Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Another (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 10, 7:41 AM
May 2021
I really don't like it when slower paced stuff goes crazy at the end without any buildup to it. Everyone killing eachother battle royale style in an exploding mansion felt incredibly out of place, and some of the deaths were just so over the top it was more funny than anything. I think the final reveal with
being the dead one was pretty good though.

For a positive, this show had some goddamn atmosphere, one of the best i've seen in an anime, and I thought the build-up was pretty good, but it really started falling apart by the end, bunch of sub-plots unanswered, stuff happening without any rhyme or reason, this could've been really good but it dropped the ball.

This is a pretty good late night watch if you just wanna vibe with something creepy but aren't actually looking for a super serious story. My hunt for a truly top-notch horror/mystery anime continues.
Jan 10, 7:50 AM
Jun 2021
I agree with the ending being awful. It sucks because it had a great beginning and middle IMO!
Jan 10, 7:52 AM

Sep 2014
The ending was the best part for me. It made me laugh a lot.
Jan 10, 8:10 AM

Mar 2023
Until the middle a adaptation of the work Ayatsuji Yukito quite well managed to keep the readers in anticipation, the action was something like a series of movies "Final Destination", but then, with the beginning of the climactic part, the whole plot rolled into a ridiculous royal battle with the "disclosure" of the detective part, perhaps the director did not know what to do next with the plot and decided to end it this way.

"Another" - albeit violent and bloody comedy.
OmarumbaJan 10, 11:16 AM
Jan 10, 8:11 AM
Nov 2023
for the good ending... check the manga
Jan 10, 8:49 AM
Aug 2021
Yeahh the ending destroyed it for me. Started strong, amazing vibes, but the last episode felt rushed and lowered my score
Jan 10, 9:22 AM

Dec 2021
I agree. While I liked the whole anime the last episode was a disappointment to me. Killing most of the characters in a single episode is like reducing the impact of those deaths.
Jan 10, 9:38 AM
Sep 2010
Strongly encourage anyone who enjoyed the atmosphere and setup of this series to just read the original novel. It’s well-written, doesn’t comically exaggerate the deaths for shock value, and the ending actually feels incredibly satisfying. I don’t want to get into spoilers but I can imagine anyone who has seen the entire show can understand the inherent limitations of trying to do the ending in a visual medium.
Jan 10, 10:00 AM
Feb 2022
the manga version has way less many people die, so imo that one's a lot better paced
Jan 10, 10:18 AM
Jul 2017
I still enjoyed the mystery
Jan 10, 11:10 AM
Sep 2023
Yeah the ending was disappointing !
Jan 10, 12:31 PM
Sep 2019
honestly I loved it, but I do cackle my way through the finale every time. The anime did an ok job overall with the atmosphere, but it doesn't hold up to the original novels. They did a better job with the slow burn and an actual buildup to the final catastrophe. I also really love the final twist, and the sequel novels all have similar vibes and twists. I highly recommend them if you liked the slow, ominous atmosphere
Jan 10, 2:10 PM
May 2021
Reply to KryzakamiHrybami
The ending was the best part for me. It made me laugh a lot.
@KryzakamiHrybami Yeah some of the violence was straight out of looney toons, like the chandelier bit. Or Mei getting dropped down a flight of stairs.
Jan 10, 7:12 PM
Oct 2019
complete opposite in my case death were meaningless from the beginning the only death that matters it's to know who dead already. the only two death that should have mattered don't die. aside the two main characters everybody is a showcase waiting death in this show. the looney toons feeling if anything feel like come from the director would need to pick up the LN to see the difference it's licensed if I remember.
Jan 10, 7:26 PM
Jul 2021
TrhlaSlecna said:
I really don't like it when slower paced stuff goes crazy at the end without any buildup to it. Everyone killing eachother battle royale style in an exploding mansion felt incredibly out of place, and some of the deaths were just so over the top it was more funny than anything. I think the final reveal with

For a positive, this show had some goddamn atmosphere, one of the best i've seen in an anime, and I thought the build-up was pretty good, but it really started falling apart by the end, bunch of sub-plots unanswered, stuff happening without any rhyme or reason, this could've been really good but it dropped the ball.

This is a pretty good late night watch if you just wanna vibe with something creepy but aren't actually looking for a super serious story. My hunt for a truly top-notch horror/mystery anime continues.

I agree, I remember loving this when I was a teenager but still the ending was ass.
Jan 10, 9:29 PM
Nov 2023
TrhlaSlecna said:

Tbh i really liked the show like so mysterious atmosphere and everything ......it litterally had a great way of its own to end the show in a more good manner
but the ending part was rushed but i really liked the show overall i have a obssession with 2012 anime style bruh -^-
Jan 10, 10:28 PM
Jan 2022
TrhlaSlecna said:

It works better for the Novel. The anime was that great of an adaptation
Jan 11, 4:20 AM

Oct 2014
Another is only good if you view it as a comedy.

It's one of the prime examples for why horror anime, more often than not, doesn't work. To put it bluntly, the tone and direction are a joke. Everything is played completely straight despite its silly presentation and execution. Instead of building actual suspense and tension or play of ambiguity, the "horror" essentially boils down to superficial shock factor. The writing is also not particularly intelligent. In fact, one could say the writing quality is the scariest thing about the show. All these shortcomings cumulate and produce an immature feel. These are very common issues in the genre, especially among the mainstream. It's no coincidence that this director's worst works are all horror titles.

I think what invokes fear and suspense in visual media is not what they say but how they say it. Unfortunately, not much thought is given to either in standard go-to horror anime. The very fact that it's animated is arguably a significant drawback because it suspends reality, thus creates an inherent barrier for immersion before any flaws are even examined. That's why I always say horror is one of the weakest genres in anime.

