Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 10, 2023 1:18 AM
Jan 2021
Looking at the recent adaptation of the final arc of Slam Dunk, it seems relatively well received, and while I personally have not seen the totality of the anime or this final movie, I do know that it adapts 53 chapters into a 2 hour long movie. While we may not get the in depth TV pacing of the previous 4 (5?) seasons,  I think that saying "Haikyuu is dead," is just ridiculous. Realistically, if each movie is around 2 hours long, we will get a well done final duo of movies, hopefully sending off the series in a way it deserves, with some truly beautiful film quality animation.

Also, while chapter count surely can be a good metric of how well something is adapted, it's important to note that different types of series will require different amounts of time to cover the same chapter count, specifically depending on the contents of the chapters. A manga that is dense like One Piece is naturally going to require more animation to fully adapt, and can stretch 2 chapters into 1 well paced episode. On the contrary, a manga like A Silent Voice which features many panels with little to no dialogue, and a few large panels per page compared to One Piece's often times 5+ panels per page will take significantly less time to animate. This is why A Silent Voice works as a movie, having condensed 7 volumes/64 chapters into a 2 hour long movie. 

Action scenes also are well known to take far less time to animate due to these reasons, and, while I have not read the remainder of Haikyuu, I would bet money that, like many series, it uses many panels without words and double page spreads as it nears its climax.

I think we should stop doom-saying and give the damn movies a chance. They might be faster paced than the rest of the series, but I'm confident that they aren't going to do this series dirty, and that Haikyuu will have a wonderful conclusion.
novavsenJul 10, 2023 1:29 AM
Jul 10, 2023 2:26 AM
Feb 2021
People are dumb you know, so yeah they take news and don’t know anything so they start panicking
Jul 10, 2023 7:47 AM
Apr 2017
The pacing of the final 100 chapters is the EXACT same as the rest of the series. Meaning you'd need at least 30+ episodes to adapt it all. The movies will not be 2h long. No anime movie is that long. They'll probably be 1h 30 min averege. If you use basic logic you'll come to the inevitable conclusion that this is doomed to fail. But yes, at least the animation will be pretty to look at, if that's all ur interested in when watching Haikyuu.
Jul 10, 2023 9:04 AM
Jul 2022
it's called haikyuu final and the last season ended with the semi final, so I doubt it's the actual finale but the final of the tournament
Jul 10, 2023 5:31 PM
Jan 2021
Yosakusan said:
The pacing of the final 100 chapters is the EXACT same as the rest of the series. Meaning you'd need at least 30+ episodes to adapt it all. The movies will not be 2h long. No anime movie is that long. They'll probably be 1h 30 min averege. If you use basic logic you'll come to the inevitable conclusion that this is doomed to fail. But yes, at least the animation will be pretty to look at, if that's all ur interested in when watching Haikyuu.
If a movie being slightly faster paced than the rest of the series means it's "doomed to fail" then I guess yeah its doomed but I'd rather just wait and see what the movies are like because ultimately anime is made by passionate people and IMO earlier parts of haikyuu had a tendency to feel stretched out. It's not about the pacing of the chapters, but the content of the chapters. Everyone screeches about "Pacing This, Pacing That," but ultimately anime is NECESSARILY going to be paced differently than manga. If you want manga pacing, then just read the damn manga. I'm going to watch these movies without reading the manga first and come to my own decision as to whether or not they end the series well. 

Also "No anime movie is two hours long" my man I quite literally just provided two examples, and I could name many more. Hell, I'll just do it right now. All three Kidou Senshi Gundam movies, Violet Evergarden Movie, Disappearance of Haruhi, Evangelion 3.0+1.01, Cowboy Bebop: The Movie, Suzume no Tojimari, and many many more. 

