coming across as having done an analysis of the story and characters beyond the entertainment they provide. It's an important factor in any story, just not the only one.

No worries, though. I can understand why you'd want to respond with "ignorant" and "you are just making yourselves look bad" in your position. Just enjoy the show. You shouldn't be forced to think about every little factor of the media you consume. Sometimes you just want the chill, relax, and enjoy what you enjoy. I think that's fine and you should do that.
LucenProjectFeb 6, 3:35 PM
Feb 6, 3:32 PM
Oct 2022
ejleon said:

If fallacious arguments using “ad hominem” — attacking the person, instead of discussing the topic — is all you have, then you lost already.

You're absolutely, 100% correct here! Nothing about You or how you've rated other shows should factor into the evaluation of the points you make on this topic!
Feb 6, 3:55 PM
Jan 2009
Reply to LucenProject
ejleon said:

If fallacious arguments using “ad hominem” — attacking the person, instead of discussing the topic — is all you have, then you lost already.

You're absolutely, 100% correct here! Nothing about You or how you've rated other shows should factor into the evaluation of the points you make on this topic!
@LucenProject He hasn't raised any "points" on the topic lmao. He's just posting in-universe jargon explanations about why the show has a slavery kink. His posts are the equivalent of empty calories and if you look at his "i've watched 500 awful shows with a mean rating of 9/10" you can see why. The root of all arguments is the person making them, hth. The only people who cry "ad hominem" are the ones with nothing of substance to say.

I ain't gonna sit here and read 100 lines of "well actually he fucks kids because the glorbo orb gives him +10 DEX" and go "ah, good discussion, i am enlightened now"
Feb 6, 4:09 PM
Oct 2022
Nyron said:
@LucenProject He hasn't raised any "points" on the topic lmao. He's just posting in-universe jargon explanations about why the show has a slavery kink. His posts are the equivalent of empty calories and if you look at his "i've watched 500 awful shows with a mean rating of 9/10" you can see why. The root of all arguments is the person making them, hth. The only people who cry "ad hominem" are the ones with nothing of substance to say.

I ain't gonna sit here and read 100 lines of "well actually he fucks kids because the glorbo orb gives him +10 DEX" and go "ah, good discussion, i am enlightened now"

I don't agree with his arguments, but he did make some. His rating on other shows, don't rebut the argument that Naofumi was betrayed (suggesting trust issues, an aspect the slave crest would address) or that Naofumi had no other choice but to purchase slaves (which would be rebutted by an example of another choice) or that Naofumi treated/treats the girls well (which itself doesn't rebut the point that they are still slaves).
Feb 6, 4:59 PM
Mar 2022
i think its a two part answer. the first is due to a certain princess betraying him. any creature/person with a slave crest can't disobey him and naofumi can monitor them. the second part is due to the shield's slave user series that increases the rate at which his slaves mature and grow. this set was unlocked when raphtalia had her slave crest reapplied after naofumi and motoyasu's duel, and indirectly referenced when rishia was given a slave crest. if the slaves were just in naofumi's party without the crest, sure they would level up like any normal party member, but the slave shields boost their growth. their stats are probably boosted by the shield's innate power-up ability on top of the slave shield series, but thats me speculating.
Feb 6, 5:16 PM

Apr 2021
Response to LucenProject

Here is what is really going on here …

— Eisegesis (what you two are doing), reads into the text what the interpreter wishes to find or thinks he finds there. It expresses the reader's own subjective ideas, not the meaning which is in the text.

— Exegesis (what you two are not doing) is legitimate interpretation which ‘reads out of' the text what the original author or authors meant to convey.

Both of you ignored what was actually happening in the show …

1.) then the OP (original poster) claimed there was a sensual/sexual narrative in the show, even saying in his last comment “slave kink” & “he f*cks kids”

2.) now you are claiming there is a Grooming / Stockholm Syndrome narrative based on your psycho analysis of the show

… but both of your claims are still only based on your own personal subjective ideas, bias, opinions, assumptions.

I can confidently say, that in the current seasons of this anime …

1.) Naofumi Iwatani has not said or done anything sensual or sexual towards Raphtalia or Filo — the OP said these things, making them look perverted and disgusting

2.) Naofumi Iwatani has not groomed anyone, nor has he called or treated Raphtalia & Filo like “properly”, “cows”, “chickens”, “dogs”, “items” (like in a game), or “inanimate objects” — you said these things, making you look arrogant, conceited, cruel, heartless

You and the original poster are doing the same exact thing, trying to force false narratives onto the anime, without the support of observable evidence in the show and ignoring everyone responding to you two explaining that your claims are just not found in the show.

According to psychology, this means that both of you are suffering from a delusion.

In the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, a delusion is defined as: A false belief based on incorrect inference about external reality that is firmly sustained despite what almost everybody else believes and despite what constitutes incontrovertible and obvious proof or evidence to the contrary.

We are the ones actually following the show’s background, plot, archs, storyline, dialogue, characters, interactions and relationships, then trying to help both of you be freed from your delusion.

You two are both refusing to look at reality, despite the observable evidence and human testimonies that prove to the contrary, unwilling to be freed from your delusion.
ejleonFeb 6, 5:49 PM
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series and judge each based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

Feb 6, 6:02 PM

Aug 2018
Reply to ejleon
@epidemia78 You have clue what this show is about, if you think it’s about “wish fulfillment”, being a “creep loser”, or “pandering” to the audience. If that’s your take, you really didn’t pay attention or follow the story.
@ejleon

it actually caused my stomach to churn, that scene when loli-raphtalia falls in love with Naofumi who up to that point was actually very cruel to her...well Naofumi gave her a fucking bouncy ball and just like that, she fell in love as if she's a dog. Disgusting.
epidemia78Feb 6, 6:31 PM
Feb 6, 6:17 PM
May 2021
well uh... yes.
by how the anime is going, you should know the whole anime based upon trust issues by Naofumi so, yeah let's just say our boy missed out on a big chunk of the plot💀
Feb 6, 7:31 PM

Apr 2021
epidemia78 said:
@ejleon

it actually caused my stomach to churn, that scene when loli-raphtalia falls in love with Naofumi who up to that point was actually very cruel to her...well Naofumi gave her a fucking bouncy ball and just like that, she fell in love as if she's a dog. Disgusting.

Troll … you are not triggering me

You can keep lying all you want about the show

Just making yourself look awful
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series and judge each based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

Feb 6, 7:44 PM
Oct 2022
Lol. Chatroom psychologist diagnosing people with the DSM-5. Yes, Delusion, may really be the right word. I'm sure you didn't mean for us to take that seriously, so I won't, but suffice it to say, if 99% of this chat disagreed with you, I don't believe you would change your mind.

I haven't ignored everyone responding to me. Only you and OP have and I have responded to each.

The post title reads "so why does he keep enslaving girls?" But you disagree with OP. I can only see the disagreement being "They're not slaves." But that's my interpretation of YOUR response, and I'll even walk-through all the gymnastics I THINK you did to get there, since to say that part directly would be too contrary to the show.

However, as the author, you don't have to give interpretation, you can succinctly tell us exactly what you truly meant, so PLEASE do!!

ejleon said:

Anyone actually watching the story knows what’s going on and the good relationship these characters have with each other.

