Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jul 4, 2023 9:56 AM
Oct 2019
Alright that was the finale!!

Beautiful way to end the season.

Overall one thing that made me enjoy this anime was the Vibes.
I swear it just made me feel good.

Solid first season.
7/10
Jul 4, 2023 10:03 AM

Feb 2018
What a truly heart-warming series!
I think the setting for the final photo was great and created a really good atmosphere for them both.
Whilst I think it could have done without the summary at the end, which seemed a bit out of place, I would say it was overall a good way to end this season.
Went into this completely blind but glad I did, ended up really enjoying it.
One of a few romance focused anime that I watched this season, and I would definitely say it was one of the best.
Jul 4, 2023 10:17 AM
Sep 2021
this was such a beautiful series with such amazing animation and cinematography.

I'm really glad that her illness didnt have an effect like it did in YLIA... I actually cant handle another anime like that 🤣. At least these two expressed their feelings and are together.

overall, this really was the hidden gem for me this season. I really hope they make a season two because the story and animation style, along with the music, characters and everything else just work in such perfect harmony.
Jul 4, 2023 10:49 AM
Jan 2023
WHY IS IT OVER AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Jul 4, 2023 11:31 AM
May 2021
Loved the anime ❤️. Characters are perfect, Rooting for Season 2 ✊
Jul 4, 2023 11:35 AM
Mar 2023
Would have to say this is my second favourite of the season. loved the relationship and development between magari and nakami.

I really enjoyed the ed as well. always let it play out before closing out hidive
Jul 4, 2023 12:06 PM

Dec 2022
I'm going to miss this show!
Jul 4, 2023 12:07 PM
Nov 2022
Insomniacs After School is a very good Romance anime. I enjoyed every episode. The growing relationship between Ganta and Magari unfolded very naturally and didn't seem forced at all. We had a very cute kissing scene right in the first season, which is actually rare for romance animes. 
In general, the vibe of the anime was very calm and comfortable. Just the right thing for me after an emotional episode of Vinland Saga. The Op was ok but the Ed is just great. I hear it almost every day.

Overall I would give Insomniacs After School a 9/10. I hope there is a Season 2!
Jul 4, 2023 12:49 PM
Feb 2021
The ending was really satisfying.
Jul 4, 2023 1:53 PM
Jun 2016
Amazing. Very few romance stories where I can genuinely feel "I'm so happy for them". It just captures this super meaningful sense of intimacy as very few do. I could feel more dopamine watching some of their more intimate moments than I get from most action anime.

They don't get into a relationship too early due to some weird contrived "pretend boyfriend/girlfriend" plotline, and they don't constantly find themselves in scenes together where they have to suffer each other until they learn to love each other (through some sort of embarrassing misunderstanding that they wait forever to clear up). They just FIND each other.

Every step of the relationship evolves at a really natural pace and it never feels like they rush through a single step. But it never focusses too much on the relationship. There's so many other side stories and B plots that I felt almost just as invested in. The dialogue feels so natural I didn't have to even try to sympathize with the friend group's dynamics, I was just THERE. EXISTING.

The peaceful and serene atmosphere of this show is just great at helping you feel the freedom of their insomniac escape and the uncertainty of their school life. I loved the character designs, character animation, color palette, effects work, and background art. Even if Call of the Night was more fun and stylish feeling this works for the different styles of stories they're telling.

Saying "I love you" is never the end of a relationship or this story, but I would be okay if it ended here. It has a pretty clean ending all things considered and it may be what pushes it over Skip and Loafer S1 (because I have no idea if or when that will get an ending as clean as this one's).
Jul 4, 2023 2:47 PM
May 2022
Zeemod155 said:
Amazing. Very few romance stories where I can genuinely feel "I'm so happy for them". It just captures this super meaningful sense of intimacy as very few do. I could feel more dopamine watching some of their more intimate moments than I get from most action anime.

They don't get into a relationship too early due to some weird contrived "pretend boyfriend/girlfriend" plotline, and they don't constantly find themselves in scenes together where they have to suffer each other until they learn to love each other (through some sort of embarrassing misunderstanding that they wait forever to clear up). They just FIND each other.

Every step of the relationship evolves at a really natural pace and it never feels like they rush through a single step. But it never focusses too much on the relationship. There's so many other side stories and B plots that I felt almost just as invested in. The dialogue feels so natural I didn't have to even try to sympathize with the friend group's dynamics, I was just THERE. EXISTING.