Jul 11, 2023 8:05 PM
May 2022
Oubwio said:
it's called haikyuu final and the last season ended with the semi final, so I doubt it's the actual finale but the final of the tournament

no they announced it on Twitter as far as I remember, that this will be the end of haikyu
so unless they are pulling a big sike on us, I think it will end in the next 2 movies
Jul 12, 2023 12:55 AM
Jul 2022
Shaw07 said:
Oubwio said:

no they announced it on Twitter as far as I remember, that this will be the end of haikyu
so unless they are pulling a big sike on us, I think it will end in the next 2 movies

mb, didn't know that
Jul 13, 2023 2:26 AM
Jan 2023
why does it have to be movies? I will be able to adapt so many chapters to a movie, I'm not sure it will turn out well
Jul 24, 2023 1:47 PM
Feb 2021
Hell_Senpai said:
Yosakusan said:
If a movie being slightly faster paced than the rest of the series means it's "doomed to fail" then I guess yeah its doomed but I'd rather just wait and see what the movies are like because ultimately anime is made by passionate people and IMO earlier parts of haikyuu had a tendency to feel stretched out. It's not about the pacing of the chapters, but the content of the chapters. Everyone screeches about "Pacing This, Pacing That," but ultimately anime is NECESSARILY going to be paced differently than manga. If you want manga pacing, then just read the damn manga. I'm going to watch these movies without reading the manga first and come to my own decision as to whether or not they end the series well. 

Also "No anime movie is two hours long" my man I quite literally just provided two examples, and I could name many more. Hell, I'll just do it right now. All three Kidou Senshi Gundam movies, Violet Evergarden Movie, Disappearance of Haruhi, Evangelion 3.0+1.01, Cowboy Bebop: The Movie, Suzume no Tojimari, and many many more. 

Bro that's not only "slightly" faster, even if both movies were 2 hours long that would be 240 minutes that wouldn't even be 12 episodes
Aug 9, 2023 3:23 AM

Aug 2013
It will be a movie for each match, I don't think they will adapt post-tournament arc on this, maybe they will do it later in a separate season, speacial/ova or a movie
Aug 19, 2023 8:30 AM
Nov 2021
considering this is a movie the animation quality will become much more better than the anime tv show quality except if they rushed the animation of this movie to grab people money and ruin their reputation of many years handling this series and honestly i will no longer be surprised if they rushed the story on this two sequel movie and remove certain parts to fit the film length
Aug 20, 2023 3:02 AM
Dec 2020
Oubwio said:

The last season ended with the Inarizaki match which is the Round of 32, not Semi-Final. The upcoming match is the Round of 16. So the finals are still a long way
Aug 20, 2023 10:05 AM
Sep 2022
Isn't too early to grieve over the final arc? Seems like the movie part 1 will only cover 1 arc which is NekoKara match, and my hope is that movie part 2 will only cover the kamomedai match and we'll get a full season for the final arc post times skip (like a final season) and OVA for bokuto's arc, and if the movies make money we will get the final arc animated at some point, I'd rather just wait and have a satisfying result.
Sep 25, 2023 5:01 PM
Jul 2015
Reply to StewieStew93
Isn't too early to grieve over the final arc? Seems like the movie part 1 will only cover 1 arc which is NekoKara match, and my hope is that movie part 2 will only cover the kamomedai match and we'll get a full season for the final arc post times skip (like a final season) and OVA for bokuto's arc, and if the movies make money we will get the final arc animated at some point, I'd rather just wait and have a satisfying result.
@Berly93

1. The movies are bound to make money, this is one of the higher grossing anime series made, they don't need to wait for that
2. The trailers for the movie show manga panels that are from post time-skip arcs so what you wrote is pure copium
Sep 26, 2023 12:50 AM
Sep 2022
Agree, The Slam Dunk movie adapted 53 chs in 124 mins (2hrs4mins) and it flowed quite well. Looking at the title for the first movie, most likely it's gonna be just focus on Karasuno VS Nekoma. Karasuno vs Nekoma has only 32 chs, so with a similar 125-140 minute run time we could be looking at a pretty banger movie. Ofc there will be cuts, but they should be minimal.
Sep 26, 2023 12:58 AM
Sep 2022
Reply to Dubisek
@Berly93

1. The movies are bound to make money, this is one of the higher grossing anime series made, they don't need to wait for that
2. The trailers for the movie show manga panels that are from post time-skip arcs so what you wrote is pure copium
@Dubisek not really, looking at the title for the first movie, mostly likely it will be just about Karasuno Vs Nekoma, kamome match most likely will be the 2nd movie or probably until the beginning of the timeskip. The Slam Dunk movie adapted 53 chs in 124 mins (2hrs4mins) and it flowed quite well. Karasuno vs Nekoma has only 32 chs, so with a similar 125-140 minute run time we could be looking at a pretty banger movie. I don't think we're getting the final arc animated sooner or later, if they have to rush scenes to get more content in the movies I'd rather live with an incomplete but faithful adaptation rather than a rush adaptation.
Sep 28, 2023 2:28 AM
Jul 2022
TheRealRouges said:
People are dumb you know, so yeah they take news and don’t know anything so they start panicking

An Anime movie is usually 1:30 hour long and 120 chapters is fucking long.
2 movies are equivalent to 9 episodes . It will take 30+ episodes to adapt 120 chapters.

