Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Nov 4, 2023 9:59 PM

Jun 2017
First 13 episodes binged in a week and yet these 13... I'm not sure what's going on. I think this show is fun and cute, but I'm really struggling. I've only watched 5 episodes for like 7 months and have the hardest time starting episodes. I just want to binge it and get right through it, but I can't seem to. I'm someone who gets stupidly high levels of secondhand embarrassment (even for things I like), to the point I have to pause and compose myself. Maybe that's it? I have no idea. I really like this show and I'm just frustrated I'm having this problem

Edit: Saying that I get secondhand embarrassment, I shouldn't have mentioned it (I get it all the time). The problem is, I like it, but can't seem to get myself to start episodes for whatever reason
tothebirdsNov 5, 2023 12:14 AM
Nov 4, 2023 10:16 PM
Jan 2022
Has anime become a form of self-torture? My man if you don't want to watch further, drop it like a hot potato and be done with it. It's NOT a sin.
Nov 4, 2023 10:20 PM
Nov 2021
I have the same problem with cringe / embarrassing stuff. Though never with this but i am a manga reader so maybe try the manga instead to see if you still can’t get through it.
Nov 4, 2023 10:25 PM
Sep 2020
i never liked part 2 aswell. I gave part 1 8/10 but part 2 6/10
Nov 4, 2023 10:39 PM

Jun 2017
It's not that I don't want to drop it because of completionism or whatever, I've dropped shows for less. I like it and I'm enjoying myself when I am watching it, but can't seem to get myself to start episodes. Or watch more than one at a time

If I could get through Steven Universe (with pausing every other minute some episodes and still enjoying most of it) then I should be able to get through this
Nov 4, 2023 10:42 PM

Jun 2023
just don't watch if you don't like it wtf

"To the boy who once sought freedom, goodbye." 🕊️
Nov 4, 2023 10:44 PM

Jun 2017
I think you guys are missing what I'm saying. I like it, but can't seem to watch it
Nov 4, 2023 10:48 PM
Feb 2023
don't be ashamed of things you genuinely like duh..
Nov 4, 2023 10:50 PM

Jun 2017
I'm not ashamed of watching it? I'm having some weird mental barrier to watching it that I can't explain. I want to watch it, but can't and don't know why
Nov 4, 2023 11:00 PM

Jun 2017
Maybe I shouldn't have made this post. I barely know why I'm having this problem and mostly wanted to vent that frustration somewhere, I guess
Nov 4, 2023 11:20 PM
Mar 2022
tothebirds said:
Maybe I shouldn't have made this post. I barely know why I'm having this problem and mostly wanted to vent that frustration somewhere, I guess

This ‘vent’ doesn’t make enough sense to open a thread for. You like the show but can’t seem to keep watching it and don’t want to drop it.

Either finish strong or go home.

What are we supposed to say? No don’t give up yet….It only gets better… try reading the manga…

Honestly asking 💀
Nov 4, 2023 11:22 PM

Mar 2018
tothebirds said:
I'm not ashamed of watching it? I'm having some weird mental barrier to watching it that I can't explain. I want to watch it, but can't and don't know why

I know what you mean, when someone in a show you like does something so stupid you get second hand embarrassement and you pause the video because of it... I think it's pretty natural, after all you connect to the characters and you don't want them to embarrass themselves. Whenever that happens I just forward the video 5 to 10 secs. That usually gets over the embarrassing part of the scene without missing too much of the episode.
Nov 4, 2023 11:29 PM

Jun 2017
I don't really use the forums too much here, so if it's a waste of a post, I wasn't aware, so apologies

I'm going to get through it eventually and, I don't know, sometimes you just want to let loose a dumb problem in the back of your head that's bothering you to people who could possibly relate. Also, didn't think of anywhere better to put this, honestly
tothebirdsNov 4, 2023 11:34 PM
Nov 4, 2023 11:41 PM

Dec 2012
I binged Part 1 in 24 hours, but took over two months to see this one through. I didn't find anything disagreeable with this part, I just didn't have the same urge to watch it straight through. I think it's because Part 2 settles into its SOL pace more as the novelty of the premise was already settled in Part 1.

