Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Inuyashiki
Available on Manga Store
New
Nov 15, 2023 1:12 AM
Jun 2021
I know this show isn’t brand new or anything, but I’m almost done watching it and I’m just wondering why. There are scenes where the two main characters are flying and its not 3d cgi. Plus scenes where they are 3d cgi at like the dinner table. It seems so all over the place of when the 3d cgi appears. I assume others had similar thoughts, but I just wanted to ask and see if it really effected anyone else. Cause so far the show is a 7 for me. But this could bring it to a 6 if it keeps up
Nov 15, 2023 1:18 AM
May 2022
i actually enjoyed this show and yes the CGI bothered me also anyway pls give it a 7
Nov 15, 2023 1:52 AM
Oct 2020
It really didn't need the cgi, there are older animes with similar action scenes that don't use cgi like this, I really wonder why mappa uses cgi so much
Nov 15, 2023 2:56 AM
Aug 2021
CrunchyCrobat said:
It really didn't need the cgi, there are older animes with similar action scenes that don't use cgi like this, I really wonder why mappa uses cgi so much

They're trying to streamline the animation process. Of course these early attempts looked pretty awful but they're slowly getting there. If they keep that pace, I'm sure it will become near indistinguishable within a year from now, judging by their latest production release
Nov 15, 2023 3:06 AM
Oct 2020
Animaticide said:
CrunchyCrobat said:

They're trying to streamline the animation process. Of course these early attempts looked pretty awful but they're slowly getting there. If they keep that pace, I'm sure it will become near indistinguishable within a year from now, judging by their latest production release

Idk man, when I watched the final episode of aot, the cgi still looked quite weird, don't think even now a year would be enough for it to be indistinguishable in the middle of 2d animation
Nov 15, 2023 3:17 AM

Jan 2009
cgi is use in any anime to speed up production to meet tight deadlines that is common today
Nov 15, 2023 3:23 AM
Aug 2021
CrunchyCrobat said:
Animaticide said:

Idk man, when I watched the final episode of aot, the cgi still looked quite weird, don't think even now a year would be enough for it to be indistinguishable in the middle of 2d animation

I did notice a few shots that looked pretty wonky, even when compared to others shown in the earlier Mappa seasons, but I was surprised at how a few others blended with the drawing style almost perfectly. Unfortunately for them, a dead giveaway was how unrefined their hand drawn shots tends to look, which makes the perfect, always on-model CGI ones stick like a sore thumb and vice-versa (what I mean is that 3D models will always look perfect whereas drawings will have imperfections like offset perspectives, so stitching mixed techniques shots in editing one after the other makes both stick out way more than they would on their own).

But if they get their act together and learn to properly implement style-transfer AI models into their pipeline to add those imperfections back into the 3D (which is super easy now, judging from my own experiments with the tech), they will be able to deliver satisfying results in no time. I am pretty sure that method would end up being even less time consuming than whatever render process they go through now, but oh well...
Nov 15, 2023 3:27 AM
Oct 2020
Animaticide said:
CrunchyCrobat said:

I did notice a few shots that looked pretty wonky, even when compared to others shown in the earlier Mappa seasons, but I was surprised at how a few others blended with the drawing style almost perfectly. Unfortunately for them, a dead giveaway was how unrefined their hand drawn shots tends to look, which makes the perfect, always on-model CGI ones stick like a sore thumb and vice-versa (what I mean is that 3D models will always look perfect whereas drawings will have imperfections like offset perspectives, so stitching mixed techniques shots in editing one after the other makes both stick out way more than they would on their own).

But if they get their act together and learn to properly implement style-transfer AI models into their pipeline to add those imperfections back into the 3D (which is super easy now, judging from my own experiments with the tech), they will be able to deliver satisfying results in no time. I am pretty sure that method would end up being even less time consuming than whatever render process they go through now, but oh well...

If they focus more on one anime at a time, instead of pumping out so many, it could all be so much better, but alas, mappa won't even recognize that there's a problem
Nov 15, 2023 3:37 AM
Aug 2021
CrunchyCrobat said:
Animaticide said:

If they focus more on one anime at a time, instead of pumping out so many, it could all be so much better, but alas, mappa won't even recognize that there's a problem

Well, that's on the viewers. If this business model is making them money, they won't stop, and money comes from viewership. It's not a bad thing on it's own, but they haven't expanded operations properly in terms of staffing which shows from time to time (they could handle ANY amount of shows in ANY amount of time they wanted IF they properly allocated the necessary human resources, but alas, here we are).

They are sneakily becoming the Amazon of anime, both in terms of revenue and worker exploitation. We'll see if it works out for them, but unless Japan as a whole undergoes a major workers' rights revolution and starts unionizing, I believe this will go on until it crashes, somehow.
Nov 15, 2023 3:47 AM
Jan 2020
yes it was unnecessary, but does it make the show actually worse? not in my opinion
Nov 15, 2023 5:31 AM

Jan 2020
Anime production is hectic in general, and, therefore, they sometimes have to take shortcuts when it’s better to avoid them, I guess.
Nov 15, 2023 5:36 AM

Jan 2020
CrunchyCrobat said:

Because MAPPA’s working conditions are already horrible enough (the pay doesn’t correspond to the amount of work + the studio itself is pretty damn ambitious), so by replacing hand-drawn frames with CGI they’re “taking care” of their employees so that they won’t die from prostration.

Chill now, I’m joking.