"It was a good relationship."

ejleon said:

Naofumi Iwatani was betrayed by literally everyone in the country, except a small few, which means he couldn’t trust anyone.

This left him with the only option of getting slaves, as a way to get help and to make sure they didn’t betray him or stab him in the back, like the princess of the nation did.

"He had good reason/he had no choice."

ejleon said:

He did not mistreat Raphtalia, he healed her of her sickness, clothed and fed her, gave her confidence, and taught her to fight.

He did not mistreat Filo either, he took care of her, fed her, got her a wagon, which made her really happy, and helped her with the Queen of Filolias Fitoria.

He provided them with weapons, he saved them, he protected them, and he fought for them many times.

"He was good to them."

ejleon said:

And then later, the girls Raphtalia & Filo, freely chose to remain “slaves” for the power / experience boost they both received, in fact, the girls convinced Rishia to become a slave to get more powerful faster.

"They stayed" All the way to, using "slaves" in quotes to say "They weren't even really slaves."
Okay, but that's just my interpretation. What narrative did OP paint in that first post was your response meant to disprove? What narrative am I forcing onto the story?

"Slavery" is what's actually happening in the show. "Slave" is the word that was used. Naofumi does not need to call them property. Being property is embedded into the concept of being a slave. I don't speak Japanese. If slave is an accurate translation of the terms used in the show, than to ignore the meaning of the word is to ignore what is actually happening in the show. If "slave" is a poor translation, that is a different story.

Art is open to interpretation. The author created the art and it includes slavery. I'm interpreting that art. You are interpreting that art (unless, maybe, you are the author). We all have biases, and interpretation will be filtered through them.

Let's go to the show.

S1 Ep2 - The Slave Girl, shows the purchase of Raphtalia Naofumi literally grooming her to be his sword. Preparing to to be useful to him. At around 14:22 he says explicitly, "Defense is all I'm good for. I need someone to fight for me. If you can't do it, I'll get someone else."

The story does not move on until she obeys the order given and finally states at 14:51 "Master... I will fight for you. So please don't leave me." The show simultaneously showing Raphtalia will serve her master as he intends and establishes the character's fear of abandonment. (But I guess that's me ignoring what was actually happening in the show and the characters).

Mind you, he was feeding her at least since 8:04, giving her medicine at 10:20, and even consoling her at 11:25. Feeding and caring for her didn't change what she was.

Multiple times (5:41 and )he says, "It's an order," invoking the power of the slave crest to give Raphtalia pain to make her comply. (I guess you'd say that's my interpretation to says it's the stand in for a whip.)

So I provide the episode as my support of observable evidence on the show that Raphtalia is property to Naofumi, purchased as a slave, disciplined through the slave crest (14:02 in addition to the "It's an order" times) as a slave, and groomed by Naofumi to suit his purpose as a sword . . . as a slave.

What narrative am I forcing on the story?

There are similar examples of Naofumi purchasing Filo as an egg for her potential utility helping Raphtalia in battle (episode 5) and reminding her that his concern is value based.

S1 Ep6 2:48 Naofumi relates the fact that Filolias Queens need a special crest to tame them. (I guess, tame isn't an animal term?)

17:38 Filo says, "You won't abandon me, right, Master?" Naofumi replies, "I've got money riding on you. I won't get rid of you that easily."

I don't need to go further. They are Naofumi's slaves. This is evidenced in show by the slave crest. Even more simply, they cannot lie to him. That aspect of their free will is simply removed via the crest. And they cannot defy him without great pain. They are slaves. If he feeds them, they're still slaves. If he protects them, they're still slaves. If he boosts their stats, gives them medicine, plays games with them, they're still slaves. And if they fall in love with him 🙄, they're still slaves.

What point are you even arguing?

Why does he still need slaves?
The queen is on his side, There are people who would support him, his situation that was to be an argument.for their need has changed.
Feb 6, 10:25 PM

Apr 2021
I don’t need to read your psycho analysis of my comments, that is, you are lying and putting words and in my mouth.

I never claimed that they were not slaves, so this is just a another false accusation without any evidence or support.

I did purposely make a distinction by using quotes for the word slaves, this was to distinguish between (1) how the author’s using slavery and (2) your modern opinion claiming that “slavery” — despite the situation or circumstances — is wrong in itself, which is not supported by evidence in history.

And the point still stands, your claim that there is “Grooming / Stockholm Syndrome” in the anime, is false according to the evidence in the anime.

I’m done wasting my time with you and OP, you clearly refuse to listen or think logically.
ejleonFeb 6, 10:37 PM

Feb 6, 11:16 PM
Dec 2020
I dropped this anime, it was such a garbage not even a comedic relief. Every episode I’d be very stressed on other characters bull even Naofumi’s. It’s far fetched where he is the only one with morals. 😭 The reasoning behind the dumbness of other characters is so unconvincing, inconvenient.
Feb 6, 11:29 PM

Oct 2012
Reply to ejleon
Nyron said:
shouldn't this loser have enough self esteem by now to let the girls like him without being literally shackled to him?

When someone does not pay attention and follow a story, they end up writing comments that just make them look bad, instead of the show/character they are trying to insult.

@ejleon

Owning another person is morally wrong. Period.

Just because the author properly set up the circumstances and reasoning for why the main character opted to enslave a person, doesn't mean that his choice to buy a slave is morally justified. Just because a slave owner treats his slaves nice does not make his continued enslavement of them any less immoral. Just because the slaves say they want to be slaves and convince others to become slaves, doesn't absolve our hero of his moral transgression of making others his property.

Naofumi doesn't exhibit any moral strife over buying a slave, nor does he show any remorse in continuing to enslave her. If Naofumi was a good person, he would free his slaves, but he doesn't do that because he doesn't want to. This is an irredeemable character trait for a main character. Main characters with irredeemable character traits can still make for compelling drama, however in Shield Hero the author does not treat Naofumi's use of slavery as the gross immoral character flaw it is. In fact he goes to great lengths to absolve his slave owning protagonist from any moral reckoning by writing his slaves as willful participants. "It's ok reader, the slaves WANT to be slaves!" This is incredibly lazy writing.

Imagine this sort of contrived writing working in other contexts. Imagine Naofumi's moral transgression wasn't enslaving anyone but rather having sex with a 12 year old girl in this fantasy world. And let's say that like with slavery, doing so was not illegal in this world, in fact, marrying a child in this world allows you to get a stat boost. As with how the show handled slavery, Naofumi demonstrates no moral quandary about being with a 12 year old and spends the story protecting and caring for her and the author makes his child lover say that it's ok for him to groom her because she wants to be his wife. Would you root for that character? I would hope not.
Feb 7, 12:37 AM
Apr 2022
I guess he's like a benevolent dictator. He was wrongly accused and at his lowest. When he built himself back up, he used capitalism. To prove his doubter accusers wrong, he raised a bunch of females that trust him and can attest that he's not that bad person amd he never did anything to them like an accusers imagination could ever claim. Most of the people of both genders, who have a slave crest and work/live around him, he offered to remove it for them. But they willingly chose to keep it, as a sign of their loyalty, trust, and gratefulness to him, he's a good leader of now a town he protects and helps grow. And this, also, could symbolize an act to spite by his people towards all of those who did not trust him and falsely accused him just for envy or to oppress him. Like meaning that his people prefer him and his word over the false accusers words and anyone outside of his life. Him having slave crests is just basic protocol in purchasing slaves, like buying a car. But he's saving them while following the rules of that world. Their world differs from our world so in our world he'd kinda be a anti-hero, but then again there's the threat that the world will end so he has to get work done in anyway he can. Which again, he started from the very bottom after he was wrongly accused and basically exiled. He's not omnipotent, can't make miracles, he used legal capitalism in that world with benevolent intents but he also had little options in order to save that world since his powers were originally mostly defense-type. So yeah, in the beginning he may have only wanted slave warriors to fight for him and save world because he had low Attack stats but he ended up becoming more 'good'. The people in that world have a different reality, so they're willing to give their life for his cause or to save world. He's also like one of the only useful heroes in that world, had it worse but saved that world multiple times already but still some outside people dislike him for no true reason. He's doing almost the entire job of all heroes by himself.

