Forum Settings
Forums

I find it impressive that Kazuki Takahashi was able to write the Pharaoh's Memories arc as cohesive as he did considering he was hospitalized and was on a lot of medication when he wrote it

New
Aug 19, 2023 6:52 PM
Feb 2019
Kazuki was suffering from ulcer when he wrote the Pharoh's Memories arc. Kazuki's publisher is pretty terrible for forcing him to write the manga while he was having medical problems. The publisher couldn't wait til he was feeling better to write the manga. Because of that decision on the publisher's part, the Pharoh's Memories arc feels rushed as a result. 

I feel sorry for Kazuki since he had to deal with publishers like those. 
MonsterTeethAug 19, 2023 8:17 PM
Aug 19, 2023 7:02 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Holy shit, I forgot that someone had told me about that before referring to some "dragon dick"... that really is impressive.

RIP king. Weekly serialization kinda sounds like hell now that you make me think about it.
Aug 19, 2023 9:56 PM
Trash

Jul 2015
What did you expect? It’s weekly shonen magazine, I don’t think they’re as harsh as they were back then but being a manga artist is brutal work.
Dec 17, 2023 10:47 AM

Dec 2012
You're leaving out the fact that Battle City took SO LONG that when the arc ended, Takahashi's editor told him to wrap up the story, which is why he couldn't tell his true vision of Yugioh R (also, the arc's plot had nothing to do with the main story) that was suppose to happen after BC. Wrapping up the manga was set in stone before Takahashi got medical problems. Your post doesn't hold in this situation.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Dec 18, 2023 10:04 PM

Aug 2019
Reply to Rob
You're leaving out the fact that Battle City took SO LONG that when the arc ended, Takahashi's editor told him to wrap up the story, which is why he couldn't tell his true vision of Yugioh R (also, the arc's plot had nothing to do with the main story) that was suppose to happen after BC. Wrapping up the manga was set in stone before Takahashi got medical problems. Your post doesn't hold in this situation.
@Rob Takahashi's health aside since you're implying that the manga ending was decided before he got sick, why would his editor tell him to wrap up the story after Battle City when that was arguably the most successful arc of the series given how iconic it was? Not to mention how much money the franchise was bringing in at the time, the OCG/TCG specifically.

The Shadow RPG/Pharaoh's Memories arc is one of the worst arcs in the series imo due to the plot moving away from the card game for the majority of the arc. The anime made the arc even worse by changing stuff around and even excluding some manga content. Not to mention how awful the animation was in half of those episodes.
Dec 19, 2023 10:54 PM

Dec 2012
Reply to Early_Morning
@Rob Takahashi's health aside since you're implying that the manga ending was decided before he got sick, why would his editor tell him to wrap up the story after Battle City when that was arguably the most successful arc of the series given how iconic it was? Not to mention how much money the franchise was bringing in at the time, the OCG/TCG specifically.

The Shadow RPG/Pharaoh's Memories arc is one of the worst arcs in the series imo due to the plot moving away from the card game for the majority of the arc. The anime made the arc even worse by changing stuff around and even excluding some manga content. Not to mention how awful the animation was in half of those episodes.
@Early_Morning "since you're implying that the manga ending was decided before he got sick"

I didn't imply anything. I outright stated it as that was what was stated.

"why would his editor tell him to wrap up the story after Battle City when that was arguably the most successful arc of the series given how iconic it was?"

Are you a anime watcher? If you followed manga sales, you would know the Yugioh manga was mid tier selling series that was once close to being canceled after that Shadi volume then restructured its story to include card games then included cards to boost (inflate) volume sales. In 38 volumes, Yugioh sold 40 million copies. Note: During the 2000's, manga was in its infancy outside of Japan compared to the 2010's and 2020's. I'm being generous here... of the 40 million, probably less than 2 million is from outside Japan well after the manga ended. In comparison, Hunter x Hunter has 37 volumes and sold 84 million. Yu Yu Hakusho has 19 volumes and sold 50 million in Japan as of 2013 (78 million in circulation as of 2022). Another comparison, Rurouni Kenshin has 28 volumes and sold 55 million in Japan as of 2012 (72 million in circulation as of 2019). Slam Dunk has 31 volumes and sold 100 million in Japan as of 2004. This is simple math to spot the difference. Yugioh relied on a card game and those other series relied on their story. Battle City was several weeks shy of lasting for 3 years from November 1999 to September 2002. The manga started in 1996. It ran its course.

"Not to mention how much money the franchise was bringing in at the time, the OCG/TCG specifically."

What does the OCG have to do with Takahashi's editor in terms of selling manga? Their job is to sell manga. Not card games. The card game can continue without the manga. It had been 4 years since the Bandai OCG and 3 years since the Konami OCG. The butchered Toei and Gallop anime altered the story to include more card games to market the card game, which is why they aired at 6:00 PM and 7:30 PM/6:30 PM, respectively. The Tokyo Dome incident proved that the card game was the money maker of the series.

"The Shadow RPG/Pharaoh's Memories arc is one of the worst arcs in the series imo due to the plot moving away from the card game for the majority of the arc."

So you are a anime and/or card game individual. As expected when it comes to Yugioh.

Also, just to be clear: I consider the Yugioh manga as one of the greatest stories to be made.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Dec 19, 2023 11:23 PM
Jul 2018
It was a cool arc but I prefer the anime version of it. Shin Yoshida had a more interesting take.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yu☆Gi☆Oh! Chapter 127 Discussion

removed-user - Aug 9, 2019

2 by Queeneugi »»
Mar 16, 8:41 AM

» Manga or Anime, Which to start with?

Biisoo - Mar 11

5 by Infamous_Empire »»
Mar 12, 11:57 AM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Chapter 1 Discussion

thecatchphrase - Jan 20, 2012

14 by Rob »»
Dec 17, 2023 11:47 PM

» When this aspect of Yami Bakura's identity was revealed in the final arc, what did you think of it?

MonsterTeeth - Aug 25, 2023

2 by Rob »»
Dec 17, 2023 10:39 AM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Chapter 4 Discussion

DeleteThisShit - Dec 22, 2013

4 by FMmatron »»
Nov 20, 2023 5:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.