Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 3, 2023 2:34 AM
Jul 2020
I gave this an 8/10 right off the bat. The story seemed like it was going places, the characters were likeable, voice acting was great and, while the animation was indeed nothing special, the direction 100% made up for it.

That lasted for…

Exactly two episodes.

Because for the third and fourth episode, like, really, the hell was that?

From awkward delivery of lines to static animation that is made even worse by a direction that seems like it simply doesn’t care about making you feel… Anything, really.

It’s just such a shame. The first episodes were so good. And the story seems like it has a lot of potential. 

Am I the only one who felt a MASSIVE drop in technical quality or is this some sort of collective felling? 
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 3, 2023 2:44 AM
Jul 2022
just read the manga
Aug 3, 2023 2:46 AM
Jul 2020
Reference-kun said:
just read the manga

That’s the plan if the anime fails to keep me entertained, yeah.
Isekai-EnjoyerAug 3, 2023 3:06 AM
Aug 3, 2023 2:50 AM
Sep 2021
As a manga fan, I'm satisfied with the Anime...
Aug 3, 2023 3:51 AM
Apr 2022
What? It was always mediocre and maintains that mediocre status. Animation and directing has and will always be just okay. The story is what will carry it
Aug 3, 2023 4:33 AM
Jul 2021
Posts like this make me appreciate that I have almost no grasp of animation and production quality. I can’t tell when something is mediocre or slightly bad. I can tell when something is awful. But it’s gotta be really bad. I like being able to enjoy shows when others claim that the quality is dropping off. Though. I think some artistic choices might bother me. And CGI has more of a chance to make me dislike something. But I personally haven’t noticed anything “bad” animation wise in this show yet.
Aug 3, 2023 4:42 AM
Jun 2021
If you felt something— you were looking for something, to be expected from an upbraiding eye. The only thing which dropped after those first 2 episodes was the ‘tournament arc atmosphere’. Perhaps all you cared about was the dopamine hit of beholding a being of great and anomalous power dominate everyone and everything around him— subverting all precedents and expectations.

There is nothing abnormal about the 3rd and 4th episodes, rather these were exactly what the first two were building up to. If you don’t like it, you never liked it in the first place. I am no advocate for this show and consider it to be yet another interesting and enjoyable premise ruined by the scruples of Shounen publication guidelines; however, you are blaming your failing on someone else over here and that is most irksome. ‘The OP MC achieves the impossible by command of his sheer omnipotence’ is just not what this show was all about. The world does not revolve around the protagonist and that is where your judgment fails.
///
Aug 3, 2023 6:48 AM

Jul 2016
Yeah I am liking the story but I really felt the animation quality drop in these last two episodes.

I am still liking it and I will continue watching but I wish the animation was better. I feel like this show deserves much better animation. Hopefully things improve later on in the show.
Aug 3, 2023 6:48 AM

Jul 2016
Kockorzo said:
If you felt something— you were looking for something, to be expected from an upbraiding eye. The only thing which dropped after those first 2 episodes was the ‘tournament arc atmosphere’. Perhaps all you cared about was the dopamine hit of beholding a being of great and anomalous power dominate everyone and everything around him— subverting all precedents and expectations.

There is nothing abnormal about the 3rd and 4th episodes, rather these were exactly what the first two were building up to. If you don’t like it, you never liked it in the first place. I am no advocate for this show and consider it to be yet another interesting and enjoyable premise ruined by the scruples of Shounen publication guidelines; however, you are blaming your failing on someone else over here and that is most irksome. ‘The OP MC achieves the impossible by command of his sheer omnipotence’ is just not what this show was all about. The world does not revolve around the protagonist and that is where your judgment fails.

Uhhh dude you okay?
Aug 3, 2023 7:51 AM
Jul 2020
Kockorzo said:

My man, I’m know I’m one to talk, but I think you’re off your meds.
Aug 3, 2023 8:07 AM
Oct 2020
justhuman22 said:
Posts like this make me appreciate that I have almost no grasp of animation and production quality. I can’t tell when something is mediocre or slightly bad. I can tell when something is awful. But it’s gotta be really bad. I like being able to enjoy shows when others claim that the quality is dropping off. Though. I think some artistic choices might bother me. And CGI has more of a chance to make me dislike something. But I personally haven’t noticed anything “bad” animation wise in this show yet.