If that's a crap story to you then great. But I think its messed up to change facts to just some guy who buys slaves to boost his self esteem.
animeAddict17Feb 8, 1:58 AM
Feb 7, 1:13 AM

Mar 2013
@ejleon

I mean putting aside the story of this series for a moment, you are veering dangerously close to the overall idea that owning slaves is permissible, on the idea of "slavery is bad due to cruel slave owners". Well no, owning slaves is bad and should be illegal whether or not the owners are cruel or not cruel. Roman slaves may have been treated nicely as as family, same with slaves in the Americas. That doesn't mean we should reform slavery by introducing anti-cruelty laws, that means no one, kind or not, should be able to own slaves period.

The problem is not that there are bad slave owners, the problem is that owning slaves is bad.

So going back to the story, I feel as if it doesn't really ask the interesting questions around this system. Despite the benefits such as EXP bonuses, the system still entails entrusting their health and freedom to Naofumi. Even in a romantic or familial sense, this idea of "consensual slavery" just does not work; consent means being able to leave at whatever time one desires. Of course we know Naofumi is a good enough person, but do they know that, should they assume Naofumi would have the good will to do so in the future?

I have many people who I care deeply about, but that is all the more reason why I don't have nor require a physical system of restraint that keeps them tethered to me. Even if they consented to this system, (and I imagine one person would), I still would not be in any position to put a shock collar on them. Consent is something that can and should be able to be given or taken away at any one point. These characters willingly placing themselves, consenting, into a position where they would not be able to consent at a later point.

I really doubt that anyone would truly consent to not having consent (If the idea of consensually giving up consent were possible, might I add), and in the context of the story it really only makes sense for Raphtalia to be alright with it and to a lesser extent Filo. My issue is not just moral, but that the series kind of ignores it outside of it being a system exploit, rather than exploring how it alters these relationships and what it says about these characters.
PeripheralVisionFeb 7, 1:19 AM
Feb 7, 3:22 AM

Apr 2021
flylikegoldblum said:
@ejleon

Just because the author properly set up the circumstances and reasoning for why the main character opted to enslave a person, doesn't mean that his choice to buy a slave is morally justified. Just because a slave owner treats his slaves nice does not make his continued enslavement of them any less immoral. Just because the slaves say they want to be slaves and convince others to become slaves, doesn't absolve our hero of his moral transgression of making others his property.

Naofumi doesn't exhibit any moral strife over buying a slave, nor does he show any remorse in continuing to enslave her. If Naofumi was a good person, he would free his slaves, but he doesn't do that because he doesn't want to. This is an irredeemable character trait for a main character. Main characters with irredeemable character traits can still make for compelling drama, however in Shield Hero the author does not treat Naofumi's use of slavery as the gross immoral character flaw it is. In fact he goes to great lengths to absolve his slave owning protagonist from any moral reckoning by writing his slaves as willful participants. "It's ok reader, the slaves WANT to be slaves!" This is incredibly lazy writing.

Imagine this sort of contrived writing working in other contexts. Imagine Naofumi's moral transgression wasn't enslaving anyone but rather having sex with a 12 year old girl in this fantasy world. And let's say that like with slavery, doing so was not illegal in this world, in fact, marrying a child in this world allows you to get a stat boost. As with how the show handled slavery, Naofumi demonstrates no moral quandary about being with a 12 year old and spends the story protecting and caring for her and the author makes his child lover say that it's ok for him to groom her because she wants to be his wife. Would you root for that character? I would hope not.

“Owning another person is morally wrong. Period.”

Ok, you tell me what you would have done to survive in this unfamiliar world, when the King hated you, the Princess tricked you and stabbed you in the back, and the entire nation and the 3 other heroes were against you?

I’ll be waiting.

Feb 7, 3:50 AM

Apr 2021
PeripheralVision said:
@ejleon

I mean putting aside the story of this series for a moment, you are veering dangerously close to the overall idea that owning slaves is permissible, on the idea of "slavery is bad due to cruel slave owners". Well no, owning slaves is bad and should be illegal whether or not the owners are cruel or not cruel. Roman slaves may have been treated nicely as as family, same with slaves in the Americas. That doesn't mean we should reform slavery by introducing anti-cruelty laws, that means no one, kind or not, should be able to own slaves period.

The problem is not that there are bad slave owners, the problem is that owning slaves is bad.

So going back to the story, I feel as if it doesn't really ask the interesting questions around this system. Despite the benefits such as EXP bonuses, the system still entails entrusting their health and freedom to Naofumi. Even in a romantic or familial sense, this idea of "consensual slavery" just does not work; consent means being able to leave at whatever time one desires. Of course we know Naofumi is a good enough person, but do they know that, should they assume Naofumi would have the good will to do so in the future?

I have many people who I care deeply about, but that is all the more reason why I don't have nor require a physical system of restraint that keeps them tethered to me. Even if they consented to this system, (and I imagine one person would), I still would not be in any position to put a shock collar on them. Consent is something that can and should be able to be given or taken away at any one point. These characters willingly placing themselves, consenting, into a position where they would not be able to consent at a later point.

I really doubt that anyone would truly consent to not having consent (If the idea of consensually giving up consent were possible, might I add), and in the context of the story it really only makes sense for Raphtalia to be alright with it and to a lesser extent Filo. My issue is not just moral, but that the series kind of ignores it outside of it being a system exploit, rather than exploring how it alters these relationships and what it says about these characters.

You are also not paying attention to or following what happened in the anime.

But more importantly, I would like to address your modern viewport of … “Slavery is wrong in itself”.

Is that historically true? The answer is no.

Historically, slavery could be anywhere between just like a modern job today - to - corrupt cruel heartless mindless evil persecution suffering murdering.

Slaves were sometimes saved because of who their masters were, meaning they could not be touched or killed by slave haters because of their masters position, which saved their lives, their masters sometimes even came to their defense.

Slaves were sometimes held in more regard and respect than people’s own family members, meaning that slaves, instead of family, would inherit their master’s wealth and/or property, because their slaves were more like their family.

Slaves sometimes begged their masters to stay by their side until their death, even while they tried to free them, stating that they refused to leave someone they cared about and loved, because their masters were so good to them.

And there are more historical events contrary to your modern viewpoint.

Your modern absolute morality that something is wrong in itself is dangerous, unfair, and unjust.

