Forum Settings
Forums
SHAMAN KING
Available on Manga Store
New
Sep 2, 2023 1:29 PM
Mar 2023
I'm currently reading Shaman King and i was noticing that it has 35 volumes and 300 chapters, while on MAL there are 32 volumes and 288 chapters. What is the reason?
MALoween 2023:

Bonus Candy:
Sep 2, 2023 1:39 PM

Jul 2020
What version are you reading? Is it physical or digital?
Sep 2, 2023 1:58 PM
Mar 2023
Reply to Zen98
What version are you reading? Is it physical or digital?
@Zen98 I'm reading the paperback omnibuses. (there are like 12 omnibuses in total)
MALoween 2023:

Bonus Candy:
Sep 2, 2023 2:12 PM
May 2020
GjaltPower said:
I'm currently reading Shaman King and i was noticing that it has 35 volumes and 300 chapters, while on MAL there are 32 volumes and 288 chapters. What is the reason?

I can’t remember the full details but I think the original manga was cancelled and ended quite abruptly, so when kondansha got the rights to shaman king, they reprinted the originals with better art and extra chapters and gave it a true ending which is the ones you are reading if it’s the omnibus. The updated version is called Shaman King kanzenban and it’s here on mal too but they only track the extra chapters
Sep 2, 2023 2:16 PM

Jan 2017
GjaltPower said:

MAL only list the 1st edition of the entry.
Kodansha has licensed the Kanketsuban edition , which is basically the original one + all the bonus of the subsequent ones.

This edition contains the colored pages , re-drawn panels and Extra Chapters made for the Kanzenban one , the Omakes (Remix tracks) of the Renkaban , and a dozen of Extra Chapters made for diverse Fanbooks.

Keybladium said:
so when kondansha got the rights to shaman king, they reprinted the originals with better art and extra chapters and gave it a true ending which is the ones you are reading if it’s the omnibus. The updated version is called Shaman King kanzenban

The Kanzenban edition is not licensed in English.
It's the Original one (by Viz) , and the Kanketsuban one (by Kodansha).
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Sep 2, 2023 5:20 PM
May 2015
Original manga was cancelled in jump around 2004. Hiroyuki Takei came back with a definitive volume release called the Kanzenban a few years later with a dozen chapters added and the true ending. Then recently the kanzenban was officially translated and sold as omnibus volumes by Kodansha, the company that owns Shaman King now. Under Shueisha, SK was basically a dead property. Once Kodansha obtained the rights, they green lit an anime reboot, reprinted the manga with new Takei artwork, and allowed Takei to continue the sequel manga. They essentially saved the franchise from complete extinction.

You’re doing the right thing. The manga is by far the best way to experience the story as the reboot anime has a lot of issues with animation and pacing. That’s what happens when you try to shove 35 volumes of manga content into about 50 episodes. The only thing is I wish the reprint included the Shaman King 0 chapters. These include new backstory information about the main cast that really fleshes them out even more. As it is now the only way to read those Zero chapters is online.
ShamankinguYohSep 2, 2023 5:26 PM

More topics from this board

» Shaman King Kai - Shaman King Reboot

PigioGigi0 - Dec 20, 2023

1 by TheBigGlump »»
Jan 13, 7:57 PM

» Pretty dark?

Matthappy - Aug 10, 2023

3 by oponions »»
Aug 10, 2023 7:50 PM

Poll: » Shaman King Chapter 288 Discussion

Stark700 - May 23, 2015

1 by jeyzzzzz »»
Jul 12, 2023 6:34 PM

Poll: » Shaman King Chapter 23 Discussion

Switch_Z - Feb 19, 2021

2 by GohanZ »»
Mar 28, 2023 9:23 AM

Poll: » Shaman King Chapter 257 Discussion

Stars-Soul - Feb 10, 2020

1 by Simar »»
Oct 15, 2022 3:28 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.