With the first part, it's like "Oh man, Loid is a spy?!?!? And he's marrying an assassin?!?!? CRAZY!!!"

Part two is just like "Ahh, another pleasant day at the Forger residence..."
Nov 4, 2023 11:47 PM

Jun 2017
That might be part of it, that the shift in pace has thrown me off and I didn't notice because I started Part 2 like a couple days after finishing Part 1 and considered them like the same season
Nov 4, 2023 11:48 PM
May 2022
tothebirds said:
First 13 episodes binged in a week and yet these 13... I'm not sure what's going on. I think this show is fun and cute, but I'm really struggling. I've only watched 5 episodes for like 7 months and have the hardest time starting episodes. I just want to binge it and get right through it, but I can't seem to. I'm someone who gets stupidly high levels of secondhand embarrassment (even for things I like), to the point I have to pause and compose myself. Maybe that's it? I have no idea. I really like this show and I'm just frustrated I'm having this problem

happens every once in a while. you should prob take some time off and do smth else and come back to this when you genuinely feel like watching and finishing the rest of the series
and if youre having trouble staying engaged throughout an episode, you've prob just got alot on your mind so maybe you should do smth about that first (thats usually how it is with me atleast)
Nov 5, 2023 12:06 AM

Jun 2017
That's very fair. Maybe I should just do that, toss it into the holds for a bit and see if the problem goes away by itself. What a weird issue. I really don't know what causes it. I think I've had it with other stuff before too
Nov 5, 2023 12:08 AM
Jul 2018
You should just watch it eventually, or it may make you embarrassed(as you are saying). The part 2 is quite a bit of a slow going. Anyway, it's not bad either. Just watch and enjoy Anya's actions.
Nov 5, 2023 1:35 AM

Mar 2023
Yeah, second hand embarrassment is fucking painful, although i dont think this show would give you much. Try watching Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai lmao, that shit is REAL suffering. Anyways, Spy x Family peaked in part 1 and gets slightly worse over time, but id still try to watch it.
Nov 5, 2023 1:19 AM
May 2023
I completed all parts in 2 days 🙂
Nov 5, 2023 1:23 AM

Apr 2023
I've had the same with some shows, not because of secondhand embarrassment though. Like, I'm watching Naruto sporadically even though I like the show. But I'm not bothered about that at all. Every now and then I'll be like: "ah haven't watched Naruto in a while" and put on an episode or two.
Nov 5, 2023 3:59 AM

Jul 2022
tothebirds said:
It's not that I don't want to drop it because of completionism or whatever, I've dropped shows for less. I like it and I'm enjoying myself when I am watching it, but can't seem to get myself to start episodes. Or watch more than one at a time

If I could get through Steven Universe (with pausing every other minute some episodes and still enjoying most of it) then I should be able to get through this

I understand you, that's what's happening with psycho-pass for me. It's a great snime and I love it, but somehow I can't finish it.
Nov 5, 2023 4:05 AM
Isekai Trucker

Oct 2015
You see, this is the reason I don't binge anymore. I'm only doing seasonals and the reason for that is that many series start great and interesting and then get worse and worse. If I'd binge a series like that, there'd be a high chance to straight up drop the series. Which would result that about half of my watched series would be dropped. I did binge before but only good ones.
I'd recommend only watching like this series, an episode a day or so. Spy x Family is very slow in my opinion and there's almost no progress to the mission due to other stuff happening.
"You only realize the real value of something you discarded when you get the chance to pick it up again." - Rudeus Greyrat
Nov 5, 2023 5:19 AM
Jun 2020
tothebirds said:
I think you guys are missing what I'm saying. I like it, but can't seem to watch it

I get you. Same thing happened to me whilst watching Horimiya Missing Piece and many anime nowadays.