You would have to condemn both a hungry child that stole food to survive and a wealthy greedy noble/politician who stole from citizens just to gain more money, because they both “stole”.

You would have to condemn both a women that killed someone in self-defense for attacking her and a rapist murder, because they both “killed”.

It is showing no wisdom in your thinking or decisions.

Not all masters were good, but not all masters were bad.

Not all slaves were good, but not all slaves were bad.

Sometimes both masters and slavers were both good to each other and loved each other.

That’s where patience, experience, knowledge, reason, logic, wisdom, discernment, etc come in to help you make informed decisions on each event.

So you don’t unfairly misjudge someone unjustly.

I can’t agree with your viewpoint because it is not historically or morally true.
ejleonFeb 7, 3:58 AM

Feb 7, 6:01 AM
Apr 2023
ejleon said:
PeripheralVision said:
@ejleon

You are also not paying attention to or following what happened in the anime.

But more importantly, I would like to address your modern viewport of … “Slavery is wrong in itself”.

Historically, slavery could be anywhere between just like a modern job today - to - corrupt cruel heartless mindless evil persecution suffering murdering.

Slaves were sometimes saved because of who their masters were, meaning they could not be touched or killed by slave haters because of their masters position, which saved their lives, their masters sometimes even came to their defense.

Slaves were sometimes held in more regard and respect than people’s own family members, meaning that slaves, instead of family, would inherit their master’s wealth and/or property, because their slaves were more like their family.

Slaves sometimes begged their masters to stay by their side until their death, even while they tried to free them, stating that they refused to leave someone they cared about and loved, because their masters were so good to them.

And there are more historical events contrary to your modern viewpoint.

Your modern absolute morality that something is wrong in itself is dangerous, unfair, and unjust.

You would have to condemn both a hungry child that stole food to survive and a wealthy greedy noble/politician who stole from citizens just to gain more money, because they both “stole”.

You would have to condemn both a women that killed someone in self-defense for attacking her and a rapist murder, because they both “killed”.

Sometimes both masters and slavers were both good to each other and loved each other.

That’s where patience, experience, knowledge, reason, logic, wisdom, discernment, etc come in to help you make informed decisions on each event.

So you don’t unfairly misjudge someone unjustly.

I can’t agree with your viewpoint because it is not historically or morally true.

Comeon bro we have been friends for a long time I know what animes u r watching and what have u watched, u don't have to prove anything to him or waste ur real information for this fake information giver dumbass. Just because u have not marked Isekai anime as favourite he thinks u have not watched it what kind of asspull Conclusion he has🤷🏻‍♂️ Just Calm down and ignore this bastard
Feb 7, 6:47 AM
Apr 2020
@ejleon
Naofumi forces a little girl to fight for him. If she disobeys, she is electrocuted. He forces her to kill. He put her in immense danger because he made a terrible judgment call to go into a cave everybody actively stayed away from because it was dangerous. This causes her to commit herself to fighting for him and she attaches onto him because of her traumatic abandonment. This is wholly defining in their relationship going forward. I agree that Naofumi outside of these parts treats Raphtalia extremely well, but it does not outweigh all the terrible things he has done.
Feb 7, 7:29 AM
May 2011
I can't believe this troll topic has so many responses...
Feb 7, 7:57 AM

Mar 2013
Reply to ejleon
flylikegoldblum said:
@ejleon

Ok, you tell me what you would have done to survive in this unfamiliar world, when the King hated you, the Princess tricked you and stabbed you in the back, and the entire nation and the 3 other heroes were against you?

I’ll be waiting.
ejleon said:

I’ll be waiting.

You misunderstood my original point, I was addressing your defense of it as "they consented" and then you said this.

Which seems to indicate that you believe that slavery is permissible only if slave owners were kind in general. That is not a good basis towards arguing for or arguing against slave owners. Hence why I originally said

I mean putting aside the story of this series for a moment, you are veering dangerously close to the overall idea that owning slaves is permissible, on the idea of "slavery is bad due to cruel slave owners".

Keyword is "putting aside". This is troubling when we move past Raphtalia and Filo to Rishia, who assumingly was enslaved after Naofumi deposed of most of the threats to his person, and has already two companions who supported him. Convincing someone to knowingly give up their right to leave, and to make that contigent on Naofumi's consent is just so...suspicious.

You then said this.

Which isn't that strong an argument. The writer is a god, and they can choose to have any number of events occur in a fictional story. The idea then is the idea that people can consent to giving up consent, and to me this is the point where we may say this is just a particularly type of wish fulfillment. I could write a story where a woman marries her rapist (Gosh knows how prolific this is in certain genres like romance), but this happens precisely because I written it so. The first problem here lies in that I potentially believe this sort of "arrangement" is permissible because of how my story depicts it, because it entirely being within my choice on how to depict said thing.

I could say she consented "afterwards" no matter how unconsensual the encounter was, but this indicates a radically unhealthy views on very contentious real life issues, or a very active drive to neuter the most interesting parts of the narrative.

The second problem is that we are asked to take the story seriously and to cheer for Naofumi. To answer your question, I think Naofumi being a position of dependency despite being the "slave owner" and his burgeoning relationship with Raphtalia does offer some promise, as you said. The issue is that since we are encouraged to relate to Naofumi, it becomes difficult when he does these things in less trying times and in different scenarios. There is a point then where we have to ask if Naofumi should even be a "good" person at this point, because many narrative have bad or morally compromised individuals be the protaganist.

One example is Satou Matsuzaka, who is a groomer and a pedophile, from Happy Sugar Life. In short? Without exploring the moral nuances of doing questionable things to survive or even benefit, it really does feel like an effort to retroactively vindicate Naofumi more than anything else, and it feels horribly disappointing and more than a tad immoral that we don't bother to examine the context of this moral action in light of the characters and when it happens.

In fact, ignoring it does feel like wish fulfillment rather than acknowledging the icky system for what it is. If it is not clear, I don't actually oppose Naofumi owning slaves from a narrative perspective, but in a serious narrative I sort expect serious things that occur between the main cast to be taken seriously rather than an attempt to narratively justify the inclusion of fetish materials.

So it is weird you then said this.

ejleon said:

It is wrong, just like rape is wrong and murder (Unjustified killing) is wrong. That is not a hot take.

PeripheralVisionFeb 7, 8:07 AM
Feb 7, 8:09 AM

Apr 2021
Reply to PeripheralVision
ejleon said:

I’ll be waiting.

You misunderstood my original point, I was addressing your defense of it as "they consented" and then you said this.

Which seems to indicate that you believe that slavery is permissible only if slave owners were kind in general. That is not a good basis towards arguing for or arguing against slave owners. Hence why I originally said

I mean putting aside the story of this series for a moment, you are veering dangerously close to the overall idea that owning slaves is permissible, on the idea of "slavery is bad due to cruel slave owners".

Keyword is "putting aside". This is troubling when we move past Raphtalia and Filo to Rishia, who assumingly was enslaved after Naofumi deposed of most of the threats to his person, and has already two companions who supported him. Convincing someone to knowingly give up their right to leave, and to make that contigent on Naofumi's consent is just so...suspicious.

You then said this.