Great words my fellow less animation more story enjoyer, it's the same for me, Idk what some people complain about sometimes, and on cgi I have to takes, cgi in the middle of a 2d anime is almost surely gonna look bad, but a anime which is basically just cgi is not gonna be that much bother
Aug 3, 2023 8:43 AM
Oct 2022
justhuman22 said:

^^^^^ well said, more people need to have a similar mindset when it comes to entertaintment, like if you're enjoying it then cool if not then it's just not for you
Aug 3, 2023 3:53 PM
Fuwa_san

Mar 2013
As an anime watcher with multiple fantasy shows completed, I still don't know what's so good about this yet...
Aug 3, 2023 4:01 PM

Jan 2013
I'm not really seeing any of those issues, it just... didn't really change that much, at all. 
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Aug 3, 2023 4:22 PM

Jul 2011
CrunchyCrobat said:
justhuman22 said:

Great words my fellow less animation more story enjoyer, it's the same for me, Idk what some people complain about sometimes, and on cgi I have to takes, cgi in the middle of a 2d anime is almost surely gonna look bad, but a anime which is basically just cgi is not gonna be that much bother
+1

If the story it tells is interesting and properly implemented "animation quality" goes totally unnoticed for me (unless it is either something disastrous or something astonishing) :)
Aug 3, 2023 9:16 PM

Jan 2020
The main problem with this series imo is that there hasn’t been enough of Helck. Animation isn’t horrible
Aug 3, 2023 9:53 PM

May 2022
@ OP

No. Not at all. The current production of this anime has impressively laid out scenarios, squeezed in ample characterization, world building, while providing action and humor. The only drop in quality I could see is some of the animation and drawing in episode 3-4.. but these are very few, negligible instances. Besides that the art direction, writing, story and music are quite fantastic. I am particularly pleased with the compositional pieces because of how great they've been; they ranged from stressfully engaging to ambiently immersive. I actually went to look up the composer after episode 4's closing.

Furthermore, Helck comes as a shocker after enjoying a lions share of formulaic anime's. Its a breath of fresh air that has layers of entertainment and intrigue. It's a reminder to me why watching anime can be so exciting. To the credit of this adaptation its telling when from 4 episodes alone I can get a sense of the source materials scale with it's characterization and world building.

All that is to say that this adaptation, and the source material is very impressive.

justhuman22 said:

You likely aren't noticing much because there really isn't much that's bad. In episode 3 and 4 you might notice some funny looking distant faces of supporting characters. In some case of Helck's face for the sake of humor. Interestingly Vermilia sees little to no compromisation to her drawing or animation.

I think the studio must really love Vermilia as a character. My personal favorites so far are Vermilia and Rococo!

LordKirkisAug 4, 2023 3:34 AM
Aug 4, 2023 12:06 AM
Jan 2013
The animation is servicable.Its not bad at all.The story is worth it so far though.

Aug 4, 2023 4:45 PM
Feb 2022
The series looks cheap, because it was the only way to get 24 episodes for it. But the story is all that matters and fans are well aware it's going to be a gem in the rough situation. And truth be told, you'd have a hard time selling the Helck manga on the art either, especially early on.
Aug 4, 2023 11:29 PM

Dec 2016
LordKirkis said:

justhuman22 said:

You likely aren't noticing much because there really isn't much that's bad. In episode 3 and 4 you might notice some funny looking distant faces of supporting characters. In some case of Helck's face for the sake of humor. Interestingly Vermilia sees little to no compromisation to her drawing or animation.

I think the studio must really love Vermilia as a character. My personal favorites so far are Vermilia and Rococo!

This meme was made for peeps like you two

There's definitely a lack of production values (animation and direction along with art) in episodes 3 & 4. It goes beyond just funny distant faces and it's pretty bland when it comes to choices of animation what should've been a more heated battle that had been foreseen since episode 2 & 3. There's for instance the weird choice of animating the big guy who casts barriers from behind when he's hitting one of the angels, like for real, you can't see anything from that pov. There's also the tons of exposition in order to pad up time with little to no animation. A good director would have worked around it in order to make it more fit for an animated medium rather than copy word per word what was meant to be read in long panels in a static medium like manga.
KimurahAug 4, 2023 11:36 PM
Aug 5, 2023 12:02 AM
Feb 2022
Are you gonna keep beating this dead horse for long? Everybody by now knows the animation is mid, and does not care because they want to see the story going. Story's great, and if people watched DB Super, they can bear with this level of animation too.
Aug 5, 2023 12:31 AM
Oct 2019
Ravenclaw690 said:
justhuman22 said:

^^^^^ well said, more people need to have a similar mindset when it comes to entertaintment, like if you're enjoying it then cool if not then it's just not for you

This, Just this.
Massive W bro
Aug 5, 2023 1:38 AM

May 2022
Kimurah said:
LordKirkis said:

There's definitely a lack of production values (animation and direction along with art) in episodes 3 & 4. It goes beyond just funny distant faces and it's pretty bland when it comes to choices of animation what should've been a more heated battle that had been foreseen since episode 2 & 3. There's for instance the weird choice of animating the big guy who casts barriers from behind when he's hitting one of the angels, like for real, you can't see anything from that pov. There's also the tons of exposition in order to pad up time with little to no animation. A good director would have worked around it in order to make it more fit for an animated medium rather than copy word per word what was meant to be read in long panels in a static medium like manga.

So you want better animation.. don't we all? I know I do. I love great animation.. in fact it's one of my favorite things about anime.

That aside we are getting 26 episodes right off the bat right? Do we have any idea what the budget is for this production? Hmm. I don't think so.. that is unless you work for the production company. Or maybe your uncle works there! Yeah?

Well what about the tons of exposition you say? Helck is a Battle Shonen of sorts. Well more specifically its a parody of Battle Shonen's. Hey what a surprise.. maybe that director is good after all!

Did I mention how we don't know the budget for this show or any show for that matter? Well then I guess we're both clueless on the matter. Cool meme though!

Ill reiterate.. I really enjoy great animation and high production value, but that is not always possible with every production. And besides.. animation is only one aspect of anime; there is plenty more to appreciate and seep value from. When talking about Helck specifically I don't believe its lazy.. my guess is its firmly budgeted, but its still plenty enjoyable!
LordKirkisAug 5, 2023 3:15 AM
Aug 6, 2023 5:57 PM

Dec 2016
LordKirkis said:

So you want better animation.. don't we all? I know I do. I love great animation.. in fact it's one of my favorite things about anime.

Better animation is definitely a big plus for most shows, but it's no always the only right answer for a good adaptation (I'm looking at you God of Highschool)

LordKirkis said:

That aside we are getting 26 episodes right off the bat right? Do we have any idea what the budget is for this production? Hmm. I don't think so.. that is unless you work for the production company. Or maybe your uncle works there! Yeah?

People that know jack shit about how the animation industry works always pull out "the budget" fallacy argument. Most anime productions are on roughly the same budget. It's the production time slot and the skill of the animation staff that makes the big difference between something looking great and something looking deficient like Helck does. Making the call out for 2 consecutive cours was already a death sentence for the staff that are obviously struggling to even make the most "average" production.

LordKirkis said:

Well what about the tons of exposition you say? Helck is a Battle Shonen of sorts. Well more specifically its a parody of Battle Shonen's. Hey what a surprise.. maybe that director is good after all!

The word parody is also some level buzzword that people love to throw around when they don't undertand comedy. Nothing in this show qualifies so far as a parody of battle shonen, as in making a huge reference or framing in an indoubtfully thematic satire. If shows with random META gags where the benchmark to attain satire status, DragonBall, FairyTail, and any super common battle and adventure shonen would be instantly recognized as parodies. This show is just painted by the numbers of the most average battle shonen book.

LordKirkis said:

Did I mention how we don't know the budget for this show or any show for that matter? Well then I guess we're both clueless on the matter. Cool meme though!

Yes, you did mention it already and repeating it with nothing else to add just gives me the impression that you have absolutely nothing to stand on to defend this piss poor animation project.

LordKirkis said:

Ill reiterate.. I really enjoy great animation and high production value, but that is not always possible with every production. And besides.. animation is only one aspect of anime; there is plenty more to appreciate and seep value from. When talking about Helck specifically I don't believe its lazy.. my guess is its firmly budgeted, but its still plenty enjoyable!

And if you read correctly my original post, it wasn't just the animation, it was everything about it. The direction choices, the storyboard, the presentation for the character's background, the poor and lazy choices to translate word per word long soliloquis to an animated medium and such.
KimurahAug 6, 2023 6:10 PM
Aug 6, 2023 7:01 PM

May 2022
Thats a lot to unpack. Of course you understand animation isn’t everything. I don’t need to explain that to you.