The peaceful and serene atmosphere of this show is just great at helping you feel the freedom of their insomniac escape and the uncertainty of their school life. I loved the character designs, character animation, color palette, effects work, and background art. Even if Call of the Night was more fun and stylish feeling this works for the different styles of stories they're telling.

Saying "I love you" is never the end of a relationship or this story, but I would be okay if it ended here. It has a pretty clean ending all things considered and it may be what pushes it over Skip and Loafer S1 (because I have no idea if or when that will get an ending as clean as this one's).

If you are ever curious what goes on beyond the “I love you”, the manga answers that even better than what was shown this season. The anime only adapted 54 chapters out of 122 at the moment and the final segments after they returned from the trip was almost entirely anime original. I recommend starting from the beginning because the anime does skip some content but you could always start at 52, which is the beginning point of the final episode of the anime.
Jul 4, 2023 4:29 PM

Jul 2022
good anime ig
7/10
Jul 4, 2023 5:58 PM

May 2022
Best romance ever. I can't wait to watch it again.
Jul 4, 2023 6:22 PM

Sep 2021
A nice and slow final episode. The confession was really sweet. I hope in 50 years or something they'll sit on a sofa looking and their camera pictures and happily reminisce about their trip.
Surely Magari will be alive then, right? RIGHT?
The second part was truly a filler, with both the Opening and Ending being played twice and the entire thing being a recap of the show. It was okay though, as they could once again show off the pretty scenery.

For this show overall, it not only started with my lowest expectations among all my seasonals, but was also really boring for the first episodes. Sure, Shiromaru was hillarious and the sceneries were beautiful even then, but it had nothing else. Ganta being such a self-pitying protagonist was also painful to watch. And the insomnia often felt as a plot device turned on and off as needed, especially in Magari's case. How was that girl always so full of energy if she supposedly can't sleep? I had this on the verge of a drop multiple times.

Gladly, Episode 8 really turned this around. Suddenly the "friends" got some good development. There was much more plot, with Isaki's family and Ganta's backstory. The romance took off and was really beautiful. I rarely see romance anime couples truly become special for each other, rather than a couple based on sexual attraction. Ganta really did turn a new leaf and became, as Motoko said, "less insufferable". And with all that (plus more frequent beautiful sceneries!) the show went from "boring" to "soothing". Most of the time. And while that sounds like a thin boundary, it greatly changes how a show affects my mood.
Additionally, this show did have some decent comedy and I feel like there is a lot of potential for future drama around Magari's condition and Ganta's family.

In the end, this show had both very good and very bad episodes. So while that sounds like a 5, I do believe the good ones were really close to 8 or 9 while the bad ones, while outnumbering the good ones, were often rather a 4. And with it's decent ending leaving me with a positive memory, I'll give it a 6/10.

And I hope this gets a second season. I feel like with how slow it is and how interesting it became, there is potential to become a show I really like.
Jul 4, 2023 6:34 PM

Dec 2020
this was a fun anime to watch was just amazing they did not incorporate generic tropes that romance anime typically contain which is something I am really happy about. and just a clear its just nice to see.
Jul 4, 2023 8:58 PM
May 2023
the ending was *chef kiss* so perfect
Jul 4, 2023 10:16 PM
Mar 2023
This episode was so beautiful. Starting with the background scenery to the characters and their interactions. I loved it a lot.
Jul 5, 2023 12:01 AM
Sep 2022
great anime for starters.also there is build up for season 2
Jul 5, 2023 12:08 AM

May 2021
It took a loot of willpower from me to watch the last 2 episodes, they were the bare minimum as usual, nothing new there. But I am glad that I'm finally done with this show, it was real pain, I know the wannabe's will try to disguise this as something special or different but those tricks will only work with the ignorant side of the spectrum, no one who saw the THC saga will even glimpse at this, anyways 1/10 for the show, peak IyaSHITkei and well deserved.
Jul 5, 2023 4:22 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
So season 1 ends without any sad, and I guess is a pretty nice place to end should there never be a season 2. I'm sure most would prefer it to end on a happy note, but I for one wanted a little sad. Maybe that comes later.

This was a good watch, I think everyone can come together in agreement that this was time well spent. Anime as a whole is a 7/10, but a 10/10 has to be given for the highlight, its centerpiece, which is none other than the beach scene at the end of episode 5. Simply ethereal and other-worldly. Few scenes in anything else have made me feel more lonely. I like my beach episodes. But this has set a new standard too high for anything else to reach.

Everything else, was nice. Nothing to write home about, but still nice. If Lidenfilms were to choose one of their titles to get a season 2, I'd still choose for them to go for Call of the Night, hands down.