Which isn't that strong an argument. The writer is a god, and they can choose to have any number of events occur in a fictional story. The idea then is the idea that people can consent to giving up consent, and to me this is the point where we may say this is just a particularly type of wish fulfillment. I could write a story where a woman marries her rapist (Gosh knows how prolific this is in certain genres like romance), but this happens precisely because I written it so. The first problem here lies in that I potentially believe this sort of "arrangement" is permissible because of how my story depicts it, because it entirely being within my choice on how to depict said thing.

I could say she consented "afterwards" no matter how unconsensual the encounter was, but this indicates a radically unhealthy views on very contentious real life issues, or a very active drive to neuter the most interesting parts of the narrative.

The second problem is that we are asked to take the story seriously and to cheer for Naofumi. To answer your question, I think Naofumi being a position of dependency despite being the "slave owner" and his burgeoning relationship with Raphtalia does offer some promise, as you said. The issue is that since we are encouraged to relate to Naofumi, it becomes difficult when he does these things in less trying times and in different scenarios. There is a point then where we have to ask if Naofumi should even be a "good" person at this point, because many narrative have bad or morally compromised individuals be the protaganist.

One example is Satou Matsuzaka, who is a groomer and a pedophile, from Happy Sugar Life. In short? Without exploring the moral nuances of doing questionable things to survive or even benefit, it really does feel like an effort to retroactively vindicate Naofumi more than anything else, and it feels horribly disappointing and more than a tad immoral that we don't bother to examine the context of this moral action in light of the characters and when it happens.

In fact, ignoring it does feel like wish fulfillment rather than acknowledging the icky system for what it is. If it is not clear, I don't actually oppose Naofumi owning slaves from a narrative perspective, but in a serious narrative I sort expect serious things that occur between the main cast to be taken seriously rather than an attempt to narratively justify the inclusion of fetish materials.

So it is weird you then said this.

ejleon said:

It is wrong, just like rape is wrong and murder (Unjustified killing) is wrong. That is not a hot take.

@PeripheralVision Hold on, why are you responding to something sent to a completely different user?

“flylikegoldblum” is a person I sent one message to.

Then I sent another message to a different person named “PeripheralVision”.

You are responding as if you are both people, having two accounts.

I don’t think I can trust talking to you any more.

Besides, you completely misinterpreted everything I said and are not listen to reason.

Feb 7, 8:31 AM

Mar 2013
Reply to ejleon
@PeripheralVision Hold on, why are you responding to something sent to a completely different user?

“flylikegoldblum” is a person I sent one message to.

Then I sent another message to a different person named “PeripheralVision”.

You are responding as if you are both people, having two accounts.

Besides, you completely misinterpreted everything I said and are not listen to reason.
@ejleon

I mean, I was responding to one of the defenses you have regarding slavery as used in this narrative, which is the most common defense fans of this series. Although looking at it, I realize how odd it is to address what you said addressing someone else in the initial manner that I did. So yeah, I may have fucked up? Question mark because I do not think it is a big idea if I did. I do not have multiple accounts because there is no point to it, especially in this context.

ejleon said:

Even if this is true (And it is not, because both of our accounts are over 10 years old at this point and have varying differences from our cadence to what we watched), what exactly would be the big deal anyway? I still made salient points instead of one-worded, inflammatory troll remarks with the gamer word added in for emphasis.

Opposing pro-slavery arguments is a pretty common position, as is Kantian/Deontological ethics which most people argue against any system of slavery.

ejleon said:

It is difficult then to discern your decision as anything other than "slavery may be permissible in real life" when you say shit like this.

ejleon said:

ejleon said:

ejleon said:

ejleon said:
Slaves sometimes begged their masters to stay by their side until their death, even while they tried to free them, stating that they refused to leave someone they cared about and loved, because their masters were so good to them

What exactly am I getting wrong here regarding your beliefs? They seem pretty damn "well, a system of slavery is not bad if slaves consented". Which no, is not how it works.
Feb 7, 8:36 AM
Oct 2022
What were you saying about delusions again? who is ignoring everyone trying to free them from their delusion? Trying to force their own narrative without observable evidence?

@ejleon "I did purposely make a distinction by using quotes for the word slaves, this was to distinguish between (1) how the author’s using slavery and (2) your modern opinion claiming that “slavery” — despite the situation or circumstances — is wrong in itself, which is not supported by evidence in history."

Speaking LOGICALLY, if there is a distinction between the author's use of slavery and "my" modern opinion claiming slavery is wrong despite the situation or circumstance, then the author's use of slavery is different than my opinion.

But that is what everyone is telling you is wrong. The portrayal of slavery as different from that opinion, is wrong.

Lol. and trying to make it just "my" modern opinion isn't going to work.

@ejleon "And the point still stands, your claim that there is “Grooming / Stockholm Syndrome” in the anime, is false according to the evidence in the anime."

Your point does not stand. I gave you observable evidence from the show with time points that Naofumi groomed Raphtalia for usage as a sword including the implementation of physical pain through the slave crest and emotional threat of abandonment to make her comply.

Who is ignoring what happened in the show, the observable evidence from the show?

@ejleon "I’m done wasting my time with you and OP, you clearly refuse to listen or think logically."

Who is ignoring everyone responding to them? Refusing to look at reality despite human testimonies? Unwilling to be freed from their delusion?

@ejleon "You would have to condemn both a women that killed someone in self-defense for attacking her and a rapist murder, because they both “killed”."

No, you just have to condemn murder. You used the word in it's appropriate context, but then feign ignorance regarding how it shows the situations as distinct. Murder is wrong.

@ejleon "Ok, you tell me what you would have done to survive in this unfamiliar world, when the King hated you, the Princess tricked you and stabbed you in the back, and the entire nation and the 3 other heroes were against you?"

1, You shifted the argument from “Owning another person is morally wrong. Period," that you stated to "What would you do?" Strawman Fallacy.

2, It's an obvious, False Dilemma Fallacy with survival and slavery.

3, And then it's a Burden of Proof Fallacy. You presented the reframing, so it's your responsibility to show that nothing else could be done, not someo else's responsibility to show what could be done.

4, They could could go along with your false dilemma and just say "Nothing. If enslaving another was my only means for survival, I would not survive."

Counter argument?

Your reframing and addressing it have said nothing about the claim that "Owning another person is morally wrong."

If I say, "How would you keep the species alive if you were the last human man, and no single woman of the billions on Earth wanted you?" Answering it will tell you the same Nothing about the claim "Owning another person is morally wrong."

Counter? Counter, please?

An Author, Manufactured a situation in which someone's back was against the wall and CHOSE TO USE a deplorable act (slavery) as the escape mechanism. That's it.

Again @ejleon
"I did purposely make a distinction by using quotes for the word slaves, this was to distinguish between (1) how the author’s using slavery and (2) your modern opinion claiming that “slavery” — despite the situation or circumstances — is wrong in itself, which is not supported by evidence in history."

Why would evidence in history matter? Where not living across all of history, were living now, in Modern times. Why would evidence in history matter? History is littered with ideas we've put away because the ideas were wrong. The historical precedence of an idea is not what makes it right or wrong. And the only people determining rightness or wrongness are the living. What does evidence in history matter?

Arguing is fun and all, even arguing points you don't believe can be fun, but you have to do a better job of it.

I do kinda like trolls, though. When they stick around too long they usually end up getting themselves caught in their own words, and that's nice to see.