There is no fallacy in budget, its reality. But your mental gymnastics would have you convince yourself its the same budget across the board for all animations. I think that is unrealistic and oversimplification on the matter. The other things you mention are valid factors, but Im not seeing it in this show. Not yet at least.

To produce comedy requires understanding of the subject matter and comedy itself. To enjoy a comedy on the other hand is dependent on the individual. Similarly you may have the thought that Helck does not qualify as a parody.. thats an interesting thought, but I won’t argue it as I just explained its subjectivity.

As for piss poor animation.. given the amount of anime you’ve watched I’m positive you’ve watched much worse.. and enjoyed it too!

Lastly I think its far too early to have any strong negative opinions on this show as we are only 4 in out of 26 episodes. You are making far too many assumptions. Yes I assume as well, but I do think with some certainty that you are wrong about Helck’s current showing.
LordKirkisAug 6, 2023 7:28 PM
Aug 6, 2023 9:53 PM
Jul 2020
Kockorzo said:

Dunno why you’re talking about the plot, though?

I’m talking exclusively about animation and direction. The plot itself has nothing to do with it.

Edit: Just noticed I already answered you some weeks prior to now. Don’t mind me.
Aug 7, 2023 2:10 AM
Jun 2021
Isekai-Enjoyer said:
Kockorzo said:

I’m talking exclusively about animation and direction. The plot itself has nothing to do with it.

Edit: Just noticed I already answered you some weeks prior to now. Don’t mind me.

Is this what you meant by ‘off your meds’? Expected of a lowlife to have the comprehension skills of a mutated monkey.
///
Aug 7, 2023 2:18 AM
Jul 2020
Kockorzo said:
Isekai-Enjoyer said:

Is this what you meant by ‘off your meds’? Expected of a lowlife to have the comprehension skills of a mutated monkey.

I don’t think you know the meaning of “comprehension”, but sure.
Aug 7, 2023 3:04 AM

Mar 2011
LordKirkis said:
Interestingly Vermilia sees little to no compromisation to her drawing or animation.

That is actually a carryover from the manga. Not to discredit the work the animators are putting in to bring it to life, but for the first arc of the story Vermilia would sometimes look like the mangaka was pulling her from an entirely different manga and pasting her on the page when compared with the other characters due to the complexity and attention to detail each rendition would get.
Aug 7, 2023 4:33 AM

May 2022
SAMOAK said:
LordKirkis said:
Interestingly Vermilia sees little to no compromisation to her drawing or animation.

That is actually a carryover from the manga. Not to discredit the work the animators are putting in to bring it to life, but for the first arc of the story Vermilia would sometimes look like the mangaka was pulling her from an entirely different manga and pasting her on the page when compared with the other characters due to the complexity and attention to detail each rendition would get.

I thought they did! There were a couple of shots of Vermilia that I found very interesting and enjoyable. No doubt one of them was where she descends to the gate. I really enjoyed how that looked so I am happy to see bits straight from the mangaka.
Aug 7, 2023 6:58 AM
Jan 2015
OP favourite show is chainsaw man, he talks about bad production quality, KEKEKEKE.
Sorry, TIL that 3 fps in action scenes and shitty 3d is peak production (CSM, Jujutsu) and Helck is bad.
Helck is mediocre, but Mappa is legit _SHIT_.
Aug 8, 2023 3:51 AM
Jun 2021
Isekai-Enjoyer said:
Kockorzo said:

Yet another primitive response as you defend your fragile ball of emotion by veil of reason and disparagement.
\\\\

You’re making a fool of your already inferior self by overriding that reality with an unknown possibility of your corrector being flawed and wrong.
///
Aug 8, 2023 5:51 AM
Jul 2020
Kockorzo said:
Isekai-Enjoyer said:

Yet another primitive response as you defend your fragile ball of emotion by veil of reason and disparagement.
\\\\

You’re making a fool of your already inferior self by overriding that reality with an unknown possibility of your corrector being flawed and wrong.

K

(Character limit)
Aug 8, 2023 8:53 AM

Sep 2011
As an anime only nothing has stood out as anything below servicible.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Aug 8, 2023 10:09 AM

May 2022
Kimurah said:
LordKirkis said:

Better animation is definitely a big plus for most shows, but it's no always the only right answer for a good adaptation (I'm looking at you God of Highschool)

LordKirkis said:

People that know jack shit about how the animation industry works always pull out "the budget" fallacy argument. Most anime productions are on roughly the same budget. It's the production time slot and the skill of the animation staff that makes the big difference between something looking great and something looking deficient like Helck does. Making the call out for 2 consecutive cours was already a death sentence for the staff that are obviously struggling to even make the most "average" production.