7.3/10

edit: actually no, let's change that to Boarding School Juliet

NYANPASU
5700XT

Jul 5, 2023 6:14 AM

Jul 2019
Always down for romance anime like this, Tsuki Ga Kirei was another. Its still anime, not on the realistic side but I do appreciate that it ignores the common tropes.
Jul 5, 2023 5:00 PM
ProfessionalDumb
Jun 2022
Fell flat on its face. I don't feel an emotional connection. The leading was overall poor. Alright ending I guess.
Jul 5, 2023 9:49 PM

May 2019
Pretty good ending even if we didn't get to hear Magari's response to Ganta after his confession. I am curious how the interaction with Magari's parents went with Ganta when her parents picked her up from the Mawaki site, like did they ban him from contacting her? Oh, and what about Magari's sister, I'm sure she got in trouble too since she was supposed to chaperone them.

Anyways, this series ended on a positive note other than both of the MCs still have insomnia. The animation was good although I thought there were some scenes that weren't that well animated but at least the backgrounds were well detailed and the storyline was good. I would definitely watch a 2nd season if it is ever announced.

7/10
Jul 5, 2023 10:23 PM

Feb 2019
That was beautiful. I'm glad I watched this anime this season. The music coming on at the perfect moments too was awesome!

One of the cutest couples I've ever seen in anime. Truly a great watch.

Hope to see a season 2! 8/10.
Jul 6, 2023 12:50 AM

Jul 2015
Solid show, was wholesome and sweet seeing these two highschoolers suffering from insomnia finding solice in one another and additionally discover the beauty of astrophotography.
I like it the most when they don't beat around the bush with showing romance, hopefully we'll get a s2.

Jul 6, 2023 4:24 AM

Nov 2017
It was aight. Not bad but not freaking amazing either. Not enough spice, imo. I liked the main duo and the story was fine but not super unexpected or interesting
Jul 6, 2023 7:41 AM

Aug 2017
Kind of boring show. I don't enjoy seinen much. I prefer shounen.
Jul 6, 2023 8:05 AM
May 2022
CarbonMD said:
Kind of boring show. I don't enjoy seinen much. I prefer shounen.

You’d definitely cheered if Isaki died. Good riddance.
Jul 6, 2023 8:22 AM
Mar 2021
One of best romance anime in this season
Jul 6, 2023 8:54 AM
Oct 2020
Thank you. The ending is beautiful.
Jul 7, 2023 7:20 AM
Oct 2021
Best underrated anime for this season, love it!
Jul 7, 2023 9:18 AM
Dec 2022
the all anime was not trhe romance of the season and maybe a little bit too normal and classic the anime don't take any risk
Jul 7, 2023 9:19 AM
Dec 2022
the all anime was not trhe romance of the season and maybe a little bit too normal and classic the anime don't take any risk
Jul 7, 2023 1:30 PM

Aug 2008
Enjoyed this first season (with the main pair, supporting cast, meh) but I am still worried at the hints of future tragedy and its something I don't want to see, have had enough of the tragic death trope.  Hopefully Insomniacs avoids this.  A scare would be fine for the drama but if someone dies I think I'll be more frustrated than sad.
Jul 8, 2023 12:16 PM

Jul 2016
Beautiful final episode. Ganta gave Isaki a proper confession and seeing them acting so embarrassed while taking a picture of each other was simply adorable. And not to mention he also won the photography contest! Congrats!

Overall, pretty good show and easily one of Spring 2023's surprises alongside Skip to Loafer. Solid character writing, wonderful chemistry between Isaki and Ganta from the get go and a heartfelt depiction of romance between high-schoolers that felt both realistic and compelling throughout the episodes.
That said, it was a shame to have such subpar production quality accompanying a storytelling this engaging. Kinda makes me wish a more competent studio (CloverWorks, P.A. Works, etc.) would have picked this project...

But well. Leaving that aside and also the fact of some side characters acting unnecessarily annoying/childish (Kanikawa, Haida and Isaki's sister), Insomniacs ended up being a very nice experience for me. The reasons behind Isaki and Ganta's insomnia were reasonable, I really liked Isaki's chill yet playful personality and as for side characters, I gotta say I absolutely loved Shiromaru-senpai's addition to the cast and her interventions in the story were always amusing to see. Probably the character I'm gonna miss the most alongside the MCs.