Lol. I toooooold yooooou. 🤣🤣🤣 Despite the observable evidence and human testimonies that prove to the contrary, YOU'D be the one unwilling to be freed from your delusion. And I love that for you 😁

You've scurried around and around. Can't even say the thesis of your argument in a single sentence and now your ensnared by your arguments and the criticisms you put in place.

"I'm not ensnared!" Closing your eyes to the fact that you've penned yourself in, doesn't change the fact that you're penned in. Stuck in an untenable position of defending the indefensible.
LucenProjectFeb 7, 11:48 AM
Feb 7, 8:43 AM
Jan 2009
Reply to blind_psychic
@ejleon
Naofumi forces a little girl to fight for him. If she disobeys, she is electrocuted. He forces her to kill. He put her in immense danger because he made a terrible judgment call to go into a cave everybody actively stayed away from because it was dangerous. This causes her to commit herself to fighting for him and she attaches onto him because of her traumatic abandonment. This is wholly defining in their relationship going forward. I agree that Naofumi outside of these parts treats Raphtalia extremely well, but it does not outweigh all the terrible things he has done.
this is what it looks like when someone actually watches the show instead of mindlessly staring at the screen as the colors go by
Feb 7, 2:08 PM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
Because every high-testosterone anime watcher (like me) wants to live out the fantasy of having female slaves that love him unconditionally.
Feb 7, 2:54 PM
Jan 2009
the funniest thing is that if they love him unconditionally, why would they need to be slaves

the entire premise is one of deep-seated insecurity and it's probably bad for viewers' perceptions of relationships
Feb 7, 2:59 PM

Apr 2021
PeripheralVision said:
@ejleon

I mean, I was responding to one of the defenses you have regarding slavery as used in this narrative, which is the most common defense fans of this series. Although looking at it, I realize how odd it is to address what you said addressing someone else in the initial manner that I did. So yeah, I may have fucked up? Question mark because I do not think it is a big idea if I did. I do not have multiple accounts because there is no point to it, especially in this context.

ejleon said:

Even if this is true (And it is not, because both of our accounts are over 10 years old at this point and have varying differences from our cadence to what we watched), what exactly would be the big deal anyway? I still made salient points instead of one-worded, inflammatory troll remarks with the gamer word added in for emphasis.

Opposing pro-slavery arguments is a pretty common position, as is Kantian/Deontological ethics which most people argue against any system of slavery.

ejleon said:

It is difficult then to discern your decision as anything other than "slavery may be permissible in real life" when you say shit like this.

ejleon said:

ejleon said:

ejleon said:

ejleon said:
Slaves sometimes begged their masters to stay by their side until their death, even while they tried to free them, stating that they refused to leave someone they cared about and loved, because their masters were so good to them

What exactly am I getting wrong here regarding your beliefs? They seem pretty damn "well, a system of slavery is not bad if slaves consented". Which no, is not how it works.

What if it is the same person using all these accounts, and I’m just wasting my time thinking I’m addressing multiple people, but really I’m just talking to the same person using different accounts to support their own argument?

That would cause me a lot of frustration.

Plus it has happened to me before, so from experience, I don’t trust people when this happens.

And yes, how you addressed the comment I made to the other account, not making any distinctions between you two, was the problem.

If it is not the case, then I apologize.

———

You completely missed my point and that’s because you don’t think about what I’m trying to explain.

I never said “Slavery is permissible if …”

I am explaining “If slavery exists, it doesn’t mean everyone is automatically evil”

Slavery has existed for all of know human history, even today, at least 5000 years according to human records, it is only relatively recently that things have changed, within about the last 500 years.

Your position just condemns and judges anyone and everyone that existed during these 5,000 years as evil, just because slavery existed, it is absolute and unforgiving, no mercy or patience.

My position looks at each situation to determine who was evil and who was not over 5,000 years, understanding that no one thought slavery was wrong/evil until the Western Tradition really started to influence people and change their thinking, within the last 500 years.

This is why I can’t agree with your modern “absolute morality”, it is just too unjust.

It is naive to think that you’d be against slavery if you existed thousands of years ago and even worse if you arrogantly look down to believe you are better than those peoples of the past.

Cultures changed over history, and this is why you think it’s wrong now, it’s not something you came to yourself, you only think slavery is wrong/evil because cultures have changed and taught you that it wrong / evil now.

It is better to understand that people’s ideas of right and wrong have shifted over history, and since slavery existed as a normal part of life for so long, it better to look justly at each situation to determine who is evil and who is not evil.

———

If other worlds exist (like this anime suggests), it is logical to assume that slavery also could exists in their cultures as well, and it could be for as long or longer.

( I don’t judge the author for thinking this is also possible )

Yes, Naofumi came from our world, so it is good to look at his situation and how he acted.

I rewatched the first season parts, none of what everyone has been telling me is true.

Naofumi doesn’t even think of the idea himself, the slave trader approached him because he saw an opportunity. But after the sell, the Slave Trader makes a comment like he could tell Naofumi would try to help the weak sickly girl, especially after hearing about her background, to save her from being sold to another awful person.

It is obvious that Naofumi is putting on an act like he doesn’t care in front of the slave trader and weapon shop owner (people of this world), even talking sternly at times to Raphtalia, but it comes out when something happens, like with the slave crest hurting the girl, he asks about it immediately, and when she is hungry he takes her to get a meal with him, which she never had as a slave, and he heals her of her sickness, which no one else cared to do for her, and more things happen during their time together.

Raphtalia picks up on these instances that differ from his “I don’t care” attitude, and this causes her to realize that Naofumi is different from other people in the world, so she begins to trust him, and decides to help him.

Yes, he does teach her to fight because he can’t gain experience points, but pushing her as he did actually helps her overcome her internal struggles about her past, and she thanks him for his help and training.

The spear Hero even gets angry at Naofumi with your type of thinking of absolute morality and fights him to free Raphtalia, but she knows he is a good man being mistreated by them, so she decides not to leave his side, but to stay with him.

There is no “sensual / sexual motive” like the OP said, no “grooming / Stockholm syndrome” LucenProject said, and no mistreating the girls because they are demihumans / slaves / or people of a different world.

So I don’t just judge him because he had slaves, I judge him on how he spoke and acted with his slaves, but there is nothing wrong with Naofumi and his relationship with the girls.

———

This is my last message on this forum post.
ejleonFeb 7, 3:58 PM

Feb 7, 7:59 PM
Jan 2024
This is another reason I don’t like the anime adaptation much. They explain it really well in the light novel and entire point is that their stats go exponentially better and faster and they got more options for growth potential because of his maxed out slave shield. Plus he can always know where they are or if they’re hurt.

