Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 1, 2023 4:26 PM
Jun 2023
Tldr: need recommendations. If it is similar style, themes, tone, characters(relationships), or tone to CSM I'm willing to atleast check it out. Not interested in Naruto, DBZ, jjk, demonslayor, or the over the top shout talking exposition flashing colours hardcore ecchi stuff. Give me quality, give me something to chew on.

I've caught up to the latest chapter of the manga and I think I've squeezed all I can out of CSM at the moment. Sadly my many many questions don't seem to have concrete answers. Many big plot points and character motivations/actions can't even get a firm consensus from the community. So it is what it is... 🤷

So, what do you guys recommend I try going forward? I've already decided I'll be checking out attack on titan only because I was always curious and apparently a lot of CSM fans come from there. I've also chosen Neon Genesis Evangelion. Apparently Fuji has listed it as being one of his inspirations(or atleast that it was good), and it seems to have a lot of what I like about CSM. Speaking of Fuji inspirations, I'm really on the fence about flcl. Apparently it's a stealth sequel to evangelian. I also know one of the characters was one of the major inspirations for Makima as was the relationship she has with what I think is the protagonist. Super duper into that. Problem is the things I've seen so far seem total cringe to me, everything I don't like about anime, exactly what kept me away from it for so long. Someone want to change my mind on that?

Other than that all I can say is that I think I'm more into the "old school", 80's 90's more gritty "real looking ", style. I've heard alot about how CSM's art and film style is much more in line with those eras, which would explain alot. Also it feels like bleach has been around for 20 years, I've also always been curious about that one, although the recent material looks mediocre to me, as apposed to the older ones from when I was much younger.

Sorry for the essay. What are your thoughts?

Jul 1, 2023 4:34 PM

Apr 2020
Recommend Dorohedoro in terms of craziness, gore and a unique feel to it :) 
If you're alright with a little less production value and a bit CGI, I think it really comes close to the wild fun CSM delivered.
Jul 1, 2023 4:36 PM

Jul 2015
Dorohedoro is the closest thing you'll get in terms of both visuals and overall theme.

Jul 1, 2023 4:47 PM
Sep 2021
dandadan feels a lot like chainsaw man, just lots of crazy shit happening all the time
Jul 1, 2023 4:51 PM

Mar 2020
flippity_floop said:
Tldr: need recommendations. If it is similar style, themes, tone, characters(relationships), or tone to CSM I'm willing to atleast check it out. Not interested in Naruto, DBZ, jjk, demonslayor, or the over the top shout talking exposition flashing colours hardcore ecchi stuff. Give me quality, give me something to chew on.

I've caught up to the latest chapter of the manga and I think I've squeezed all I can out of CSM at the moment. Sadly my many many questions don't seem to have concrete answers. Many big plot points and character motivations/actions can't even get a firm consensus from the community. So it is what it is... 🤷

So, what do you guys recommend I try going forward? I've already decided I'll be checking out attack on titan only because I was always curious and apparently a lot of CSM fans come from there. I've also chosen Neon Genesis Evangelion. Apparently Fuji has listed it as being one of his inspirations(or atleast that it was good), and it seems to have a lot of what I like about CSM. Speaking of Fuji inspirations, I'm really on the fence about flcl. Apparently it's a stealth sequel to evangelian. I also know one of the characters was one of the major inspirations for Makima as was the relationship she has with what I think is the protagonist. Super duper into that. Problem is the things I've seen so far seem total cringe to me, everything I don't like about anime, exactly what kept me away from it for so long. Someone want to change my mind on that?

Other than that all I can say is that I think I'm more into the "old school", 80's 90's more gritty "real looking ", style. I've heard alot about how CSM's art and film style is much more in line with those eras, which would explain alot. Also it feels like bleach has been around for 20 years, I've also always been curious about that one, although the recent material looks mediocre to me, as apposed to the older ones from when I was much younger.

By all means, please give FLCL/Furi Kuri a try. It makes 0 sense when first watching it but it's short and visuals + OST are top tier.

If you want Action + Horror + Comedy → Dorohedoro
Action + Supernatural + Mystery + bonus useless MC LOL → Durarara!!
Demons + Supernatural + kinda mystery? → Devil Survivor 2 [Big disclaimer that I highly recommend the videogame over the animation]

Still, I doubt anyone here can give a proper recommendation since it seems your list is empty. Please, don't be afraid to use your main account to make these kind of forum posts.

