Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

I don't get the ENDING of this show, and it didn't answer any of the obvious questions the series kept teasing.

New
Did you like the ending ?
Nov 11, 2023 4:03 PM

Jul 2021
Like I expected the final episode to tell me at the very least what the haibane are.
It just ended with Reki having her day of flight ; whatever that really is?
I couldn't feel sad or happy cause they didn't explain what was outside the walls.
I was just left confused and unsatisfied.
Nov 11, 2023 4:36 PM
Aug 2021
Nobody knows whats outside of the wall. (Except crows)
Reki found peace.
Rakka took her place and became confident.
Lovely ending.
Nov 11, 2023 6:27 PM
Oct 2020
It’s been a long time but I think the prevailing theory was that it’s afterlife or purgatory.

Having the day of flight and leaving could be going to heaven or being reborn.
Nov 11, 2023 7:07 PM
Oct 2017
Many things are left ambiguous on purpose as the series is very metaphorical and abstract. I've seen perspectives that the haibane are people who committed suicide, or just died, and that the city is like a purgatory for them. I always interpreted the outside of the walls and the "final flight" each of the haibane have as either moving on fully into the after life, or maybe even reincarnating into the living world. Either way, I'm positive the haibane leaving the city is meant to be a good thing, and Reki finally being able to do so in the end is established as a resolution to her internal conflict throughout the entire series. It's also implied that Rokka will do the same in due time.
Nov 11, 2023 9:24 PM
Feb 2023
I think that understand the punctual things isn't the purpose of the ending, even of the entire anime, the purpose is to understand the emotions and the psique of the characters, and how it impacts themselves and in the lives of the others, idk
Nov 11, 2023 9:32 PM

Feb 2016
Does the story make more sense to those who have read Hard Boiled Wonderland and The End of the World? Or does it perhaps make less sense?
その目だれの目?
Nov 12, 2023 9:43 AM
Feb 2020
the anime is not directly show you what it mean tho its more abstract than you think. and based on different people, everyone will understand differently.
Feb 11, 10:01 AM

Jun 2019
The characters don't know themselves and whenever they do learn and come to know whether instinctively or through direct experience and events (such as immediately leading up to their Day of Flight, during it, or its aftermath), we aren't shown and let in on it because we ourselves don't truly know. To the best available knowledge, no person alive today truly knows what came long before, what comes after, or the full extent of what's out there. Magical realism at work. Art imitates life.

In a way it's the ultimate fantasy, with its magic lying in the mystery of why we are even born and here at all. Both the haibane and the humans in the city of Glie are like us in that respect.
Mar 6, 7:11 PM

Sep 2011
I think the bigger picture elements are ultimately kind of irrelevant as the entire show is focused on the sense of salvation through forgiveness, what awaits them outside the walls being ambiguous to both the characters and the viewer kind of mirror how we ourselves really have no idea what happens to use after death but theres still this perception that we need to come to terms with our lives by the end of it. Reki learning to forgive herself and pass on is all this story really needed to cover to conclude.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

More topics from this board

Poll: » Haibane Renmei Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

jacobpaige - Apr 24, 2008

261 by rasterman7 »»
Mar 22, 8:47 PM

Poll: » Haibane Renmei Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

jacobpaige - Apr 23, 2008

77 by killugxn »»
Mar 10, 12:50 PM

» This is so beautiful.

lFrogs - Nov 16, 2022

22 by JizzyHitler »»
Mar 6, 7:53 PM

Poll: » Haibane Renmei Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

jacobpaige - Apr 22, 2008

126 by Yabuki_kyoma »»
Nov 10, 2023 7:19 PM

Poll: » Haibane Renmei - help please Is it better in Dub or Sub?

ignominy15 - Aug 11, 2015

18 by waalex11 »»
Sep 22, 2023 11:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.