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.
-DxP-Feb 24, 11:06 AM
Sep 28, 2023 7:28 AM
Feb 2021
DexterDrubo said:
TheRealRouges said:

An Anime movie is usually 1:30 hour long and 120 chapters is fucking long.
2 movies are equivalent to 9 episodes . It will take 30+ episodes to adapt 120 chapters.

Look at what happened with Slam Dunk, with good direction you can do anything.

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.
-DxP-Feb 24, 11:07 AM
Sep 28, 2023 3:25 PM
Oct 2020
I’m starting to believe that they’re just wrapping up the tournament with the movies and then they’re going to do a last season with the final 2 arcs
Oct 2, 2023 4:08 AM
Aug 2021
Afaik Haikyuu Final is planned to be 3 movies
Jan 25, 5:02 AM
Jul 2021
Yosakusan said:

Mitsunaka Susumu is doing the composition. He did the same thing for s1, 2 and 3. I'm confident he can handle this properly.
Jan 25, 5:03 AM
Jul 2021
UltimateKai said:
I’m starting to believe that they’re just wrapping up the tournament with the movies and then they’re going to do a last season with the final 2 arcs

no they're covering the entire manga in 2 movies and wrap up.
Jan 26, 3:35 PM
Apr 2017
Anime_Skaddiel said:
Yosakusan said:

Mitsunaka Susumu is doing the composition. He did the same thing for s1, 2 and 3. I'm confident he can handle this properly.

1st movie confirmed to be 84 minutes long. Yikes.
Jan 26, 9:58 PM
Jul 2021
that post was literally made by me💀
Jan 27, 3:31 AM
Apr 2017
Anime_Skaddiel said:
that post was literally made by me💀

And are you still hopeful this will be a good adaptation?
Jan 27, 5:44 AM
Jul 2023
Reply to TheRealRouges
@TheRealRouges
I’m sorry but how is it dumb for people to be concerned?? This is legitimately the best sports anime and seeing its ridiculously short runtime tells us it is most definitely going to be rushed and not as flawless as it could have been if it were a longer season and not just movies. The absolute worst scenario to end such a perfect anime on that is extremely popular. It’s like all their effort to make ts as amazing as it’s been will probably be flushed down the toilet with flash speed level pacing…people love this anime. It’s just mad frustrating to see how it’s being treated, but it’s never quality over quantity anymore. Haikyu deserved way more than just a finishing two bs movies.
Feb 16, 2:09 AM
Jan 2021
I think the movies will be very good but also wasted potential with 2 movies with 170 min run time total finishing the manga.
Feb 20, 11:38 AM
Apr 2022
I think there is a good chance, that by Haikyu "The Final". They just meant the end of the first nationals tournamant and not the end of the manga.
Feb 23, 2:18 AM
Dec 2016
Now that someone posted here, that the first Movie was just the Nekoma vs. Karasuno Match, i guess the second Movie will be Kamomedai (quarter Final).
Everything between could be an OVA (Timeskip is not very long in the Manga) and the Big V League Game could be the really Final Movie.

More topics from this board

» Crunchyroll announces worldwide release dates!

Skyings - Apr 9

5 by neow_neow »»
Yesterday, 9:08 AM

» For those that watched it and read the manga, would you recommend watching it or just read the manga now

rahmed365 - Apr 6

2 by FurySlasher »»
Apr 18, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Movie: Gomisuteba no Kessen Episode 1 Discussion

Usopp8000 - Mar 11

10 by _MushiRock11_ »»
Apr 16, 2:20 AM

» From where will this movie start in the manga?

Shugo-Shana - Apr 11

1 by chrisraicho »»
Apr 13, 6:35 PM

» The movie is listed for 84 min of total run time, how do you feel about this?

Anime_Skaddiel - Jan 26

27 by Ohina1996 »»
Mar 13, 12:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.