LordKirkis said:

The word parody is also some level buzzword that people love to throw around when they don't undertand comedy. Nothing in this show qualifies so far as a parody of battle shonen, as in making a huge reference or framing in an indoubtfully thematic satire. If shows with random META gags where the benchmark to attain satire status, DragonBall, FairyTail, and any super common battle and adventure shonen would be instantly recognized as parodies. This show is just painted by the numbers of the most average battle shonen book.

LordKirkis said:

Yes, you did mention it already and repeating it with nothing else to add just gives me the impression that you have absolutely nothing to stand on to defend this piss poor animation project.

LordKirkis said:

And if you read correctly my original post, it wasn't just the animation, it was everything about it. The direction choices, the storyboard, the presentation for the character's background, the poor and lazy choices to translate word per word long soliloquis to an animated medium and such.

Off topic but you aren't accepting DM/PM. Ill haphazardly post it here;

"Its cool AF that you enjoyed DitF. That is a very special, and beautiful show.

Some suggestions for you:

I think with JoJo starting with Golden Wind would be a poor introduction to the series. In fact I did not enjoy Golden Wind much if at all. I suggest you go back and begin with Battle Tendencies, then Stardust Crusaders, and finally Diamond Unbreakable; the latter two of which are my favorites.

You watched 1 episode of Uzaki Chan, but you likely judged the show to quickly. I'm guessing you did because you did enjoy Nagatoro.. and I noticed you warmed up even further with season II. So I suggest you finish Uzaki Chan as well. You might enjoy it as both shows are similar in quality and enjoyability.

You should watch Monogatari... as much as you can squeeze into your schedule. I think you would enjoy that as well. Do so in order of release.

If you like Scifi. Try Blue Gender.

Finally you've watched way more anime's than me, but what I have watched and scored highly you have scored similarly. That said.. I am open to some suggestions from you.

I enjoy Sci-fi, some romance, and definitely comedy. Not too into harsh, crude, violent anime unless these things serve a purpose narratively. Thanks in any case. And happy to discuss and debate you in the future. (oh and I hope you come around to Helck and you keep watching.)
"
LordKirkisAug 8, 2023 10:41 AM
Aug 8, 2023 1:22 PM

Nov 2009
I don't mind how the series is going.

In fact... the fact this is based on old-school style should already tell you what sort of animation style this will be getting, lol.

Personally the series is not bad, it's what I expected.
Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*
Aug 8, 2023 11:17 PM

Dec 2016
LordKirkis said:
Thats a lot to unpack. Of course you understand animation isn’t everything. I don’t need to explain that to you.

There is no fallacy in budget, its reality. But your mental gymnastics would have you convince yourself its the same budget across the board for all animations. I think that is unrealistic and oversimplification on the matter. The other things you mention are valid factors, but Im not seeing it in this show. Not yet at least.

Alright then. Taking your side, then you must certainly know the averages on budget for just a standard 12 episode series, you should tell us what's the magic number of dollars or yen between a really well animated series, lets say Chainsaw Man and something like this sham of a show called Helck.

But since you're not going to come up with an actual number nor real defense that supports your fallacious arguments, I'll give you once again the reality check. Take for instance the legendary fight between Levi and the Beast titan fight from Attack on Titan. That scene alone took 1 whole month in order to create the storyboard and a whole 3 months to animate it by Arafumi Imai and his team. Throwing money at this project would do squat, this was all about having the best of the best to do the job. It comes down to 2 variables, time and skill.

There's another example on a lesser show like Granbelm. In episodes 10 and 11 the whole keyframe task was done by a single animator, and a handful of inbetweeners. Making the main keyframes of a single episode it's a very time consuming task that requires several animators, and top of it all, Granbelm wasn't a cheap action comedy like Helck, it was a pretty heavy mecha action oriented show.

There was an old reddit thread in the r/ama sub a few years ago with one of the main animators from One Punch Man and he mentioned that even though the animation budget numbers are pretty much a secret for the regular audience he said that most of the time they were pretty similar one to another. He also claimed that One Punch Man 2 had a similar budget to One Punch man, but there's an obvious world of difference in terms of animation quality between the two. What's the variable? a skillful staff against a not so skilled one.