It’s slavery in name alone because he disabled all the punishment stuff to set up the slave curse and only has a shock for lying to him because you have to have a minimum of one set. It’s essentially just using a game exploit to help his ally’s.
Feb 7, 8:13 PM
Jan 2009
The concept of fictional characters having literal stats is stupid
Feb 7, 10:37 PM
Mar 2023
EdgyLord666 said:
I still don't understand why slavery actually give them a buff.

game mechanics. or wrongful real world thinking like Republicans claiming slavery was "great job opportunities for black immigrants" yeah they said that straight faced a few weeks ago.

technically slavery can be a helpful mechanism under its most optimal conditions. but that circumstance rarely happens. Communism is perfect on paper til you involve *humans* Same with slavery. someone's always gonna abuse the system almost immediately.
Feb 7, 11:54 PM
Jan 2016
Nyron said:

if you are asking these questions i think its time to realize that this is not a very well written series
Feb 8, 2:00 AM
Apr 2022
I messed up some of my original comment. I wrote he's an antivillain because he uses unconventional methods for benevolent goals. But he's actually more of an anti-hero. Which is similar but the anti-hero isn't evil like an anti-villain, but maybe more towards broken. But he's been slowly turning into just a regular 'hero'. Its a bit complicated.
animeAddict17Feb 8, 2:16 AM
Feb 8, 2:24 AM

Jan 2024
I find the leveling mechanic they had here more weird. Like Raphtalia is like 5 but looks 18 cuz she leveled up fast.
Feb 8, 4:00 AM

Mar 2013
@ejleon

I never said “Slavery is permissible if …”

I am explaining “If slavery exists, it doesn’t mean everyone is automatically evil”

There is a difference between condemning the actions and condemning the person, a "hate the sin but love the sinner" approach. You can and should condemn actions as being wrong and immoral and therefore not something one should should do or in specific cases, not something a society should condone. Genocide is wrong. Rape is wrong. Wanton killing is wrong. Having sex with a child or a profoundly intellectually disabled individual is wrong. Slavery is wrong.

This is why I can’t agree with your modern “absolute morality”, it is just too unjust.

It is naive to think that you’d be against slavery if you existed thousands of years ago and even worse if you arrogantly look down to believe you are better than those peoples of the past.

Your point is certainly valid regarding that if we were born into these systems that we too may have been proponents of slavery, but this is irrelevant to whether not said action is wrong. We have the gift of hindsight, and your position boils down to a sort of relativism, that one ought to accept injustice if it is ingrained in a culture or system. You could not tell a man not to rape his wife if domestic rape is largely seen as permissible within a certain culture, or that child abuse in the forms of say, applied behavior analysis/behavioral engineering is permissible by the very nature of it enforcing the majority ideals on a vulnerable minority.

You can condemn systems and the outcomes they produce as immoral, as wrong. To no do so is to simply encourage these systems to continue unabated or to be brought back. Evil, as Elie Wiesel has stated, needs only "good" men to stay silent to win.

So look back at your previous replies and realize how they came across as a defense of slavery, that your responses make no sense when people are merely claiming slavery IS wrong. You are responding on the assumption that people are condemning the people who lived in these systems, but this is not a fair assumption for you to make. Do you think having sex with a child is permissible simply because others culture practice it or that we should mutilate the genitals of infants, both male and female? That women should be continued to be subjugated as they were throughout a majority of history? Jesus fucking Christ. Here is the thing about Shield Hero in particular, and goes well as a response to this.

Naofumi doesn’t even think of the idea himself, the slave trader approached him because he saw an opportunity. But after the sell, the Slave Trader makes a comment like he could tell Naofumi would try to help the weak sickly girl, especially after hearing about her background, to save her from being sold to another awful person.

It is obvious that Naofumi is putting on an act like he doesn’t care in front of the slave trader and weapon shop owner (people of this world), even talking sternly at times to Raphtalia, but it comes out when something happens, like with the slave crest hurting the girl, he asks about it immediately, and when she is hungry he takes her to get a meal with him, which she never had as a slave, and he heals her of her sickness, which no one else cared to do for her, and more things happen during their time together.

What they did to Naofumi in terms of his ostracization is intended to be seen as wrong, and is definitely the sort of systemic evil reflected in their usage of slaves in the series, which you apparently did not read. The enslavement and subjugation of Demihumans is the great sin of the Melromarc kingdom and which previous shield heroes have gone against. The very series we are discussing condemns this as immoral for any society to have, especially those at the top who have the power to change it. That Naofumi being forced to use slaves is an incredibly fucked up position to put himself in.

Slavery has existed for all of know human history, even today, at least 5000 years according to human records, it is only relatively recently that things have changed, within about the last 500 years.

Your position just condemns and judges anyone and everyone that existed during these 5,000 years as evil, just because slavery existed, it is absolute and unforgiving, no mercy or patience.

My position looks at each situation to determine who was evil and who was not over 5,000 years, understanding that no one thought slavery was wrong/evil until the Western Tradition really started to influence people and change their thinking, within the last 500 years.

Therefore, your position is that we should not condemn those leading the Melromarc kingdom or those facilitating the oppression and enslavement of Demihumans because...it is their culture? Their era? Some people were born into the Melromarc Kingdom? That they believe what they have been told as youth instead of recognizing the very real demihuman suffering in front of them? You are quite literally disagreeing with the series you are actually defending if you take up this position of moral relativism.

Yes, we should recognize we are products of our upbringing, both on a cultural and familial level. That doesn't mean we do not lack the free will to make up our own minds and disagree with certain aspects of the world that we are brought into. Again, recognizing the benefits of hindsight does not mean we should disregard it and not condemn certain aspects of of how our ancestors may have lived. I for one think women should vote. How about you?

I myself am putting forth pretty typical positions that definitely arise from my upbringing and chosen to keep or not change into adulthood. Yet, by your own logic I should assume your are condemning my person rather than disagreeing with my ideals, is that it?

No, it does not.

My position is essentially just basic Kantian/Deontological ethics, which existed for Iunno...a couple hundred years, if not millennia. The concept that some things are just on a "universal" level has existed for millennia. Slavery is an interesting thing to consider, as one could argue that our morality did not so much change in terms of "what is wrong", but rather "who is it done to". We may not enslave our neighbors, people like ourselves, but we may be permitted to enslave the neighbors of others. So on and so forth, that sort of thing. Putting all that aside, if having an "absolute morality" is what allows me to say that having sex with children is wrong, including say infants, or that religious strife that seeks to subjugate those of a different faith are wrong, then I am an absolute believer of absolute morality.

Somehow, condemning certain sexual attitudes about 12 year old girls is somehow impermissible by your logic. That to condemn genocidal belief is wrong. I am not too concerned with whether or not I am a good person so much that I am concerned that your morality permits and justified immoral actions. That to me is evil.

The spear Hero even gets angry at Naofumi with your type of thinking of absolute morality and fights him to free Raphtalia, but she knows he is a good man being mistreated by them, so she decides not to leave his side, but to stay with him.

There is no “sensual / sexual motive” like the OP said, no “grooming / Stockholm syndrome” LucenProject said, and no mistreating the girls because they are demihumans / slaves / or people of a different world.

So I don’t just judge him because he had slaves, I judge him on how he spoke and acted with his slaves, but there is nothing wrong with Naofumi and his relationship with the girls.

First and foremost, Spear Hero is an idiot who more or less goes along with the systemic evils of Melromarc at first, because he is a fucking idiot, and part of that is persecuting Naofumi based on lies and for actions that the kingdom knowingly has. To be fair to spear hero, he literally believes Naofumi is a rapist. Now I don't know about you, but a rapist owning a slave? Seems suspicious, but that is just me.

The issue is that as I have repeated in this reply, this series tries to take a moral absolutionist stance in itself, and so does Naofumi. Keyword, tries. Again, read it.