Only you can save yourself.
I only know what I know, I guess?
Yuri enjoyer and El Cazador de la Bruja fan
Jul 1, 2023 4:57 PM
Jan 2021
I reccomend Akudama Drive that seems right up your alley
Jul 1, 2023 4:57 PM
Aug 2021
Chainsaw man is fairly unique so it’s hard to recommend anything else for it.

You could check out FLCL, it’s somewhat responsible for inspiring Chainsaw man, and is responsible for Makima and Power’s character.
Jul 1, 2023 5:14 PM
Apr 2023
Manga wise I recommend reading the authors mangas called tatauki Fujimoto before chainsawman!! Anime wise lately I watched Oshi no Ko and it’s nothing like chainsaw man but it’s one of my fav animes along with CSM!
Jul 1, 2023 5:21 PM
Oct 2021
Jjk is not like the other you mention lmao. But dorohedoro, dororo, and Dandadan are all great choices. I’d also recommend Black Lagoon and D-Gray Man. All have action and adventure with more mature themes and conflicts like chainsaw man.
Jul 1, 2023 5:26 PM

Apr 2022
read sakamoto days, the action and comedy are on point, chaos in the city and assassins are there as well. sakamoto days and dandadan are close enough.
Jul 1, 2023 5:42 PM

Aug 2020
flippity_floop said:

I mean if you want to watch something good that’s not shounen then watch monster, I was watching it and I wish I could continue watching it but I don’t have the time, but overall it’s very great.
Jul 1, 2023 5:48 PM
Nov 2020
Honestly JJK is not like the other anime you mentioned, it’s more similar to Bleach except just a bit better imo. Other recs would be Dorohedoro and Dororo. If you want older stuff than anything by Shinichiro Watanabe is good even his newer stuff, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo and Terror in Resonance are my recommendations. And ofc there’s also Tatsuki Fujimoto’s other works that he did before CSM and between part 1 and 2. Fire Punch, Look Back and Goodbye Eri are all classics.
Jul 1, 2023 6:01 PM
Apr 2020
Sakamoto Days, Jigokuraku, Dandadan are the top shonens these days ngl.
Jul 1, 2023 6:14 PM
Jan 2022
cabrera_210 said:

Exactly what I was going to recommend 👌

Just add fire punch too
Jul 1, 2023 6:18 PM
May 2022
Happy to see a lot of people recommending Dorohedoro. It's so good that's really a shame it only has one season.
Jul 1, 2023 7:01 PM
Jan 2022
MAL has recomendation system, you should check that. it's quite accurate
Jul 1, 2023 7:26 PM
Apr 2022
No guns life, in my personal opinion much better than chainsaw
But instead of a chainsaw has a revolver for head
Jul 1, 2023 7:28 PM
Community Mod
Undead

Mar 2022
Thread has been moved to the correct board.
Jul 1, 2023 7:54 PM

Feb 2016
I've not read Chainsaw Man, but it sounds violent. Go Nagai is also known for drawing violent manga.
https://myanimelist.net/manga/1474/Devilman
https://myanimelist.net/manga/1442/Violence_Jack
その目だれの目?
Jul 1, 2023 8:25 PM
Apr 2020
Reversign said:
cabrera_210 said:

Exactly what I was going to recommend 👌

Just add fire punch too

Haven't read Fire Punch yet, but I know is goated too since is from Fujimoto.
Jul 1, 2023 8:42 PM
Dec 2021
eighty six is really good. it has a lot of action and loss, as well as top quality art design and cinematography.
Jul 1, 2023 9:00 PM
May 2015
What exactly do you dislike about anime? Are you one of these new fans who enjoys putting down the medium and other series because you only found one you actually enjoyed?
Jul 1, 2023 9:34 PM
Jun 2021
Something to chew? Yes, Attack on Titan should be next on your list. For me, it was only the fourth anime I'd ever watched, and nothing has lived up to it since (besides Vinland Saga, but I'm not sure you'd be into that one. Maybe check it out, anyway).
TakukariIshikawaJul 1, 2023 9:38 PM
Jul 1, 2023 9:51 PM