The results still validate my argument. Time plus proper skill produces great pieces of animation. Throwing money at it does absolutely nothing.

LordKirkis said:

To produce comedy requires understanding of the subject matter and comedy itself. To enjoy a comedy on the other hand is dependent on the individual. Similarly you may have the thought that Helck does not qualify as a parody.. thats an interesting thought, but I won’t argue it as I just explained its subjectivity.

You previously explained squat and now you're hiding behind the shield of "subjectivity". Labeling a show as a parody isn't really that hard, it's about framing the satire or mocking without reasonable doubt. A gag show with some meta jokes isn't a parody, You claimed that the dialogues in Helck are a parody of long and convoluted dialogues in battle shonen, but in Helck, the dialogues aren't doing anything different than battle shonen does, so it's playing it "straight". You know what would be a good parody for battle shonen dialgues, that the main character would start their long winded rants and immediately say, "fudge it" lets not do this and jump right into action, or just jump into the conclusion of the fight and giving the middle finger to the audience because what they want to see is the actual fight.

LordKirkis said:

As for piss poor animation.. given the amount of anime you’ve watched I’m positive you’ve watched much worse.. and enjoyed it too!

You're making a lot of assumptions when you can't even give a well cemented defense on what you've been trying to debate in the first place. And precisely because I've watched a hell lot more shows that you do it's what gives me the experience to separate the wheat from the chaff without ease nor personal attachments.

LordKirkis said:

Lastly I think its far too early to have any strong negative opinions on this show as we are only 4 in out of 26 episodes. You are making far too many assumptions. Yes I assume as well, but I do think with some certainty that you are wrong about Helck’s current showing.

A series isn't going to become any better after a second cour debutes, what we've seen so far it's pretty much the best of it (heck, the first episode always has the most time consuming scenes to animate in order to hook the audience, and yet this show episode 1 is barely average at best)

But hey, I am petty enough, and I will watch the whole series and come back to this precise thread once it's over to call you out on how you were wrong and the show was always an anime from the dollar store.
Aug 9, 2023 12:53 AM

May 2022
Kimurah said:
LordKirkis said:

Alright then. Taking your side, then you must certainly know the averages on budget for just a standard 12 episode series, you should tell us what's the magic number of dollars or yen between a really well animated series, lets say Chainsaw Man and something like this sham of a show called Helck.

But since you're not going to come up with an actual number nor real defense that supports your fallacious arguments, I'll give you once again the reality check. Take for instance the legendary fight between Levi and the Beast titan fight from Attack on Titan. That scene alone took 1 whole month in order to create the storyboard and a whole 3 months to animate it by Arafumi Imai and his team. Throwing money at this project would do squat, this was all about having the best of the best to do the job. It comes down to 2 variables, time and skill.

There's another example on a lesser show like Granbelm. In episodes 10 and 11 the whole keyframe task was done by a single animator, and a handful of inbetweeners. Making the main keyframes of a single episode it's a very time consuming task that requires several animators, and top of it all, Granbelm wasn't a cheap action comedy like Helck, it was a pretty heavy mecha action oriented show.

There was an old reddit thread in the r/ama sub a few years ago with one of the main animators from One Punch Man and he mentioned that even though the animation budget numbers are pretty much a secret for the regular audience he said that most of the time they were pretty similar one to another. He also claimed that One Punch Man 2 had a similar budget to One Punch man, but there's an obvious world of difference in terms of animation quality between the two. What's the variable? a skillful staff against a not so skilled one.

The results still validate my argument. Time plus proper skill produces great pieces of animation. Throwing money at it does absolutely nothing.

LordKirkis said:

You previously explained squat and now you're hiding behind the shield of "subjectivity". Labeling a show as a parody isn't really that hard, it's about framing the satire or mocking without reasonable doubt. A gag show with some meta jokes isn't a parody, You claimed that the dialogues in Helck are a parody of long and convoluted dialogues in battle shonen, but in Helck, the dialogues aren't doing anything different than battle shonen does, so it's playing it "straight". You know what would be a good parody for battle shonen dialgues, that the main character would start their long winded rants and immediately say, "fudge it" lets not do this and jump right into action, or just jump into the conclusion of the fight and giving the middle finger to the audience because what they want to see is the actual fight.