I enjoyed Horimiya Missing piece. But it took me roughly a Month to finish all 13 episodes. It's hard to start an episode, yet once I start it 24 minutes gone in an instant. But I couldn't bring myself to watch two episodes back to back. Felt like a chore.
Nov 5, 2023 5:55 AM
Jul 2019
The second part is so boring man I feel you
Nov 5, 2023 6:07 AM
May 2023
part 1 was much much funnier, i dont kojw why part 2 wasnt :(
Nov 5, 2023 7:16 AM

Jun 2017
1crusty said:
Yeah, second hand embarrassment is fucking painful, although i dont think this show would give you much. Try watching Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai lmao, that shit is REAL suffering. Anyways, Spy x Family peaked in part 1 and gets slightly worse over time, but id still try to watch it.

I didn't have that issue too much with Chuunibyou, oddly enough. I liked that show. And this show doesn't give me that much, just a little tiny bit. I really shouldn't have mentioned it
Nov 5, 2023 7:21 AM

Jun 2017
I'm glad you guys are getting what I'm saying.

I don't usually binge all in one day or anything. I tend to get through shows in a week or two, but this one taking me 7 months and probably more is just frustrating, since I like it
Nov 5, 2023 8:14 AM

Apr 2020
Huuh... Watch it really late at night then, I guess? I don't think you'll get second hand embarrassment at that time, right?
Nov 5, 2023 8:20 AM

Jun 2017
Menternor said:
Huuh... Watch it really late at night then, I guess? I don't think you'll get second hand embarrassment at that time, right?

I'm not embarrassed about watching it with people around. Secondhand embarrassment is when you empathetically relate to a character and you feel personally and uncontrollably embarrassed for their actions or things happening to them. I think it's also called sympathetic embarrassment or empathetic embarrassment
Nov 5, 2023 12:29 PM
Oct 2023
Dont treat it as a task. Treat it as a show that you enjoy when you want to enjoy it.
Nov 5, 2023 1:13 PM
Oct 2022
I’d you don’t like it, just drop it. No point struggling to watch something you no longer enjoy. Alternatively you could read the manga instead.
Nov 5, 2023 6:35 PM
Dec 2019
I told y’all soy x family is garbo. Part 1 hit, part 2 garbage, at this rate the current season is too so I’m not gonna watch it.
Nov 5, 2023 6:49 PM
Dec 2019
Yeah, you’re not the only one honestly. Part 1 was a 8/10 for me, Part 2 felt like a chore to watch, 6/10 and I just gave up after the first few eps season 2 and ended up dropping it
Nov 5, 2023 10:13 PM
Apr 2014
Reading this post and some people's comments made me realize why I paused reading the manga Honey Lemon Soda. I love the manga and relate to the MC's shy personality, but I get second hand embarrassment everytime Uka is put in a humiliating situation or is disrespected by her boyfriend's so called "friends." Someday I'll reread the manga again with my twin sister since she read more chapters than me. Hopefully, I won't feel too triggered. 😅

More topics from this board

Poll: » Spy x Family Part 2 Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 24, 2022

365 by InClouseau »»
Sep 18, 1:07 PM

Poll: » Spy x Family Part 2 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 12, 2022

254 by PaddyVu »»
Aug 27, 6:01 PM

Poll: » Spy x Family Part 2 Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Nov 19, 2022

220 by Xramadhan »»
Aug 23, 3:48 PM

Poll: » TV anime『SPY×FAMILY』× BUMP OF CHICKEN「SOUVENIR」Anime MV

LittleStar - Jul 24

5 by kawaii_gaara »»
Jul 26, 7:04 PM

Poll: » Spy x Family Part 2 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 15, 2022

380 by removed-user »»
Jul 18, 4:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.