Sep 2019
cabrera_210 said:

Jigokuraku anime is bad
Jul 1, 2023 11:43 PM
Jan 2017
I recommend you try berserk, vagabond or Vinland saga. The former 2 in manga version, the latter either anime or manga is fine. If you enjoyed makima as a manipulator, try Monster, one of the best manipulator antagonists ever for me. Attack on Titan is for sure a good choice, you could also give Death Note a try. Akira and Perfect Blue are fascinating movies, Serial Experiments Lain is a series with a similar tone as them. Akira is based on a manga so you might want to try that, but I recommend the movie since the visuals and atmosphere are incredible. Banana Fish is imo one of the best anime with themes of organized crime if you’re not homophonic. ghost in the shell SAC, neon genesis evangelion and cowboy bebop are all also good places to start but probably don’t share much w chainsaw man. Other than that, psycho-pass, baccano, death parade are all decent options.
yoru987Jul 1, 2023 11:46 PM
Jul 2, 2023 12:07 AM
Feb 2023
I know you said no JJK, but Jujutsu Kaisen is yhe closest thing to CSM their like siblings atp. The fans are the same too. They intertwine since both shows are really similar.
Jul 2, 2023 12:11 AM
Jun 2021
Watch devil man, paranoia agent, shoujo tsubaki, perfect blue, jojos etc.
Jul 2, 2023 1:00 AM
Aug 2020
Glad to hear you’re going to try Attack on Titan, the story writing in that is incredible. As for an older/gritty vibe, I highly recommend Monster. It’s 74 episodes but it’s worth it, a genuine masterpiece. It is very grounded and realistic, unlike 99% of anime, and has some of the best character and story writing you’ll ever see in fiction. If you like that, I’d also suggest reading some other mangas by the author of Monster, all of his works are almost just as good as the other (those being 20th Century Boys, Pluto (which is getting an anime in October), and Billy Bat.

As for other anime, I’d recommend Vinland Saga and Made in Abyss as well. Both also have incredible story/character writing and are very grounded/realistic.
Jul 2, 2023 1:17 AM
Dec 2020
you should watch devilman crybaby.
another show with devils where you cant predict the ending, and like chainsaw man has many religious themes and references. its very short too with just 10 episodes i think.
now that i think about it it has a manipulating character as well.
definitely check it out!
Jul 2, 2023 1:34 AM

Sep 2022
flippity_floop said:

What I've watched from your post I'll recommend for you :
1. GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka) old classic goat
2. Cowboy Bepbop, old classic goat
Jul 2, 2023 4:50 AM
Feb 2019
if you haven't seen Jujutsu Kaisen and you really liked Chainsaw Man i would highly recommend it. very similar with characters, mood and story.
Jul 2, 2023 5:11 AM
Feb 2019
Oakkor said:
WhizWhuz said:
if you haven't seen Jujutsu Kaisen and you really liked Chainsaw Man i would highly recommend it. very similar with characters, mood and story.

He said he is not intersted in  Jujutsu Kaisen (JJK) at the top of the post.

okok, dont know all the slang you kids use these days xD but really appreciate the correction, sir.
Jul 2, 2023 5:25 AM
Feb 2019
Oakkor said:
WhizWhuz said:

okok, dont know all the slang you kids use these days xD but really appreciate the correction, sir.

I am 42 actually, so I am not one of those "you  kids" as you blindly generalized, get over yourself already my boy.

i think you should listen to your own advice. hostile right out the gate. that you feel the need to correct me about recommending Jujutsu Kaisen, calling people fanboy elitists for being passionate and telling me to get over myself on a forum for japanese cartoons when you're a 42 year old man tells everyone who you are, so I get that you have pent-up anger but fuck you anyway :)
Jul 2, 2023 5:33 AM
Feb 2019
Oakkor said:
WhizWhuz said:

i think you should listen to your own advice. hostile right out the gate. that you feel the need to correct me about recommending Jujutsu Kaisen, calling people fanboy elitists for being passionate and telling me to get over myself on a forum for japanese cartoons when you're a 42 year old man tells everyone who you are, so I get that you have pent-up anger but fuck you anyway :)

How mature of you to say that,  a flame post as expected from a boy with limited intelligence.