7,5/10 -> 8/10 - And there goes my last anime of Spring. Would love a sequel but only if the production improves by the time it arrives.
Jul 8, 2023 1:48 PM
Nov 2020
Amazing anime, in my humble opinion, the best romance out there. Totally loved it, well done to all the Japanese voice actress and actors, and to all the anime staff, hope to see you all back in another season (and hopefully seasons)
Jul 8, 2023 9:54 PM

May 2015
masterfully done romance anime
this is a close second to Toradora as my favorite romance anime
9/10
Jul 9, 2023 7:10 AM
Dec 2014
cryin in the club rn, this ep was so cute :')
Jul 9, 2023 2:55 PM
Oct 2022
Fantastic conclusion! I'd love to see more of their journey!
Jul 9, 2023 8:35 PM
Apr 2023
ptm ya saquen 2da temporada para llorar porque el manga esta para llorar :cccccccccccccc
Jul 10, 2023 3:43 AM

Apr 2020
Really strong ending but some episodes were a slug imo.
Still really good overall 7/10.
Go watch Gintama boyo/grill
My discord server for gaming and anime/manga: https://discord.com/invite/4mqXfNEJ9A
Jul 11, 2023 12:17 AM
Mar 2022
So relaxing and the romance is so wholesome and cute, like I'm already satisfied even though we didn't get to hear Magari's reply to Nakami's confession coz it's already clear that Magari already fell for him kyaaaa~ <3
Jul 11, 2023 12:17 AM
Mar 2022
So relaxing and the romance is so wholesome and cute, like I'm already satisfied even though we didn't get to hear Magari's reply to Nakami's confession coz it's already clear that Magari already fell for him kyaaaa~ <3
Jul 11, 2023 9:11 AM
Jul 2023
This was a great ending, that won't make ou wait for a season 2
Jul 11, 2023 5:41 PM
Jan 2021

I post a link of Mawaki Iseki.

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E7%9C%9F%E8%84%87%E9%81%BA%E8%B7%A1

Around B.C.4000 , Japan is under "Jomon" age. Japanese started to grow rice, Japanese soul food, in paddy field.

By the way, only weak point this anime show is that cat is not cute. Besides it, i love this show ... lighting, drawing and mood.
Jul 12, 2023 9:27 PM

Feb 2014
Such a great anime. The main duo I just loved so much and their struggles just felt very real. No melodrama in this either, it was just natural and personal with how the relationship developed. And the drama that was there felt understandable. Nakami's pain of his mother just leaving out of nowhere is an awful feeling I could imagine. When I learned she didn't just die, but left? I could totally get why him and his dad just felt a little broken from that. And then Isaki with her heart condition and the uncertainly of whether you'll even be alive the next day. All real fears that contributed to their insomnia. I was afraid this show was going to use the insomnia purely as a simple gimmick, but it actually was integrated into the plot and explored why the characters fell into it. Also can we just give a shoutout to the dialog? Really good stuff. This was hovering at a 8/10 for me until the final arc and now the final arc put this over to a 9/10. Everything that was building up before just paid off massively in the final arc. I hope to dear god we get a season 2!
Jul 13, 2023 9:41 AM
Jul 2023
excepted more from this episode, maybe too high expectations
Jul 13, 2023 9:41 AM
Jul 2023
one of the best romance, and for romance i mean really Romance. 8/10
Jul 13, 2023 9:45 AM
Dec 2021
saito_pure said:

I post a link of Mawaki Iseki.

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E7%9C%9F%E8%84%87%E9%81%BA%E8%B7%A1

Around B.C.4000 , Japan is under "Jomon" age. Japanese started to grow rice, Japanese soul food, in paddy field.

By the way, only weak point this anime show is that cat is not cute. Besides it, i love this show ... lighting, drawing and mood.

thanks bro appreciate the link
it's always nice when you learn something form anime
Jul 13, 2023 1:31 PM
Aug 2020
The anime picked up towards the end, a nice welcome indeed. 7/10. I'm curious what the manga has done better according to some people here though.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» So… still nothing about season 2?

A-lil-weeb-dog - Feb 8

17 by saketsahu »»
Yesterday, 2:26 AM

» Anyone else want to try out astrophotography after watching this?

D-A-W - Apr 13

1 by kartik111 »»
Apr 24, 11:24 AM

Poll: » Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Jun 19, 2023

147 by D-A-W »»
Apr 12, 12:12 PM

Poll: » Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Jun 12, 2023

84 by D-A-W »»
Apr 12, 11:41 AM

Poll: » Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Jun 5, 2023

73 by D-A-W »»
Apr 12, 10:23 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.