What they did to Naofumi in terms of his ostracization is intended to be seen as wrong, and is definitely the sort of systemic evil reflected in their usage of slaves in the series, which you apparently did not read. The enslavement and subjugation of Demihumans is the great sin of the Melromarc kingdom and which previous Shield Heroes have gone against. The very series we are discussing condemns this as immoral for any society to have, especially those at the top who have the power to change it. That Naofumi being forced to use slaves is an incredibly fucked up position to put himself in.

Did you not know the purpose of the character of Idol Ranbier?

You might wonder than why I dislike the series, and it is because it is not really interested in the fact that Naofumi did some really screwed up things to survive, which no amount of moralizing should make him forget, and that the slavery system imposes a power-imbalance between two traumatized individuals. This system of subjugation being permissible relies solely on Naofumi's kindness. There is an interesting set of questions about how this power-imbalance and how it affects their relationship, but the narrative is clearly interested in trying to retroactively justified Naofumi's continued use of slaves instead of examining his continued use of slaves. To me, the experience bonus is simply a retroactive justification, and one that doesn't justify urging someone like Riisha into that position in the first place. Something the author written to excuse Naofumi.

It is fetishized, it is a power fantasy that puts our infallible and justified hero against a corrupt system, without having to have him ask all those pesky questions or morality and condemnation that you are accusing me of lacking. Not that this fantasy is "wrong", per se. Many people want to be a superhero fighting against injustice, yet many superhero stories straddle the line between political relevance and apolitical acceptance. The issue is that Shield Hero is a very simple story whose initial premise suggests a greater interest in its own darkness and moral nuance than what has been given. Rather, Shield Hero tries it darnest not to be a morally nuance show, and it shows.

Any attempt to backpedal this nuance by "justifying" what actions would otherwise be morally questionable if not outright wrong only proves my point in the disinterest this series has in its own moral dilemmas.
Feb 8, 7:23 AM
Nov 2018
I think there were a few episodes about naofumi wanting them not to be his slave but the girls wants the slave marking? I know party members get buffs during battles but I believe his slaves who aren't part of his party ends up getting buffs as well?
Feb 8, 9:40 AM

Apr 2021
I was not going to respond, but for the record, I wanted to clear up some things, so people reading this have my perspective represented as well.

PeripheralVision claimed about me …

”Somehow, condemning certain sexual attitudes about 12 year old girls is somehow impermissible by your logic. That to condemn genocidal belief is wrong … that I am concerned that your morality permits and justifies immoral actions.

This is just a few of the lies that they and others have said about me in this forum.

I never approved of, permitted, or justified any immoral word or action, that much is clear in my messages.

Slavery is wrong, but the fact that slavery exists in a world, does not make everyone automatically evil. How people speak and act with each other in such a situation is what makes the difference, meaning humans that do not think in “master” and “slave” mentalities, but while being in such a situation, act and treat each other like fellow humans, hence in a world of slavery, these people are not evil.

But it is obvious that this is far too complex a topic to discuss with them and the others, hence why I quit, especially when they don’t care to listen or pay attention to what a person says.

Feb 8, 12:07 PM
Jan 2009
Reply to Ex-Aid
I find the leveling mechanic they had here more weird. Like Raphtalia is like 5 but looks 18 cuz she leveled up fast.
@senaen shield hero fans will never address this
Feb 8, 3:00 PM
Nov 2020
Because it’s trashy isekai just give it a 4 and move on, there’s always going to be copium huffing dipshits that eat these shows up.
Feb 8, 3:08 PM
Nov 2020
ejleon said:
Hamzov_Komrade said:
its just another trashy power fantasy tbh. but this show is always trying to morally justify it lmao

It’s not trashy and the fact that it is normal in the other world, it doesn’t need to “justify” it

Dudes list is restricted, that’s as good as saying your taste is so shit you’re ashamed of it. You’re a fan of trashy isekai that can’t even see it as trashy, I can see why people might say shield hero is a guilty pleasure however you’re so delusional you think it’s actually good storytelling, I’d love to see what a shit show your list is.
Feb 8, 3:22 PM
Nov 2020
ejleon said:
flylikegoldblum said:
@ejleon

I’ll be waiting.

You literally just said if you’re down on your luck you’ll resort to slavery and you see that as the only option. To entertain your bullshit why not leave the country, he owed them nothing. The author is clearly an incel that feels his entitled to relationships and therefore is justifying slavery though the story and your eating it up because you agree, why else is the story this way? I’ll wait.
Feb 8, 7:26 PM

Apr 2021
Joel_Barnes said:
ejleon said:

It’s not trashy and the fact that it is normal in the other world, it doesn’t need to “justify” it

Dudes list is restricted, that’s as good as saying your taste is so shit you’re ashamed of it. You’re a fan of trashy isekai that can’t even see it as trashy, I can see why people might say shield hero is a guilty pleasure however you’re so delusional you think it’s actually good storytelling, I’d love to see what a shit show your list is.

Once again my list has nothing to do with the topic, so you are just making yourself look bad by attacking me personally

Your personal bias against isekai doesn’t mean they are bad, it’s just your personal opinion
ejleonFeb 8, 7:36 PM

Feb 8, 7:31 PM

Apr 2021
Joel_Barnes said:
ejleon said:

I’ll be waiting.

You literally just said if you’re down on your luck you’ll resort to slavery and you see that as the only option. To entertain your bullshit why not leave the country, he owed them nothing. The author is clearly an incel that feels his entitled to relationships and therefore is justifying slavery though the story and your eating it up because you agree, why else is the story this way? I’ll wait.

No I did not, I was saying his options were limited and he was influenced by the world.

Ok, yes, I agree he could have tried to leave the county instead, but that was also being stopped by the king and princess.

But your comments about the author do not make sense, incels hate women, so your claim is contradictory.

Feb 8, 7:55 PM
Jan 2009
Reply to ejleon
Joel_Barnes said:
ejleon said:

Once again my list has nothing to do with the topic, so you are just making yourself look bad by attacking me personally

Your personal bias against isekai doesn’t mean they are bad, it’s just your personal opinion
@ejleon wrong on both counts, sorry
Feb 8, 8:14 PM

Apr 2021
and the illogical claims and lies continue

I’m done … bye

Feb 9, 11:45 AM
Aug 2023
Nyron said:

Raphtallia willingly became a slave again cause she wanted to. And fillo (I might have butchered her name) she doesn’t have a slave mark
Feb 9, 12:50 PM
Mar 2022
Brandis_king said:
Nyron said:

Raphtallia willingly became a slave again cause she wanted to. And fillo (I might have butchered her name) she doesn’t have a slave mark

filo has a slave crest. she had to get a special one different from the one raphtalia and rishia received. there were two scenes in the anime that showcased it. I think the first was in the episode she hatched, where filo resisted getting the slave crest during the ceremony and then the other scene where melty told filo to go hide and naofumi used it to find her in the attic of the building they were in
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2019

242 by SanessyAdversary »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2019

271 by Der_Body »»
Yesterday, 9:56 AM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2019

169 by SanessyAdversary »»
Yesterday, 8:10 AM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2019

195 by SanessyAdversary »»
Yesterday, 7:56 AM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 29, 2019

428 by SanessyAdversary »»
Yesterday, 1:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.