dude you're literally 42 and all you do is flame post, get off your high horse lol
Jul 2, 2023 5:49 AM
Feb 2019
Oakkor said:
WhizWhuz said:

dude you're literally 42 and all you do is flame post, get off your high horse lol

And as expected you don't know what flame post is.

you're sad. i have wasted enough time on you.
Jul 2, 2023 12:03 PM
Mar 2023
flippity_floop said:

i suggest you to give a chance to Fire punch, the previous work of tatsuki Fujimoto.
but i have to warn you: it's really fucked up.
i really enjoyed It but is kinda personal.
so, why don't you give It a shot?
Jul 2, 2023 12:11 PM
Jul 2021
L1ncoln86 said:
dandadan feels a lot like chainsaw man, just lots of crazy shit happening all the time

also it's made by one of CSM's editor
Jul 2, 2023 1:37 PM
Jan 2021
chill bro just watch fairy tail
Jul 2, 2023 2:54 PM
May 2023
flippity_floop said:

I loved CSM before it even had an anime announcement, I read the manga and loved the anime. As of now I been watching Hells paradise it currently airing its first season pretty close to the end of it. For me, it fills the slot for csm, a main character that has a goal thats pushing them and that it but they also don't care about much until they unravel themself similar to denji. and then a side cast that kind of doesn't care for the mc and actually wanna kill him, but over time, learn to get to know him. and it has that same "if you fuck up well kill you" vibe. and the fights are just amazing not to flashy but still very enjoyable also its made by mappa same animation studio as chainsaw man.
Jul 2, 2023 5:07 PM
Apr 2022
NO! never !!! 😠
Jul 2, 2023 5:36 PM
Mar 2022
flippity_floop said:

Chainsaw man was HEAVILY imfluenced by FLCL and I guarantee you will enjoy it. one of the most underrated series of all time.
Jul 2, 2023 5:38 PM
Mar 2022
flippity_floop said:

in addition to flcl.(which is 90s/00s style)
texhnolyze
trigun
cowboy bebop
serial experiments lain
black lagoon (youd love black lagoon)
hellsing ultimate
steina gate
Jul 2, 2023 6:13 PM
Jun 2021
hells paradise? kind of but not really

the mangaka used to be fujimotos assistant before leaving and writing hells paradise
Jul 3, 2023 2:03 AM
May 2022
Summertime Rendering
Jul 3, 2023 8:19 AM

Jan 2022
Spy x Family

Cyberpunk Edgerunners

Bocchi the Rock

Death Note

Mob Psycho

A Silent Voice

Call of the Night

Your Name

Toradora

Fullmetal Alchemist

Erased
Jul 3, 2023 9:04 PM
May 2023
Chainsaw Man is pretty outstanding in its combination of art, tone and momentum. Attack on Titan is clearly a good show, but every thing, the world, the character set, the battles are very epic by comparison, which makes for huge imagery, but also moves with a much slower momentum than Chainsaw Man. NGE is more fast-paced for the most part, but has really significant stretches of nothing happening. Both Attack on Titan and Neon Genesis Evangelion are very low on the comedy side.

For a continuously fast paced show like Chainsaw Man with a good amount of humor and surprise, I'd recommend Bungou Stray Dogs.
Jul 4, 2023 9:05 AM

May 2012
You don't really sound like you want to watch something outside your usual range. I dropped CSM after an episode or two so you can ignore this recommendation if you wish. Still Sakurai Takahiro's best performance after all these years.

More topics from this board

» Anime with Dinosaurs?

SpeedyAlchemist - 7 hours ago

3 by Zarutaku »»
39 minutes ago

» Anime with a villain who can change appearance and impersonate the protagonists?

Gfralp - 12 hours ago

2 by Zarutaku »»
55 minutes ago

» Anime/ Manga to binge

theD00mGuy - May 1

8 by theD00mGuy »»
11 hours ago

» Tachiyomi extensions for spicy content

LoveYourSmile - Yesterday

0 by LoveYourSmile »»
Yesterday, 11:39 AM

» Looking for anime like Aria the Animation and Shiroi Suna no Aquatope

AdityaRizkiS - Apr 27

6 by mo_lave »»
Yesterday, 7:57 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.