LordKirkis said:

You're making a lot of assumptions when you can't even give a well cemented defense on what you've been trying to debate in the first place. And precisely because I've watched a hell lot more shows that you do it's what gives me the experience to separate the wheat from the chaff without ease nor personal attachments.

LordKirkis said:

A series isn't going to become any better after a second cour debutes, what we've seen so far it's pretty much the best of it (heck, the first episode always has the most time consuming scenes to animate in order to hook the audience, and yet this show episode 1 is barely average at best)

But hey, I am petty enough, and I will watch the whole series and come back to this precise thread once it's over to call you out on how you were wrong and the show was always an anime from the dollar store.

I don’t know about all that, there could be truths to what you say about budget.. I don’t outright doubt it. The examples you’ve given of well animated shows is interesting and noteworthy, but those could be considered outliers. Anyways for now I will have to consider this debate inconclusive.. or at the very least trivial enough to not warrant extensive discussion. Im still open to light engagement.

Its great that you love anime and consume a lot of it, but frankly its not quantity I care about but the quality. You do have appreciation for fantastic shows, and for that reason I cant outright dismiss your thoughts on Helck. But you really blowing my mind right now saying Helck is bad/cheap. And 4 episodes in? I'm going to have to consider that a hot take, that's the best I can do for the moment.

Lastly its good that you will be watching more if not all of Helck, but I fear you will struggle to asses it objectively having already judged it prematurely. And now with reasons to go against it too. But sure, give it a shot; Let me hear both positives and negatives of the show once you've finished it. Otherwise I will just have to consider your assessment lacking and/or invalid.

LordKirkisAug 9, 2023 3:20 AM
Aug 10, 2023 8:37 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Latest episode i couldn't help but notice the almost non-existant animation, they cut corners even on normal discussion scenes.
Aug 10, 2023 9:22 AM

Jul 2020
I'm so disappointed in this production. I can't tell if it's because of inexperienced staff, lack of time or lack of funds, maybe all three. For example, for an action anime, every action scene is aggressively slow. And when action isn't happening, the show is just constantly hurting my eyes with drab colors, and dull lighting. In episode 4 they did a closeup of the human angel and it was in such low quality I don't know how it got through the director. But its a bunch of small things like this that make the anime as a whole weaker. The animation is one of a handful of problems. Shot composition is lazy and seems not to have received a lot of foresight. it'll cut from someone fighting to standing still in the span of three seconds without any reason why. Sometimes the background and the foreground don't work well with each other (i.e. every shot from above makes the characters look like they're doing the Michael Jackson lean). The character design is also really bad. You'd think they'd hire someone to fix the designs from the manga but they're still fugly most of the time, especially Helck who looks a different kind of ugly in every shot he's in. And for a character so heavily muscled and shirtless, his body never looks quite right. Maybe they could've made his muscles less defined? I get the sense they didn't have a good artist making the character sheets, or at all. It feels very amateurish. And while not every fault lands on the studio, if they couldn't handle a production this big, then they shouldn't have bothered. 
Aug 10, 2023 10:35 AM
Jul 2020
Kaikaidou said:
I'm so disappointed in this production. I can't tell if it's because of inexperienced staff, lack of time or lack of funds, maybe all three. For example, for an action anime, every action scene is aggressively slow. And when action isn't happening, the show is just constantly hurting my eyes with drab colors, and dull lighting. In episode 4 they did a closeup of the human angel and it was in such low quality I don't know how it got through the director. But its a bunch of small things like this that make the anime as a whole weaker. The animation is one of a handful of problems. Shot composition is lazy and seems not to have received a lot of foresight. it'll cut from someone fighting to standing still in the span of three seconds without any reason why. Sometimes the background and the foreground don't work well with each other (i.e. every shot from above makes the characters look like they're doing the Michael Jackson lean). The character design is also really bad. You'd think they'd hire someone to fix the designs from the manga but they're still fugly most of the time, especially Helck who looks a different kind of ugly in every shot he's in. And for a character so heavily muscled and shirtless, his body never looks quite right. Maybe they could've made his muscles less defined? I get the sense they didn't have a good artist making the character sheets, or at all. It feels very amateurish. And while not every fault lands on the studio, if they couldn't handle a production this big, then they shouldn't have bothered. 

I whole heartedly agree.

Below average animation is nothing when direction can make up for it. Just look at Dark Gathering.

Animation is pretty bad, but they actually use their budget right and focus on shit that matters.

Now, the plot isn’t really comparable. Helck is much better.