On a side note, I view the many hyperviolent, oversexualized OVAs/films from the '80s and '90s in a more lenient light because they wear their silliness and overindulgence right on their sleeves. Most of them are still bad, but it's better than thinking they're more than what they actually are. Self-awareness is a quality lacking in modern horror.
Jan 12, 4:32 PM
Jul 2015
NGL I thought the whole time that one of the dolls will be posesed or something :')
Jan 13, 12:58 AM
Sep 2022
for real this anime would be a 10 if the ending was better
Jan 13, 9:57 AM
May 2022
I like it actually, it wasn't that bad for me
Jan 14, 2:39 PM
Oct 2021
i was looking for a good horror anime when i started this one.. but honestly to me, the whole series were ass lol
Jan 16, 6:40 PM
May 2021
Reply to Pyro
Another is only good if you view it as a comedy.

It's one of the prime examples for why horror anime, more often than not, doesn't work. To put it bluntly, the tone and direction are a joke. Everything is played completely straight despite its silly presentation and execution. Instead of building actual suspense and tension or play of ambiguity, the "horror" essentially boils down to superficial shock factor. The writing is also not particularly intelligent. In fact, one could say the writing quality is the scariest thing about the show. All these shortcomings cumulate and produce an immature feel. These are very common issues in the genre, especially among the mainstream. It's no coincidence that this director's worst works are all horror titles.

I think what invokes fear and suspense in visual media is not what they say but how they say it. Unfortunately, not much thought is given to either in standard go-to horror anime. The very fact that it's animated is arguably a significant drawback because it suspends reality, thus creates an inherent barrier for immersion before any flaws are even examined. That's why I always say horror is one of the weakest genres in anime.

On a side note, I view the many hyperviolent, oversexualized OVAs/films from the '80s and '90s in a more lenient light because they wear their silliness and overindulgence right on their sleeves. Most of them are still bad, but it's better than thinking they're more than what they actually are. Self-awareness is a quality lacking in modern horror.
@Pyro Yup, just about nailed it. I've had some sucess with horror manga, but horror anime seems to be really subpar. I liked Another because although it wasn't scary at all, it had a nice vibe, I enjoyed it more as a kitschy mystery.
Jan 16, 6:48 PM

Jan 2021
I can agree with you on the ending. I think Another was a really good anime, but the end disappointed me. I liked the suspense of knowing someone was to die that month, and seeing it happen after something unexpected (the one in Episode 3 was the best IMO) was really cool. For the first 10 episodes, it had a 9/10 for me (not perfect but really frickin good).
Then arrived episodes 11 and 12 when everyone starting dying for no apparent reason, and it was a turn-off for me. As much as the anime was awesome so far, the ending ruined it a bit for me. I like that Reiko was the ghost at the end, and the way the main character reluctantly put an end to her. But that was the only good thing about the last 2 episodes.

Also, another thing now that you are done with Another, you should watch Shiki and find out who the better horror writer is in that couple ( Spoiler- the wife is much better than the husband!)
You won’t regret it!
Feb 2, 6:53 AM
Dec 2022
TrhlaSlecna said:

If you’re still looking for horror/mystery and haven’t seen these yet, you might want to give them a try:

-Mieruko-Chan (comedy horror but the ghosts are well drawn for creepiness, oh and the fanservice gets completely dropped after the first episode or two)
-Angels of Death
-Shadows House (seems cutesy but it’s a mystery and it has great undertones of horror- it’s scary in a non traditional sense and wonderfully animated)
-Ghost Hunt (an oldie but a goodie, some arcs are particularly creepy like the labyrinth one and haunting like the Christmas one)
-Death Parade
-Psycho-Pass
-ID: INVADED
-Talentless Nana (watch until the very end of episode one, trust me. Don’t drop it before then)
-Juni-Taisen: Zodiac Wars
-Deadman’s Wonderland
-tpn
Feb 21, 2:38 PM
May 2021
Reply to CalmTeaTime
I can agree with you on the ending. I think Another was a really good anime, but the end disappointed me. I liked the suspense of knowing someone was to die that month, and seeing it happen after something unexpected (the one in Episode 3 was the best IMO) was really cool. For the first 10 episodes, it had a 9/10 for me (not perfect but really frickin good).
Then arrived episodes 11 and 12 when everyone starting dying for no apparent reason, and it was a turn-off for me. As much as the anime was awesome so far, the ending ruined it a bit for me. I like that Reiko was the ghost at the end, and the way the main character reluctantly put an end to her. But that was the only good thing about the last 2 episodes.

Also, another thing now that you are done with Another, you should watch Shiki and find out who the better horror writer is in that couple ( Spoiler- the wife is much better than the husband!)
You won’t regret it!
@CalmTeaTime I just finished Shiki yesterday actually! It was leagues better than Another for sure. While It wasnt really scary at all it was a pretty interesting thriller, only time I felt it really leaned into the horror was in the ending bits, though it wasn't really scary it was more just dreadful, I like how it didn't portray itself as that over the top (for anime standards at least) , which made the awful things going on hit a lot harder IMO.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Another Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

jenanime - Jan 9, 2012

476 by Tucefull »»
Apr 15, 4:10 PM

Poll: » Another Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Sir_Lexa - Jan 30, 2012

537 by Jaakusameyumi »»
Apr 11, 7:21 PM

Poll: » Another Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2012

1042 by Fanerogame »»
Mar 28, 9:05 AM

Poll: » Another Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 12, 2012

341 by JoJo_Enjoyerr »»
Feb 19, 12:09 PM

Poll: » Another Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MrSteeel - Jan 23, 2012

665 by L01MK »»
Feb 11, 1:30 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.