No, I’m not.
Nov 15, 2023 1:11 PM
Jun 2021
CrunchyCrobat said:
Animaticide said:

Ya I watched the final episode too and the cgi definitely took me out of the story at times. I think it had some parts where it was amazing, but some parts were just like watching action figures fight. I think we still 5 years out before Mappa or other studios can make cgi fluid enough to not be noticed. Cause Bones, Orange, David Production, and Mappa I would say have the best cgi right now
Nov 15, 2023 4:37 PM
Mar 2021
cgi doesn't change anything dramatically for this show, the enjoyment is still there, cgi or not, as it's the story and characters that carry this, not the visuals
Nov 15, 2023 6:34 PM
Jun 2021
ciiviic said:
cgi doesn't change anything dramatically for this show, the enjoyment is still there, cgi or not, as it's the story and characters that carry this, not the visuals

See I agree that the story and characters are great, but it’s undeniable that some distracting animation plays a factor
Nov 15, 2023 7:36 PM
May 2019
Sagepool said:
I know this show isn’t brand new or anything, but I’m almost done watching it and I’m just wondering why. There are scenes where the two main characters are flying and its not 3d cgi. Plus scenes where they are 3d cgi at like the dinner table. It seems so all over the place of when the 3d cgi appears. I assume others had similar thoughts, but I just wanted to ask and see if it really effected anyone else. Cause so far the show is a 7 for me. But this could bring it to a 6 if it keeps up

mappa teams were practicing CGI that's why
Nov 15, 2023 7:36 PM
May 2019
Sagepool said:

Nov 15, 2023 8:01 PM
Jun 2021
kratos960203 said:
Sagepool said:

I know studios need to practice, but whey not practice on not high profile shows? Instead they take large risks with strong IPs that can ruin enjoyment
Nov 15, 2023 8:09 PM
May 2019
Sagepool said:
kratos960203 said:

I know studios need to practice, but whey not practice on not high profile shows? Instead they take large risks with strong IPs that can ruin enjoyment

I mean when mappa was newly established that's when they were practicing because they knew chi gonna be crucial in upcoming years and as for high profile chi animators didn't get time if they got required time they won't have to use CGI. You can see time requirements in Shangri la frontier where studio got enough time to animate and now that anime has great animation and no a single CGI monster
Nov 15, 2023 9:01 PM
Oct 2020
Sagepool said:
CrunchyCrobat said:

Ya I watched the final episode too and the cgi definitely took me out of the story at times. I think it had some parts where it was amazing, but some parts were just like watching action figures fight. I think we still 5 years out before Mappa or other studios can make cgi fluid enough to not be noticed. Cause Bones, Orange, David Production, and Mappa I would say have the best cgi right now

Bones is just great overall

Orange, I have only watched Trigun stampede, and man that looked weird, it was so bright and colorful compared to how dark of a theme they were going with, all it felt like had was coolness factor
Nov 15, 2023 9:04 PM
Jun 2021
CrunchyCrobat said:
Sagepool said:

Orange, I have only watched Trigun stampede, and man that looked weird, it was so bright and colorful compared to how dark of a theme they were going with, all it felt like had was coolness factor

See thats the thing as of right now CGI has only been able to make specific types of shows. Anytime they tackle dark themes it looks bad. Maybe its the way shadows and effects look on cgi idk. But Bones has cgi all over their stuff and I never notice
Nov 15, 2023 9:07 PM
Oct 2020
Sagepool said:
CrunchyCrobat said:

See thats the thing as of right now CGI has only been able to make specific types of shows. Anytime they tackle dark themes it looks bad. Maybe its the way shadows and effects look on cgi idk. But Bones has cgi all over their stuff and I never notice

Wait really? I thought bones did full non cg animation, damn they're good to be able to fool me like that
Nov 16, 2023 1:25 AM
Jun 2021
CrunchyCrobat said:
Sagepool said:

Wait really? I thought bones did full non cg animation, damn they're good to be able to fool me like that

Ya if you watch My Hero carefully there is cgi, Mob Psycho has none though which is nice
Nov 16, 2023 7:09 AM
Jun 2021
Sagepool said:

i think it's mostly mappa experimenting trying to figure out cgi. tbh it's not their best work but it doesn't matter since the story is so great
Nov 16, 2023 9:39 AM
Mar 2021
Sagepool said:
ciiviic said:

See I agree that the story and characters are great, but it’s undeniable that some distracting animation plays a factor

where cgi distracts someone's enjoyment is different to everyone and an opinion so I can't really change that yeah, but I understand it: for example attack on titan, I can't take the moments where it's a huge walking 3d doll that seriously
Nov 18, 2023 1:14 AM
Jul 2023
Would've been a pain in the ass to animate the transformation stuff without cgi, didn't particularly bother me personally
Nov 27, 2023 3:48 AM

Nov 2021
CrunchyCrobat said:

you're talking as if it's as easy as cgi
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Inuyashiki Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 21, 2017

393 by reveluvie0 »»
Apr 21, 5:36 PM

Poll: » Inuyashiki Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 19, 2017

381 by TokyoGhoulRemake »»
Apr 18, 3:05 PM

Poll: » Inuyashiki Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 9, 2017

159 by RafaKojiro »»
Apr 17, 9:29 PM

Poll: » Inuyashiki Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 2, 2017

330 by RafaKojiro »»
Apr 17, 9:19 PM

Poll: » Inuyashiki Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 11, 2017

392 by TokyoGhoulRemake »»
Apr 17, 3:18 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.