But you can CLEARLY spot how much better the direction is in other animes.
Isekai-EnjoyerAug 10, 2023 2:01 PM
Aug 10, 2023 1:10 PM

May 2009
You fucking whiners. You should be glad that adaptation doesn't butcher your favourite manga, just like it happened last year with mine.
Aug 10, 2023 2:01 PM
Jul 2020
bastek66 said:
You fucking whiners. You should be glad that adaptation doesn't butcher your favourite manga, just like it happened last year with mine.

Do you wanna name it or nah?

Because, while this ain’t a complete butchering, it’s still relatively disappointing.
Aug 10, 2023 3:10 PM

Jan 2020
The only downright horrible episodes are Episode 3 & 5 which are outsourced to Namu Animation, a korean shack that I bet no one heard of. In the latest episode during the credits, the Animation director role was changed to PeeWee Animation Director, and an additional role was added called, Retake Animation Director done by "Beat" which is obviously an alias for how tired they are. Funny enough Episode 5 managed to not melt as much as episode 3 which is all thanks to the hard work by Oohashi (Previously known for his sub-character design work on other Satelight shows) who was the PeeWee Animation Director for the episode. The previous episode however was actually pretty well-directed imo considering it was a priority episode and wasn't outsourced.
Aug 10, 2023 4:57 PM
Jul 2020
KatoWorks said:
The only downright horrible episodes are Episode 3 & 5 which are outsourced to Namu Animation, a korean shack that I bet no one heard of. In the latest episode during the credits, the Animation director role was changed to PeeWee Animation Director, and an additional role was added called, Retake Animation Director done by "Beat" which is obviously an alias for how tired they are. Funny enough Episode 5 managed to not melt as much as episode 3 which is all thanks to the hard work by Oohashi (Previously known for his sub-character design work on other Satelight shows) who was the PeeWee Animation Director for the episode. The previous episode however was actually pretty well-directed imo considering it was a priority episode and wasn't outsourced.

That’s interesting to know.

Where do you check this info?
Aug 10, 2023 7:57 PM

Jan 2020
Isekai-Enjoyer said:
KatoWorks said:

That’s interesting to know.

Where do you check this info?
You know what I made one error, apparently that "Peewee" Sakkan role, was actually "Piwi" the bird that showed up in this episode. Kinda bizarre if you ask me.

I still don't know who went under the alias of "Beat", maybe it's just a personification of all their frustration?

It's on the ending credits of these episodes,
KatoWorksAug 10, 2023 8:04 PM
Aug 10, 2023 10:08 PM

Jul 2017
I wasn't sure if it was only me that felt this way. Definitely not vibing with the latest episodes. Completely lost interest already. 
Sep 27, 2023 4:59 AM

Jan 2013
Reply to Kimurah
LordKirkis said:

LordKirkis said:

LordKirkis said:

LordKirkis said:

Kimurah said:
A series isn't going to become any better after a second cour debutes

You should watch Garo the Animation season 1 lol. I thought the first court was pretty decent, but sheesh, that second half? Crazy
[url][/url]
Sep 27, 2023 9:18 AM

Dec 2016
Reply to ThatGuyYeah
Kimurah said:
A series isn't going to become any better after a second cour debutes

You should watch Garo the Animation season 1 lol. I thought the first court was pretty decent, but sheesh, that second half? Crazy
ThatGuyYeah said:

But Garo was animated by MAPPA studios, and even in their early days they had quite the talent. Helck is animated by Satelight that has a big bundle of "dollar store" shows and just a couple of well animated shows.
Sep 27, 2023 2:34 PM

Jan 2013
Reply to Kimurah
ThatGuyYeah said:

But Garo was animated by MAPPA studios, and even in their early days they had quite the talent. Helck is animated by Satelight that has a big bundle of "dollar store" shows and just a couple of well animated shows.
Kimurah said:

For sure. I just meant that Garo is an example of a series where literally everything gets better in the second half: story, characters, animation, etc.
[url][/url]
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» English Dub Announced for April 2024

jorel262 - Mar 21

1 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Apr 30, 11:00 PM

Poll: » Helck Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2023

117 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Apr 30, 10:52 PM

Poll: » Helck Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 1, 2023

94 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Apr 30, 10:08 PM

Poll: » Helck Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 25, 2023

127 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Apr 30, 9:34 PM

Poll: » Helck Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2023

94 by Steve024 »»
Apr 16, 12:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.